PDA

View Full Version : Best series in a Finals loss since 2000?

SouBeachTalents
08-28-2014, 07:23 PM
The nominees

Iverson 2001: 36, 6, 4, 41%

Shaq 2004: 27 & 11, 63%

Wade 2011: 27, 7, 5, 55%

Durant 2012: 31 & 6, 55%

LeBron 2014: 28, 8, 4, 57%

Who ya got?

stalkerforlife
08-28-2014, 07:24 PM
Kobe 2008.

Mr Feeny
08-28-2014, 07:33 PM
Kobe 2008.

Absolutely, especially the 7-22 elimination game 6. Remarkable stuff:applause:

SouBeachTalents
08-28-2014, 07:35 PM

:roll:

How about his 9/26 in Game 1 and 6/19 in the Game 4 collapse

tpols
08-28-2014, 07:38 PM
probably iverson just for his game 1 stealing a win from the undefeated Lakers.

Wade choked hard in 2011 despite his production, Durant was largely invisible in 2012 outside his clutch takeover in game 1 and got abused defensively, and Lebron in 2014 got owned by a role player level SF while statpadding to absolve blame before jumping ship again.

Prometheus
08-28-2014, 07:42 PM
I'll go with Shaquille in 2004 for two reasons:

1. Statistically, it is more impressive than the other choices

2. If Kobe hadn't chucked his ass off, forced the issue, hogged the ball and shot the Lakers out of the series - if Kobe had deferred appropriately to Shaq - Los Angeles would have had a fighting chance against Detroit. Wade's effort in 2011 was similar because Miami could have very well beaten Dallas if LeBron hadn't shit the bed and choked, but Shaq in 2004 was way more dominant than Wade in 2011. I'm still mad at Kobe for that one.

stalkerforlife
08-28-2014, 07:44 PM
Kobe in 08 faced one of the greatest defenses of all time.

JT123
08-28-2014, 07:44 PM
Lebron in 2014, as he had the least amount of help by far.

stalkerforlife
08-28-2014, 07:45 PM
Lebron in 2014, as he had the least amount of help by far.

The guy he was guarding won finals MVP.

JT123
08-28-2014, 07:48 PM
Lebron played perfect defense on him, but sometimes shooters just get hot no matter how well you guard them.

stalkerforlife
08-28-2014, 07:49 PM
Lebron played perfect defense on him, but sometimes shooters just get hot no matter how well you guard them.

lol

Fudge
08-28-2014, 07:50 PM
Easily Durant.

Was against the refs for most of the series and still managed to arguably be the best player in the Finals.

SamuraiSWISH
08-28-2014, 07:52 PM

JT123
08-28-2014, 07:53 PM
Easily Durant.

Was against the refs for most of the series and still managed to arguably be the best player in the Finals.
Naw, he had way too much help. His team was favored and he had 3 legit franchise players riding with him. :facepalm
2012 might honestly be the biggest upset in Finals history.

SouBeachTalents
08-28-2014, 07:56 PM
Naw, he had way too much help. His team was favored and he had 3 legit franchise players riding with him. :facepalm

:facepalm

JT123
08-28-2014, 07:57 PM

JT123
08-28-2014, 08:00 PM
What? The Thunder had the scoring champ, 3 other franchise players, and were completely healthy!
Meanwhile the Heat had 2 injured stars in Wade and Bosh, and were being led by a known "choker"
I don't know if I can ever let Durant into my top 50 after losing to that heavily flawed Heat team.

SamuraiSWISH
08-28-2014, 08:01 PM
5'11, solo scoring act, being guarded by a 6'6 lock down man defender in Kobe Bryant.

Competing against a two headed monster. One of the all-time greatest teams, and playoff runs in history.

Gave said team 48 on their home court to give them the only L they had in the entire post season.

Yea, more impressive.

:pimp:

Fudge
08-28-2014, 08:03 PM
Haha nope. OKC got jobbed by the refs.

dubeta
08-28-2014, 08:06 PM
Damn if only kobe accepted his sidekick role and passed it to Shaq in 2004...

SamuraiSWISH
08-28-2014, 08:08 PM
Damn if only kobe accepted his sidekick role and passed it to Shaq in 2004...
Same way Bron didn't accept his, and sabotaged the 2011 Finals. Only through passiveness instead of selfishness.

dubeta
08-28-2014, 08:13 PM
Same way Bron didn't accept his, and sabotaged the 2011 Finals. Only through passiveness instead of selfishness.

