Smook A.
09-02-2014, 07:14 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=77JplAz5aTE

Felt uncomfortable watching it.

20Four
09-02-2014, 07:16 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=77JplAz5aTE

Felt uncomfortable watching it.
They do that shit for rugby....lol didnt know they would do that shit on the basketball court though....lmao

Warfan
09-02-2014, 07:19 PM
They do that all the time before a rugby union game. I've never seen them do it before a bball game though :lol

Also lol at harden & faried's faces :oldlol:

CavaliersFTW
09-02-2014, 07:19 PM
That's not really that awkward, it's a cultural/traditional/ritual thing. It's probably important to them. Objectively speaking, looking from the outside in, how is it any more awkward than say, Americans having some kid sing the Star Spangled Banner before NBA games while everyone stands in silence? Rituals are only awkward if you don't understand them.

Meticode
09-02-2014, 07:20 PM
...and then the U.S. proceeds to beat New Zealand by 27 points. :oldlol:

RedBlackAttack
09-02-2014, 07:23 PM
That's not really that awkward, it's a cultural/traditional/ritual thing. It's probably important to them. Objectively speaking, looking from the outside in, how is it any more awkward than say, Americans having some kid sing the Star Spangled Banner before NBA games while everyone stands in silence? Rituals are only awkward if you don't understand them.
First of all, it is a pretty physically imposing ritual, unlike the Star Spangled Banner. If you didn't know anything about their culture, it would look like they're about to attack your @ss with some coconuts or some sh!t.

Secondly, the fact that everyone in the arena knew they had no chance -- including the guys doing the chanting and the guys being chanted at -- made it a bit more awkward than it otherwise would have been.

Faried's face was pretty priceless.

fpliii
09-02-2014, 07:25 PM
LOL

-smak

RedBlackAttack
09-02-2014, 07:27 PM
Works a bit better for football.

HAKA - The Trojan Style
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8VUbjcj7pM)

Smook A.
09-02-2014, 07:27 PM
They do that shit for rugby....lol didnt know they would do that shit on the basketball court though....lmao

They do that all the time before a rugby union game. I've never seen them do it before a bball game though :lol

Also lol at harden & faried's faces :roll:

Never knew that. I guess I learned something new today :confusedshrug:

Yeah I had no idea it was a ritual thing, that's why it felt awkward I guess.

RedBlackAttack
09-02-2014, 07:29 PM
Yeah I had no idea it was a ritual thing, that's why it felt awkward I guess.
No, you felt awkward because it was awkward as hell. :oldlol:

MrC1991
09-02-2014, 07:31 PM
LMAO @ Attack you with some coconuts n shit, but that was pretty cool. Do my best to not be ignorant of other peoples cultures.

Smook A.
09-02-2014, 07:32 PM
No, you felt awkward because it was awkward as hell. :oldlol:
Yeah I can't deny that :oldlol:

Also, you think any of the USA guys knew it was a ritual? The looks on their faces were priceless.

CavaliersFTW
09-02-2014, 07:32 PM
First of all, it is a pretty physically imposing ritual, unlike the Star Spangled Banner. If you didn't know anything about their culture, it would look like they're about to attack your @ss with some coconuts or some sh!t.

Secondly, the fact that everyone in the arena knew they had no chance -- including the guys doing the chanting and the guys being chanted at -- made it a bit more awkward than it otherwise would have been.

I've seen enough aboriginal and pacific islanders, including Hawaiians doing similar tribal dances for various events to have not felt that was any more awkward than any other useless ritual though... western civilization or otherwise. All rituals looking from an outsiders point of view in look strange and useless, and/or can come off as backwards or possibly even rude to someone who is not accustomed to it. I understand why you guys think it's weird... but depending on where you stand it isn't any more weird than any other rituals we ourselves do.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
09-02-2014, 07:33 PM
Love the comment section. New Zealander cvnts acting like everyone should know what this is. :oldlol:

RedBlackAttack
09-02-2014, 07:37 PM
I've seen enough aboriginal and pacific islanders, including Hawaiians doing similar tribal dances for various events to have not felt that was any more awkward than any other useless ritual though... western civilization or otherwise. All rituals looking from an outsiders point of view in look strange and useless, and/or can come off as backwards or possibly even rude to someone who is not accustomed to it. I understand why you guys think it's weird... but depending on where you stand it isn't any more weird than any other rituals we ourselves do.
I'm not even saying I think it's weird. I've actually seen it a few times before at various sporting events. But, there is an aggressive quality to it that is undeniable. And, in this case where the US can basically name the score, going through this very aggressive chant at the beginning of the game creates an awkwardness.

It's the contrast between the image that New Zealand's team was portraying during the chant and what we all knew was going to happen... that's why it felt strange for me. :confusedshrug:

Trollsmasher
09-02-2014, 07:38 PM
those are men proud of their culture and heritage:applause:

RedBlackAttack
09-02-2014, 07:39 PM
those are men proud of their culture and heritage:applause:
...and about to be beaten badly in a game of basketball.

CavaliersFTW
09-02-2014, 07:44 PM
I'm not even saying I think it's weird. I've actually seen it a few times before at various sporting events. But, there is an aggressive quality to it that is undeniable. And, in this case where the US can basically name the score, going through this very aggressive chant at the beginning of the game creates an awkwardness.

