PDA

View Full Version : Adrian Dantley vs. Alex English

Stringer Bell
08-28-2014, 11:57 PM
Who was the better player?

L.Kizzle
08-29-2014, 12:00 AM
English. Both will get you 30 but English will do it in the flow of the game.

bizil
08-29-2014, 01:33 AM
English. Both will get you 30 but English will do it in the flow of the game.

I agree! English was also an underrated all around player too. He was known to get 8 boards a game as well as five dimes a game.

Collie
08-29-2014, 02:54 AM
Dantley was a more talented scorer. He could post up, drive, hit unorthodox shots and was an unstoppable scorer who once shot 66% TS as a 6-5 forward. However, English was not a black hole like Dantley was (though Dantley was a good passer when he put his mind to it), and IMO he was the kind of player that could be a 2nd option on a championship team with a real star (Dantley was traded because he couldn't be THAT guy in the long run).

MiseryCityTexas
08-29-2014, 03:38 AM
Dantley and Kareem never won shit together in the 70s for a reason.

Iceman#44
08-29-2014, 09:20 AM
ALEX ENGLISH
8-time All-Star
3-time All-NBA 2nd team
1 scoring title
25.613 total points (16th all-time)
21.5 career ppg (32th all-time)
10 season with at least 20 ppg
.507 career FG%
.832 carrer FT%
5.5 career Reb
3.6 career Ast
0.9 career STL
0.7 career BLK

Peak of 29.8 ppg, 8.1 reb, 5.3 ast, .551 FG% in different season.
6th in Mvp race in 1982-1983 season with 28.4 ppg, 7.3 reb, 4.8 ast, .516 FG%
Never played in the Finals, best conference finals.

ADRIAN DANTLEY
6-time all-star
2-time All-NBA 2nd team
2 scoring titles
23.177 career points (25th all-time)
24.3 career ppg (18th all-time)
11 season with at least 20 ppg
.540 career FG%
.818 career FT%
5.7 career Reb
3.0 career Ast
1.0 career Stl
0.2 career Blk

Peak of 30.7 ppg, 7.8 reb, 4.8 ast and .580 FG% in different seasons.
7th place in Mvp Race during 1983-1984 season with 30.6 ppg, 5.7 reb, 3.9 ast and .558 FG%
Played in the Finals with 87-88 Piston, losing in 7 games to LA Lakers, scoring 19.4 ppg during 1988 playoffs

Iceman#44
08-29-2014, 09:24 AM
I agree! English was also an underrated all around player too. He was known to get 8 boards a game as well as five dimes a game.

CAREER AVERAGE

ENGLISH: 21.5 ppg, 5.5 rbs, 3.6 ast

DANTLEY: 24.3 ppg, 5.7 rbs, 3.0 ast

PEAK (DIFFERENT SEASON):

ENGLISH: 29.8 ppg, 8.1 rbs, 5.3 ast

DANTLEY: 30.7 ppg, 7.8 rbs, 4.8 ast

:coleman:

JellyBean
08-29-2014, 12:50 PM

Thank you. AD was a great talent but he was a black hole. He would stop the flow of offense. With Alex, who is way underrated player in my eyes, the dude could get you 30/8/4 in the flow of the offense. He never stopped or prevented another player from getting their touches or looks. AD, once the ball went into the post, you knew that 5-7 seconds were gone and you were not getting the ball back.

Alex to me was better.

jlip
08-29-2014, 12:58 PM
Dantley and Kareem never won shit together in the 70s for a reason.

Yeah that full 1.5 seasons they were together...:facepalm

Lebron23
08-29-2014, 04:45 PM
English actually led his team in the conference finals twice. And he was the best scorer in the 1980's.

ImKobe
08-29-2014, 04:51 PM
English actually led his team in the conference finals twice. And he was the best scorer in the 1980's.

Bird and MJ didn't play in the 80s? Nique? Dr J? I'd even put Hakeem and Barkley over him, because they had better scoring seasons.