Dude, just think for a sec what you're saying..

LeBron didnt accept his sidekick role because he passed too much?? :facepalm :facepalm

Oh well, can't expect much intelligence from a Jordan stan

Beastmode88
08-28-2014, 08:26 PM

Dude, just think for a sec what you're saying..

LeBron didnt accept his sidekick role because he passed too much?? :facepalm :facepalm

Oh well, can't expect much intelligence from a Jordan stan

He bricked it too much... :facepalm

CelticBalla32
08-28-2014, 08:40 PM

LOL Mr. Feeny I love it. You have one of the best usernames/avatars ever. :D

SamuraiSWISH
08-28-2014, 08:44 PM
No, look up the definition PASSIVE. Has nothing to do with the act of physically passing. I know you haven't reached these words yet being in elementary school. Bron-Bron was pouting because Wade was outshining him on the biggest pressure stage. So he sabotaged their Finals.

ballinhun8
08-28-2014, 08:45 PM
Did someone say LeBron had the least amount of help?

I'm sorry when were Eric Snow, George Lynch, Aaron McKie, Mutombo ever known as offensive thalwarts???

Iverson by far faced the best team out of these guys and stole a game singlehandedly in probably one of the top 5 individual final performances in the post-MJ era.

JT123
08-28-2014, 08:59 PM
Did someone say LeBron had the least amount of help?

I'm sorry when were Eric Snow, George Lynch, Aaron McKie, Mutombo ever known as offensive thalwarts???

Iverson by far faced the best team out of these guys and stole a game singlehandedly in probably one of the top 5 individual final performances in the post-MJ era.
When were Mario Chalmers, Norris Cole, Udonis Haslem, and 40 year old Ray Allen known as offensive thalwarts? :confusedshrug:
Lebron had his best Finals ever, and his team still lost by a RECORD margin. Therefore, he LITERALLY had the least amount of help compared to those other players since their teams didn't lose by a record margin.
Watch the games and look at what their teammates actually produced, instead of just paying attention to the names on the back of the jerseys. Wade is done and Bosh is the most overrated player of our lifetime.

TheMarkMadsen
08-28-2014, 09:07 PM
When were Mario Chalmers, Norris Cole, Udonis Haslem, and 40 year old Ray Allen known as offensive thalwarts? :confusedshrug:
Lebron had his best Finals ever, and his team still lost by a RECORD margin. Therefore, he LITERALLY had the least amount of help compared to those other players since their teams didn't lose by a record margin.
Watch the games and look at what their teammates actually produced, instead of just paying attention to the names on the back of the jerseys. Wade is done and Bosh is the most overrated player of our lifetime.

Wade averaged 23/6/5 in the 2012 finals, Bosh averaged 15 & 9, Battier averaged 12ppg on 85% TS

Ray Allen still to this day isn't 40

you are an idiotic moron and a terrible troll

JT123
08-28-2014, 09:35 PM
Wade averaged 23/6/5 in the 2012 finals, Bosh averaged 15 & 9, Battier averaged 12ppg on 85% TS

Ray Allen still to this day isn't 40

you are an idiotic moron and a terrible troll
Read the thread title jackass. :facepalm
We are talking about Finals LOSES! What the hell does the 2012 Finals have to do with the 2014 Finals? I knew Kobe stans were retards, but I at least thought you guys could read. :hammerhead:

ballinhun8
08-28-2014, 09:35 PM

Really. Gonna try to discredit Bosh and Wade as if their nobodies? How do you expect anyone to give you any slice of respectability or side with you when you make ridiculous statements like that?

How about asking why LeBron disappeared for stretches in important times during the finals?

Hey Yo
08-28-2014, 09:37 PM
No, look up the definition PASSIVE. Has nothing to do with the act of physically passing. I know you haven't reached these words yet being in elementary school. Bron-Bron was pouting because Wade was outshining him on the biggest pressure stage. So he sabotaged their Finals.
James carried the team all season.

Wade before the Finals started:

"hey man, how about you hold back so I can get another FMVP."

