PDA

View Full Version : NBA League Pass vs Ball Streams

Aussie Outcast
08-29-2014, 09:38 PM
From Australia and the price of league pass seems to be getting quite ridiculous in comparison to other countries / in general.

What are some of the pro's and cons of ball streams?

The big positive for league pass for me is they archive games without ads (I'm at work when the games are shown live so have to watch these when I get home). I saw that Ball streams archives games instantly but do they include all the ad breaks with them or do they get rid of them straight away?

Also has anyone used to android app for Ball streams? Would be awesome if that worked well as I saw they have added chrome cast capability which league pass is still lacking.

Any advice is appreciated.

inclinerator
08-29-2014, 10:05 PM
cons are if u have bad connection dont buy ball streams

Meticode
08-29-2014, 10:06 PM
cons are if u have bad connection dont buy ball streams
I've tested Ballstreams on 10MB and it's worked completely fine. Otherwise you have to do the lesser quality stream.

inclinerator
08-29-2014, 10:10 PM
i pay 40 a month for 3 mbps dl speeds

Meticode
08-29-2014, 10:13 PM
What are some of the pro's and cons of ball streams?
Pros would be their customer service is great and understanding. You can literally go into the main chat area and speak with the admin a lot of times. My account auto renewal because I forgot to disable it and after 3 days I noticed and they were still nice enough to refund the money.

The streaming quality is great. I've hooked up my computer via HDMI and I can't tell it's streaming from the laptop.

The big positive for league pass for me is they archive games without ads (I'm at work when the games are shown live so have to watch these when I get home). I saw that Ball streams archives games instantly but do they include all the ad breaks with them or do they get rid of them straight away?
not sure on this. I know the archive right away live, but it depends on the stream. Some of their games are streamed from League Pass, but they usually try to get a local broadcast of the stream up first of the home team (sometimes they stream both the home and away broadcast teams).

I'm assuming when they're auto-archived from live streams the ads are there, but I know there's skip forward buttons as well on the player.

Also has anyone used to android app for Ball streams? Would be awesome if that worked well as I saw they have added chrome cast capability which league pass is still lacking.

Any advice is appreciated.
I haven't used the app yet. I still recommend the service just for the price.

Meticode
08-29-2014, 10:14 PM
i pay 40 a month for 3 mbps dl speeds
Before I switched and got TV+net I was paying $36.99 a month for 30MB (they recently increased it to 60MB for the same price).

T_L_P
08-29-2014, 10:17 PM
I've used International League Pass for a few years and loved it. I share it with my brother so I only end up paying

Aussie Outcast
08-29-2014, 10:20 PM
Pros would be their customer service is great and understanding. You can literally go into the main chat area and speak with the admin a lot of times. My account auto renewal because I forgot to disable it and after 3 days I noticed and they were still nice enough to refund the money.

The streaming quality is great. I've hooked up my computer via HDMI and I can't tell it's streaming from the laptop.

not sure on this. I know the archive right away live, but it depends on the stream. Some of their games are streamed from League Pass, but they usually try to get a local broadcast of the stream up first of the home team (sometimes they stream both the home and away broadcast teams).

I'm assuming when they're auto-archived from live streams the ads are there, but I know there's skip forward buttons as well on the player.

I haven't used the app yet. I still recommend the service just for the price.

Thanks for the advice. I hook my computer up to my TV via HDMI as well so its good to know the quality is maintained.

When you are watching it is it through a flash / java player much like league pass or is there the option to play through VLC? I saw something about VLC / media player support on the site but then it says flash player is required.

Seems like its a bit of a no brainer for the price especially when the quality of the service is better than league pass (especially if the chrome cast functionality works).

JimmyMcAdocious
08-29-2014, 10:21 PM
Does it work well on Roku?

Also Ballstreams is run from Netherlands, I think. So should work internationally.

Meticode
08-29-2014, 10:21 PM
[QUOTE=T_L_P]I've used International League Pass for a few years and loved it. I share it with my brother so I only end up paying

Meticode
08-29-2014, 10:22 PM
Does it work well on Roku?
Ballstreams? Anyone I've communicated with using Roku loves it.

chips93
08-29-2014, 10:25 PM
if you dont watch the games live, then why now just torrent them for free?

Meticode
08-29-2014, 10:25 PM
if you dont watch the games live, then why now just torrent them for free?
Convenience usually. Plus he'd probably watch some live games.

Aussie Outcast
08-29-2014, 10:32 PM
Convenience usually. Plus he'd probably watch some live games.

This is correct. Its much easier to come home after work and just hit the play button then sort out a torrent (some of which dont always come up until 3 days after and by then you already know the result) and wait for it to finish.

