08-29-2014, 02:00 PM
which one you got and why?

christian1923
08-29-2014, 02:09 PM
which one you got and why?
Breaking bad cause I haven't seen most of the sopranos

KingBeasley08
08-29-2014, 02:11 PM
love em both but I give it to Sopranos just because it has much better characterized characters. BB has an awesome plot that's pure pulp but only Walt (and Jessie to an extent) are fully developed characters.

casual_fan
08-29-2014, 02:20 PM
Sopranos had a bigger influence and therefore critics will rate it higher.

But i got too annoyed with certain plots like the " tony is in a coma " mess or episodes about carmella taking a vacation.
Don

robert de niro
08-29-2014, 02:28 PM
breaking bad

Thorpesaurous
08-29-2014, 02:30 PM
love em both but I give it to Sopranos just because it has much better characterized characters. BB has an awesome plot that's pure pulp but only Walt (and Jessie to an extent) are fully developed characters.

This. Even the world itself, beyond the characters, is more fully developed.

Breaking Bad is almost entirely plot driven, while being pushed to another level by a truely masterful single performance. I'm curious to see how it will hold to re-watching.

TheMan
08-29-2014, 02:31 PM
Picking between the Sopranos and Breaking Bad is like picking between MJ or KAJ as GOAT, both have their arguments...

TylerOO
08-29-2014, 02:32 PM
Sopranos. I felt like I knew the characters like family after watching it. So sad to see it end.

ZeN
08-29-2014, 03:19 PM
The Sopranos Is the better show but Breaking Bad is fun and entertaining in a way that Sopranos was never meant to be.

I wish I would have seen The Sopranos one episode per week. Instead I binge watched it within a month and by the end I was getting very burned out on it. The latter seasons dragged a bit and felt like just moreof the same. Thats more of my issue than the shows fault.

Everything that television is today has in one way or another been modeled on The Sopranos. So it's difficult to put other show above it. Same goes for The Wire.

Qwyjibo
08-29-2014, 05:13 PM
Picking between the Sopranos and Breaking Bad is like picking between MJ or KAJ as GOAT, both have their arguments...
More like KAJ and some other top 5 player.

The Wire = MJ

TheReal Kendall
08-29-2014, 05:19 PM
The Wire >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Breaking Bad >>> Sapranos

dazzer87
08-29-2014, 05:19 PM
Comparing Breaking Bad to The Sopranos??????????? :roll: :roll: :roll: :facepalm

Raymone
08-29-2014, 05:28 PM
1. The Sopranos: Won 5 Golden Globes (23 nominations) and 21 Emmys (111 nominations).

2. Breaking Bad: Won 2 Golden Globes (7 nominations) and 16 Emmys (49 nominations).

7. The Wire: Won 0 Golden Globes (0 nominations) and 0 Emmys (2 nominations).

Raymone
08-29-2014, 05:30 PM
Comparing Breaking Bad to The Sopranos??????????? :roll: :roll: :roll: :facepalm

BB is definitely not on Sopranos level, but it's not as laughable as comparing The Wire to the two.

Orlando Magic
08-29-2014, 05:31 PM
Well Tony Soprano was the first big antihero on tv, and Walter White probably wouldn't exist without him... so the Sopranos.

BTW The Sopranos was just a better show period.

ThePhantomCreep
08-29-2014, 05:44 PM
The Sopranos faded toward the end of its run, while Breaking Bad only grew stronger. BB managed to surpass all others as a cultural phenomenon despite the lack of artistic freedom HBO provides. It is the GOAT television drama.

T_L_P
08-29-2014, 05:46 PM
Breaking Bad, like most shows, relies on its plot to keep the audience interested. The Sopranos wasn't interested in that. In fact, I think Chase hated having to put so many mob scenes in to keep the general audience interested.

The Sopranos is simply the bolder show. Of course you can say Breaking Bad never had a bad episode, but that's mainly because the concepts/conclusions aren't all that daring. TS is richer in a literary sense and more compelling to watch, because it had a lot to say about the world it inhibited -- modern-day America. And the acting doesn't compare for me. James Gandolfini laid down the greatest performance in TV history.

BigBoss
08-29-2014, 09:06 PM
The Sopranos was way better and better written.

