PDA

View Full Version : LeBron field goal percentage appreciation thread

dubeta
08-31-2014, 06:04 PM
Unlike others, LeBron gets better with age

http://i.imgur.com/ciZuJt6.jpg

That shot chart :bowdown:

http://thesportsquotient.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/grant_r_LeBron_ShotChart_1152.jpg

Shoots better from the paint than PRIME SHAQ!! :eek:

More efficiency

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2013/0204/nba_e_jamesaccuracy_gb1_576.jpg

:applause: :applause:

Mr.Kite
08-31-2014, 06:15 PM
http://belikewaterproduction.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/michael_jordan_6_rings_nba_2k12.jpg

dubeta
08-31-2014, 06:17 PM
http://belikewaterproduction.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/michael_jordan_6_rings_nba_2k12.jpg

Someone photoshop Pippen's face on all those rings pls

3ball
08-31-2014, 06:18 PM
In 21 out of the 24 years since 1991, the team leader in shot attempts (#1 option) on the Finals-winning team took more than 25.56% of the team's shots - which means that the load Lebron took on in 2014 Finals (25.56% of his team's shots) was not a large load, and the notion that he couldn't have done more, or that no one else would have done more, is wrong - 21 out of the last 24 did more.

The data shows that it's reasonable to ask Lebron to take more shots - because it WAS feasible - and since it was feasible and his team needed it, he should be blamed for not providing it.

The Heat needed it because they had the worst offense of any Spurs opponent - and even though the media ignores this fact, the Heat's offense hurt them as much as their defense.

Various plays can be easier or tougher for a team based on the level of confidence, optimism, energy, adrenaline, etc that they have at the time of the play - said another way, momentum... The Heat's bad offense and inability to answer the Spurs buckets contributed to the Spurs' momentum and the way the games progressed as much as bad defense... The Heat's defense had a harder job due to their bad offense that couldn't limit the Spurs momentum.

A more consistent effort throughout the games from Lebron would have made the difference in limiting the Spurs momentum - the only games the Heat had a chance to win were Games 1 and 2, where he was either on pace for, or actually got 35 points on 22 shots exactly - all coming when it mattered.

So people don't really know what they are talking about when they say it wouldn't have mattered if Lebron had shot more (like he did in Games 1 and 2)... They don't realize that 6 or 7 more ppg from Lebron doesn't just add to the Heat's offense, it makes their defense better too.. Dallas, OKC and Portland all had better offenses that could limit Spurs momentum to make it easier on their defense, and consequently, they all did better vs the Spurs than the Heat.

But despite it being both feasible (4th smallest load in 24 years) for Lebron to take on a larger load, and necessary (the Heat had the worst offense which hurt them as much as bad defense), Lebron opted to continue his high efficiency, low-shot-attempt style like a fat cat on Wallstreet, hoarding his FG% and low-risk load like profits during an economic meltdown - but this approach failed to disrupt the Spurs defense or attract sufficient defensive attention to free up his teammates.

So I'll ask again - since when does a guy that didn't pass (turnovers equaled his assists) or play defense (blew his assignment on the Finals MVP) or take on a large load (4th smallest in 24 years) - so he basically just GOT HIS in a blowout loss - get to walk away without any blame?.. only when it makes monetary sense to keep up the MJ comparisons.

dubeta
08-31-2014, 06:19 PM
In 21 out of the 24 years since 1991, the team leader in shot attempts (#1 option) on the Finals-winning team took more than 25.56% of the team's shots - which means that the load Lebron took on in 2014 Finals (25.56% of his team's shots) was not a large load, and the notion that he couldn't have done more, or that no one else would have done more, is wrong - 21 out of the last 24 did more.

The data shows that it's reasonable to ask Lebron to take more shots - because it WAS feasible - and since it was feasible and his team needed it, he should be blamed for not providing it.

The Heat needed it because they had the worst offense of any Spurs opponent - and even though the media ignores this fact, the Heat's offense hurt them as much as their defense.

Various plays can be easier or tougher for a team based on the level of confidence, optimism, energy, adrenaline, etc that they have at the time of the play - said another way, momentum... The Heat's bad offense and inability to answer the Spurs buckets contributed to the Spurs' momentum and the way the games progressed as much as bad defense... The Heat's defense had a harder job due to their bad offense that couldn't limit the Spurs momentum.

A more consistent effort throughout the games from Lebron would have made the difference in limiting the Spurs momentum - the only games the Heat had a chance to win were Games 1 and 2, where he was either on pace for, or actually got 35 points on 22 shots exactly - all coming when it mattered.

So people don't really know what they are talking about when they say it wouldn't have mattered if Lebron had shot more (like he did in Games 1 and 2)... They don't realize that 6 or 7 more ppg from Lebron doesn't just add to the Heat's offense, it makes their defense better too.. Dallas, OKC and Portland all had better offenses that could limit Spurs momentum to make it easier on their defense, and consequently, they all did better vs the Spurs than the Heat.

But despite it being both feasible (4th smallest load in 24 years) and necessary (the Heat had the worst offense which hurt them as much as bad defense) for Lebron to take on a larger load, Lebron opted to continue his high efficiency, low-shot-attempt style like a fat cat on Wallstreet, hoarding his FG% and low-risk load like profits during an economic meltdown - but this approach failed to disrupt the Spurs defense or attract sufficient defensive attention to free up his teammates.

So I'll ask again - since when does a guy that didn't pass (turnovers equaled his assists) or play defense (blew his assignment on the Finals MVP) or take on a large load (4th smallest in 24 years) - so he basically just GOT HIS in a blowout loss - get to walk away without any blame?.. only when it makes monetary sense to keep up the MJ comparisons.

Why couldnt superstars Wade and Bosh just take over if LeBron was deferring?

Lebronxrings
08-31-2014, 06:19 PM
GOAT gonna GOAT

Smook A.
08-31-2014, 06:22 PM
Someone photoshop Pippen's face on all those rings pls
http://i.imgur.com/PXX6lKw.jpg

Mr.Kite
08-31-2014, 06:23 PM

:oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:
/thread

DonDadda59
08-31-2014, 06:28 PM
Weak era. And that cherry picking shit worked out lovely against the Spurs in the finals. :oldlol:

SA gave them a Historic ass whooping while Bron played well in 1 quarter per game and 'coasted' the rest of the way. But dat FG% doe :yaohappy:

Warfan
08-31-2014, 06:31 PM
Even though lebron's defense took a bit of a hit last season. I thought it was his best season offensively, mainly in terms of skillset because he has had seasons with better offensive production.....He was scoring well off-the-ball, in the post, of course in transition, and was hitting the 3 ball and outside shot fairly consistently (especially in the playoffs).

Even re-watching this i was pretty impressed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G44rrd14Ss

Brokenbeat
08-31-2014, 06:31 PM

http://media.tumblr.com/def896116c01683cb106c44f12dce4eb/tumblr_inline_mk0ibrre6I1qbialb.jpg

3ball
08-31-2014, 06:41 PM

But despite it being both feasible (4th smallest load in 24 years) for Lebron to take on a larger load, and necessary (the Heat had the worst offense which hurt them as much as bad defense), Lebron opted to continue his high efficiency, low-shot-attempt style like a fat cat on Wallstreet, hoarding his FG% and low-risk load like profits during an economic meltdown - but this approach failed to disrupt the Spurs defense or attract sufficient defensive attention to free up his teammates.

Why couldnt superstars Wade and Bosh just take over if LeBron was deferring?
Another aspect of Lebron protecting his FG% and undertaking the 4th smallest load in 24 years, is that the lack of a bigger threat allowed the Spurs to play him straight up.

Lebron's 28ppg wasn't impactful because the Spurs knew he wasn't a threat for much more and they could plan their entire gameplan around letting him get his 28 and shutting everyone else down - it's the fact that Lebron was not a threat for much more that allowed the Spurs to plan around his 28 points and stay at home on his teammates.. as it turns out, protecting your FG% is exploitable.

So Wade and Bosh were much more covered playing with Lebron than they would be playing next to MJ, who would have averaged a minimum of 25 shot attempts per game in that series - he would have been aggressive for the entire series like Lebron was in Games 1 and 2... and just like we saw with Kerr and Paxson, guys like Chalmers and Cole would have been WIIIIIDE OPEN... time and time again.

jstern
08-31-2014, 06:59 PM
I find Jordan's performance to be the most impressive. To shoot the ball 29 times and make 24 of them.

I'm not familiar with the Bird game, which seems to be just as good as Lebron's, but 2nd would have to be the Lebron game, not because of the percentage, but because if I remember well, it was because of certain, high level, complete flow of the game mindset.

Basically playing within the flow as perfectly as possible. And the mental aspect of that is extremely impressive.

Hey Yo
08-31-2014, 07:06 PM
Weak era. And that cherry picking shit worked out lovely against the Spurs in the finals. :oldlol:

SA gave them a Historic ass whooping while Bron played well in 1 quarter per game and 'coasted' the rest of the way. But dat FG% doe :yaohappy:
How does one coast for 15 quarters and still lead the team in mins, points, rebounds, assists and steals?