L.Kizzle
08-29-2014, 04:52 PM
Bird and MJ didn't play in the 80s? Nique? Dr J?
English scored the most points in the 1980s.

ImKobe
08-29-2014, 04:56 PM
English scored the most points in the 1980s.

Point total is the end argument? Others took less shots and were more effective, in MJ's case, took more a game shots and made a higher % of them.

84-89 MJ >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> anything Alex English in the 80s.

L.Kizzle
08-29-2014, 04:59 PM
Point total is the end argument? Others took less shots and were more effective, in MJ's case, took more a game shots and made a higher % of them.

84-89 MJ >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> anything Alex English in the 80s.
He scored the most points in the decade. That's the point he was trying to make.

ImKobe
08-29-2014, 05:01 PM
He scored the most points in the decade. That's the point he was trying to make.

If by scoring the most points, sure. But he wasn't the best scorer that played in that decade. And he never said that English even scored the most points, you did.

bizil
08-29-2014, 05:22 PM
CAREER AVERAGE

ENGLISH: 21.5 ppg, 5.5 rbs, 3.6 ast

DANTLEY: 24.3 ppg, 5.7 rbs, 3.0 ast

PEAK (DIFFERENT SEASON):

ENGLISH: 29.8 ppg, 8.1 rbs, 5.3 ast

DANTLEY: 30.7 ppg, 7.8 rbs, 4.8 ast

:coleman:

LMAO! I'm aware of their career numbers! But I prefer English to Dantley! That was the question wasn't it? They are both underrated all around players but I SPECIFICALLY said English because he was my selection. I didn't diss Dantley at ALL! But with that said, I would take English over Dantley!

3ball
08-29-2014, 05:31 PM
These two guys are the type of player we don't have in today's game.

These guys had individually unique scoring ability and individually-unique style that emanated out of a need for players of that era to have the individually unique scoring moves necessary score ON guys, because the spacing wasn't there to expect an open shot like today's game.

Bob Mcadoo, Michael Ray Richardson, Bernard King, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Kareem... all these guys had individually unique scoring ability that emanated out of the need to score ON guys in that era, because there was no spacing.

For my money, I think it's a tossup... i'll close my eyes and take english.

bizil
08-29-2014, 05:32 PM
Thank you. AD was a great talent but he was a black hole. He would stop the flow of offense. With Alex, who is way underrated player in my eyes, the dude could get you 30/8/4 in the flow of the offense. He never stopped or prevented another player from getting their touches or looks. AD, once the ball went into the post, you knew that 5-7 seconds were gone and you were not getting the ball back.

Alex to me was better.

Great points! Those are the reasons why I picked English too. When it comes to great players, it can often come down to little things or style of game that make the difference. Both of these guys were TRUE alpha dogs (the most premium asset in the sport) that could carry teams scoring wise. But I just prefer the way English gets it done.

bizil
08-29-2014, 05:40 PM
These two guys are the type of player we don't have in today's game.

These guys had individually unique scoring ability and individually-unique style that emanated out of a need for players of that era to have the individually unique scoring moves necessary score ON guys, because the spacing wasn't there to expect an open shot like today's game.

Bob Mcadoo, Michael Ray Richardson, Bernard King, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Kareem... all these guys had individually unique scoring ability that emanated out of the need to score ON guys in that era, because there was no spacing.

For my money, I think it's a tossup... i'll close my eyes and take english.

Well said! Back then u couldn't play a zone defense. So u had no choice but to double team the great players. Plus the game was much more physical too so even lesser defenders were ENHANCED in a sense because if anything they could rough u up. And the three point shot was still in its early stages as well. And two other factors that people forget is the fact that guys stayed in school longer so they come in more ready to rock AND there were less teams around so the teams were deeper in talent.

G.O.A.T
08-29-2014, 06:54 PM
A slightly different twist...

If the Pistons trade for English instead of Dantley, do they ever need to make the Aguirre trade?

