PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody benefitted from Craigslist?

Duderonomy
09-01-2014, 09:04 AM
The trailer park of the Internet. Never brought anything from there although I spent enough time looking. Most of the cars are a rip off, their job section is a joke too.

DukeDelonte13
09-01-2014, 09:58 AM
The trailer park of the Internet. Never brought anything from there although I spent enough time looking. Most of the cars are a rip off, their job section is a joke too.

I just bought a computer of Craigslist.

Bought the very computer i'm typing this off of, I saved maybe close to 200 bucks on it. I had the guy take pics of all the serial numbers and i ran them on some website to verify when they were manufactured and it corroborated what he was saying.

The guy told me he received tons of emails about the computer but he chose to sell it to me because i sounded the most sincere and didn't try to low ball him or pull shady shit It was a great deal and I scooped it up. When Dealing with the guy i Insisted that I try out the computer and he was weary, then I suggested he come to my office or we go to a friend of mine's office near his house. When I said that he was just like **** it come to my house. I street viewed it and it looked like a nice neighborhood. No issues. Got a great computer at a bargain price. This guy even helped me over the phone get the thing fully working on my office's antiquated network.

I also sold my motorcycle on craigslist literally the day I listed it. I had about 4/5 people come to my house. No issues.

DwnShft2Xcelr8
09-01-2014, 10:11 AM
I sold an item on Craigslist. Only got low ball offers for it, and the first person to offer me money within $10 of my asking price got it.

nathanjizzle
09-01-2014, 10:36 AM
Craigslist is a decent place. They use to have an "adult service" section which was pretty neat. But "johns" started getting robbed and hookers started getting murdered so craigslist removed it from their website.

the mesiah
09-01-2014, 10:36 AM
I bought some brand new still sealed in the box Bose headphones ,.the broad got them as a gift from her husband but she didn't want them.paid $100 for them too ..

thefatmiral
09-01-2014, 10:59 AM
laptop I got four years ago is still works great.
same for my tv. sold my broken car there. even got roommates on it.

DeuceWallaces
09-01-2014, 11:17 AM
Yes, plenty of times. My house is filled with shit from Craigslist.

If you're looking for jobs on Craigslist you probably live in the real trailer park so no need to worry about CL.

Akrazotile
09-01-2014, 11:19 AM
Bought a couple virginities off CL, got a decent price on em. Cant complain :confusedshrug:

CelticBaller
09-01-2014, 11:19 AM
Got my car from there

NBAplayoffs2001
09-01-2014, 11:33 AM
Some student at my school anonymously posted that he got laid through Craigslist. I'm pretty sure he was lying...

chosen_one6
09-01-2014, 12:33 PM
I used to make $300 a weekend selling burned Xbox 360 games.

fsvr54
09-01-2014, 02:36 PM
Bought a couple saxophones, resold one of them, bought a bike, my friend actually got a good job from there but promptly was fired when they drug tested. I have another friend who has bought and sold at least 3 dozen cars off of craigslist.

TheMan
09-01-2014, 03:21 PM
CraigsList is actually decent if you want to get pre-owned cheap stuff. I've bought some things from there and they've all worked perfectly fine.

hateraid
09-01-2014, 03:47 PM
Kijijii is the place to go. I sell my stuff way faster.

SunsN07BookIt
09-01-2014, 04:11 PM
Most of the vehicles are ripoffs unless you snag the few good ones instantly before the dealers who scour CL constantly get them. But there are some good deals to be had. I just bought an industrial battery charger for $100 that cost $500 new, not a scratch on it and still had the plastic on the cable. I needed one bad too and the local guy wanted $300 for a beater. I also bought a 28' trailer with a working hydraulic lift gate in excellent condition for $1500 not too long ago. I then traded the trailer for an older Toyota flatbed 4x4 pickup in mint condition of which I've had offers up to $5500 for.

Those are just a few of the deals I got but I don't even bother looking for mainstream, common items on CL if I'm looking for a steal. They go too quick.

Duderonomy
09-01-2014, 06:42 PM
Yes, plenty of times. My house is filled with shit from Craigslist.

If you're looking for jobs on Craigslist you probably live in the real trailer park so no need to worry about CL.
When I was an undergrade I would keep an eye out on CL but the only job I got was a s**** warehouse. Needless to say I quit after 2 weeks. It goes without saying if you have a bills or a family CL is only a shot in the dark. CL is like the flea market, are there good deals to be found? Yes but 95% of it is overpriced junk by shysters. I knew this one girl who seemed to think she could build her whole life around CL Jobs, personal, etc. I'm sure that she's still weird and got no where from it.

Myth
09-01-2014, 06:55 PM
I've bought many great things from Craigslist. Video game systems, NBA tickets, bicycle, TVs, etc.

RoseCity07
09-01-2014, 07:01 PM
I sold my Ps3 for 450.00 in 2007. I realized it was just a glorified blu-ray player and Halo 3 was just about to come out for Xbox 360. Best deal I ever made. My friend got me a store discount so I bought a Xbox 360 with the money and put the rest down on a copy of Halo 3.

I played Halo 3 for hundreds of hours with my friends. Ps3 was so useless to me and I got a cheap blu-ray player a couple years later.

InfiniteBaskets
09-01-2014, 07:13 PM
I've never bought anything from CL, but did sell my AC unit a while back. When I first moved to NYC we lived in a walk-up and I needed to buy an AC unit, spent like $200 for it at Sears. Then moved into a high rise building and needed to sell it off quick so sold it for $50. The people who bought it got an amazing deal, I probably could've sold for $100+ but waited too long before listing it and didn't have the time to wait around for potential buyers.