It's the contrast between the image that New Zealand's team was portraying during the chant and what we all knew was going to happen... that's why it felt strange for me. :confusedshrug:
Of course it's aggressive, it's before a sporting event. Watch a few documentaries on aborigines or islanders where such dances are shown and it will be revealed that in the past it was done before battles... sporting events are battles with a set of arbitrary rules and refs. I have no problem with them doing some war dance or something before a sporting event heck I even kinda like that stuff, they can be as aggressive as they want. If it's tradition and/or helps put them in the zone to compete or w/e, more power to them.

RedBlackAttack
09-02-2014, 07:47 PM
Of course it's aggressive, it's before a sporting event. Watch a few documentaries on aborigines or islanders where such dances are shown and it will be revealed that in the past it was done before battles... sporting events are battles with a set of arbitrary rules and refs. I have no problem with them doing some war dance or something before a sporting event heck I even kinda like that stuff, they can be as aggressive as they want. If it's tradition and/or helps put them in the zone to compete or w/e, more power to them.
I have absolutely zero problem with it. They're free to do all of the choreographed cultural chanting and dancing they feel appropriate. That doesn't make it any less awkward to watch, at least from my vantage point.

Trollsmasher
09-02-2014, 07:49 PM
does not matter at all:confusedshrug:

CavaliersFTW
09-02-2014, 07:49 PM
So? Should they forgo their cultural pride then?

How awkward was 2004 team USA for going home with bronze and STILL listening to the Star Spangled Banner in front of everyone before that last game?

imdaman99
09-02-2014, 07:51 PM
I don't see it being any different if a football team does it, which could be intimidating to the opponent.

It looks pretty cool to me, but the US was not gonna be intimidated by that :oldlol: More like :wtf:

BuffaloBill
09-02-2014, 07:59 PM
it would have been at least kind of cool if they didn't get beat by 30 points

Rake2204
09-02-2014, 08:00 PM
I tuned in late and got to wondering if New Zealand's basketball team also partook in that tradition. It was cool to see, though I admit I found America's reactions to be humorous.

BuffaloBill
09-02-2014, 08:02 PM

stop :roll: :roll: :roll:

SyRyanYang
09-02-2014, 08:07 PM

How awkward was 2004 team USA for going home with bronze and STILL listening to the Star Spangled Banner in front of everyone before that last game?
:applause: :applause:

no pun intended
09-02-2014, 08:19 PM
Anthropology 101. Not everything revolves around your respective culture.

RedBlackAttack
09-02-2014, 08:19 PM

Come on, man. :oldlol:

There is absolutely no parallel between listening to your National Anthem and watching this particular cultural custom. Every country in world that takes part in the Olympic Games has their National Anthem played when they win a medal.

There's nothing aggressive or particularly interesting about it.

Something can be both customary and awkward. I also think this custom is pretty cool in certain settings.

Probably the closest thing to this that we have in America is when a fighter jet goes screeching over a football stadium prior to kickoff, but even that isn't being orchestrated by the players of one team at the opposition. It's just the country flexing its military muscles a bit, which some people might find odd... and I'd understand why.

I get it. It's a custom and they're proud New Zealanders. I have absolutely no problem with it. They can do it every day in the middle of the street for all I care.

It just so happens that I found this particular rendition in this particular setting against this particular team awkward. You don't choose for something to be awkward. It either is or isn't. I thought that this was.

Not much more to say.

brantonli
09-02-2014, 08:21 PM
I have absolutely zero problem with it. They're free to do all of the choreographed cultural chanting and dancing they feel appropriate. That doesn't make it any less awkward to watch, at least from my vantage point.

First time I went to an American basketball game, I felt it was ridiculously awkward standing for the USA national anthem. Sure, I can understand doing it for World Cup games and international games, but for regular NBA games? I didn't (and still don't really) understand it.

Just a matter of perspective.

no pun intended
09-02-2014, 08:24 PM
First time I went to an American basketball game, I felt it was ridiculously awkward standing for the USA national anthem. Sure, I can understand doing it for World Cup games and international games, but for regular NBA games? I didn't (and still don't really) understand it.

http://youtu.be/l2N9nOrp6PE?t=3m57s

Imagine how Scola felt.

RedBlackAttack
09-02-2014, 08:27 PM

That's fair.

The difference between that and this, though, is that the National Anthem isn't being aimed at anyone in particular and maybe this cultural chant/dance wasn't either (I don't know the history of it)... but it looked like it was. Which is where the meat of the awkwardness was found, imo.

Again, just expressing my opinion. I'm not saying that everyone has to feel uncomfortable watching it.

CavaliersFTW
09-02-2014, 08:28 PM

^- yes. Exactly. All things "foreign" to someone comes off as weird/awkward. Whether or not something seems foreign just depends on things you've observed in your own life. That dance is a bit of a culture shock to most people in the U.S. ...people in the U.S. are so used to the world around them emulating everything they do, when someone does something we're not accustomed too we get all defensive. "We beat them by 30, they knew they were gonna lose, why would they do that!?"

Well. If you don't get it, you just don't get it. It quite obviously wasn't about winning or losing being that they did the dance before the competition began. Just like singing our National Anthem isn't about winning or losing.

RedBlackAttack
09-02-2014, 08:28 PM
http://youtu.be/l2N9nOrp6PE?t=3m57s

Imagine how Scola felt.
Again, completely and totally awkward under those specific circumstances. :oldlol:

Just like I found this awkward under the circumstances.

TheReal Kendall
09-02-2014, 08:29 PM
Seeing this reminds me of this:
http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMjAzODA3MzE4NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjIwMzAwMQ@@._ V1_SY317_CR4,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

So it's not the first time I seen that dance thing. I was quite interested in the culture after watching this movie when I was a youngster.

