PDA

View Full Version : Compilation of Kobe Bryant stories!

20Four
09-01-2014, 07:37 PM
Compilation of Kobe stories link (http://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/2dzolu/compilation_of_kobe_bryant_stories/)

[QUOTE]Here a list of some Kobe stories I found throughout the internet. Feel free to share any I did not include.

Kobe Bryant and the 40-mile bike ride

Interesting tidbit from an article on the Clippers

20Four
09-01-2014, 07:38 PM
Part 2:

Robert (The USA Trainer)

The night before the first scrimmage I remember I was just watched “Casablanca” for the first time and it was about 3:30 AM. I lay in bed, slowly fading away when I hear my cell ring. It was Kobe. I nervously picked up.

“Hey, uhh Rob, I hope I’m not disturbing anything right?”

“Uhh no, what’s up Kob?”

“Just wondering if you could just help me out with some conditioning work, that’s all.”

I checked my clock. 4:15 AM.

“Yeah sure, I’ll see you in the facility in a bit.”

It took me about twenty minutes to get my gear and out of the hotel. When I arrived and opened the room to the main practice floor I saw Kobe. Alone. He was drenched in sweat as if he had just taken a swim. It wasn’t even 5AM.

We did some conditioning work for the next hour and fifteen minutes. Then we entered the weight room, where he would do a multitude of strength training exercises for the next 45 minutes. After that we parted ways and he went back to the practice floor to shoot. I went back to the hotel and crashed. Wow.

I was expected to be at the floor again at about 11 AM. I woke up feeling sleepy, drowsy, and almost pretty much every side effect of sleep deprivation. Thanks, Kobe. I had a bagel and headed to the practice facility.

This next part I remember very vividly. All the Team USA players were there, feeling good for the first scrimmage. LeBron was talking to Carmelo if I remember correctly and Coach Krzyzewski was trying to explain something to Kevin Durant. On the right side of the practice facility was Kobe by himself shooting jumpers. And this is how our next conversation went — I went over to him, patted him on the back and said, “Good work this morning.”

“Huh?”

“Like, the conditioning. Good work.”

“Oh. Yeah, thanks Rob. I really appreciate it.”

“So when did you finish?”

“Finish what?”

“Getting your shots up. What time did you leave the facility?”

“Oh just now. I wanted 800 makes so yeah, just now.”

My jaw dropped. Mother of holy God. It was then that I realized that there’s no surprise to why he’s been as effective as he was last season. Every story about his dedication, every quote that he’s said about hard work all came together and hit me like a train. It’s no surprise to me now that he’s dunking on players ten years younger than him and it wasn’t a surprise to me earlier this year when he led the league in scoring.

Excerpt from Shaq Uncut (/u/teenageboy69)

"Kobe stands up and goes face-to-face with me and says, "You always said you're my big brother, you'd do anything for me, and then this Colorado thing happens and you never even called me." I did call him. ... So here we are now, and we find out he really was hurt that we didn't stand behind him. That was something new. I didn't think he gave a rat's ass about us either way. "Well, I thought you'd publicly support me, at least," Kobe said. "You're supposed to be my friend." Brian Shaw chimed in with "Kobe, why would you think that? Shaq had all these parties and you never showed up for any of them. We invited you to dinner on the road and you didn't come. Shaq invited you to his wedding and you weren't there. Then you got married and didn't invite any of us. And now you are in the middle of this problem, this sensitive situation, and now you want all of us to step up for you. We don't even know you." ...

Kobe Goes to the Movies (from Lee Jenkins/SI) (/u/ij_reilly)

Years ago, upon returning from the horror flick Saw II, Bryant described for Lakers trainer Gary Vitti a scene in which a victim awakens to find a contraption locked around his neck lined with nails pointed at his head. A videotape explains that the victim can unlock the device with a key, but it has been surgically implanted behind his right eye, and he can only extract it with a scalpel. He has a minute before it closes over his face and kills him. "I think I could get that key," Bryant said.

