PDA

View Full Version : Check out the new Gus Johnson mix

CavaliersFTW
08-28-2014, 03:00 AM
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-grG0tRUF5go/U__Rmp7gxwI/AAAAAAAAFVM/YQP06L4dwAY/s640/Gus%2520Johnson%2520youtubepic2.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uchAeIUAZco

:cheers:

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
08-28-2014, 03:06 AM
His stats are shit...................why make a mix of him????????

PHILA
08-28-2014, 03:10 AM
On another forum an older fan has compared him to Barkley. What a battle that would be under the boards.

"Gus Johnson was a guy born in the wrong era. He was a heck of an athlete - incredibly strong, fast, outstanding jumper. Played above the rim at a time when high-flyers were rare and frankly not appreciated in the same way they are now. Probably the outstanding dunker of his era. I remember him with a decent (good but not elite) mid-range shot but not a lot of distance range. Great defensive player - he not only had the great athletic ability but unlike some who have outstanding athletecism, he also had the interest to play defense. He would get in your grill and not back down an inch! Excellent rebounder and exceptionally dangerous on the offensive glass. I saw some similarity between Johnson and Charles Barkley - Gus was a bit taller but neither had prototypical height to be a PF, yet they both had the strength and athletecism to outplay taller PF's. Barkley certainly had more range on his outside shot, but in terms of (relatively) short guys for their position who were so compact, strong, fast and had incredible hops, I saw some similarity there."

CavaliersFTW
08-28-2014, 03:22 AM
On another forum an older fan has compared him to Barkley. What a battle that would be under the boards.

"Gus Johnson was a guy born in the wrong era. He was a heck of an athlete - incredibly strong, fast, outstanding jumper. Played above the rim at a time when high-flyers were rare and frankly not appreciated in the same way they are now. Probably the outstanding dunker of his era. I remember him with a decent (good but not elite) mid-range shot but not a lot of distance range. Great defensive player - he not only had the great athletic ability but unlike some who have outstanding athletecism, he also had the interest to play defense. He would get in your grill and not back down an inch! Excellent rebounder and exceptionally dangerous on the offensive glass. I saw some similarity between Johnson and Charles Barkley - Gus was a bit taller but neither had prototypical height to be a PF, yet they both had the strength and athletecism to outplay taller PF's. Barkley certainly had more range on his outside shot, but in terms of (relatively) short guys for their position who were so compact, strong, fast and had incredible hops, I saw some similarity there."
Interesting what this person stated of his shooting, is he basing it off film or is he an eyewitness of Gus? On film perhaps he didn't see enough (even though only about 1% of Gus's career exists on film) he shoots quite well in what does exist, good smooth release and shooting mechanics and hits and is willing to shoot from pretty much anywhere, even the deep corners. The one thing I don't see which you do see from great forwards like say, Elgin Baylor, is very many dribble penetration highlights. In fact it looks like he'd rather pull up or pass than try and drive inside most of the time. Though most of these highlights are from All-star games, maybe he played differently in them vs his usual game.

WillC
08-28-2014, 05:04 AM
There's no denying that Gus Johnson was one of the most exciting 'old school' players to watch. Those highlights are incredible.

His skillset was unique. He had the rebounding, strength and athleticism of modern day post player but the speed and perimeter defense (not to mention passing) of a modern day wing player. His game reminds me a lot of Barkley. That's an excellent comparison.

no pun intended
08-28-2014, 05:07 AM
Holy shit. The way he palms the ball when he fake passes. What in the actual fvck? That is so cool. Does some windmill voodoo shit there.

L.Kizzle
08-28-2014, 05:13 AM
He's a good passer.

josh99
08-28-2014, 05:16 AM
Thanks for the video :cheers:. I like how different basketball was back then, it seems to have a different sort of flair than today's basketball.

pudman13
08-28-2014, 09:59 AM

I don't know if you're trolling, but 8 straight years of 11+ RPG, including one of 17.1. That's not impressive to you?

pudman13
08-28-2014, 10:09 AM
If I could go back in a time machine and watch any team, the '68-'69 Bullets may be at the top of my list. Imagine the strength of Johnson and unseld together, and then a prime Earl Monroe. Every game would have been a highlight reel.

fpliii
08-28-2014, 10:14 AM
Looking forward to it. :cheers:

Going to watch during lunch, thanks for sharing!

