PDA

View Full Version : Clear-Cut Best Defender in the League?

sammichoffate
08-31-2014, 03:28 PM
I have Igoudala atm

Smook A.
08-31-2014, 03:32 PM
PG - Chris Paul
SG - Tony Allen
SF - Andre Iguodala/Paul George
PF - Serge Ibaka
C - Joakim Noah

Le Shaqtus
08-31-2014, 03:34 PM
PG - Chris Paul
SG - Tony Allen
SF - Andre Iguodala/Paul George
PF - Serge Ibaka
C - Joakim Noah

Ibaka's defense is overrated, and I have Westbrook over Paul, otherwise I agree.

fpliii
08-31-2014, 03:34 PM
Bev
Allen
Iggy
Timmy
Dwight

SCdac
08-31-2014, 03:35 PM
got to mention Kawhi. great man-to-man defender and help defender. great lateral quickness and defensive instincts. huge hands and gets a good amount of steals and blocks

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-f8ExQqwWwDo/U4qdtsS-rtI/AAAAAAAAHKc/nKeyNW-NUvQ/s1600/3.gif

wally_world
08-31-2014, 03:36 PM
No one is the 'clear cut' choice for sure. But if i had to choose, it'll probably be Tony Allen.

SCdac
08-31-2014, 03:36 PM
and don't forget Lebron pissing his pants when Kawhi checked into the game last finals :oldlol:

DonDadda59
08-31-2014, 03:42 PM
Ibaka's defense is overrated, and I have Westbrook over Paul, otherwise I agree.

This. Very good shotblocker but his man, post, PnR, etc is lacking. He bites on every shot fake too :lol

Tony Allen

:applause:

Came off the bench and turned the MVP/Scoring Leader into Mr. Unreliable.

dubeta
08-31-2014, 03:42 PM
LeBron James is the correct answer here

BlackWhiteGreen
08-31-2014, 03:45 PM
No one is the 'clear cut' choice for sure. But if i had to choose, it'll probably be Tony Allen.

This is probably the correct answer.

JT123
08-31-2014, 03:45 PM
Lebron James aka the only guy who can guard 1-5 :bowdown:

MP.Trey
08-31-2014, 03:46 PM
Ding ding ding

SamuraiSWISH
08-31-2014, 03:51 PM
I prefer man defense to versatility, or help defense. Versatility is god given, and help defense is merely effort based. Man defense is still a more important ability to me.

I'd go:

1) T. Allen
2) Iguodala
3) Hinrich
4) Butler
5) Leonard
6) Sefalosha
7) CP3
8) Conley
9) Noah
10) Dwight

HM:
Bron (when they try)
Kobe (when they try)

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
08-31-2014, 03:52 PM
Westbrook over CP:roll: :roll: :roll: Jesus Christ not sure if trolling:facepalm :facepalm

CP3/Rubio
Tony/Jimmy
George/Iggy
Taj
Marc

stalkerforlife
08-31-2014, 03:53 PM
Lebron James aka the only guy who can guard 1-5 :bowdown:

He can guard 1-5, with the exception of his own position - Where his man wins the finals MVP award.

:roll:

stalkerforlife
08-31-2014, 03:53 PM
As of right now, I have to go with Noah and his versatility.

Lebronxrings
08-31-2014, 03:56 PM
PG-westbrook
SG-Jimmy Butler
SF- Lebron
PF- Ibaka
C- Howard

Le Shaqtus
08-31-2014, 04:02 PM
Westbrook over CP:roll: :roll: :roll: Jesus Christ not sure if trolling:facepalm :facepalm

CP3/Rubio
Tony/Jimmy
George/Iggy
Taj
Marc

This just in, having a different opinion is trolling.

SCdac
08-31-2014, 04:09 PM
I prefer man defense to versatility, or help defense. Versatility is god given, and help defense is merely effort based. Man defense is still a more important ability to me.