Breaking Bad was boring as hell at times. However, the final season was some of the best tv ever.

christian1923
08-29-2014, 11:07 PM

Breaking Bad was boring as hell at times. However, the final season was some of the best tv ever.
When was it boring?

Styles p
08-29-2014, 11:12 PM
im gonna go breaking bad even though i love the sopranos. i just feel that breaking bad was a fresher plot over the whole mob thing you've seen so many times.

JohnFreeman
08-29-2014, 11:18 PM
Sopranos

IamRAMBO24
08-29-2014, 11:47 PM

A man hard to please.

Out_In_Utah
08-30-2014, 12:00 AM
Breaking Bad easily for me.

step_back
08-30-2014, 11:31 AM
I prefer The Sopranos to Breaking Bad. BB was superb but outside of Walt's character the show was pretty much about plot twists which got increasingly more outrageous as the show went on (This is me being overly critical because BB is outstanding)

Regardless of awards etc I still regard The Wire as the best show I've seen.

That being said I have no problems with people putting Breaking Bad in first place. It was truly a sublime show. TV has been dicking all over the movie industry for the last 10 years now.

DonDadda59
08-30-2014, 12:00 PM
Breaking Bad is better written IMO.

To say you personally enjoyed BB more is one thing, but to claim it was the better written series is absurd.

Heavincent
08-30-2014, 12:20 PM
The Sopranos is better written, but Breaking Bad is probably a little more exciting from episode to episode. I enjoy both shows equally.

Oh yeah, and Carmela was much less annoying than Skyler, so that's an advantage for The Sopranos. Skyler was such an insufferable ****.

Styles p
08-30-2014, 12:58 PM
The Sopranos is better written, but Breaking Bad is probably a little more exciting from episode to episode. I enjoy both shows equally.

Oh yeah, and Carmela was much less annoying than Skyler, so that's an advantage for The Sopranos. Skyler was such an insufferable ****.

agreed there.

T_L_P
08-30-2014, 02:46 PM

That's what I come back to when I have a hard time judging the two shows.

Not how annoying they are...but the writing.

Skylar is the typical up-tight bitch wife. Incredibly one-dimensional, whereas Carmela might be the best written character in the whole show. And, again, performances aren't even comparable.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
08-30-2014, 02:56 PM
I liked both, but ultimately, it's Sopranos.

As many of you said, the modern TV dramas we see today wouldn't exist without it, yet TS remains as interesting and multifaceted today as when it was first released.

I also think TS had a broader scope / more complex, well-realized ensemble giving it the edge (like a poster mentioned, you felt by the end of the show, these people were your friends and family).

Don't get it twisted, Heisenberg was fascinating, but the show had a tendency to give characters not named Walt and Jesse short shrift, while Carmela and the rest of the Soprano clan was often just as interesting as T.

TheNaturalWR
08-30-2014, 05:51 PM
A man hard to please.

The only time I was bored was the Fly episode. Like seriously...what the **** was that???:facepalm

CasterL
08-30-2014, 06:10 PM
The Sopranos (and the Wire) are better by a decent margin for me. There's just a lot more to them. Breaking bad is great for pure heart pumping adrenaline type entertainment. For me BB is more like watching a really great action movie (albeit with better acting) compared to something really in the top tier.

DonDadda59
08-30-2014, 06:18 PM
The Sopranos (and the Wire) are better by a decent margin for me. There's just a lot more to them. Breaking bad is great for pure heart pumping adrenaline type entertainment. For me BB is more like watching a really great action movie (albeit with better acting) compared to something really in the top tier.

My sentiments exactly :applause:

AI Thornton
08-31-2014, 01:55 AM
Breaking Bad, like most shows, relies on its plot to keep the audience interested. The Sopranos wasn't interested in that. In fact, I think Chase hated having to put so many mob scenes in to keep the general audience interested.

The Sopranos is simply the bolder show. Of course you can say Breaking Bad never had a bad episode, but that's mainly because the concepts/conclusions aren't all that daring. TS is richer in a literary sense and more compelling to watch, because it had a lot to say about the world it inhibited -- modern-day America. And the acting doesn't compare for me. James Gandolfini laid down the greatest performance in TV history.

:cheers: