PDA

View Full Version : How to fight depression?

NBAplayoffs2001
08-30-2014, 08:05 PM
:(

iTare
08-30-2014, 08:06 PM
Mike Tyson.

Nanners
08-30-2014, 08:10 PM
get a hobby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnVjkE87FDY

NBAplayoffs2001
08-30-2014, 08:11 PM
I actually came here for some input.. not as a joke thread.

KNOW1EDGE
08-30-2014, 08:12 PM
Depression is no joke.

I've been diagnosed with clinical depression along with anxiety. I take medication for both. That's not enough though, you really have to FORCE yourself to see the good in everything. I go to therapy once a week as well as see a psychologist.

Get cancer and everyone applauds your courage and calls you a hero and a fighter.

Have a mental illness and everyone calls you crazy, weird, weak etc etc

I'm not ashamed though

Get help if your dealing with depression

Nanners
08-30-2014, 08:12 PM
I actually came here for some input.. not as a joke thread.
if you really think the off topic section of a basketball messageboard is a good place to get real advice about depression, you got a lot bigger problems to worry about.

Smook A.
08-30-2014, 08:17 PM
I've dealt with depression before. Here's what a lot of close people told me to do...

-Have self confidence. You'll need a lot of it. Don't ever think you suck, or you're ugly...

-Do something that makes you happy. If you like video games, play them. If you like to play basketball or football with friend then do that. If you like movies, go to the theater with friends. Do whatever you think is fun or makes you feel good.

-Hang with people. When you're with someone, you won't feel down. Talking and interacting with people helps with confidence and especially depression.

ROCSteady
08-30-2014, 08:18 PM
If it's the real diagnosed condition and not just a wave of the emotion, you require BOTH medication & counseling/therapy.

Combining both of those elements will be proactive in getting this period to be as short as possible.

If you don't take those steps, it is only going to linger and worsen to a deep, dark place and your willingness to help yourself will plummet further as well most likely.

Cocaine80s
08-30-2014, 08:19 PM
damn didnt know Lebron living rent free in your head could lead to depression

NBAplayoffs2001
08-30-2014, 08:23 PM
haha

Trollsmasher
08-30-2014, 08:36 PM
Depression is no joke.

I've been diagnosed with clinical depression along with anxiety. I take medication for both. That's not enough though, you really have to FORCE yourself to see the good in everything. I go to therapy once a week as well as see a psychologist.

Get cancer and everyone applauds your courage and calls you a hero and a fighter.

Have a mental illness and everyone calls you crazy, weird, weak etc etc

I'm not ashamed though

Get help if your dealing with depression
I have some bad news for you. You are being scammed.

KNOW1EDGE
08-30-2014, 09:17 PM
I have some bad news for you. You are being scammed.

Lmao.

Yeah dude, cancer is a scam too.

joe
08-30-2014, 09:38 PM
I would say, as a start, don't think of it as a fight. Depression is often a sadness inside yourself, deep pain that needs compassion and understanding. You might need to take time learning about yourself, pains in your past that you still affect you and guide your behavior. Depression is often a distress signal sent by your body, telling you to take positive action. It isnt your enemy, it is a hurting part of you. It needs help and love. Corny as it sounds.

What if your depression is a medical issue, and not psychological? Is that a real thing? If it is, what I said does not apply.

pauk
08-30-2014, 10:26 PM
I hate the word "depression".... i believe there is no such thing, you are either happy for obvious reasons or sad for obvious reasons, reasons which anybody would feel sad about, reasons which you ALWAYS can overcome if you really want to... its perfectly normal, you are human... and this is LIFE.... welcome to it.... now man the hell up, adapt and prosper, you will fail alot before that happens, thats life, learn from it and move on...

I will let Bruce Lee do the rest:

"“Don't fear failure, in great attempts it is glorious even to fail. Not failure, but low aim, is the crime.”

“Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one”

“If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.”

“A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at.”

“Not being tense but ready.
Not thinking but not dreaming.
Not being set but flexible.
Liberation from the uneasy sense of confinement.
It is being wholly and quietly alive, aware and alert, ready for whatever may come.”

joe
08-30-2014, 10:36 PM
[QUOTE=pauk]I hate the word "depression".... i believe there is no such thing, you are either happy for obvious reasons or sad for obvious reasons, reasons which anybody would feel sad about, reasons which you ALWAYS can overcome if you really want to... its perfectly normal, you are human... and this is LIFE.... welcome to it.... now man the hell up, adapt and prosper, you will fail alot before that happens, thats life, learn from it and move on...

I will let Bruce Lee do the rest:

[I]"

pauk
08-30-2014, 10:38 PM
Ignorance, as are most of the posts in this thread.

Ignorant, as are most of the "depressed"...

KNOW1EDGE
08-30-2014, 10:45 PM

I would recommend you Google "clinical depression" if you are curious as to actual facts and scientific research regarding a topic you are ignorant too.

Depression is as real as cancer. You are a great example of how ignorant and arrogant Americans are when it comes to mental illness. Props to you bro.

NBAplayoffs2001
08-30-2014, 10:46 PM
Hey guys I just talked with family and felt a little bit better. I know I'm having a rough go at life at the moment but my father told me some of the larger hurdles he had to overcome to become successful.

ace23
08-30-2014, 10:47 PM
I hate the word "depression".... i believe there is no such thing
:roll: :roll:

HylianNightmare
08-30-2014, 10:56 PM
Pot on ish daily

Fawker
08-30-2014, 11:17 PM
just get out and do something.

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshhDJIa3x4PEbH48YnB

pauk
08-31-2014, 12:14 AM
I am sorry how this comes out guys, but thats just the way i feel.... i feel offended anytime i hear that word, why? I consider to have lived through REAL problems for years & years, war in Bosnia or Balkans per say (im not American/live in America)... ive seen & endured REAL problems since toddler age.... you wont ***ing believe what i have endured & witnessed, shit only most of you "depressed" guys seen in movies only.... even at this day i still live here and fight harder than you to live a decent life and the happy times are very rare...... if you want details i will be happy to oblige, i just cant help but feel offended someone NORMAL living a NORMAL life is "depressed" and acknowledges "psychological problems" as such because i dont know, a wife/girl dumped him, has family problems, isnt doing so well economically, bla bla bla.... i have heard it myself from MY friends (in Denmark), "Boohoo, i cant get a job, my family hates me, im very depressed".... its just every damn day life..... what i lived is NOT.... i just do feel offended, if i can take that major punch and if i can see the rest of my people take that punch and move on.... why cant you for something so sissy, so normal, which everybody endures? What do you think life is dance on the roses?

There is no such thing as "depression", i hate how everybody feel like they can be depressed.... no, you either are SAD over a thing like anybody else would or truly MENTALLY ILL ("clinic depression") in that case i apologise....

cuad
08-31-2014, 12:21 AM
You can't.

SuperPippen
08-31-2014, 12:27 AM
I am sorry how this comes out guys, but thats just the way i feel.... i feel offended anytime i hear that word, why? I consider to have lived through REAL problems for years & years, war in Bosnia or Balkans per say (im not American/live in America)... ive seen & endured REAL problems since toddler age.... you wont ***ing believe what i have endured & witnessed, shit only most of you "depressed" guys seen in movies only.... even at this day i still live here and fight harder than you to live a decent life and the happy times are very rare...... if you want details i will be happy to oblige, i just cant help but feel offended someone NORMAL living a NORMAL life is "depressed" and acknowledges "psychological problems" as such because i dont know, a wife/girl dumped him, has family problems, isnt doing so well economically, bla bla bla.... i have heard it myself from MY friends (in Denmark).... its just every damn day life..... what i lived is NOT.... i just do feel offended, if i can take that major punch and if i can see the rest of my people take that punch and move on.... why cant you for something so sissy, so normal, which everybody endures? What do you think life is dance on the roses?

There is no such thing as "depression".... either you are SAD over a thing or truly MENTALLY ILL (and that requires no name) in that case i apologise....

This is idiotic. Saying that depression can't exist because there are people who are more miserable than you are, is akin to saying that a person can't be happy because there are people who are better off than they are.

joe
08-31-2014, 12:41 AM
I am sorry how this comes out guys, but thats just the way i feel.... i feel offended anytime i hear that word, why? I consider to have lived through REAL problems for years & years, war in Bosnia or Balkans per say (im not American/live in America)... ive seen & endured REAL problems since toddler age.... you wont ***ing believe what i have endured & witnessed, shit only most of you "depressed" guys seen in movies only.... even at this day i still live here and fight harder than you to live a decent life and the happy times are very rare...... if you want details i will be happy to oblige, i just cant help but feel offended someone NORMAL living a NORMAL life is "depressed" and acknowledges "psychological problems" as such because i dont know, a wife/girl dumped him, has family problems, isnt doing so well economically, bla bla bla.... i have heard it myself from MY friends (in Denmark), "Boohoo, i cant get a job, my family hates me, im very depressed".... its just every damn day life..... what i lived is NOT.... i just do feel offended, if i can take that major punch and if i can see the rest of my people take that punch and move on.... why cant you for something so sissy, so normal, which everybody endures? What do you think life is dance on the roses?

There is no such thing as "depression", i hate how everybody feel like they can be depressed.... no, you either are SAD over a thing like anybody else would or truly MENTALLY ILL ("clinic depression") in that case i apologise....

But yet there is such a thing as depression that millions of people have. It is differentiated from sadness in psychological diagnosis. You are generalizing yourself and people you know against millions. Most from countries you aren't from.

The reason your post offends me is that many depressed people think something is wrong with them because they can't just "snap out of it." People like you who have no understanding say "just get over it," and people try and can't, even when their life is ostensibly fine. You can do damage with such ignorance.

JohnFreeman
08-31-2014, 12:45 AM
Doctors are way too quick to diagnose "depression". Sometimes people just aren't happy

Fawker
08-31-2014, 12:57 AM
oooh i'm depressed. i'm crying out. save me.

save up money and travel to grief stricken lands. pick any place on this earth. it goes away real quick. it will save you and it will be a new experience.

KNOW1EDGE
08-31-2014, 01:08 AM

save up money and travel to grief stricken lands. it goes away real quick. it will save you and it will be a new experience.

Another perfect example of an arrogant and ignorant American discussing something he knows ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about and acting like he has some simple solution that doctors and scientists havent found.

Seeing other people be miserable does not help someone wit clinical depression.

What you wanna be doctors don't know is that clinical depression is a chemical inbalance in the brain. Not curable by visiting "grief stricken lands"

Honestly, do some research or stfu

Fawker
08-31-2014, 01:19 AM
Another perfect example of an arrogant and ignorant American discussing something he knows ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about and acting like he has some simple solution that doctors and scientists havent found.

What you wanna be doctors don't know is that clinical depression is a chemical inbalance in the brain. Not curable by visiting "grief stricken lands"

wtf i dont want him to be miserable or not overcome his situation. granted my solution is pricey and not easy. i wanted him to see world problems.

ZeN
08-31-2014, 01:42 AM
Is there such thing as being a bipolar?

pauk
08-31-2014, 01:46 AM
Is there such thing as being a bipolar?

A type of mental illness, being depressed is not, but being clinically depressed is! :cheers:

pauk
08-31-2014, 01:47 AM
I dont care, man the hell up boys! Grab a beer & just whip it out!

ZeN
08-31-2014, 01:48 AM
A type of mental illness, being depressed is not, but being clinically depressed is! :cheers:
What if many of those depressed people are undiagnosed bipolars? Would you still discredit their depression?

BigBoss
08-31-2014, 02:39 AM
Well for starters. Give your mind a break from all the crazy shit it's created on how awful your life is.

Meditate.

Here's Jerry Seinfield and Howard Stern talking about transcendental meditation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPLn1ZgGxos

Meditation is basically the reset button, and a technique that will come in handy every day. The answer to get out of depression is within you. You have all the intelligence, insight, creativity, etc to figure out how to get out of it, because your life is singular and unique, and no one knows what your going through and what you really need. How could they?

Next step is to literally manipulate your body to feel better.

1. Exercise/sleep consistently
2. Take vitamins, fish oil supplements, eat green, eat clean.
3. Disconnect from the world and focus on yourself for a few weeks.
4. Think positive. Write down things you are greatful for every morning to negate that shitty feeling waking up ( this is cognitive behavioral therapy)
5. Set goals
6. Be creative
7. Talk to ANYONE. Even if it's the internet. Just don't bottle shit in. Let it out.

The list goes on and on.

It's a process, but dude mediate daily, figure out what bothers you, and go get it fulfilled. Keep ya head up lifes short :cheers:

Brokenbeat
08-31-2014, 04:33 AM

save up money and travel to grief stricken lands. pick any place on this earth. it goes away real quick. it will save you and it will be a new experience.

You're an idiot. :applause:

ILLsmak
08-31-2014, 06:01 AM
The only true depression is existential depression because it's the only one that is impossible to overcome.

-Smak

BigBoss
08-31-2014, 12:12 PM
The only true depression is existential depression because it's the only one that is impossible to overcome.

-Smak

Only for atheists.

Eric Cartman
08-31-2014, 12:29 PM
I've been depressed for as long as I can remember. Pills and therapy don't do shit. Neither does meditating and investigating your past.

I think it's just part of the human condition. Everyone is depressed deep inside,, the degree can vary.

Accept it as an inevitable part of life and you will be on your way to success :cheers:

Also another thing, the smarter you are the more likely you are to be depressed. You see the world as it is, a big piece of shit. Take that as a compliment. If you wanna be a dumb shit, ignorant fool, your level of depression will substantially go down.

Trollsmasher
08-31-2014, 12:30 PM

we are talking about psychiatrists here, buddy

their "science" has no grounding in reality

Eric Cartman
08-31-2014, 12:31 PM
just get out and do something.

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshhDJIa3x4PEbH48YnB

That's where the social anxiety kicks in.

joe
08-31-2014, 12:38 PM
we are talking about psychiatrists here, buddy

their "science" has no grounding in reality

Psychology is not a hard science, and the brain is a complicated thing to study. It is not as definite as mathematics.

That being said, they are very grounded in reality. Peer reviewed studies are grounded in reality. Examining the activity level in certain areas of the brain is grounded in reality.

DeuceWallaces
08-31-2014, 12:50 PM
I think a good first step to fighting depression would be to stop coming here.

sweggeh
08-31-2014, 01:48 PM
The fight against depression is more like a painful, long journey. You have to first be equipped with the right mindset and the right weapons when you try to confront your depression. I fought of depression many times in my life, and I can help you to too.

What you need...

Some brass knuckles..

http://ian-henderson.com/content/4.metal/10.brass-knuckles/knuckles.jpg

Depression is a big ***** with one hella strong chin so you gotta get your best pair of knuckle dusters and go for the face.

A high quality samurai sword...

http://www.swordsusa.com/ProductImg/Authentic--high-quality-japanese-samurai-sword-naginata-clay-tempered-blade-very-sharp-b7.jpg

Now you are gonna need a sword to slice and dice that hoe up, so I suggest getting a high quality samurai sword. Depression is a thick mofo (I mean hard to cut through, Im not commenting on its looks). You might need to combine the sword with your knuckle dusters, so you can have ultimate damage close in and slightly further out.

Thats pretty much all I think you need, but PM me for anymore.

RidonKs
08-31-2014, 02:37 PM
How to Fight Depression (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Evwgu369Jw)

AirGauge23
08-31-2014, 09:21 PM
The answer is here

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=352782

That will make it worse.