I'd go:

1) T. Allen
2) Iguodala
3) Hinrich
4) Butler
5) Leonard
6) Sefalosha
7) CP3
8) Conley
9) Noah
10) Dwight

HM:
Bron (when they try)
Kobe (when they try)

Nice list and I agree with most of it. Noah a little higher maybe but whatev

Only question.. Hinrich. He still maintains his man-to-man defensive edge? Admittedly I didn't watch him a whole lot last season, not to mention he has problems staying healthy.

Nowitness
08-31-2014, 04:45 PM
iguodala and tim duncan

love was better than lebron last year.

Milbuck
08-31-2014, 05:02 PM
Purely impact-wise, it's gotta be a big man. Aside from guys like prime Pippen, Jordan, Lebron when he's 100% locked in on defense, perimeter guys just don't have the overall impact of an elite defensive big/shotblocker. It's between Dwight, Noah, DJ, or Marc, I'd probably go with Dwight when he's healthy and motivated.

Position by position for me..

Russell Westbrook
Tony Allen
Kawhi Leonard
Tim Duncan
Dwight Howard

I will say Westbrook is one of the most underrated defenders in the game..he wasn't always this good so it's understandable, but took it to another level this past year. Dude was just a nightmare defensively in the playoffs, he made Tony Parker look absolutely helpless in the WCF.

Graviton
08-31-2014, 05:38 PM
Jimmy Butler is the best perimeter defender in the league, along with Tony Allen. They should be on everyone's list.

Avery Bradley deserves a mention too but we didn't see much of him last season, he is beast though.

SamuraiSWISH
08-31-2014, 05:41 PM
Only question.. Hinrich. He still maintains his man-to-man defensive edge? Admittedly I didn't watch him a whole lot last season, not to mention he has problems staying healthy.
He does have trouble staying healthy, but he's been in the league awhile. He's still relied upon to be Chicago's best perimeter defender along with Butler. You saw how terrible we were when he was injured, and Nate Robinson filled his spot full time.

He has some of the best man defensive skills I've ever seen. In person I've seen him give Wade fits through out his entire career (only defender to do so) ... In 2007 I saw him lock up Kobe. He can guard PGs or SGs, with his combo guard frame.

And all things considering, he doesn't have NEAR any of the physical gifts of any of the other guys on my list. Just pure heart, tenacity, intelligence, and quick feet.

He gets into foul trouble a lot but that's because of a weak era for perimeter defensive rules, and the fact he doesn't have great rep with officials. But I mean, he's a small pro white boy who can frustrate the league's best most skilled, or athletic perimeter talent. Even to this day. He's one of my all-time favorite Bulls.

Westbrook is a good choice too. Long arms, lightning fast, tenacious, gets int he passing lanes. He's an HM for me, he needs more consistency on that end for me to thrust him into the best of the best.

Graviton
08-31-2014, 05:42 PM
Swish you gotta stop overrating Sefalosha though, dude been garbage for a while now, this ain't 2012. All he can do is guard midget PGs nowadays, and even that he is failing a lot. Westbrook and Reggie are better than him at this point.

Nowitness
08-31-2014, 05:42 PM
ps: prime andrei kirilenko is the greatest nonbig defender ever

r0drig0lac
08-31-2014, 08:45 PM
pg- Westbrook
sg- Tony Allen // next season: Harden
sf- Kawhi
pf- Ibaka
c - Noah

hahaitme
08-31-2014, 08:48 PM
pg- Westbrook
sg- Tony Allen // next season: Harden
sf- Kawhi
pf- Ibaka
c - Noah

:applause:

AnaheimLakers24
08-31-2014, 08:50 PM
marc gasol

Hey Yo
08-31-2014, 08:51 PM
and don't forget Lebron pissing his pants when Kawhi checked into the game last finals :oldlol:
That gif was from 2013 and def. didn't piss his pants considering they won B2B titles.

Nowitness
08-31-2014, 08:51 PM
anyone putting kawhi over iguodala :facepalm

kawhi is the second best defender in a great defensive system- number 1 is obviousl tim duncan

iguodala makes the defensive systems and all thenumbers prove it

you people :facepalm

listing ibaka? :roll:

Hey Yo
08-31-2014, 08:53 PM
Jimmy Butler is the best perimeter defender in the league, along with Tony Allen. They should be on everyone's list.