Psileas
08-28-2014, 10:27 AM
Incredible specimen and talent.
Since a couple of posters above talked about similarities, I wonder how similar to him Maurice Stokes would have been considered.

BTW, his shooting style reminds me a bit of McAdoo.

CavaliersFTW
08-28-2014, 01:59 PM
"I'd say David Lee is more athletic than him. David Lee seems to be stronger, taller, faster, can jump higher. Basically, can do everything basketball related better. Not Gus's fault...his era no one was advanced yet so he had nothing to watch or learn from growing up." - sundizz

L.Kizzle
08-28-2014, 02:36 PM
Incredible specimen and talent.
Since a couple of posters above talked about similarities, I wonder how similar to him Maurice Stokes would have been considered.

BTW, his shooting style reminds me a bit of McAdoo.
Stokes than Baylor than Gus. They're all cut from the same mold. All around the same hight weight build and games were similar.

jongib369
08-28-2014, 02:43 PM
Seeing him defend Oscar, Baylor and West must have been fun to watch.

Great mix :applause:

CavaliersFTW
08-28-2014, 03:22 PM
Stokes than Baylor than Gus. They're all cut from the same mold. All around the same hight weight build and games were similar.
All were built powerfully and were athletic but they weren't all the same size

Stokes was about 6-7 to 6-8 without shoes (Lebron's height range) and according to testimonial ranged 240-260 (Also Lebron's weight range)

Gus Johnson was about 6-6 without shoes and according to testimonial ranged 230-255 (usually 235). Gus was the most explosive leaper of the 3. Testomonial of him dunking from a free throw line take-off point numerous times in his career, during games.

Baylor was about 6-5 without shoes and according to newspaper articles with specific numbers, at his lightest he was 214lbs slimming down one season to alleviate his knees, and at his heaviest he was 236lbs. He generally played between 225-230lbs. Baylor may have had the best body control of the three.

And none of them lifted weights. They were naturally wide bodied.

Compare to Lebron, who measured 6-7 and 1/4 and 245 as a rookie, and weighed as much as 270 (though Lebron lifts weights).

fpliii
08-28-2014, 05:19 PM
Just had a chance to watch. Fun video! :cheers:

WillC
08-28-2014, 05:36 PM
CavaliersFTW, if you find any footage of Maurice Stokes, please can you PM me? Thanks - I'd really appreciate it.

CavaliersFTW
08-28-2014, 05:48 PM
CavaliersFTW, if you find any footage of Maurice Stokes, please can you PM me? Thanks - I'd really appreciate it.
I've got footage of him but there isn't much... not enough for a "mix" in my humble opinion if that's what you had in mind. There's too many important abilities he was described as having that simply have gone undocumented on film. He was described as a less flashy Magic Johnson on the open court, but with the body of Karl Malone. I've got literally none of that, just a few half-court set and some rebound field goals. If you are still interested I'll try and get an initial estimate, but I doubt more than 1 or 2 games worth of random field goals exists of him tops, most of which I think are actually all-star game clips. I'd be hesitant to make a mix about any player with even a 5 game sample size, and even that would be unfair to certain players let alone 1 or 2 games, there isn't enough variety to be seen.

WillC
08-28-2014, 05:59 PM
I have seen a few clips here and there, but not much. I'm not sure how easy it is, but if you ever have time to put his clips together into one short video, that would be amazing. Even if the footage isn't great.

He's a player I'm fascinated by. I have a picture of him sat in his wheelchair laughing with Wilt Chamberlain who is leaning over talking to him. It was taken at one of his Kutsher's charity games. The picture is framed in my office.

And he's the player in my avatar.

BoutPractice
08-28-2014, 06:01 PM
Wow. What a stylish playing style he had...

Some great footage here.

CavaliersFTW
08-28-2014, 06:05 PM
I have seen a few clips here and there, but not much. I'm not sure how easy it is, but if you ever have time to put his clips together into one short video, that would be amazing. Even if the footage isn't great.