SpecialQue
09-01-2014, 07:32 PM
Bought some movies from a couple people there (box sets dirt cheap). One seller was sketchy as fvck. I had to wait for his car to pull up at a car dealership, then when he got there I handed him the cash through his window and he gave me the movies, like a fvcking drug deal or some bullshit. Another time I drove to some guy's house and he met me outside, which was much more of what I was expecting than that first person.

I'm extremely hesitant to buy game systems or anything through that because a coworker accidentally spilled a soda into his X-Box and it only worked sporadically, so he sold it on Craigslist. It would work every now and then but was clearly on its last legs. I don't know how much he sold it for, but that guy got ripped off.

NBAplayoffs2001
09-01-2014, 08:16 PM
Bought some movies from a couple people there (box sets dirt cheap). One seller was sketchy as fvck. I had to wait for his car to pull up at a car dealership, then when he got there I handed him the cash through his window and he gave me the movies, like a fvcking drug deal or some bullshit. Another time I drove to some guy's house and he met me outside, which was much more of what I was expecting than that first person.

I'm extremely hesitant to buy game systems or anything through that because a coworker accidentally spilled a soda into his X-Box and it only worked sporadically, so he sold it on Craigslist. It would work every now and then but was clearly on its last legs. I don't know how much he sold it for, but that guy got ripped off.

With sketchy people all over Craiglists probably wasn't a smart decision by your friend...

Meticode
09-01-2014, 08:31 PM
Cragslist was beneficial to me to the point I wanted to give stuff away. I had an old desk I didn't want anymore. Didn't have the time to take it somewhere or trash it. I posted on Facebook that it was free, someone came and picked it up within 12 hours. Left it on the sidewalk.

NBAplayoffs2001
09-01-2014, 08:33 PM
Cragslist was beneficial to me to the point I wanted to give stuff away. I had an old desk I didn't want anymore. Didn't have the time to take it somewhere or trash it. I posted on Facebook that it was free, someone came and picked it up within 12 hours. Left it on the sidewalk.

Yeah my university has a page that kind of works like craigslist. Occasionally people sell cars and desks/furniture for really good prices and whoever contacts them first pretty much gets an insane deal. Someone got like a 2006 blue bmw 3 series that was in great condition for only like 2500. :bowdown:

SunsN07BookIt
09-01-2014, 08:59 PM

People get extremely nervous when buying stuff off CL. I once was selling some pistol ammo off CL(against their policy but no one reported me) to a cop who picked it up in uniform and his patrol car. This was back when Obama had been just elected and ammo prices went through the roof giving me a huge profit because I had bought a bunch in anticipation. Anyways we are in this parking lot that I was supposed to meet this cop and another buyer. Cop shows up first, and he's putting the case of ammo in his trunk when this Japanese guy comes screaming into the parking lot driving a new Range Rover, the cop gets startled and draws his weapon on the Range Rover, and for a second there I thought he was going to take a hand off his gun and push me back or grab my throat. He then yells, "Is he with you?". I tell him I'm not sure, could be the other buyer I'm waiting for. Long story short, it was the other buyer and the cop drove away very startled. He did buy more ammo off me again, but he did it through UPS after that.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
09-01-2014, 09:07 PM
Bought and sold a few things, including a car (an older Corolla that needed tons of fixing). My little cousin used to make a killing on selling video games. Dude said he met his share of creeps too. Ha!

Any CL horror stories here? :oldlol:

Meticode
09-01-2014, 09:10 PM
Yeah my university has a page that kind of works like craigslist. Occasionally people sell cars and desks/furniture for really good prices and whoever contacts them first pretty much gets an insane deal. Someone got like a 2006 blue bmw 3 series that was in great condition for only like 2500. :bowdown:
That's pretty cool. It's more about the convenience of just getting rid of what you have ASAP and not mentally having to deal with it anymore.

Myth
09-01-2014, 09:41 PM

I've used Craigslist many times and never once had somebody make the exchange from inside his car.

I've bought a couple older systems before and those people simply had me come into their homes and they quickly showed me that the systems worked. Always test the goods before buying, unless it is so dirt cheap that it is worth the risk of being screwed.

I also have not exchanged anything more than $100. I don't go into situations where if I am robbed it actually hurt too much financially.

NugzFan
09-01-2014, 10:28 PM
love selling shit i dont want/need on craigslist.

most of the stuff i just want gone, yet people pay me to take it.

Duderonomy
09-01-2014, 10:59 PM
I had a friend find roommates twice on CL. One was a crazy blonde who was the biggest slob and hoe. Another some boring accounting student. Either way if you need to find random strangers to be roommates. You f****d up. :oldlol:

PHX_Phan
09-02-2014, 12:51 AM
I've benefited many times from craigslist. Bought a ton of shit including my last two cars through it, sold a bunch. Hustled the shit out of the barter section and traded up to a truck.

I've posted ads and picked up side work (electrical) and have easily made over $10,000 doing small jobs.

JohnFreeman
09-02-2014, 12:56 AM
Bought an Xbox on craigslist. Well, I thought I bought an Xbox. Turns out it wasn't an Xbox, just a box of rocks.
Shame they didn't throw a joke book in with it

SpecialQue
09-02-2014, 01:05 AM
With sketchy people all over Craiglists probably wasn't a smart decision by your friend...

To be honest, he could use a good smackin' around.

Bandito
09-02-2014, 01:09 AM
Shame they didn't throw a joke book in with it
:lol