Avery Bradley deserves a mention too but we didn't see much of him last season, he is beast though.
I agree with this.

Don't think Butler's offensive numbers will get much better so he's more well served to getting even better on D.

JimmyMcAdocious
08-31-2014, 09:03 PM
I'd take Conley's defense over CP3 right now.

Milbuck
08-31-2014, 09:21 PM
anyone putting kawhi over iguodala :facepalm

kawhi is the second best defender in a great defensive system- number 1 is obviousl tim duncan

Spurs 2013-14 DRTG...

With Kawhi on the floor: 99.7
With Kawhi off the floor: 105.1

With Duncan on the floor: 103.1
With Duncan off the floor: 101.7

Kawhi is one of those examples of a perimeter player so versatile in both man-to-man and help defense that he can have a greater defensive impact than a quality defensive big...like current Duncan.

Meticode
08-31-2014, 09:27 PM
For me personally each position?

PG - Mike Conley
SG - Tony Allen
SF - Andre Iguodala
PF - Taj Gibson
C - Joakim Noah

#number6ix#
08-31-2014, 09:33 PM
Pg. Beverley
Sg. Bradley
Sf. PG
Pf. Duncan
C. Noah

chocolatethunder
08-31-2014, 10:06 PM
This. Very good shotblocker but his man, post, PnR, etc is lacking. He bites on every shot fake too :lol

You just described Ben Wallace. He was awful on PnR and man. Great weak side shot blocker and great rebounder.

Nowitness
08-31-2014, 10:38 PM
Spurs 2013-14 DRTG...

With Kawhi on the floor: 99.7
With Kawhi off the floor: 105.1

With Duncan on the floor: 103.1
With Duncan off the floor: 101.7

Kawhi is one of those examples of a perimeter player so versatile in both man-to-man and help defense that he can have a greater defensive impact than a quality defensive big...like current Duncan.

http://stats-for-the-nba.appspot.com/teams/SAS.html

whatever helps u sleep at night :facepalm

what a bad troll. if its just impact, duncan shits on kawhi- hes a ****ing center god damn it. based on position those numbers on that link stillsay its duncan

:facepalm

Milbuck
08-31-2014, 10:59 PM
http://stats-for-the-nba.appspot.com/teams/SAS.html

whatever helps u sleep at night :facepalm

what a bad troll. if its just impact, duncan shits on kawhi- hes a ****ing center god damn it. based on position those numbers on that link stillsay its duncan

:facepalm
Dismiss it if you want..it's still an on/off stat that quantifies, to some extent, defensive impact.

And wonderful RAPM stat chart there. What I gathered from those numbers is that Aron Baynes is a better defender than Kawhi Leonard.

Wow. Aron Baynes. GOAT gonna GOAT.

Legends66NBA7
08-31-2014, 11:25 PM
Dismiss it if you want..it's still an on/off stat that quantifies, to some extent, defensive impact.

And wonderful RAPM stat chart there. What I gathered from those numbers is that Aron Baynes is a better defender than Kawhi Leonard.

Wow. Aron Baynes. GOAT gonna GOAT.

Check the minutes played.

If I'm understanding on/off correctly, PF's and C's are usually going to have higher fg% against them because they have to defend players who score in the paint more than guards and other wing players who will defend wings who take more jump shots to score. So usually, on/off will favour the wing players than the PF/C's.

Mr.Kite
08-31-2014, 11:32 PM
PG: Lebron
SG: Lebron
SF: Lebron
PF: Lebron
C: Lebron

dubeta
08-31-2014, 11:42 PM
Its LeBron :facepalm

Le Shaqtus
09-01-2014, 12:31 AM
Its LeBron :facepalm

I agree, just ask Kawhi Leonard.

Harison
09-01-2014, 12:39 AM
Healthy Dwight. Maybe not clear-cut the best, but he is better than Marc, Noah or Ibaka, what to speak of perimeter defenders, or grandpas like TD or KG.