SouBeachTalents
08-28-2014, 09:44 PM

100% false. LeBron was slightly better than Wade in 2011, it was basically a 1A/1B situation, and Bosh had his best season in Miami that year as well.

JT123
08-28-2014, 09:44 PM
Really. Gonna try to discredit Bosh and Wade as if their nobodies? How do you expect anyone to give you any slice of respectability or side with you when you make ridiculous statements like that?

How about asking why LeBron disappeared for stretches in important times during the finals?
So you gonna try and act like Wade is still someone who strikes fear into opposing defenses every night? Wade can't be counted on to be consistent anymore. Anyone who is objective and has spent any time watching him over the last 2 seasons can tell you that.
If Bosh and Wade are as great as you claim why did Miami's offense completely fall apart after Lebron cramped up in game 1? If these guys are true stars they should have at least been able to keep the rest of the game competitive. :confusedshrug:

ballinhun8
08-28-2014, 09:52 PM
So you gonna try and act like Wade is still someone who strikes fear into opposing defenses every night? Wade can't be counted on to be consistent anymore. Anyone who is objective and has spent any time watching him over the last 2 seasons can tell you that.
If Bosh and Wade are as great as you claim why did Miami's offense completely fall apart after Lebron cramped up in game 1? If these guys are true stars they should have at least been able to keep the rest of the game competitive. :confusedshrug:

I did not say anyone of those things. Don't try to claim that is what I'm arguing about. Those guys are still talented and can have a series where they average in the 20s. Especially Bosh. Just their roles were reduced with a guy like James on the team.

What I argued about but you seemed to get off topic was that names had less than Iverson. Which is just not true.

Bosh and Wade with 2 DLeaguers and James would've been better than Iverson and his starting lineup. There is just no arguing that.

JT123
08-28-2014, 10:09 PM
What I argued about but you seemed to get off topic was that names had less than Iverson. Which is just not true.

Bosh and Wade with 2 DLeaguers and James would've been better than Iverson and his starting lineup. There is just no arguing that.
Like I said before, you have to do more analysis than just looking at names on the back of jerseys. When Wade is slumping the way he was in the Finals he really is no more valuable than a guy like Aaron Mckie. Wade was missing wide open layups, so you could argue that he was even less valuable than a Mckie. Mckie would at least hit open layups and play solid defense, which Wade was unable to do. As for Bosh, I can understand him not averaging 20 points, but there is no excuse for him to not be rebounding! There is no excuse for him to be getting abused in the post by every semi decent big he goes up against. Lebron needed Bosh to find a way to make his presence felt in the series, but Bosh simply couldn't because he is overrated, as I stated earlier. Mutombo would probably have been more valuable to Lebron in the 2014 Finals, as he could at least play elite defense and rebound.

GrapeApe
08-28-2014, 10:12 PM

No and no.

Anyway, to answer the OP's question I'll say Shaq in '04.

JohnFreeman
08-28-2014, 10:13 PM
Iverson was awesome to watch, so I choose him

AintNoSunshine
08-28-2014, 10:30 PM
The nominees

Shaq 2004: 27 & 11, 63%

Wade 2011: 27, 7, 5, 55%

Durant 2012: 31 & 6, 55%

LeBron 2014: 28, 8, 4, 57%

Who ya got?

Damn Kobe:biggums:

Cleverness
08-28-2014, 11:02 PM

And he was held to 17.8 ppg, lowest for any finals MVP since Magic Johnson had 17.7 ppg in 1982. Let's not pretend the Spurs didn't dismantle the entire Heat squad as a complete team.

tpols
08-28-2014, 11:09 PM
And he was held to 17.8 ppg, lowest for any finals MVP since Magic Johnson had 17.7 ppg in 1982. Let's not pretend the Spurs didn't dismantle the entire Heat squad as a complete team.

He scored 24ppg on 70%FG over the final 3 games that put the Heat to rest.. he completely torched Lebron.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
08-28-2014, 11:21 PM
I would say Shaq's 2004 finals if we're accounting for all-around play. Dude not only shot the ball well (on a high volume), but rebounded and played defense at an elite level as well (not sure anyone thinks Ben Wallace is known for his scoring arsenal, but Shaq still held him to games of 33%, 40% and 45% shooting).

