PDA

View Full Version : Why don't more people appreciate what Dirk accomplished in 2013-2014?

masonanddixon
08-30-2014, 06:11 PM
People keep claiming he's on the decline but last season was one of his finest.

I cannot even think of a single player in the NBA right now who could've taken a team of Ellis/Dalembert/Marion/Calderon to 50 wins out West.

So why aren't people still acknowledging that Dirk is still clearly a top 5 player and easily the league's best Power forward?

Smook A.
08-30-2014, 06:14 PM
People keep claiming he's on the decline but last season was one of his finest.

I cannot even think of a single player in the NBA right now who could've taken a team of Ellis/Dalembert/Marion/Calderon to 50 wins out West.

So why aren't people still acknowledging that Dirk is still clearly a top 5 player and easily the league's best Power forward?
Durant, LeBron, CP3, Westbrook, Curry, Davis and maybe even Carmelo probably all could.

But nonetheless, what Dirk did last season was very impressive. After his injury in 2012, I didn't think he was going to have another 20+ ppg season, but he proved me and a lot of doubters wrong.

navy
08-30-2014, 06:15 PM
Dirk had a great season and this could have been a quality thread had you not thrown in that nonsense of Dirk being a top 5 player and the best powerfoward.

TheMarkMadsen
08-30-2014, 06:16 PM
Why are you acting like Monta is a scrub.

Lebronxrings
08-30-2014, 06:20 PM
Durant, LeBron, CP3, Westbrook, Curry, Davis and maybe even Carmelo probably all could.

But nonetheless, what Dirk did last season was very impressive. After his injury in 2012, I didn't think he was going to have another 20+ ppg season, but he proved me and a lot of doubters wrong.

The guy who didn't even make the playoffs :facepalm

To Ops point, dirk is the greatest PF of all time. Its no wonder, he carried them on his back.

masonanddixon
08-30-2014, 06:24 PM
Why are you acting like Monta is a scrub.

Monta was a monster last season--but lets not delude ourselves, nobody wanted him prior to the season and suddenly with Dirk he has turned into an all star.

masonanddixon
08-30-2014, 06:24 PM
Dirk had a great season and this could have been a quality thread had you not thrown in that nonsense of Dirk being a top 5 player and the best powerfoward.

Who else could have taken that team to 50 out West?

Smook A.
08-30-2014, 06:28 PM
The guy who didn't even make the playoffs :facepalm

To Ops point, dirk is the greatest PF of all time. Its no wonder, he carried them on his back.
If Melo had Ellis/Dalembert/Marion/Calderon then his team would've easily won 50 games. Especially if he had a coach like Rick Carlisle.

buddha
08-30-2014, 06:29 PM
Who else could have taken that team to 50 out West?

Blake Griffin / LaMarcus Aldridge / Anthony Davis / Tim Duncan

masonanddixon
08-30-2014, 06:30 PM
If Melo had Ellis/Dalembert/Marion/Calderon then his team would've easily won 50 games. Especially if he had a coach like Rick Carlisle.

How is that possible when he had better talent in NY (albeit a much worse coach)?

But you also make a great point-Carlisle is such a beast it's amazing. I can't believe how much he squeezes out of middling talent.

masonanddixon
08-30-2014, 06:30 PM
Blake Griffin / LaMarcus Aldridge / Anthony Davis / Tim Duncan

None of them

Smook A.
08-30-2014, 06:33 PM
How is that possible when he had better talent in NY (albeit a much worse coach)?

But you also make a great point-Carlisle is such a beast it's amazing. I can't believe how much he squeezes out of middling talent.
LOL his talent last season was nothing compared to the talent Mavs had.

Calderon > Felton, Prigioni
Ellis >>> Shumpert
Marion was slightly better than Amar'e last season. Mainly because of his ability to play good defense
Chandler > Dalembert

Knicks had a lot of injuries too, so that's another reason why they didn't have a good season.

SCdac
08-30-2014, 06:47 PM
maybe because his team barely made the playoffs, they lost in the first round (again), and he didn't lead the Mavs in scoring in the post season :confusedshrug:

Shep
08-30-2014, 07:14 PM
lol what Dirk accomplished? Monta Ellis was the Mavs best player in the regular season.