JohnFreeman
09-02-2014, 08:29 PM
I like when they do it in Rugby

Fudge
09-02-2014, 08:32 PM
:roll:

BRUH IM DEAD

L.Kizzle
09-02-2014, 08:33 PM
That's some Drumline/You Got Served shit. I thought USA was gonna battle them.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
09-02-2014, 08:34 PM
Unless the person singing ****s up the words or really just has a terrible voice, not sure how you can think a country performing their national anthem = awkward. I've seen it countless times in the world cup, Olympics, fiba.. Hell in most sporting events. It's called tradition.

This, albeit foreign, had an aggressive tone. The fact they were looking directly into the eyes of the US players made it all the more...awkward.

outbreak
09-02-2014, 08:36 PM
I've seen it done for a bunch of New Zealand sports. Being in Australia we see them far more often than most countries but I was surprised more Americans weren't aware of what it was and that the NBA players (being international athletes) had never come across it or heard about it before. I've heard Steven Adams has done it for OKC and I know Patty Mills did some torres strait dances for the spurs, just thought more people would have at least had at least heard about it.

JimmyMcAdocious
09-02-2014, 08:38 PM
Would be less awkward if there weren't so many skinny white guys.

sick_brah07
09-02-2014, 08:42 PM
I like when they do it in Rugby
When they do it against australia in rugby its the best

Nz are usually very good and very physical in rugby so it would scare you and ofcourse I love seeing the australians smile back no giving a ****

CavaliersFTW
09-02-2014, 08:43 PM
Unless the person singing ****s up the words or really just has a terrible voice, not sure how you can think a country performing their national anthem = awkward. I've seen it countless times in the world cup, Olympics, fiba.. Hell in most sporting events. It's called tradition.

This, albeit foreign, had an aggressive tone. The fact they were looking directly into the eyes of the US players made it all the more...awkward.
The Haka is also a tradition... It just isn't widespread in Western Civilization.

Singing a National Anthem is ingrained into Western Civilization ... which the U.S. falls under. So of course that shit isn't awkward to you.

Show a person who isn't familiar with how we Americans for example, like to play our National Anthem before every damn sporting event even down to high school football games doing it and they will cringe too. Why do we do that, why is it necessary? It's no less totally weird to an outsider who's never experienced it than this Haka is to you, I'd guarantee it. How about a football huddle where the players are bouncing up and down saying some chant putting their hands together and running out onto the field... it's just another ritual. Would be no less weird/aggressive than the Haka to an outsider who's never seen such a thing. Nor would a "marching band" performance their fight song marching onto the field before a game or putting on a show at half time. Everything is weird if you aren't accustomed to it and don't understand why it is done.

outbreak
09-02-2014, 08:46 PM
The Haka is also a tradition... It just isn't widespread in Western Civilization.

Singing a National Anthem is ingrained into Western Civilization ... which the U.S. falls under. So of course that shit isn't awkward to you.

Show a person who isn't familiar with how we Americans for example, like to play our National Anthem before every damn sporting event even down to high school football games doing it and they will cringe too. Why do we do that, why is it necessary? It's no less totally weird to an outsider who's never experienced it than this Haka is to you, I'd guarantee it. How about a football huddle where the players are bouncing up and down saying some chant putting their hands together and running out onto the field... it's just another ritual. Would be no less weird/aggressive than the Haka to an outsider who's never seen such a thing.
great points. It isn't just New Zealand who have performed their tribal dance at sporting events either, I'm pretty sure some other island countries like tonga and samoa have similar traditions in other sports. I don't think it's a big deal, people are being silly if they think another team will be physically intimidated and worried about physical violence by a dance routine at an international sporting event.

SamuraiSWISH
09-02-2014, 08:47 PM
GIF of awkward James Harden please. Oh, and Faried eyebrow being raised. We all seem confused, embarrassed, and awkward for them. That was beyond weird. Especially some of their faces while doing it.

CavaliersFTW
09-02-2014, 08:53 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbK6KiqkOKQ

Look how weird, aggressive and cringeworthy this shit is... A "fight" song!? Men dressed in mock historic military uniform!? And they do this before a game, even if they know they won't win against a superior opponent!? :wtf:

:no:

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
09-02-2014, 08:54 PM

Show a person who isn't familiar with how we Americans for example, like to play our National Anthem before every damn sporting event even down to high school football games doing it and they will cringe too. Why do we do that, why is it necessary? It's no less totally weird to an outsider who's never experienced it than this Haka is to you, I'd guarantee it. How about a football huddle where the players are bouncing up and down saying some chant putting their hands together and running out onto the field... it's just another ritual. Would be no less weird/aggressive than the Haka to an outsider who's never seen such a thing.

The National Anthem isn't just a "Western thing". Watch the Olympics or a big sporting event. It's tradition for every country participating - and nobody cares.

Any opponent that decides to scream and stare my way like some crazy ape, is going to feel like they're showing me up. Hence it being awkward.

JohnFreeman
09-02-2014, 08:54 PM
When they do it against australia in rugby its the best

Nz are usually very good and very physical in rugby so it would scare you and ofcourse I love seeing the australians smile back no giving a ****
I remember watching Wallabies v All Blacks couple of years back, and the Australians walked up on them while they were doing it.

outbreak
09-02-2014, 08:55 PM
Another example is how American athletes love to tap each other on the bum or give each others bums a little squeeze. A lot of countries cringe at that.