SHAQ (/u/johnazoidberg-)

He was so young and so immature in some ways, but I can tell you this: everything Kobe is doing now, he told me all the way back then he was going to do it. We were sitting on the bus once and he told me, "I'm going to be the number one scorer for the Lakers, I'm going to win five or six championships, and I'm going to be the best player in the game." I was like, "Okay, whatever." Then he looked me right in the eye and said, "I'm going to be the Will Smith of the NBA."

Dawgs

Kobe is a scientific dawg. He works out every day, practices every day. Most of the other stars are just dawgs, not scientific dawgs.

Me, I’m a freak-of-nature dawg because of my size. LeBron could be a scientific dawg like Kobe, but he’s not, he's got a lot going on like I did, so that’s preventing him from being one.

The Pandas Friend

What are your thoughts on Kobe?

I thought you'd never ask. We'll be on the plane, playing cards. Kobe will walk up, stop the game and say, "Ron, come to the back of the plane." Then, he'll show me some tape and say, "Look at this. Here's what you need to do." I'll go back to my seat, and then he'll walk up to Shannon Brown, stop the card game and do the same thing. And it doesn't matter if you're sleeping. He'll wake you up and show you things you've never thought about. He puts so much time and passion into the game. I have no problem following somebody who's worth being followed, who works as hard as me. I will follow Kobe anywhere.

dubeta
09-01-2014, 07:38 PM
tl;dr

outbreak
09-01-2014, 07:39 PM
tldr rapist sex offender homophobe etc

Trollsmasher
09-01-2014, 07:52 PM
I am currently reading Twilight so I do not need another teen romance

HOoopCityJones
09-01-2014, 07:57 PM

Knew you were a ****** :roll:

outbreak
09-01-2014, 08:06 PM
:applause:

pauk
09-02-2014, 12:19 AM
Kobe's work ethic is mentioned in various context in most of those stories if you havent noticed, i truly appreciate that feat in players & just any such workaholics in everyday life, its just inevitable you will be successful at anything you aim for, sooner or later.... especially if you love what you do... and get payed alot for it.... ALOT... :P

CelticBalla32
09-02-2014, 02:13 AM
Good stuff, I could read stories like this all day.

Kobe is a menace.

Droid101
09-02-2014, 02:17 AM
If it's too long that you didn't read, or you'd rather read Twilight, then we know you're a ******.

Eric Cartman
09-02-2014, 04:43 AM
Kobe's work ethic should be an inspiration for us all.

No matter what is it that you do.

SwayDizzle
09-02-2014, 04:58 AM

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

retaxis
09-02-2014, 05:04 AM

why?

We are not all psychopaths who put 'image' aka wanting to do great at his job so he gets more respect above family, friends and relationships.

Bones_Jones
09-02-2014, 09:04 AM
Kobe fluffers working overtime trying to keep Kobe relevant these days.

Encre92
09-02-2014, 09:07 AM
Kobe jerk fest as usual. Slow day on ISH.

ImKobe
09-02-2014, 09:25 AM
This man is amazing. He inspired me to work out harder myself some years ago now after I read some of the stuff he did. Now I work out at early mornings and late nights, push myself to work a couple hours more to get the most out of myself.

People need to realize that Kobe, as an athlete, was nowhere near MJ or Lebron. The only way he got to top 10 all-time status was by working on his moves day and night, being the first guy in practice and the last guy to leave. While you're sleeping in your bed or commenting mean things about Kobe on ISH, he's out there somewhere, working his ass off.

pauk
09-02-2014, 10:00 AM
This man is amazing. He inspired me to work out harder myself some years ago now after I read some of the stuff he did. Now I work out at early mornings and late nights, push myself to work a couple hours more to get the most out of myself.

People need to realize that Kobe, as an athlete, was nowhere near MJ or Lebron. The only way he got to top 10 all-time status was by working on his moves day and night, being the first guy in practice and the last guy to leave. While you're sleeping in your bed or commenting mean things about Kobe on ISH, he's out there somewhere, working his ass off.

Not to take anything away from everything else you said, but oh yes he was.... he sure damn was, Kobe is arguably the 2nd most athletic SG i ever seen.... im not sure if you have seen enough of 96-03 Kobe, he was running & leaping around like a gazelle.... sure MJ athletic peak was higher but Kobe sure was close i would say...