If he was coasting, then what's that say about his teammates performance?

Marchesk
08-31-2014, 10:39 PM
Charles Barkley had a higher FG% than Jordan :confusedshrug:

JT123
08-31-2014, 10:44 PM
Field goal percentage is the most important thing in basketball. Scoring a bunch of points on low percentages does not lead to wins, unless you are like Kobe and have an elite front court every year of your career.
Put Kobe on the Heat from 2010-2014 and he would never make it out of the first round. Who would rebound his bricks? Bosh? :oldlol:

Asukal
08-31-2014, 11:04 PM
Dem his FG keeps on rising just like his hairline. :bowdown:

Lebronxrings
08-31-2014, 11:07 PM
Field goal percentage is the most important thing in basketball. Scoring a bunch of points on low percentages does not lead to wins, unless you are like Kobe and have an elite front court every year of your career.
Put Kobe on the Heat from 2010-2014 and he would never make it out of the first round. Who would rebound his bricks? Bosh? :oldlol:
:oldlol:

Lebronxrings
08-31-2014, 11:08 PM
well barkley with the GOAT coach, top 3 SF, and HOF teammates definitely has a case.

Marchesk
08-31-2014, 11:36 PM
well barkley with the GOAT coach, top 3 SF, and HOF teammates definitely has a case.

He had M. Malone and Dr. J his first two seasons, then was on a loaded Phoenix team, and finished up with Olajuwon and Clyde.

So I think Barkley had his chances.

dreamwarrior
08-31-2014, 11:52 PM
He took 418 out of his 1047 2pa from inside 3ft and made 43% of his 2pa from beyond 3ft, where 35 year old Kobe shot 44% in '13 while taking 241 more shots within that distance.

JT123
09-01-2014, 12:03 AM
He took 418 out of his 1047 2pa from inside 3ft and made 43% of his 2pa from beyond 3ft, where 35 year old Kobe shot 44% in '13 while taking 241 more shots within that distance.
What does it matter where they took their shots from? :facepalm
All I know is that Lebron shot 57% while Kobe shot 46%. Lebron was also a more accurate 3 point shooter. :banana:

305Baller
09-01-2014, 02:22 AM
Pretty good, LeBron... but Jordan's 24-29 trumps all of em.

Droid101
09-01-2014, 02:33 AM
Apparently Tyson Chandler is better than LeBron James for most seasons.

ok

dubeta
09-01-2014, 03:21 AM
Apparently Tyson Chandler is better than LeBron James for most seasons.

ok

If Tyson Chandler averaged more points than LeBron (Like how LeBron averages more points than Kobe) then you would be correct :cheers:

Encre92
09-01-2014, 03:23 AM
Goat.

Magic 32
09-01-2014, 04:01 AM
More efficiency

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2013/0204/nba_e_jamesaccuracy_gb1_576.jpg

:applause: :applause:

http://www.tradingcarddb.com/Images/Cards/Basketball/2289/2289-681236Fr.jpg

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199702120PHO.html

JohnFreeman
09-01-2014, 04:06 AM
:applause:

aj1987
09-01-2014, 04:14 AM

LeBron scoring 50 PPG on 45% wouldn't help them win shit. It was Miami's defense that went AWOL and cost them a ring. You would know that if you actually WATCHED a game, instead of watching the box-score.

buddha
09-01-2014, 04:27 AM
cherry picking and playing on stacked teams. we all saw how well that efficiency helped in 2011 and 2013.

2/5

dubeta
09-01-2014, 04:29 AM
cherry picking and playing on stacked teams. we all saw how well that efficiency helped in 2011 and 2013.

2/5

Please prove the cherry picking

stalkerforlife
09-01-2014, 04:30 AM
Tyson Chandler is 2nd all time in FG%.

Bo Outlaw is #9.

dubeta
09-01-2014, 04:33 AM
Tyson Chandler is 2nd all time in FG%.

Bo Outlaw is #9.

Do either of them have the 3rd highest PPG average in NBA history?

LeBron 27.5 ppg average only behind MJ and Wilt

stalkerforlife
09-01-2014, 04:35 AM
Do either of them have the 3rd highest PPG average in NBA history?

LeBron 27.5 ppg average only behind MJ and Wilt

27.5 is very skewed due to many circumstances, especially the rule changes and his weak competition every single year in the east.