Encre92
09-01-2014, 12:44 AM
Lebron James if he tries.

aboss4real24
09-01-2014, 12:46 AM
shumpert by far is the best defender

CelticBalla32
09-01-2014, 03:37 AM
I agree with a lot of what you guys have already said. I think the top 4 are pretty interchangeable, put them in whatever order you want - Tony Allen, Kawhi Leonard, Andre Iguodala, LeBron James.

Nowitness
09-01-2014, 03:44 AM
I agree with a lot of what you guys have already said. I think the top 4 are pretty interchangeable, put them in whatever order you want - Tony Allen, Kawhi Leonard, Andre Iguodala, LeBron James.

yes. because the four players who impact thedefense the most in the league are wing players. :facepalm

http://stats-for-the-nba.appspot.com/teams/MIA.html

thoseare the numbers. now please make lebrons case.

T_L_P
09-01-2014, 03:48 AM
PG: Paul
SG: Allen
SF: Iguodala
PF: Duncan
C: Gasol

HM to Danny Green

CelticBalla32
09-01-2014, 04:03 AM
yes. because the four players who impact thedefense the most in the league are wing players. :facepalm

http://stats-for-the-nba.appspot.com/teams/MIA.html

thoseare the numbers. now please make lebrons case.

They are the most versatile defensive players in the NBA. Obviously guys like Noah and Howard make just as much of an impact, but the guys I listed can lock down at least 3 positions. Leonard, Allen, LeBron and Iguodala can pressure a point guard full court, laterally keep up with any player in the league and physically body up any player on the perimeter. Hell, some 4s.

You act like I said something to discredit every big in the league. :rolleyes: We don't have to agree 100% on the top 4 defensive players in the league, but don't play like I spoke against the importance of a defensive anchor in the back line.

Make a case for LeBron? lol.... use your eyes, John Hollinger. He is clearly and I mean clearly one of the best defensive quarterbacks in the game. If you honestly don't believe that then you're joining those who try to find any reason to say anything negative about LeBron.

JohnFreeman
09-01-2014, 04:07 AM
Noah
Duncan
LeBron
Allen
CP3

pauk
09-01-2014, 04:42 AM
Joakim Noah
Serge Ibaka
LeBron James
Tony Allen
Avery Bradley

There is no such thing, but these dudes above i think possess the best defensive abilities at their positions, when they give it their best on that end they truly are the best...

Encre92
09-01-2014, 08:03 AM
Joakim Noah
Serge Ibaka
LeBron James
Tony Allen
Avery Bradley
Good list. I agree.

poido123
09-01-2014, 08:20 AM
Lebron James if he tries.

The guy who guards the best player in the game better than anyone.

Jimmy Butler.

JohnMax
09-01-2014, 08:39 AM
Danny Green shutdown Wade and gives Curry fits

kurple
09-01-2014, 10:24 AM
iggy is the most overrated defender in this thread

Le Shaqtus
09-01-2014, 11:15 AM
If Ibaka wasn't on OKC he wouldn't be on anyones lists.

La Frescobaldi
09-01-2014, 12:17 PM
ps: prime andrei kirilenko is the greatest nonbig defender ever

bold talk.

he IS up there but...... well, dang. I keep thinking about Pippen, and Bobby Jones. and Havlicek.

huh.

AK47 was awful good, wasn't he? maybe so

dannywpt
09-01-2014, 12:36 PM
bold talk.
AK47 was awful good, wasn't he? maybe so

Prime AK47 was Mr. 5x5 statline. It's not a crazy suggestion.

Eric Cartman
09-01-2014, 12:57 PM
PG: Avery Bradley/Godsoe
SG: Iguodala/Butler
SF: Leonard/George
PF: ?????
C: Marc Gasol/Dwight/Noah

La Frescobaldi
09-01-2014, 12:58 PM
Prime AK47 was Mr. 5x5 statline. It's not a crazy suggestion.

yeah. confound it now I gotta watch some film. that Russian sneaked up on me and stole my world view of hoops