Twiens
09-02-2014, 08:57 PM
Team USA looks confused as **** :oldlol:

Sportal
09-02-2014, 08:57 PM
You guys will see again when the All Blacks beat the USA by 40. The rugby players do it a lot better.

Admittedly though, as a New Zealander, I don't feel it has a place in international basketball.

rhowen4
09-02-2014, 09:03 PM
My favorite part was d rose doing his signature swaying in place :lol

KyrieTheFuture
09-02-2014, 09:15 PM
If you don't like the Haka you're a ****ing loser

bluechox2
09-02-2014, 09:21 PM
they scared the defense out of harden

G-train
09-02-2014, 09:27 PM
GIF of awkward James Harden please. Oh, and Faried eyebrow being raised. We all seem confused, embarrassed, and awkward for them. That was beyond weird. Especially some of their faces while doing it.

It's beyond weird for an American, but as someone who has seen many sporting contests involving NZ, it was normal.

Rugby players are scarier and its an aggressive game, so I do believe it is much more fitting in that.

buddha
09-02-2014, 09:28 PM
would be pretty cool if everyone on the usa did the harlem shake before each game.

CavaliersFTW
09-02-2014, 09:41 PM
Rose would do that even if he was asked to perform the Haka

dr.hee
09-02-2014, 09:41 PM
they scared the defense out of harden

:lol

Everybody can do this though. All it takes is dribbling towards him. Dude just watches in shock.

kennethgriffin
09-02-2014, 09:42 PM
theyre just trying to be WWE wrestlers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2LqcFvTO7c

pretty lame

RedBlackAttack
09-02-2014, 09:50 PM
Wonder what Euroleague thinks about Haka? I'm genuinely interested.

Something tells me I would have been called a POS racist in this thread.

oh the horror
09-02-2014, 09:51 PM

No. The Star-Spangled Banner would be awkward if we proceeded to yell it at you while in a group accompanied by a dance.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
09-02-2014, 09:52 PM
No. The Star-Spangled Banner would be awkward if we proceeded to yell it at you while in a group accompanied by a dance.
Pretty much.

Trollsmasher
09-02-2014, 09:55 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI6TRTBZUMM > American anthem:confusedshrug:

oh the horror
09-02-2014, 09:59 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI6TRTBZUMM > American anthem:confusedshrug:

Sounded like a zombie attack at the beginning.

outbreak
09-02-2014, 10:01 PM
it's just a country trying to show off and celebrate it's culture and heritage

RedBlackAttack
09-02-2014, 10:04 PM
it's just a country trying to show off and celebrate it's culture and heritage
We get it.

andremiller07
09-02-2014, 10:37 PM
As someone who had the misfortune of living in NZ the haka is probs one of the lamest things out, the obsession with it is over the top and embarrassing to watch. People literally randomly do them in public as well it's really sad

Richesly
09-02-2014, 10:43 PM
I respect them. It's a cultural thing to do.

LMAO THEY ARE SOME ******S.

Genaro
09-02-2014, 11:02 PM
Americans disrespecting a foreign culture. Why I am not surprised? :rolleyes:

Richesly
09-02-2014, 11:04 PM

>complains about americans disrespecting a foreign culture
>proceeds to insult all americans with a passive-aggressive stereotype.

alright buddy.

Sh0tee
09-02-2014, 11:23 PM
I actually prefer the lyrics of the Haka here then what they do in Union. Still is much more threading looking when done by the Union players though.

alenleomessi
09-02-2014, 11:46 PM
kenneth is like- these noobs are going to get abused

ballup
09-02-2014, 11:50 PM
You could tell members of Team USA were shaking in their sneakers. They should implement a similar strategy.

funnystuff
09-03-2014, 12:05 AM
I don't see how people can compare singing a song to this. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Might as well stick a shell on your back, get a lethal weapon and call yourself a teenager.

funnystuff
09-03-2014, 12:06 AM
Never read such irony. Just wow. :applause:

stephanieg
09-03-2014, 12:22 AM
Reminded me of this. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1csr0dxalpI) Similar outcome too.

Pointguard
09-03-2014, 12:34 AM

Actually Rose did the Chicago thing - he stepped forward. I think while you were running away from your screen you couldn't tell.

oh the horror
09-03-2014, 12:38 AM

Right. Because no one ever disrespects Americans.

G-train
09-03-2014, 12:49 AM
...and then the U.S. proceeds to beat New Zealand by 27 points. :oldlol:

Yeah but really was a 20 point game, got a bit blown out in garbage time.
If Team USA were as good as advertised they would beat NZ by 40, and be up 30 in the second.

Sakkreth
09-03-2014, 12:53 AM
It's kinda cool if you ask me. Seen it for like 5th time though, including in person this year.

Pointguard
09-03-2014, 12:55 AM
A lot of cultures on the planet have some demonstration of courage and unity in their team orchestration. You guys have never been to step shows??? We have full fledged two hour shows of similar demonstration on at least a thousand campuses here in the US. This is regular Fraternity stuff right here in the US. Goes back about 3000 years.

I've seen Shaq and Jordan signify like these guys. Because they were honoree members they weren't ask to be in the step shows so they didn't take it further.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyyiFiCJ1AY And this is a lot weirder than what's in the OP.

Pointguard
09-03-2014, 01:07 AM
And this dance is usually done before big rivalry games as well. Its just that it has become so elaborate its done moreso the night before.