Cone
08-30-2014, 07:51 PM
maybe because his team barely made the playoffs, they lost in the first round (again), and he didn't lead the Mavs in scoring in the post season :confusedshrug:

they won 50 games in a incredibly stacked western conference with a team that had 9 new players playing significant minutes while dirk, who is the best player, is 35. not much players can do that

plus the spurs got away with alot of BS calls on dirk. they call it even, mavs win. then spurs choke (again)

Cone
08-30-2014, 07:55 PM
amazing how dirk at 35 is still the best pf in the league. no other can carry a team like that

no disrespect to monta who is an all-star caliber player but dirk is easily the best player on that squad

DMAVS41
08-30-2014, 08:22 PM

such a hater...

forget Dirk....but what the Mavs as a team accomplished last year was absolutely impressive and a big deal.

49 wins in a loaded conference while incorporating a bunch of new players and taking the champs to the brink was a really nice season that hopefully leads into something more

back to Dirk...what he did in the regular season was absolutely great...things not many 35 plus year old guys have done.

if duncan, for example, was asked to carry the burden Dirk did last year night in night out...he'd crumble. his team wouldn't be a playoff team at all in the West with the kind of help Dirk had. not enough is made about that in your brain when you come on speaking negatively about Dirk/Mavs

It's all about expectations. You say, (again), like the Mavs should have been making a deep run in the playoffs or something. Nothing about that team speaks to that.

It's just yet another team of guys that nobody in the league wanted. They come to the Mavs...and then people like you talk extremely highly of guys like Ellis or Dalembert or Carter or Marion...or whoever you are jumping on to take credit away from Dirk.

What Rick and Dirk are able to do year in year out with the Mayos and Collisons of the league is impressive whether you want to admit it or not.

Young X
08-30-2014, 08:25 PM
He was top 10 last season, only players that were better were Bron, Durant, Paul, Love, Curry, and probably Westbrook. Don't know why people were ranking Melo and Paul George above him.

DMAVS41
08-30-2014, 08:29 PM
He was top 10 last season, only players that were better were Bron, Durant, Paul, Love, Curry, and probably Westbrook. Don't know why people were ranking Melo and Paul George above him.

You could make arguments for a lot of guys after the top 5 or so. Not sure exactly where Dirk ranks, but people acting like LMA and Griffin were for sure better aren't being honest.

CelticBalla32
08-30-2014, 08:48 PM
I agree, Dirk is so unbelievably underappreciated. Probably for the same reasons Tim Duncan is, he's not a freak athlete. It's ridiculous.

I don't agree that Dirk is "clearly" the best PF in the game though. I think Love and Aldridge are at least on the same level as Dirk, with Griffin not far behind.

masonanddixon
08-30-2014, 08:54 PM
I agree, Dirk is so unbelievably underappreciated. Probably for the same reasons Tim Duncan is, he's not a freak athlete. It's ridiculous.

I don't agree that Dirk is "clearly" the best PF in the game though. I think Love and Aldridge are at least on the same level as Dirk, with Griffin not far behind.

Yes but if you needed one PF to play a game 7, would you even hesitate for a second in picking Dirk?

navy
08-30-2014, 09:43 PM
You could make arguments for a lot of guys after the top 5 or so. Not sure exactly where Dirk ranks, but people acting like LMA and Griffin were for sure better aren't being honest.
Blake Griffin was for sure better than Dirk.

Did you see what he did when CP3 was out?

Came third in MVP voting.

navy
08-30-2014, 09:45 PM
Yes but if you needed one PF to play a game 7, would you even hesitate for a second in picking Dirk?
....Dirk played in a Game 7 last year/

SCdac
08-30-2014, 09:45 PM
forget Dirk....but what the Mavs as a team accomplished last year was absolutely impressive and a big deal.

In the grand scheme, no, not really. Don't take it personal. 49 wins / 33 losses, First Round exit (3 in the last 5 seasons), weak first round from their best player who ran out of gas in the playoffs and saw mostly single coverage from Tiago or Diaw. Monta, Carter, and Calderon carried much of the load, for better or worse. Mavs were a great offensive team but a crappy defensive team. Hey if you're a Mavs fan and you're impressed by that season, more power to you. Surely yall should be pulling for more than scraping into the playoffs and losing early. I never mentioned Duncan, but if we're talking about him, if there's anything to be impressed about Duncan, it's that he's still one of the best defensive and offensive big men in the game currently (two way player). He's the GOAT PF and not just because of his prime. In terms of being "impressed" by an underdog team, I was more impressed by the 48-34 Phoenix Suns and Goran Dragic, who sadly missed the playoffs. Vince Carter throwing it back to the old days was impressive, however. Though he's taken his veteran experience to the Grizzlies.

miles berg
08-30-2014, 11:15 PM
Only PF on Dirk's level is Lamarcus Aldridge. That's it.

navy
08-30-2014, 11:21 PM
Only PF on Dirk's level is Lamarcus Aldridge. That's it.