Plus on weekends I can sit down with some friends and watch games live.

I dont mind paying for a service but League Pass has gotten to the point where it's not worth it. Especially in Australia where the price is way higher than everywhere else.

Meticode
08-29-2014, 10:36 PM
I dont mind paying for a service but League Pass has gotten to the point where it's not worth it. Especially in Australia where the price is way higher than everywhere else.
Let me put it this way. I was getting League Pass the shady way for a few months paying only $7 for the whole season.

I'd still pay or Ballstreams over that.

poido123
08-29-2014, 10:48 PM
Will be thrashing the ball streams this year.

Internet is not good enough to run League pass unfortunately.

Meticode
08-29-2014, 10:49 PM
Will be thrashing the ball streams this year.

Internet is not good enough to run League pass unfortunately.
Can your internet handle a 3200kbps stream? Otherwise you'll have to use the 800kbps quality.

T_L_P
08-29-2014, 11:16 PM
@Meticode: can I buy Ballstreams for a day before the season starts and watch some old games?

I'd like to test it out before switching to it.

Meticode
08-29-2014, 11:19 PM
@Meticode: can I buy Ballstreams for a day before the season starts and watch some old games?

I currently don't have my account active, but I would assume you could as long as they have the archived games.

If you go here, you can talk to an admin if they're in and ask them...

http://webchat.ballstreams.com/?username=&ident=guest&nick=hs_281

poido123
08-29-2014, 11:34 PM
Can your internet handle a 3200kbps stream? Otherwise you'll have to use the 800kbps quality.

No.

Unfortunately I will have to wait until I can move to a metro area to get the good internet here in Australia.

Where I live is a pretty big city, but absolutely garbage when it comes to a proper internet service.

El Gato Negro
08-30-2014, 12:05 AM
Ball streams>league pass

El Gato Negro
08-30-2014, 12:06 AM

Yes yes u can. Every game from last year is still up and the one day trail is still available.

coin24
08-30-2014, 12:13 AM
How much is league pass in aus this year? I checked last year and it was $260 fu*king ripoff. Standard Australia tax.

Luckily mate hooked up the Indian proxy.

T_L_P
08-30-2014, 12:17 AM
Yes yes u can. Every game from last year is still up and the one day trail is still available.

Thanks. 'Bout to purchase the trial right now. :cheers:

DirkNowitzki41
08-30-2014, 12:21 AM
I've been getting LP for the past couple of years and I was thinking of trying out Ball Streams.. mainly because LP is over priced

outside of that, can anyone give me reasons on why BS is better than LP? I have no idea what ballstreams is. Does it have both the home and away announcers? Does local games and nationally televised games get blacked out? Does it cost $40 for one package where you get everything?

J Shuttlesworth
08-30-2014, 12:26 AM
I've been getting LP for the past couple of years and I was thinking of trying out Ball Streams.. mainly because LP is over priced

outside of that, can anyone give me reasons on why BS is better than LP? I have no idea what ballstreams is. Does it have both the home and away announcers? Does local games and nationally televised games get blacked out? Does it cost $40 for one package where you get everything?
I'm not sure exactly how league pass works, but BallStreams gives you this:

-Live games in HD
-Feeds from both teams
-Has an archive of games (cant' remember how far back it goes)
-Inside the NBA streams
-App for Android/iOS

It's only 40 or 50 bucks for the whole season. Can't remember exactly, but it's a great deal

El Gato Negro
08-30-2014, 12:27 AM

No black outs, this year both teams announcers will be available. everything included one price.

NugzFan
08-30-2014, 12:51 AM
How is bball streams legal?

$40 is tempting.

JimmyMcAdocious
08-30-2014, 01:00 AM
I think because it broadcasts from the Netherlands where it isn't illegal to do what they do (which it would be in the US, I think). Kind of a loophole.

They also have a hockey stream that's been going on for longer than ballstreams. Streams every hockey league.

Droid101
08-30-2014, 01:04 AM
How is bball streams legal?

$40 is tempting.
I don't know how they get away with the legalities, but they pull it off.

The framerate is better than NBA's League Pass.

THEY ARE RAISING PRICES!

Starting September 30th, the prices are going up (slightly). Get in now to save.

http://www.ballstreams.com/ref/4761 - My referral link. Use it or don't, whatevs.