Maga_1
09-03-2014, 01:31 AM
It's kinda cool if you ask me. Seen it for like 5th time though, including in person this year.

This year at the u18 girls european, i watched Lietuva and there was a guy in the stands that always looked at us, and start chating and moving his hands like a maestro for us to sing "Li-e-tu-va".. the guy alone put the all section of portuguese people chanting for them :lol

About pre game rituals, France had one that was pretty cool.
They would aline in the freethrow line and star doing defensive drills, screaming and squezing their feet to the girls on the other side.. like, in the last 2 minutes of pre game. Pretty intimidating for girls :lol

GimmeThat
09-03-2014, 01:34 AM
the most awkward sh*t ever is when a parties ritual is to use someone as a sacrifice to their God.

no pun intended
09-03-2014, 01:37 AM
Right. Because no one ever disrespects Americans.
And Genaro gave the reason why lmao.

D-FENS
09-03-2014, 06:54 AM
Love the comment section. New Zealander cvnts acting like everyone should know what this is. :oldlol:

It's cringe worthy, and I am a NZer. Too many sports are doing it now, and look at those awkward ass whiteys

Sakkreth
09-03-2014, 07:21 AM
This year at the u18 girls european, i watched Lietuva and there was a guy in the stands that always looked at us, and start chating and moving his hands like a maestro for us to sing "Li-e-tu-va".. the guy alone put the all section of portuguese people chanting for them :lol

About pre game rituals, France had one that was pretty cool.
They would aline in the freethrow line and star doing defensive drills, screaming and squezing their feet to the girls on the other side.. like, in the last 2 minutes of pre game. Pretty intimidating for girls :lol

That lithuanian guy is quite typical fan, he was probably like semi drunk too. It may be a bit arrogant by them, but lithuanian fans always think that neutral fans will cheer for Lithuania and they also try to make them do it too.

That ritual by french girls sounds weird as fck especially if it's to intimidate other team... I could see how it could may pump up themselves for the game, but still weird.

Nash
09-03-2014, 07:52 AM
lol, ISH..

Watch Coach K and how he told his players to line up in front of the players and respect their ritual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcMfliL6paU

bigt
09-03-2014, 07:53 AM
I'm kinda surprised the pre-game Haka ritual isn't more well known, but I guess growing up as an Aussie and the constant battles with the All-Blacks in Rugby has just made it a part of their sporting culture (and heritage of course)

Admittedly it's a bit more intimidating with their rugby team because they're all a bit bulkier/stronger, and the fact their rugby team is far stronger than their basketball team. I think it's a really cool thing to do before a game, far more interesting than a national anthem, and is probably done with a bit more passion too (The Aussie national anthem sucks though, probably partly why I think that)

NZStreetBaller
09-03-2014, 08:31 AM
lol well the haka is known now.

Walker
09-03-2014, 08:49 AM
It's awkward cause it's stupid.
The Haka is a Maori war cry, not some dance for a bunch of Anglo Kiwis to prance around in a sports arena.

I hope the Boomers get to play those jokers in this WC so we can crowd them and laugh in their faces as usual... stupid sheep shaggers.

bigt
09-03-2014, 08:56 AM
Im a big fan of the Haka and I love when the All-Blacks peform it during the Rugby,

However im not a fan of every New Zealand sporting team thinking they should do it as well. The Haka is so loved in Rugby because its a part of the sports culture and history. I know people who tune into Rugby games specifically just to see the Haka peformed. No body wants to see the New Zealand cricket or netball teams doing this.

Theres no doubt its awkward in this situation because no one knows what the f is going on. Opposition Rugby players and fans respect the Haka when its performed because they know what its about. The looks on the American players faces like say it all. I dont think theyre been disrespetful either. They honestly dont know what to make of it. This is shown by the fact that they clapat the end of it. Thats probly the most disrepectful thing you can do to a Haka because its pretty much mocking/laughing at the threat

Just got a picture of Daniel Vettori doing the Haka in the test Whites and sweater. That would be absolutely brilliant :roll:

stanlove1111
09-03-2014, 09:05 AM

What a lame comparison you are forced to use to argue with someone..How is that the same at all?

stanlove1111
09-03-2014, 09:15 AM

OMG..He actually found a lamer comparison..

Jam that square peg into that round hole until your intestines pop through. All for the sake of argument.

stanlove1111
09-03-2014, 09:48 AM

Its like you are joking. You admit yourself that everyone does the National Anthem and everyone has sat through them. But you are seriously trying to compare it to a war dance while going towards your opponent while screaming at them..I have never seen that before at a sporting event and I am sure most people have not..The comparison is ridiculous at best.I am sure they made sure to warn the US about it.

We see how this thread went. People who thought it was awkward made rational argument and people who tried to deny it were grasping for ridiculous comparisons.

Doesn't mean it wasn't pretty cool which I think it was it was just weird and awkward. Lets just hope they don't run into a ghetto US team sometime who goes on the attack when they see it. Because they ain't playing that shit.

poido123
09-03-2014, 10:21 AM

No real need to read into it.

Its the warcry for the Maori natives, something they will do in any professional sport regardless of if they think they will win or lose. They are letting the other team know that they are ready for a battle and will give their best.

The US reaction comes off a touch arrogant, but that's to be expected with the egos they have and knowing they will likely win.

poido123
09-03-2014, 10:24 AM
What a lame comparison you are forced to use to argue with someone..How is that the same at all?

I see the comparison there.

