PDA

View Full Version : Missing Ingredient for Team USA Basketball

SamuraiSWISH
09-02-2014, 02:52 AM
The most redeeming asset for Team USA Basketball through out history that we are now missing, that unfortunately makes us very beatable ...

The lack of our seemingly lab created, superhero athletic wing players that are the size of forwards, but long, lighting quick as guards who can pressure inferior International wing players.

The:

LeBron James
Kevin Durtants
Paul Georges
Andre Iguodalas
Kobe Bryants
Dwyane Wades
Kwahi Leonards

of America

Or in the past:

MJ
Pippen
Drexler
Magic
Hill
Penny
VC
McGrady
Odom

Without their lengthy, fast, athletic pressure defense hounding foreign guards, and wings as they cross half court ... we are visibly very beatable. And even with a good young core down low, we still lack the size, bangers, and experience of many other European teams.

Spain is looking good so far with a very much rejuvinated Pau Gasol. Things could get ugly. We were in a damn battle with Turkey for 3 quarters.

JohnFreeman
09-02-2014, 02:53 AM
I still don't understand Durant bailing

dubeta
09-02-2014, 02:54 AM
So basically small forwards or big SG's?

andremiller07
09-02-2014, 02:56 AM
Start Klay Thompson and Rudy Gay and stop running the worst defensive trio in the history of FIBA basketball of Curry, Irving and Harden

SamuraiSWISH
09-02-2014, 02:56 AM
So basically small forwards or big SG's?
Yea, basically to put it bluntly. But America's big SGs, and SFs has always given us SUCH an advantage over the rest of the world given their size, skill level, length, and athleticism. Particularly defensively.

inclinerator
09-02-2014, 02:57 AM
rudy gay is

dubeta
09-02-2014, 02:58 AM
Imagine if the 1-3 of team USA was Bran, MJ, and Pippen :eek:

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
Theyre not gonna beat Spain

SamuraiSWISH
Me neither. So selfish, so cowardly. Apparently it was influenced by Jay Z.

SamuraiSWISH
09-02-2014, 03:01 AM
Imagine if the 1-3 of team USA was Bran, MJ, and Pippen :eek:
I mean it was bad enough w/ MJ and Scottie. Ask Kukoc, and Petrovic.

Then throw in another Pippen type defender, with even more size? As a PG myself I shutter to think how I would react having to deal with 2x 6'8 super freak athletes, most versatile wing defenders ever pressuring me from either side. Long arms in the passing lanes.

All while the most tenacious on ball defender is right in front of me, also with ample size, strength, length, and absurd laterial quickness / anticipating skills / quick hands.

Goodnight Irene.

:(

nathanjizzle
09-02-2014, 04:22 AM
http://newnation.sg/wp-content/uploads/you-dont-say1.jpg

we are still winning though. will bring our A game come spain.

kurple
09-02-2014, 04:31 AM
what about lebron, cp3, blake, melo etc?

nathanjizzle
09-02-2014, 04:37 AM
what about lebron, cp3, blake, melo etc?

they are tenured superstars that only play in the real olympics

Oly BC
09-02-2014, 04:46 AM
The missing ingredients for team USA are
1) being able to reliably execute a set play (or have any set plays for that matter)
2) defend anything involving screens and ball/player movement

The US have lost with the players you say they are now missing direly.

JohnFreeman
09-02-2014, 04:59 AM
they are tenured superstars that only play in the real olympics
This.

Hey Yo
09-02-2014, 10:42 AM
Maybe Rose is the one who's missing?

Tom Haberstroh ‏@tomhaberstroh 2h

Derrick Rose so far in FIBA: 3-12 FG, 3 assists, 7 TO and 7 points in 40 minutes. Looked rough in back-to-back on Sunday.

hawksdogsbraves
09-02-2014, 10:46 AM
Rose can't shoot, so his game is no good for FIBA. Teams just pack the paint and he's basically useless.

It's true we don't have any great long wings, Rudy Gay has the perfect size to play that role but he just sort of sucks.

As long as the guards start actually sinking their open 3's though we should be ok. Our frontcourt has been great and is the best in the tourney, better than even Spain's.