It will drop dramatically if he doesn't cowardly retire to protect his stats.

Warfan
09-01-2014, 04:36 AM
Please prove the cherry picking

Bron is certainly conscious of his efficiency....

“It’s like a competition me and D-Wade are having right now about who can shoot 50 percent, in each and every game,” James said, when asked a couple of days later. “I had no idea, because I don’t know what’s going on throughout the game as far as stats. I came in after the game, I saw 9-for-19 [against the Bobcats in late December] and I missed that last long three, I felt I could have gotten into the lane and got a layup. I’ve got to make up for it.” [...]

“Early in my career, I didn’t take every shot as seriously as I do now, to be more efficient,” James said. “It comes with age, it comes with experience. You know, when you’re an 18 year old rookie, or a 21-year-old, third year in the league, you can get away with a lot of mistakes, and not looking at numbers as much. But as I’ve gotten older, I’ve been more efficient, taking care of the ball. I value possessions more.”

He also values competition, and he’s been in one with Wade. Wade is also shooting the highest percentage of his career, at 50.6, a fact that Erik Spoelstra noted Thursday while asserting that if Wade was shooting as much as he once did, he could still average 28 points.

“We’re both so conscious of wanting to shoot 50 percent, that sometimes you wish you had that Kobe (Bryant) thought, where you just don’t care,” Wade said. “We talk about it all the time. It sucks at times, but it’s who we are.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/lebron-james-dwyane-wade-compete-efficiency-stats-sly-145018924--nba.html

stalkerforlife
09-01-2014, 04:40 AM
Bron is certainly conscious of his efficiency....

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/lebron-james-dwyane-wade-compete-efficiency-stats-sly-145018924--nba.html

:facepalm

dubeta
09-01-2014, 04:44 AM
27.5 is very skewed due to many circumstances, especially the rule changes and his weak competition every single year in the east.

It will drop dramatically if he doesn't cowardly retire to protect his stats.

Weak response :facepalm

Firstly the rule change was meant specifically to benefit Kobe after losing to Detroit in 2004. Didn't Kobe also benefit with his statpadding scoring seasons?

And Eastern teams have much better defences than the West. Playing in the East should REDUCE LeBron's ppg due to tougher defences.

Look at how much worse Kobe plays againt the East due to their better defences

Just smh :facepalm

stalkerforlife
09-01-2014, 04:47 AM
Weak response :facepalm

Firstly the rule change was meant specifically to benefit Kobe after losing to Detroit in 2004. Didn't Kobe also benefit with his statpadding scoring seasons?

And Eastern teams have much better defences than the West. Playing in the East should REDUCE LeBron's ppg due to tougher defences.

Look at how much worse Kobe plays againt the East due to their better defences

Just smh :facepalm

The defense looks better because they play one another so often. :facepalm

And even so, 7 of the top 10 defenses last year were from the west. :facepalm

dubeta
09-01-2014, 04:51 AM

Bran's a better scorer, rebounder, passer, and defender than Bean just deal with it brah

stalkerforlife
09-01-2014, 04:53 AM
Bran's a better scorer, rebounder, passer, and defender than Bean just deal with it brah

:roll:

Melt down. :lol

NZStreetBaller
09-01-2014, 04:54 AM
lebrons fast break skills and bowling through everyone to get to the rim are his keys to this efficiency.... How many wade to lebron alley oops happened in the last 4 years. durants FG% to style of play is more impressive to me.

dubeta
09-01-2014, 04:55 AM

Melt down. :lol

you're right bruh as a kobe fan it pains me to say this but i'm objective :lol

stalkerforlife
09-01-2014, 04:56 AM
you're right bruh as a kobe fan it pains me to say this but i'm objective :lol

You're alright for a Bran stan. :roll:

Round Mound
09-01-2014, 05:00 AM

If you take out 3 pointers made and missed he shot 58.13% for his whole season career (21.6 PPG) and 55.13% for his whole play-off career (22.5 PPG)

*This includes a broken down, overweight and constantly injured 3rd option Houston Barkley, which ofcourse wasn`t the REAL Barkley of the Sixers and Suns that i saw play

Here is a Game of 14 fgs made/ 15 fgs attempted by Barkley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf6952RdroA

305Baller
09-01-2014, 05:16 AM

2/5

:lol

aj1987
09-01-2014, 05:22 AM

Why do you idiots make shit up? You do realize that it takes 2 minutes to look up stuff like that, right?