I also don't think Kobe "single-handedly" cost the Lakers that series, either. Malone and Payton looked old and hobbled. Just not enough scoring from the Lakers, evidenced by that 69 point performance their first game in Detroit (one of the ugliest basketball games I've ever seen).

Prometheus
08-28-2014, 11:45 PM
I would say Shaq's 2004 finals if we're accounting for all-around play. Dude not only shot the ball well (on a high volume), but rebounded and played defense at an elite level as well (not sure anyone thinks Ben Wallace is known for his scoring arsenal, but Shaq still held him to games of 33%, 40% and 45% shooting).

I also don't think Kobe "single-handedly" cost the Lakers that series, either. Malone and Payton looked old and hobbled. Just not enough scoring from the Lakers, evidenced by that 69 point performance their first game in Detroit (one of the ugliest basketball games I've ever seen).

Kobe didn't single-handedly cost the Lakers the series. Even if he had deferred appropriately, Detroit still probably would have won handily. It's not like anyone else on the LA roster was able to get theirs... only Shaq. But the thing is, Shaq was being single-covered by Ben Wallace and Elden Campbell, while the entire Detroit defense was swarming Kobe every time he put the ball on the floor. He should have recognized it, swallowed his pride, and dropped his output to about ten shots per game, setting up Shaq at every last opportunity. But instead he continued to take bad shots and force the issue. They probably still would have lost, but at least they might have had a chance.

Cleverness
08-28-2014, 11:48 PM
He scored 24ppg on 70%FG over the final 3 games that put the Heat to rest.. he completely torched Lebron.

LeBron shot 67% when guarded by Leonard for the first 3 games. The Heat shot 28% when guarded by Leonard.

I wasn't being serious about LeBron playing great defense on him. LeBron played fine though. It was Wade's defense that was garbage in that series.

Here's Leonard's spectacular game 3, where he scored 29 points: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDhXl7cl2Yo

He hit a three pointer with LeBron's hand in his face, a fadeaway three pointer from the corner, and 1 FT (LeBron fouled him in garbage time) vs Lebron (7 points), but the rest (22 points) was against a Miami Heat team that was completely torched by Kawhi.

Stringer Bell
08-29-2014, 12:01 AM

:oldlol:

WTF? :roll:

Oklahoma was favored over Miami by the whopping betting odds of about -160

Hell, the year before was a bigger upset.

The Pistons over the Lakers in 2004 was probably the biggest finals upset of the 21st century.

Detroit was about a 4-1 to 5-1 underdog

Stringer Bell
08-29-2014, 12:10 AM
Shaq in 2004.

tpols
08-29-2014, 12:12 AM
LeBron shot 67% when guarded by Leonard for the first 3 games. The Heat shot 28% when guarded by Leonard.

I wasn't being serious about LeBron playing great defense on him. LeBron played fine though. It was Wade's defense that was garbage in that series.

Here's Leonard's spectacular game 3, where he scored 29 points: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDhXl7cl2Yo

He hit a three pointer with LeBron's hand in his face, a fadeaway three pointer from the corner, and 1 FT (LeBron fouled him in garbage time) vs Lebron (7 points), but the rest (22 points) was against a Miami Heat team that was completely torched by Kawhi.

Yea I dont think Lebron played terrible defense or anything.. its just, he got torched by an offensive role player. Can you imagine if JR Smith won FMVP over Kobe? Or Joe Dumars over Michael Jordan? he just got embarrassed by a nobody(relatively) pretty much.

dubeta
08-29-2014, 12:19 AM
Yea I dont think Lebron played terrible defense or anything.. its just, he got torched by an offensive role player. Can you imagine if JR Smith won FMVP over Kobe? Or Joe Dumars over Michael Jordan? he just got embarrassed by a nobody(relatively) pretty much.

That basically just tells us how useless Lebrons supporting cast was in offense AND defense.

LeBron did nothing wrong. Amazing offensively and above average/good defense.

GrapeApe
08-29-2014, 12:27 AM
That basically just tells us how useless Lebrons supporting cast was in offense AND defense.

I wouldn't go that far. LeBron himself would be the first to say he had a sub par series, despite the excellent numbers. He played well but is not absolved of blame, much like Wade in '11.

SouBeachTalents
08-29-2014, 01:04 AM

That's definitely a stretch. He played well, but it's not like he was off the charts like Jordan in '93. Now THAT'S being amazing offensively.