I enjoy the drama and buildup before a game, I like a countries patriotism so the US star spangled song doesn't bother me, but I can see how it could be cringeworthy to many other people.

Same goes for the Haka.

stanlove1111
09-03-2014, 10:37 AM
I see the comparison there.

I enjoy the drama and buildup before a game, I like a countries patriotism so the US star spangled song doesn't bother me, but I can see how it could be cringeworthy to many other people.

Same goes for the Haka.

Once again..All countries from time to time play their Nation Anthem before sporting events. Very few do war dances before sporting events.

If you see a comparison I don't know how.

poido123
09-03-2014, 10:54 AM
Once again..All countries from time to time play their Nation Anthem before sporting events. Very few do war dances before sporting events.

If you see a comparison I don't know how.

As someone who is familiar with New Zealand, I can tell you that they adopt the Haka nearly as heartfelt as they do the national anthem.

Like a second verse or secondary national anthem.

You don't understand this, because you don't know the people or the culture of New Zealand.

All good, you aren't expected to know.

andremiller07
09-03-2014, 11:12 AM
As someone who is familiar with New Zealand, I can tell you that they adopt the Haka nearly as heartfelt as they do the national anthem.

You don't understand this, because you don't know the people or the culture of New Zealand.

Its not the NZ people it's just the Maori s which don't even make up a large part of the population. Honestly if I were a NZer I would find it embarrassing to watch it, that stuff has no place in sport.

stanlove1111
09-03-2014, 11:33 AM

That doesn't change the fact that nobody else does a war dance before a game and nobody else is used to it.

If US starts a tradition where talking off they clothes and jumping up and down becomes a secondary national anthem it doesn't matter of others understand it or not. Its weird..

poido123
09-03-2014, 11:44 AM
That doesn't change the fact that nobody else does a war dance before a game and nobody else is used to it.

If US starts a tradition where talking off they clothes and jumping up and down becomes a secondary national anthem it doesn't matter of others understand it or not. Its weird..

You really don't get it.

You're letting this wardance thing matter waaaay too much, its just part of their anthem delivery?

Its nothing like jumping up and down with no clothes on lol

poido123
09-03-2014, 11:47 AM
Its not the NZ people it's just the Maori s which don't even make up a large part of the population. Honestly if I were a NZer I would find it embarrassing to watch it, that stuff has no place in sport.

1 in 7 new Zealanders are Maori. I'd say that's a sizeable amount.

Its fine that you don't like it, but for them its a way they show their national pride and rrecognize their native people.

brantonli
09-03-2014, 11:53 AM
Its like you are joking. You admit yourself that everyone does the National Anthem and everyone has sat through them. But you are seriously trying to compare it to a war dance while going towards your opponent while screaming at them..I have never seen that before at a sporting event and I am sure most people have not..The comparison is ridiculous at best.I am sure they made sure to warn the US about it.

We see how this thread went. People who thought it was awkward made rational argument and people who tried to deny it were grasping for ridiculous comparisons.

Doesn't mean it wasn't pretty cool which I think it was it was just weird and awkward. Lets just hope they don't run into a ghetto US team sometime who goes on the attack when they see it. Because they ain't playing that shit.

Read my post carefully. I meant that I completely understand national anthems when it's country vs country games (Olympics, FIBA, whatever) but when it's just a regular season NBA game, when both teams are majority American? I didn't get the point at all. You are used to it because you've seen it a million times, the first time I went to one I had no idea what the hell was going on, just like you had no idea why they were doing their traditional war dance.

Pointguard
09-03-2014, 11:55 AM

Its the warcry for the Maori natives, something they will do in any professional sport regardless of if they think they will win or lose. They are letting the other team know that they are ready for a battle and will give their best.

The US reaction comes off a touch arrogant, but that's to be expected with the egos they have and knowing they will likely win.
This isn't that foreign to the US. Its a basic part of Fraternity/Sorority culture which is on thousands of campuses here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkiw_VDRQGk and that's from a very popular movie. And its always done at homecoming games. Like I said, it usually happens the day before now because it is a show all of itself now.

stanlove1111
09-03-2014, 01:18 PM
Read my post carefully. I meant that I completely understand national anthems when it's country vs country games (Olympics, FIBA, whatever) but when it's just a regular season NBA game, when both teams are majority American? I didn't get the point at all. You are used to it because you've seen it a million times, the first time I went to one I had no idea what the hell was going on, just like you had no idea why they were doing their traditional war dance.

I read your post and get your point. But I just know comparing that to a war dance which nobody ever does before a game is ridiculous..

You have sat through national anthems at sporting events before. The fact that the US does it at more vents then others is a reiculous reason to compare it to a war dance.

stanlove1111
09-03-2014, 01:24 PM
You really don't get it.

You're letting this wardance thing matter waaaay too much, its just part of their anthem delivery?

Its nothing like jumping up and down with no clothes on lol

You obviously can't grasp the point of jumping up and done with no clothes on.

The point is just saying its your countries back up national anthem and others don't get it doesn't make it not weird..

Just like screaming at your opponent while doing a war dance is weird whether others get it or not. I don't care if its their 2nd national anthem..Its weird..

oarabbus
09-03-2014, 01:52 PM

Uhhh... what? It was absolutely not arrogant at all. They respectfully watched the ritual, and clapped afterwards. It was classy, the opposite of arrogant :facepalm

Compare that to Turkey who turned their backs and walked off, ignoring the NZ team. That is far more arrogant.