#1 - Indiana
#2 - Chicago
#5 - Charlotte
#8 - Washington
#10 - Toronto

3 of the top 5 defenses in the East.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2014.html

dubeta
09-01-2014, 05:24 AM
Why do you idiots make shit up? You do realize that it takes 2 minutes to look up stuff like that, right?

#1 - Indiana
#2 - Chicago
#5 - Charlotte
#8 - Washington
#10 - Toronto

Facts

A kobe stans worst nightmare :roll:

stalkerforlife
09-01-2014, 05:25 AM

#1 - Indiana
#2 - Chicago
#5 - Charlotte
#8 - Washington
#10 - Toronto

http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/teamstats/_/sort/defensiveEff

stalkerforlife
09-01-2014, 05:29 AM
Destroyed.

aj1987
09-01-2014, 05:33 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/teamstats/_/sort/defensiveEff
You just proved my point, idiot.

stalkerforlife
09-01-2014, 05:37 AM
You just proved my point, idiot.

It truly is amazing that 5 of the top defenses are in the west, considering the east can make themselves look better by playing against each other a majority of the time.

12 of the 15 teams in the west had a winning record against the east last season. 12 out of 15. :roll:

The east only looks good on paper defensively because they play against each other and they suck.

aj1987
09-01-2014, 06:40 AM
It truly is amazing that 5 of the top defenses are in the west, considering the east can make themselves look better by playing against each other a majority of the time.

12 of the 15 teams in the west had a winning record against the east last season. 12 out of 15. :roll:

The east only looks good on paper defensively because they play against each other and they suck.
Since when do Kobeturds like you use Hollinger's stats? Anyways, that still doesn't change the fact that you're an idiot who posts complete bullshit, which can be looked up with a simple Google search.

FPJ
09-01-2014, 08:15 AM
Speaking about Lebron, field and appreciation, was he invited to Wade's wedding? I've heard some people say he didnt go.

:confusedshrug:

J Shuttlesworth
09-01-2014, 11:22 AM
stalkerforlife getting destroyed ITT

East has consistently had the top defense teams while LeBron has been in the league. That doesn't mean it's harder to win games in the east, it's just harder to score. 2014 was the first year in a long time where the East/West split the top 10 defensive teams. LeBron's PPG is higher against the West for a reason

If anything, it's a bigger embarrassment that Kobe, who plays in a historically defensively weak Western Conference, has a lower PPG and FG% than LeBron despite being the biggest chucker in history.

Here's a post I made about the defenses LeBron has faced:

2010-2011:
Philly 76ers: DRTG: 105 7th in the league
Boston Celtics: DRTG: 100.3 Best in the league
Chicago Bulls: DRTG: 100.3 Best in the league
Dallas Mavericks: DRTG: 105 8th in the league

2011-2012:

New York Knicks: DRTG: 100.5: 5th in the league
Indiana Pacers: DRTG: 103.1: 9th in the league
Boston Celtics: DRTG: 98.2 Best in the league
Oklahoma City Thunder (WEST IS THE BEST): DRTG: 103.2 10th in the league

2012-2013:
Milwaukee Bucks: DRTG: 105.2 12th in the league
Chicago Bulls: DRTG: 103.2 6th in the league
Indiana Pacers: DRTG: 99.8 Best in the league
San Antonio Spurs: DRTG: 101.2 3rd best in the league

Just for a little comparison, here is the path the Spurs had last year in the Western Conference (da best)
Los Angeles Lakers: DRTG: 106.6 17th in the league UNDER LEAGUE AVERAGE
Golden State Warriors: DRTG: 105.5 14th in the league
Memphis Grizzlies: DRTG: 100.3 Second in the league

2014 could be the only year where the Heat didn't have to face tough teams, but they're still facing tough defenses:

Bobcats: 103.8 -5th
Indiana: 99.3 - 1st
Chicago: 100.5 - 2nd
Wizards: 104.6 - 7th

Say the Thunder make the finals. Their road would likely be:
Memphis: 104.6 - 8th (perhaps deflated by Gasol's injury)
(if) LAC: 104.8 - 9th
(if) GSW: 102.6 - 4th (although they don't have Bogut, who is their biggest defensive presence)
(if) POR: 107.4 - 17th UNDER LEAGUE AVERAGE
(if) HOU: 106.3 - 13th
(if) DAL: 108.7 - 22nd UNDER LEAGUE AVERAGE
(if) SAS: 102.4 - 3rd

Interesting stuff. I have no doubt that the West is more stacked than the East, but the East still keeps up defensively. Also interesting that the Heat ALWAYS have to face the best defenses in the league, and even took the 2 best down in 2011