Jef
09-02-2014, 11:25 AM
"The lack of our seemingly lab created, superhero athletic wing players that are the size of forwards, but long, lighting quick as guards who can pressure inferior International wing players."

http://www.basketsession.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Russell-Westbrook-se-met-%C3%A0-la-gratte.png

KG215
09-02-2014, 12:10 PM
Me neither. So selfish, so cowardly. Apparently it was influenced by Jay Z.
At the end of the day, it's no different or less "cowardly" and "selfish" than LeBron, Melo, CP3, Love, etc. not wanting to play from the beginning.

noob cake
09-02-2014, 12:14 PM
Should have cut Rose and brought in Wall.

Irving
Wall
Harden
Faried
Davis

Should give us some more defense and slashing when Curry is stinking it up (he has been). Irving, Faried and Davis have been statistically the best players. Hitler also manages to be quite efficient.

hawksdogsbraves
09-02-2014, 12:31 PM
At the end of the day, it's no different or less "cowardly" and "selfish" than LeBron, Melo, CP3, Love, etc. not wanting to play from the beginning.

Wrong, KD took up valuable practice time and a roster spot that could have been used on another wing, (like Leonard) but instead we had to call up Gay's bum ass at the very last second.

Backing out at the last possible second is definitely worse than not ever playing from the start.

GODbe
09-02-2014, 12:33 PM
Only thing missing thats actually notable is Kobe. What happened the last time USA went to war without Clutchbe? They had to count on the likes of LeBald to take the reins in the 4th Q.

Results:
http://www3.images.coolspotters.com/photos/679212/carlos-boozer-and-olympic-bronze-medal-gallery.jpg

Now it could be Rudy Gay, who's basically just a good looking LeBald:facepalm

r15mohd
09-02-2014, 01:07 PM
Only thing missing thats actually notable is Kobe. What happened the last time USA went to war without Clutchbe? They had to count on the likes of LeBald to take the reins in the 4th Q.

Results:
http://www3.images.coolspotters.com/photos/679212/carlos-boozer-and-olympic-bronze-medal-gallery.jpg

using rookie Lebron, Wade, Melo as the scapegoats? :rolleyes: :facepalm :no:

pegasus
09-02-2014, 01:10 PM

Results:

They look so happy.:lol

IncarceratedBob
09-02-2014, 01:52 PM
why is faried even on the team, he is straight garbo

Nick Young
09-02-2014, 01:53 PM
We sent out basically the USA D-team, the worst team USA I've ever seen, and are still 3-0.

I guess the guys like Durant, Carmelo and Lebron just got sick of winning so easily.

Atleast this way its fair for the rest of the world and they have a fighting chance.

KG215
09-02-2014, 01:54 PM
Wrong, KD took up valuable practice time and a roster spot that could have been used on another wing, (like Leonard) but instead we had to call up Gay's bum ass at the very last second.

Backing out at the last possible second is definitely worse than not ever playing from the start.
Leonard had already taken the "cowardly" way out and declined to play for Team USA back in June. Backing out at the last second looks worse, yes, but cowardly is the wrong word to use if someone is going to apply it solely to Durant. Backing out at the last second isn't any more cowardly than declining to play from the beginning. End result is Durant, LeBron, Carmelo, etc. decided their time would be better spent not playing for Team USA this summer.

You want to say Durant backing out last second was slimy, douchey, scumbag move, etc. fine, but cowardly doesn't apply to just Durant.

KG215
09-02-2014, 01:59 PM
I don't understand why you're dropping LeBron's name in this.. no active player has played more games for Team USA than LeBron..

and no active player has played in more playoffs (158) and finals (27) games since LeBron was drafted.
And no active player has played more total minutes than Durant sin 2010-2011 who has also done two tours with Team USA in that span.

ImKobe
09-02-2014, 01:59 PM

Have you even watched the games? Faried was a good pick for the team.

We sent out basically the USA D-team, the worst team USA I've ever seen, and are still 3-0.

I guess the guys like Durant, Carmelo and Lebron just got sick of winning so easily.

Atleast this way its fair for the rest of the world and they have a fighting chance.

None of us expected PG to get injured... And we still look dominant enough when the guys turn it on.

And to answer OP: PG IS the missing ingredient.

Beastmode88
09-02-2014, 02:02 PM

Did you watch the last 2 games? :biggums:

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
09-02-2014, 02:03 PM
I missed today's game (on my phone ATM), but there's some truth to what Nick Young just said.

No Durant, LeBron, CP3, Griffin, Dwight, Love, Carmelo, or Kobe (the first 5 would probably be starting) so my expectations aren't as high. I figure Spain and/or Lithuiana will give us a run for our money, as they should (Gasol bros, Rubio, Calderon, Fernandez and Rodriguez are all fantastic, NBA caliber guys).