SpanishACB
09-03-2014, 01:55 PM
I was beaten to it but I'd say it's as awkward as those acapella US anthems in the playoffs for anyone that isn't an US patriot or has musical taste.

It's like a detune contest.

stanlove1111
09-03-2014, 02:04 PM
I was beaten to it but I'd say it's as awkward as those acapella US anthems in the playoffs for anyone that isn't an US patriot or has musical taste.

It's like a detune contest.

Yeah good point. A national anthem which every country plays is as awkward as this..eyes rolling...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDucvQYlWj4

SpanishACB
09-03-2014, 02:10 PM
Yeah good point. A national anthem which every country plays is as awkward as this..eyes rolling...

:facepalm

do I really need to highlight all the differences?

National teams play anthems before international matches.

They don't get some kid or pop star to crack his own voice singing false notes acapella to play in an American league amongst american public... It's awkward, specially for the players featuring in the playoffs that aren't american.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, I'm just saying perspective would do plenty of you lots of good.

stanlove1111
09-03-2014, 02:15 PM

do I really need to highlight all the differences?

National teams play anthems before international matches.

They don't get some kid or pop star to crack his own voice acapella to play in an American league amongst american public... It's awkward, specially for the players featuring in the playoffs that aren't american.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, I'm just saying perspective would do plenty of you lots of good.

He posts that after saying perspective would do plenty good. Again eyes rolling..

Once again all countries play the national anthem and all have different people sing them..If you think that is as weird as a screaming war dance you are not very bright...Do all countries at some point have screaming war dances before their athletic competitions..

You like the others are trying WAY to hard..But keep jamming that square peg into that round hole.

That's the thing about the internet..No matter how obvious something is someone will find a reason to argue.

SpanishACB
09-03-2014, 02:33 PM
Once again all countries play the national anthem and all have different people sing them..(...) before their athletic competitions..

This was my call for perspective:
They don't.

No country plays their national anthem before a national league game.

Being american yourself, you should be used to knowing you do plenty of things differently to the rest of the world, specially in sports, where in attempts to not copy things blatantly, you gave them a flip, like American football, or when you watched national anthems in the Olympics, you have your own interpretation, many times funny, so why doesn't this help you understand how it's awkward for non american people viewing or even playing in the playoffs? There's no reason to play an anthem in a national league game, at least, from a cultural and historical sports point of view, specially when you're not facing any international competition like there's no reason to call the NBA champs the world champions, but they're both terms crafted to create more hype, and you're free to buy into it, but don't try to justify it as it made any sort of sense other than generating fanboyism and money.

Most acapella singing is awkward unless it's something really good or a really good singer. Putting a kid to shout false notes on the USA anthem? Come on, how can you not realize it's awkward for anyone not feeling deeply patriot that day? I bet Manu and Tony, even Duncan, knew exactly where to put their hands and where to look while the music was playing. Yeeep.

oarabbus
09-03-2014, 02:43 PM
He posts that after saying perspective would do plenty good. Again eyes rolling..

Once again all countries play the national anthem and all have different people sing them..If you think that is as weird as a screaming war dance you are not very bright...Do all countries at some point have screaming war dances before their athletic competitions..

You like the others are trying WAY to hard..But keep jamming that square peg into that round hole.

That's the thing about the internet..No matter how obvious something is someone will find a reason to argue.

You are getting really worked up about this. As an American who has been to a handful of other countries, very rarely do other countries take the national anthem as seriously as we do here. It is pretty weird and "awkward" to them that we all (non service members included) stand at attention and salute/hand over our heart.

Have you ever been abroad and experienced another culture before? :oldlol:

boozehound
09-03-2014, 02:49 PM
the Haka is ****ing awesome. What was awkward about it? That the american players didnt know how to react?

stanlove1111
09-03-2014, 02:52 PM
This was my call for perspective:
They don't.

No country plays their national anthem before a national league game.

Being american yourself, you should be used to knowing you do plenty of things differently to the rest of the world, specially in sports, where in attempts to not copy things blatantly, you gave them a flip, like American football, or when you watched national anthems in the Olympics, you have your own interpretation, many times funny, so why doesn't this help you understand how it's awkward for non american people viewing or even playing in the playoffs? There's no reason to play an anthem in a national league game, at least, from a cultural and historical sports point of view, specially when you're not facing any international competition like there's no reason to call the NBA champs the world champions, but they're both terms crafted to create more hype, and you're free to buy into it, but don't try to justify it as it made any sort of sense other than generating fanboyism and money.

Most acapella singing is awkward unless it's something really good or a really good singer. Putting a kid to shout false notes on the USA anthem? Come on, how can you not realize it's awkward for anyone not feeling deeply patriot that day? I bet Manu and Tony, even Duncan, knew exactly where to put their hands and where to look while the music was playing. Yeeep.

Canada does before Canadian hockey games..And I bet I could find more example if I wanted to take the time.

Just what I thought. Only someone with an anti American bent would be goofdy to compare singing a national anthem ( which all countries are used to ) at an American event to a way dance and screaming, which nobody is used to.

The NBA champs are the world chanps and you know it. What a silly complaint..

If New Zeland wants to do this at their homes games at their country there is nothing awkward about it. Its their culture..When they do it internationally then its awkward and that's obvious..

SpanishACB
09-03-2014, 02:56 PM
Canada does before Canadian hockey games..And I bet I could find more example if I wanted to take the time.

brantonli
09-03-2014, 04:43 PM
I read your post and get your point. But I just know comparing that to a war dance which nobody ever does before a game is ridiculous..