SwayDizzle
09-02-2014, 10:05 AM
Not to take anything away from everything else you said, but oh yes he was.... he sure damn was, Kobe is arguably the 2nd most athletic SG i ever seen.... im not sure if you have seen enough of 96-03 Kobe, he was running & leaping around like a gazelle.... sure MJ athletic peak was higher but Kobe sure was close i would say...
very true :applause: :applause:

choppermagic
09-02-2014, 10:55 AM
Not much more any fan can ask of a player on their favorite team. Total dedication to the game and working his ass off to get better.

uber
09-02-2014, 11:17 AM
great stories .. :applause:

HurricaneKid
09-02-2014, 01:30 PM

96? No. Not even 97. Or 98. 99-2003 maybe.

20Four
09-02-2014, 01:38 PM
Here is more:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2172186-kobe-bryant-reveals-competitive-fire-unique-kindness-in-untold-stories

[QUOTE]LOS ANGELES

ImKobe
09-02-2014, 01:39 PM

Kobe wasn't nearly as close. Kobe compared to your average NBA athlete is super athletic, but MJ and Lebron are on another level. I've seen enough of 96-03 Kobe to make that statement.

Let's just put it this way - Kobe's way more athletic than your average NBA player, but he's not on the same tier as Lebron, MJ, Wilt.

20Four
09-02-2014, 01:40 PM
Link:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2172186-kobe-bryant-reveals-competitive-fire-unique-kindness-in-untold-stories

[QUOTE]It's April 2001, and Bryant is granting a child's wish through the Make-A-Wish Foundation. This is hardly the first time. There will be perhaps 200 sick kids he meets overall, but this is Darius' night. Darius is 11, loves basketball, wears huge glasses and is very small for his age.

He asks Bryant all his prepared questions in a small, private room at Staples Center

20Four
09-02-2014, 01:42 PM
Link:

[QUOTE]Chris Douglas-Roberts of the Charlotte Bobcats has lost a 2014 first-round playoff game to the Miami Heat. Douglas-Roberts has played a lot and played well in the losing effort. It's one of the high points in his individual career.

The guy spent pretty much all of '13 without a job, but he latched on in Charlotte after a series of injuries to others. He seized the opportunity and helped the Bobcats finish the regular season 20-9, becoming one of the team's go-to guys at crunch time.

Less than two years before, Douglas-Roberts was briefly a Laker, trying and failing to make the team at training camp in '12. More than gaining a roster spot, the experience meant mostly bonding with Bryant, Dwight Howard, Steve Nash and Pau Gasol.

But Douglas-Roberts made an impression on Lakers assistant coach Steve Clifford, who went on to be the head coach in Charlotte. He also caught the attention of his temporary teammate Bryant, who appreciated Douglas-Roberts' tenacity and determination to improve

oarabbus
09-02-2014, 01:42 PM
Kobe wasn't nearly as close. Kobe compared to your average NBA athlete is super athletic, but MJ and Lebron are on another level. I've seen enough of 96-03 Kobe to make that statement.

Let's just put it this way - Kobe's way more athletic than your average NBA player, but he's not on the same tier as Lebron, MJ, Wilt.

I mean there are plenty of players who's athleticism is on par with LeBron's, maybe not at his size, but in the same tier of athleticism. Nate Robinson, Gerald Green, Eric Bledsoe, Blake Griffin, etc.

20Four
09-02-2014, 01:44 PM
Link:

[QUOTE]Although Bryant basically hasn't seen a need to read books anymore after high school, he has surprised a group of fifth-graders by showing up at a 2003 community event that rewarded the kids for reading Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets with a private screening of the movie by the same name.

No one asks if he's read it and deserves to stay and watch with them.

As he has always loved the special challenges of superhero stories, Bryant loves the Harry Potter movies

ImKobe
09-02-2014, 01:54 PM
Link:

Loved the part about Thanksgiving. And they say Kobe's not a good teammate.

stalkerforlife
09-02-2014, 05:55 PM
Kobe's work ethic dwarfs that of 99% of the NBA.

His work ethic, at his size, which isn't a dominant size, is what made him a top 5 player of all time.