Not that an English trade was an option, but in 1986, English and Dantley were comparable players I think.

Xiao Yao You
08-29-2014, 07:29 PM

If the Pistons trade for English instead of Dantley, do they ever need to make the Aguirre trade?

Not that an English trade was an option, but in 1986, English and Dantley were comparable players I think.

They didn't need t make the trade anyway. Isiah wanted his buddy.

bizil
08-29-2014, 07:34 PM

Interesting point! If they get English, I don't think they make the Aguirre trade because I think English's attitude would have gelled better with Isiah. They say a huge reason why Dantley got traded was because he couldn't get along with Isiah. And on the subject of Aguirre, I think he was on the level of English and Dantley. Plus Mark had more range on his shot and exploited the three ball more. In terms of scoring skillset, I think Paul Pierce and Aguirre are very similar.

L.Kizzle
08-29-2014, 07:37 PM
I think English would have fit Pistons better. They could have still somewhat played like they did when Kelly T was there.

I don't think Mark was on their level. I think his teammate Rolando Blackman was even better.

G.O.A.T
08-29-2014, 07:53 PM
They didn't need t make the trade anyway. Isiah wanted his buddy.

After making the trade the Pistons went 45-6 including the playoffs. I can't see Dantley being happy or productive in Aguirres role. They were 32-13 with Dantley prior to the trade. Good, but not the same all time great level team.

Xiao Yao You
08-29-2014, 10:18 PM
I think English would have fit Pistons better. They could have still somewhat played like they did when Kelly T was there.

I don't think Mark was on their level. I think his teammate Rolando Blackman was even better.

Why would they have wanted to play that way? They traded Tripuka for AD because they had no post play.

Pointguard
08-29-2014, 10:34 PM
English is a total flow player. He could score consistently 26ppg, he did it even when paired with a 30ppg scorer. Only Bernard King was quicker with the trigger. They got the ball and got it up quickly and efficiently. One of the few feature players that could do that and consistently score high ppg.

I can't say for sure its better to have that player in every situation - I do think it is the best style of play for offensive minded teams. On that Piston's team Aguirre might have been the best fit. On a defensive team without scorers, Dantley could be the best player as he slows the game down, fewer possessions and gets to the line. A team like the Bulls since 2011 would be better off with Dantley. But that Piston team had a creator, penetrators and shooters. Aguirre was pretty much inbetween Dant and English. He posted deep in the post like younger Dantley, attacked quicker than Dantley, and was the best passer of the bunch before he joined the Pistons.

bizil
08-30-2014, 04:51 AM

With all due respect, I have to disagree. I think all three were on the same level peak wise, but Dantley and English were better longer. Keep in mind English was putting up 25.6 points at age 35. And English and Dantley are older and were in the L five years before Mark got there.

And in terms of Blackman, he was all around wise better than Mark, but not a better player. Blackman at his peak I feel in the all around sense is a top 15 SG of all time. But for overall dominance for SG's at his peak, he isn't at that level. He might not even crack the top 20-25. But his ALL AROUND SKILL LEVEL would have him possibly in the top 15 SG's ever all around wise. Peak Aguirre I feel is a top 15-20 level SF peak wise flat out:

Bron
Bird
Dr. J
Baylor
Barry
Durant
Melo
Hawkins
Hondo
Nique
Bernard King
Pippen
Worthy
Billy C.
Mullin
Pierce
English
Dantley

After these kind of guys, Mark has to come up. And some of the guys I named, I feel Mark was on their level peak wise. But I was just stating the guys I feel are peak wise the best SF's ever. If u list SG's peak wise, u are gonna list MORE than 20 names until Blackman's name comes up.

L.Kizzle
08-30-2014, 05:28 AM
You can compare Aguirre peak with other SFs like Kiki Vandeweghe Marques Johnson Bob Love Glen Rice Lou Hudson George Yardley and Grant Hill.