Old 1 year plan was 89.99 I think, it's going up to 99.99 on the 30th.

http://www4.ballstreams.com/support/categories/1/announcements/6043/20142015+Season

New donation amounts will be:

1 Day - $7.49
1 Week - $12.99
1 Month - $17.99
3 Months - $39.99
6 Months - $59.99
1 Year - $99.99

New structure goes in to affect September 30th, 2014 - See more at: http://www4.ballstreams.com/support/categories/1/announcements/6043/20142015+Season#sthash.Caxur63s.dpuf

- 720p, 60 frames-per-second feeds
- 100% coverage of all games
- INCREASED availability of home and away feeds
- instant archives
- iPhone, iPad, Android, Roku, XBMC, PS3, XBOX360, Samsung Smart TV, TiVo, DirecTV Set-top boxes, and thousands of more device access
- Chromecast support (yay gadjex)
- and much, much more! - See more at: http://www4.ballstreams.com/support/categories/1/announcements/6043/20142015+Season#sthash.Caxur63s.dpuf

DirkNowitzki41
08-30-2014, 01:15 AM
I'm not sure exactly how league pass works, but BallStreams gives you this:

-Live games in HD
-Feeds from both teams
-Has an archive of games (cant' remember how far back it goes)
-Inside the NBA streams
-App for Android/iOS

It's only 40 or 50 bucks for the whole season. Can't remember exactly, but it's a great deal

No black outs, this year both teams announcers will be available. everything included one price.

J Shuttlesworth
08-30-2014, 01:32 AM

THEY ARE RAISING PRICES!

Starting September 30th, the prices are going up (slightly). Get in now to save.

http://www.ballstreams.com/ref/4761 - My referral link. Use it or don't, whatevs.

http://www4.ballstreams.com/support/categories/1/announcements/6043/20142015+Season

1 Day - $7.49
1 Week - $12.99
1 Month - $17.99
3 Months - $39.99
6 Months - $59.99
1 Year - $99.99

New structure goes in to affect September 30th, 2014 - See more at: http://www4.ballstreams.com/support/categories/1/announcements/6043/20142015+Season#sthash.Caxur63s.dpuf

- instant archives
- iPhone, iPad, Android, Roku, XBMC, PS3, XBOX360, Samsung Smart TV, TiVo, DirecTV Set-top boxes, and thousands of more device access
- and much, much more! - See more at: http://www4.ballstreams.com/support/categories/1/announcements/6043/20142015+Season#sthash.Caxur63s.dpuf
Didn't realize they are raising prices. Luckily, my service was auto-refilled after the playoffs, and I froze my account until RS starts

Dave3
08-30-2014, 01:54 AM

THEY ARE RAISING PRICES!

1 Day - $7.49
1 Week - $12.99
1 Month - $17.99
3 Months - $39.99
6 Months - $59.99
1 Year - $99.99

- instant archives
Does that mean you have to unfreeze it before September 30th or just buy it before then? Also, how do I use your referral link?

Droid101
08-30-2014, 02:14 AM
Does that mean you have to unfreeze it before September 30th or just buy it before then? Also, how do I use your referral link?
No, if you already paid and froze, I think you're good. Open a ticket with them if you're not sure. They're very helpful.

Not sure how referrals work anymore. Click the link, then go on to sign up I guess. I don't see any other information about it on there now. It used to be that you click the link then request an invite. Now I think you just click the link and sign up and it works. Either way I'm not stressing over it.

T_L_P
08-30-2014, 02:47 AM
Okay, so I've bought the 1-day pass, currently watching Spurs/Timberwolves. The quality is great!

One thing: the stream on Flash keeps saying "Initializing" with a black screen. I am watching the game on the Progressive feed.

Is there any difference?

uber
08-30-2014, 03:46 AM
there is always the possibility to fake your proxy settings (just for the payment) and pay 1/3 price for the league pass.

Instead of

nashwade
09-16-2014, 01:55 AM
any league pass promo code for 2014?

nashwade
09-16-2014, 02:03 AM
can I make the assumption that Ball Stream is not legal and it will not run on Apple TV?

nuraman00
09-10-2015, 01:43 PM
Questions:

1. What's the difference between 6 months and 1 year? The NBA season is 6 months, from the end of October through the 3/4 mark of April.

After that, the playoffs games are all on cable.

2. If a game started 30 minutes ago, can I start the game from the beginning?

When I use LP, sometimes I am ready to watch a game 1-1.5 hours after it has started, but I like how it lets me start the game from the beginning if I want, and I can fast forward through various parts.

nuraman00
09-10-2015, 05:29 PM
For the DVR mode, can I jump around in time? It says the options are play from beginning or watch live, but can I also jump to a time spot?

nuraman00
09-24-2015, 10:37 PM
So I decided to quit NBA LP.

nuraman00
09-24-2015, 10:39 PM
I figure that I can sign up for LP if I need to, later.

After LP Free Preview.

nuraman00
09-24-2015, 10:40 PM
A problem was that Comcast only offers 1 channel for LP in HD.

Don't know what the point of getting full LP is, if most games aren't in HD.