What the hell is Dirk's level? Are we talking about 2013-2014? Because it is disingenuous to say Blake Griffin wasnt on that level despite a better record, better statistics, more wins shares, per, higher mvp voting, higher all nba selection etc.

Droid101
08-30-2014, 11:29 PM
To Ops point, dirk is the greatest PF of all time. .
Literally every post you make is LeBron damage control.

This is shameful dude. Time to get outside and breathe some fresh air or something.

JohnFreeman
08-30-2014, 11:33 PM
I appreciate it

masonanddixon
08-30-2014, 11:34 PM
I appreciate it

Thanks homie :)

Let's hit up the Bowery and pour some liquor out for Dirk.

JohnFreeman
08-30-2014, 11:35 PM
Thanks homie :)

Let's hit up the Bowery and pour some liquor out for Dirk.
Well he isn't done yet..:oldlol:

Papaya Petee
08-31-2014, 12:34 AM
What did he do exactly? Average 22/7 on a 49-33 team? Ok cool

Sarcastic
08-31-2014, 12:46 AM
Season had a lot to do with the coach. He didn't win those games. The team did.

Hey Yo
08-31-2014, 12:50 AM
Literally every post you make is LeBron damage control.

This is shameful dude. Time to get outside and breathe some fresh air or something.
LOL @ the Kobe lover bringing up LeBron for no reason whatsoever.

ruined.

Cone
08-31-2014, 01:19 AM

at age 35 he proved that he can still carry a team to the playoffs while averaging 22/7 on almost 50/40/90. youre a ****ing moron if you cant appreciate that.

Cone
08-31-2014, 01:27 AM
Season had a lot to do with the coach. He didn't win those games. The team did.

what a dumbass post. dirk is way more important. stop overrating carlisle.

stupid post. cant expect more from a knicks fan, huh?

Nowitness
08-31-2014, 01:29 AM
they won 50 games in a incredibly stacked western conference with a team that had 9 new players playing significant minutes while dirk, who is the best player, is 35. not much players can do that

plus the spurs got away with alot of BS calls on dirk. they call it even, mavs win. then spurs choke (again)

refs call it even and Carter gets called for a travel.

post some vids /images /whatever of some dirk missed calls. i want to see. :cheers:

Reggie43
08-31-2014, 01:50 AM
Why don't more people appreciate what Rick accomplished in 2013-2014?

fixed

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
08-31-2014, 01:54 AM

Westbrook, Curry, Davis and Melo absolutely cannot do what Dirk did
Curry had a MUCH better roster and they only won 2 more games......

StephHamann
08-31-2014, 05:21 AM
LOL his talent last season was nothing compared to the talent Mavs had.

Calderon > Felton, Prigioni
Ellis >>> Shumpert
Marion was slightly better than Amar'e last season. Mainly because of his ability to play good defense
Chandler > Dalembert

Knicks had a lot of injuries too, so that's another reason why they didn't have a good season.

West>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>East

DMAVS41
08-31-2014, 09:33 AM

Really?

So at age 35 he puts up 22/6/3 on 60% TS while playing 80 games and being the best player on an overachieving regular season team in one of the most loaded conferences ever....

And it's just nothing? LOL

I'm not a huge regular season guy or anything, but that is some really nice play out of a 35 year old coming off of his first major injury of his career the year before.

Hopefully that was the last time of his career he has to be the clear cut best player and leader on a team. That burden is too much now...it's been about 13 years of that now.

Time for Dirk to hopefully get the Duncan "rest package"...

SCdac
08-31-2014, 11:30 AM
Oh give me a break, the Mavs had the highest salary in their division (sw) last season... Who exactly are you crying to Dmavs? me? Cuban? the people who determine the salary cap? the talent scouts over in Dallas?

You keep crying about Duncan and the Spurs (a historically better player and franchise)... but it's not Duncan's fault he's still today a great defensive and offensive player and it's easier to build around him, or that you can't really push Dirk to center or small forward right now, because he's older, slower, and just not as flexible as a player (Mavs sucked last season when Dirk was at C and Blair was at PF), or that when Dirk isn't scoring at a high level he's got less to contribute (like elite defense or shot blocking). Why blame Duncan? He took numerous pay cuts in SA... and obviously Dirk has realized it's going to take the same, hence taking a paycut.

I get that Dirk needs as much help as possible... but people aren't exactly going to rave about a season where his team wins below 50 games and he shoots .42% in a weak first round exit.

ninephive
08-31-2014, 11:40 AM

Awww, too bad for you they didn't...instead they win a title (again). Hey, every team chokes...not every team wins title after title.