PDA

View Full Version : Better overall team: Clippers or Cavs?

hawkfan
08-29-2014, 07:46 PM
Discuss.

ImKobe
08-29-2014, 07:54 PM
Clippers have better depth, better coach (can't put him above an NBA champion until he does something), Cleveland has the better core.

NBAplayoffs2001
08-29-2014, 10:07 PM
Clippers have better depth, better coach (can't put him above an NBA champion until he does something), Cleveland has the better core.

Clippers have no excuse not to make a WCF this year IMO.

no pun intended
08-29-2014, 10:09 PM
Clippers have no excuse not to make a WCF this year IMO.
If you really look at the talent that they have, they honestly have no excuse to make the finals, let alone win a championship.

Meticode
08-29-2014, 10:16 PM
Spurs, Mavs, Clippers and Thunder are closer together than people think. What's going to matter is who is playing the best when any of those teams meet each other. Pure talent isn't going to win them a series.

RedBlackAttack
08-29-2014, 10:24 PM
The Clippers have a sh!t ton of talent, but for some reason I don't see them as a true threat for a title. Maybe I'm wrong about that and the roster looks incredible... they've even had several really nice seasons already.

They have the best PG in the league, one of the best PFs, a great shot-blocking/lob catching center, an electrifying offensive talent in Crawford, great floor-spacer in Redick... and a top notch coach.

The pieces are there. On paper, they should maybe be the favorite. It's strange though. I'd be very surprised if they came out of the West, let alone won a title.... just because, when I watch them play, they don't strike me as a championship level team.

Even though I haven't seen this Cavs team play together yet and David Blatt's motion offense is still something of a mystery on the NBA level with this kind of talent to work with... I still feel like the Cavs have a much better shot.

They have an all-time great player still in his prime, arguably the best PF in the league who would seem to fit next to James absolutely perfectly, the current starting PG for Team USA, a young talent who could be as good as he wants to be in Waiters, the perfect compliment in Varejao who has a huge impact on games without needing plays run for him (great for a team with this much scoring), another "garbage man" of sorts in Tristan Thompson who can play both the 4 and 5 off the bench and impact the game without needing the ball, sharp shooting veterans with playoff experience (Miller, Jones), a veteran utility piece on the wing in Marion...

It feels like they have a great mix of proven greatness, multiple other All-Stars, extraordinary young talent, hustle guys, shooters...

Yeah, I'm rolling with my Cavs for the moment.

Meticode
08-29-2014, 10:27 PM
I think it's pretty premature to rate the Cavaliers above the Clippers right now when we've not even seen this team play on the court together under a brand new (never been in the NBA) coach.

El Gato Negro
08-30-2014, 12:18 AM
Cavs are not done making moves to the roster yet

RedBlackAttack
08-30-2014, 12:28 AM
I think it's pretty premature to rate the Cavaliers above the Clippers right now when we've not even seen this team play on the court together under a brand new (never been in the NBA) coach.
I'm not "rating" anything... just noting that, while they look fantastic on paper and a lot of times on the floor, I've never gotten a championship "vibe" from the Clippers. And that I find it strange because -- personnel wise -- there is arguably no better roster in the league.

It's less about the Cavs and more about how I feel about the Clips.

qrich
08-30-2014, 12:51 AM
I wish we were in the East.

Cocaine80s
08-30-2014, 12:53 AM
Clippers

If Cp3 doesnt choke again this year they make the finals

Smook A.
08-30-2014, 01:51 AM
Both teams have a ton of talent.

The Clippers have arguably the best point guard in the league, Chris Paul. He just turned 29 about 4 months ago, so I'd say he has at least 3-5 more good years left in him. Aside from Chris Paul, they got another superstar, Blake Griffin. Last season was his best year as a pro as he put up 24/9.5. IMO, I felt like Griffin and Paul were both top 5 players last season. These are the Clippers' two main guys. Apart from them, they got really good depth.

DeAndre Jordan, their starting center, might not be much of a scorer but he was still a huge reason why the Clippers were one of the elite teams in 2013-14. He's probably the best rebounder right now, and not to mention that he's a tremendous shot blocker. And holy shit, I just found out that he's only 26. Anyway, other guys that really helped them win games were Jamal Crawford, JJ Redick, Matt Barnes and Darren Collison. That was last season though. JJ Redick didn't play much, but if stays healthy this upcoming season and plays like he did last season, then I don't see why the Clippers can't win 60 games. This season they added Spencer Hawes (I think he's going to be big for them). Their overall depth just looks really nice. Glen Davis can help them, and Jordan Farmar can be productive off the bench.

Moving on, the Cavaliers easily had the best offseason out of all the teams in the NBA. LeBron James came back home! We all know that he will still play at a very high level. He's 29, like CP3, and will be turning 30 in a couple months so I don't see a decline coming any time soon. They also managed to trade for Kevin Love. He'll be a great complementary to LeBron. Cleveland has 2 really nice young players in Kyrie & Dion. Kyrie, obviously the better player, is one of the best scoring PG's in the league. I'm really excited to see how he'll fit with his new teammates and how well he'll develop. He's honestly one of my favorite players in the game right now. Same for Dion.

Now aside from the Cavs' starting lineup, their bench is solid too. Mike Miller & James Jones are two very good 3 point shooters. Shawn Marion is not the player he used to be, but he can still give a team 8-10 ppg and some good defense. Tristan Thompson is a good rebounder and an okay scorer. He's averaged 12/9 in 3 seasons which is good.

Alright, now to FINALLY answer your question OP, I think the better overall team next season will be the Clippers. I have to pick them, because of team chemistry. The Cavs will definitely be one of the best teams next season, but they have to learn how to play with eachother first. It'll take some time, but once they learn then I'll put 'em over the Clipps.

Encre92
08-30-2014, 02:02 AM
Clippers and it's not even close.

DonDadda59
08-30-2014, 02:04 AM
On paper, the Clippers. But they're just one of those teams that for some reason, something intangible- they might never really contend for a title. They have everything, again on paper, to be a championship squad- crazy talented and deep roster, some good defensive personnel, a floor general in CP3, quality all star level bigs, shooting, a proven championship caliber coach.

But if they don't make it past the 2nd round this coming season... who would be surprised?

Meticode
08-30-2014, 05:36 AM
I'm not "rating" anything...
Actually you did when you chose the Cavs over the Clippers.

[QUOTE]rat

dunksby
08-30-2014, 07:11 AM
You have been belittling Blatt since day one, what a xenophobic asshole...

senelcoolidge
08-30-2014, 08:28 AM
The Clippers are the better team, but they are in the tougher conference. The Cavs will have it easy for the most part.