You have sat through national anthems at sporting events before. The fact that the US does it at more vents then others is a reiculous reason to compare it to a war dance.

I suppose we'll have to disagree. Having seen NZ teams do the Hakka before rugby games before, I'm not surprised in the slightest (or find it ridiculous) that they do it for a basketball game too.

CavaliersFTW
09-03-2014, 05:17 PM
stanlove is having an absolute fit because he's experiencing culture shock and doesn't even know it :oldlol:

oarabbus
09-03-2014, 05:42 PM
stanlove is having an absolute fit because he's experiencing culture shock and doesn't even know it :oldlol:

I can only imagine how he'd react to seeing some Indian or rural Chinese rituals in person :roll:

ProfessorMurder
09-03-2014, 06:13 PM
If you dumb shits think the Haka is 'awkward' and 'stupid'... What is this?

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8nkvuJgAB1qzbbbgo1_400.gif

chips93
09-03-2014, 06:29 PM
the Haka is ****ing awesome. What was awkward about it? That the american players didnt know how to react?

its awesome in rugby, where the kiwis are a frighteningly good team, so the haka has its intended purpose, to intimidate. when you are a relative minnow, as new zealand are in basketball, its far less intimidating, and yeah, a little awkward.

MavsSuperFan
09-03-2014, 06:32 PM
Why would you do a war dance for a non-contact sport?
I mean at least rugby is violent

Im so nba'd out
09-03-2014, 06:33 PM
a smook thread getting 4000+ views....man this site took a hit http://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/dahell2.png

MavsSuperFan
09-03-2014, 06:34 PM
its awesome in rugby, where the kiwis are a frighteningly good team, so the haka has its intended purpose, to intimidate. when you are a relative minnow, as new zealand are in basketball, its far less intimidating, and yeah, a little awkward.
Its not only that the haka was a dance to prepare for battle.

Basketball is a non-contact sport.

Do NZ ping pong players do the haka before matches?

chips93
09-03-2014, 06:41 PM

yeah that too.

samoa, fiji, and tonga are pretty mediocre rugby teams, but it still doesnt seem awkward when they do their version of the haka before games where they are heavy underdogs, because its a contact sport.

boozehound
09-03-2014, 06:45 PM
and it was awesome when the Maori did it, even in the face of British military technology that could wipe them out and take their land. It's not about doing it before you dominate someone. its about having the balls to do it even when you are outmatched, outgunned and outmanned.

Pretty sure the Maori were in a worse spot to the brits than any silly sporting event.

stanlove1111
09-03-2014, 07:15 PM

I am not having a fit about anything. But I do know a stupid argument when I see it. Comparing a National Anthem to war dance and screaming at your opponent is just plain ignorant. Simple as that. And I don't care when the NA is played, point is everyone had them and they are all played.

Nobody else has war dances and screams at their opponent..

MavsSuperFan
09-03-2014, 07:15 PM
and it was awesome when the Maori did it, even in the face of British military technology that could wipe them out and take their land. It's not about doing it before you dominate someone. its about having the balls to do it even when you are outmatched, outgunned and outmanned.

Pretty sure the Maori were in a worse spot to the brits than any silly sporting event.
yes, the haka is a war dance. Its cool when you do it before a contact sport like rugby.

Basketball is a non-contact sport. it looks funny to do a war dance before a non-contact sport.

poido123
09-03-2014, 07:25 PM
yes, the haka is a war dance. Its cool when you do it before a contact sport like rugby.

Basketball is a non-contact sport. it looks funny to do a war dance before a non-contact sport.

You mean technically speaking? Or what basketball really is...I can tell you there's a lot of contact in basketball.

Ping Pong doing the Haka is laughable, but basketball I think is acceptable IMO

DCL
09-03-2014, 07:25 PM
drop the holier than thou PC stance.

you're more normal than abnormal if your head was going WTF during that entire WTF sequence. :lol

CavaliersFTW
09-03-2014, 07:35 PM

:roll:

Smook A.
09-03-2014, 07:42 PM
a smook thread getting 4000+ views....man this site took a hit http://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/dahell2.png
So shook. Your threads suck. Just look at their replies & views and you'll know...

oarabbus
09-03-2014, 07:50 PM

drop the holier than thou PC stance.

you're more normal than abnormal if your head was going WTF during that entire WTF sequence. :lol

:oldlol:

poido123
09-03-2014, 07:55 PM
Uhhh... what? It was absolutely not arrogant at all. They respectfully watched the ritual, and clapped afterwards. It was classy, the opposite of arrogant :facepalm

Compare that to Turkey who turned their backs and walked off, ignoring the NZ team. That is far more arrogant.

I mean how much can you read into face gestures?

I thought perhaps a little arrogant but then you point out Turkey and I see your point.

CavaliersFTW
09-03-2014, 07:58 PM

:oldlol:
Inb4 more sheltered culture shocked posters claim "It's okay cause it's USA/we won", "Everybody does it/It's normal.", "It's harmless/not aggressive", "What's wrong with celebration?" :oldlol:

Djsonny
09-03-2014, 08:00 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI851yJUQQw - yeah these guys look pretty crazy

9erempiree
09-03-2014, 08:03 PM

lol @ non-contact sport. It is a contact sport.

CavaliersFTW
09-03-2014, 08:04 PM

lol @ non-contact sport. It is a contact sport.
Makes me wonder if he's played before

Batz
09-03-2014, 09:43 PM

Comedy gold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqLt0-y1uyw