KG215
09-02-2014, 02:05 PM

Results:

I guess you were in a coma during the 2010 World Championship.

SOD 21
09-02-2014, 02:05 PM
Derrick Rose has been absolutely awful so far through three games by shooting only 22% from the field with five points per game on six field goal attempts. He really should have been left off of this roster.

Also, major props to Kenneth Faried because he is arguably been the second best player for Team USA and has been a fantastic addition to the team. He always hustles, is a terror on the boards and impacts the game without having plays is called for him.

ImKobe
09-02-2014, 02:07 PM
I missed today's game (on my phone ATM), but there's some truth to what Nick Young just said.

No Durant, LeBron, CP3, Griffin, Dwight, Love, Carmelo, or Kobe (the first 5 would probably be starting) so my expectations aren't as high. I figure Spain and/or Lithuiana will give us a run for our money, as they should (Gasol bro's, Rubio, Calderon, Fernandez are all fantastic, NBA caliber guys).

Spain is the only team that could hang with Team USA, and their 3 best players are at best all-star reserves in Pau, Ibaka & Marc. I guess team chemistry plays a big role here and Spain looked very good against USA in the Olympics, but you have to factor in that Pau is not that good anymore.

Rubio is like a Rondo-lite, Calderon is a decent shooter but a horrible defender, Fernandez is pretty much the same.

I think the biggest problem with this team is age. Not too much FIBA experience among the guys except for like 4 of them. Spain will be an issue inside and if Calderon & Fernandez get it going from 3, we could be in for a nail-biter of a game.

Not too worried about Lithuania really, they just lost to Australia with Baynes giving them the business. They were down by 21 at the half.

Guess you could be worried about Valanciunas, but I don't see it right now.

hawksdogsbraves
09-02-2014, 02:57 PM
Derrick Rose has been absolutely awful so far through three games by shooting only 22% from the field with five points per game on six field goal attempts. He really should have been left off of this roster.

Also, major props to Kenneth Faried because he is arguably been the second best player for Team USA and has been a fantastic addition to the team. He always hustles, is a terror on the boards and impacts the game without having plays is called for him.

Not even arguably, he's been the second best player easily.

Guards need to step it up.

hawksdogsbraves
09-02-2014, 02:58 PM

No Durant, LeBron, CP3, Griffin, Dwight, Love, Carmelo, or Kobe (the first 5 would probably be starting) so my expectations aren't as high. I figure Spain and/or Lithuiana will give us a run for our money, as they should (Gasol bros, Rubio, Calderon, Fernandez and Rodriguez are all fantastic, NBA caliber guys).

Spain for sure, Lithuania? No. They just got shat on by Australia, now it is unlikely they win their group and therefore will get murdered by USA or Spain in the quarterfinals and not medal.

The international crop right now is very very weak outside of Spain.

SpanishACB
09-02-2014, 03:02 PM

:applause:

ralph_i_el
09-02-2014, 04:04 PM
Spain is the only team that could hang with Team USA, and their 3 best players are at best all-star reserves in Pau, Ibaka & Marc. I guess team chemistry plays a big role here and Spain looked very good against USA in the Olympics, but you have to factor in that Pau is not that good anymore.

Rubio is like a Rondo-lite, Calderon is a decent shooter but a horrible defender, Fernandez is pretty much the same.

I think the biggest problem with this team is age. Not too much FIBA experience among the guys except for like 4 of them. Spain will be an issue inside and if Calderon & Fernandez get it going from 3, we could be in for a nail-biter of a game.

Not too worried about Lithuania really, they just lost to Australia with Baynes giving them the business. They were down by 21 at the half.

Guess you could be worried about Valanciunas, but I don't see it right now.
Fernandez and Calderon are both really good shooters.
USAs big advantage over Spain in recent years has been big athletic wings, and we didn't bring our best ones. It could be a game :confusedshrug:

I want America to win, but its more rewarding when we play some tough/close games. Its boring to double up on Finland. Its more fun when we get played tough like against Turkey.

Hey Yo
09-02-2014, 04:36 PM
And no active player has played more total minutes than Durant sin 2010-2011 who has also done two tours with Team USA in that span.
He said he was exhausted and cited physical fatigue for the reasoning. If that were the case, then why tell reporters to stay after practice and "watch the show" as him and Harden battled H2H for 45mins.

Don't cite fatigue and expect others to believe it.