PDA

View Full Version : ITT: Post Your Trippy Thoughts

DwnShft2Xcelr8
09-02-2014, 01:49 AM
You all likely know what constellations are, right?
Imagine one of the stars in a specific constellation--- say, Orion--- is basically the sun to another civilization's home planet. What if that civilization can see our Sun and see it as just another star that's a part of some constellation?
What if they use(d) our Sun for navigation at night just as we've used the North Star for centuries?
Wouldn't it be trippy to know we've been looking at another species' "Sun" without ever knowing that other species was there?

In b4 "what if OP is a fakkit" trolls.

JohnFreeman
09-02-2014, 01:51 AM
The sun is a star doe?

JohnFreeman
09-02-2014, 01:55 AM
Here is a link that shows what planets would look like from Earth, if they replaced where the Moon is.

http://twistedsifter.com/2013/05/if-other-planets-were-as-close-to-earth-as-the-moon/

http://twistedsifter.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/if-saturn-was-as-close-to-earth-as-the-moon.jpg

DwnShft2Xcelr8
09-02-2014, 01:58 AM
I've also imagined that maybe in the next few decades we will potentially start picking up television shows, radio broadcasts, etc., that another alien planet have been transmitting for centuries.
Our tv shows, radio broadcasts and the like have been zipping through space, and everyday more signals are sent. It's not because we're trying to communicate with anyone or anything but because when a television broadcast is transmitted to the satellites revolving around Earth, they don't just stop at the satellite. They continue going forever through space.
What if we've already reached an alien planet that only recently began using their own televisions and radios? Maybe they're watching Hitler's speeches on tv right now (some of the first tv broadcasts ever are Hitler's speeches to the Nazi regime in Germany). Maybe they're witnessing news broadcasts about WWII and D-Day, wondering why our civilization is so dead set on destroying itself.
Maybe they've been listening to our oldie songs on the radio, actually enjoying the sound. I wonder how they'd react to how different radio and tv are today compared to when we first began using them.
I also wonder if they'll see the assassination of JFK and maybe spot something we've missed that reveals whether or not there was more than one shooter.

DwnShft2Xcelr8
09-02-2014, 02:02 AM
The sun is a star doe?

Yes, the sun is a star. We revolve around a massive star.
If we live on one of eight planets that revolve around this sun and the sun is a star, just imagine the possibility of another civilization living on another planet revolving around their own home star. Just how different they might be from us is a trip to think about, but what if they look just like us? What if their planet allowed them to evolve to look human, too?

DwnShft2Xcelr8
09-02-2014, 06:58 AM
If you've seen Mary Kate Olsen naked, does it automatically mean you've seen Ashley Olsen naked, too?

DwnShft2Xcelr8
09-03-2014, 11:50 AM
Just had another trippy thought:

What if I bump this thread and still no one else responds?

RidonKs
09-03-2014, 11:52 AM
yep

interesting and true. dunno how trippy though. just kinda factual in terms of possibility.

Swaggin916
09-03-2014, 08:00 PM
I've also imagined that maybe in the next few decades we will potentially start picking up television shows, radio broadcasts, etc., that another alien planet have been transmitting for centuries.
Our tv shows, radio broadcasts and the like have been zipping through space, and everyday more signals are sent. It's not because we're trying to communicate with anyone or anything but because when a television broadcast is transmitted to the satellites revolving around Earth, they don't just stop at the satellite. They continue going forever through space.
What if we've already reached an alien planet that only recently began using their own televisions and radios? Maybe they're watching Hitler's speeches on tv right now (some of the first tv broadcasts ever are Hitler's speeches to the Nazi regime in Germany). Maybe they're witnessing news broadcasts about WWII and D-Day, wondering why our civilization is so dead set on destroying itself.
Maybe they've been listening to our oldie songs on the radio, actually enjoying the sound. I wonder how they'd react to how different radio and tv are today compared to when we first began using them.
I also wonder if they'll see the assassination of JFK and maybe spot something we've missed that reveals whether or not there was more than one shooter.

All I know is that if there was a species that enjoyed hearing as much as we do... We should have got some signals immediately. As important as hearing is to the survival of species here, I conclude that either we are alone, or an earthly like experience is not at all typical.

Magic731
09-03-2014, 10:35 PM
If life didn't exist then there is just nothing, blackness for all of eternity.

NBAplayoffs2001
09-03-2014, 11:05 PM
You all likely know what constellations are, right?
Imagine one of the stars in a specific constellation--- say, Orion--- is basically the sun to another civilization's home planet. What if that civilization can see our Sun and see it as just another star that's a part of some constellation?
What if they use(d) our Sun for navigation at night just as we've used the North Star for centuries?
Wouldn't it be trippy to know we've been looking at another species' "Sun" without ever knowing that other species was there?

In b4 "what if OP is a fakkit" trolls.
Lol, I have like a 7000 word paper about relativity/constellations for a history class. Took forever to write but I ended up learning more science/math :applause:. I'm a nerd :facepalm

DwnShft2Xcelr8
09-04-2014, 01:10 PM
All I know is that if there was a species that enjoyed hearing as much as we do... We should have got some signals immediately. As important as hearing is to the survival of species here, I conclude that either we are alone, or an earthly like experience is not at all typical.

Or they are too far from us and their space-transmitted television and/or radio broadcasts haven't reached us yet.
Imagine the closest intelligent lifeforms are 1000 light-years away. Maybe they, like humans, only invented tv/radio over the past ~90 years. If that's the case, we wouldn't receive their signals for another 910 years.