He's a player I'm fascinated by. I have a picture of him sat in his wheelchair laughing with Wilt Chamberlain who is leaning over talking to him. It was taken at one of his Kutsher's charity games. The picture is framed in my office.

And he's the player in my avatar.
I'll see what I can put together, I guess it wouldn't take that long to work on it seeing as how little exists. I might not make it publicly viewable though, just post the link on ISH or something when it's finished. Too much of his abilities are undocumented, people tend to assume a player 'couldn't' do what doesn't show up in a mix because people assume mixes come from huge sample sizes. You and most people on ISH know better when it comes to Stokes and players of his era so I'll prob just share it here if I put something together.

WillC
08-28-2014, 06:09 PM
I'll see what I can put together, I guess it wouldn't take that long to work on it seeing as how little exists. I might not make it publicly viewable though, just post the link on ISH or something when it's finished. Too much of his abilities are undocumented, people tend to assume a player 'couldn't' do what doesn't show up in a mix because people assume mixes come from huge sample sizes. You and most people on ISH know better when it comes to Stokes and players of his era so I'll prob just share it here if I put something together.

That would be amazing. I've just trawled through a few videos and I forgot that there are actually a couple of cool clips on YouTube, e.g. of Stokes doing a no look pass, good timing on the boards, setting up his teammates for easy baskets, and one or two clips of him shooting a two-handed set shot and setting screens etc. Nothing too ground-breaking, but cool footage of the first black star of the NBA.

I really feel he could have been a perennial 18ppg, 18rpg and 6apg player, which would have been incredible. Imagine where he'd be in the all-time rankings. It's such a tragic story.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
08-28-2014, 06:15 PM
That stretch from 1:10 - 1:14 is by far one of the greatest plays i've seen that didn't lead to a basket. Gus Johnson had incredible strength, athleticism, and hands.

Great video.

MiseryCityTexas
08-28-2014, 06:37 PM

Obvious troll comment. His rebounding numbers were insane.

HylianNightmare
08-28-2014, 06:49 PM
His passes are insane

MiseryCityTexas
08-28-2014, 06:53 PM
His passes are insane

Gus plays a lot like Lebron with his passing.

L.Kizzle
08-28-2014, 06:58 PM
Have you ever made a Connie Hawkins mix?

CavaliersFTW
08-28-2014, 07:01 PM
Have you ever made a Connie Hawkins mix?
yes but hated everything about it, the music was shit the quality was shit. will re-do it at some point, I've even uncovered amateur courtside footage of him recently that I'll use

L.Kizzle
08-28-2014, 07:05 PM
yes but hated everything about it, the music was shit the quality was shit. will re-do it at some point, I've even uncovered amateur courtside footage of him recently that I'll use
Guy Rodgers mix also. He was a great passer.

Any Jumping Johnny Green footage?

CavaliersFTW
08-28-2014, 09:07 PM
Guy Rodgers mix also. He was a great passer.

Any Jumping Johnny Green footage?
I've got only a little of both

allball
08-28-2014, 09:59 PM

this is what's wrong with this board...

nice video

CavaliersFTW
08-29-2014, 01:39 PM
Defensively I didn't include (due to pacing) some impressive clips where he hand checked his man that tried to "back" him into the post and they stopped dead in their tracks, tried about 2 or 3 crab dribbles, realized they were going nowhere, and had to pass off visibly frustrated. I think Gus Johnson would have been a great defender against a guy like Lebron, similar athleticism and great strength. A little shorter and a tad lighter, but looks to have greater arm length to make up for the inch or so height difference.

LBJ 23
08-29-2014, 01:57 PM
Beast. He and his game looks like a Barkley/lebron hybrid.

MiseryCityTexas
09-15-2014, 03:41 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/t31.0-8/10604716_717621511646089_1631371379527958075_o.jpg

CavaliersFTW
09-15-2014, 03:43 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/t31.0-8/10604716_717621511646089_1631371379527958075_o.jpg
:applause: did you make that?

MiseryCityTexas
09-15-2014, 06:48 AM
Yep. I appreciate it.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to CavaliersFTW again.