PDA

View Full Version : 1972 NBA in the FIBA

stanlove1111
09-03-2014, 01:50 PM
If you put the 1972 NBA all stars into the 2014 FIBA would the NBA win?

oarabbus
09-03-2014, 01:55 PM
no

Kblaze8855
09-03-2014, 02:13 PM
Kareem, Wilt, Cowens, Thurmond, Lanier, and Unseld would be a pretty absurd bigman rotation. Id keep Elvin Hayes off the team just to minimize the asshole factor.

Pistol Pete, Walt Frazier, Jerry West, and maybe Tiny as my guards? Throw in Gail Goodrich for extra shooting. Good scoring forwards to grab but id take the best defensive players I could between 6'5'' and 6'9'' to just limit any swingmen. Maybe Hondo to play it safe.

They would compete just off Kareem and Wilt. You start them together...tell them to shut down the lane. We would have to lose by people shooting 3s over Walt and West...which I find unlikely.

Id probably drop whatever bigman was worst in camp and grab an extra defensive swingman.

They would be fine.

I suspect Wilt and Kareem can handle the Gasols

Encre92
09-03-2014, 02:18 PM
no.

BoutPractice
09-03-2014, 02:22 PM
They probably would but anything is possible.

Not exactly comparable, I'm sure people in the future will scratch their heads wondering how a team coached by Larry Brown (fresh off a championship ring) that had two recent MVPs in Duncan and AI plus Amare, Marion, Marbury and Boozer as well as quasi sophomore DWade, LeBron and Melo, could lose at the Olympics.

spacebump
09-03-2014, 02:46 PM
Easily.

SHAQisGOAT
09-03-2014, 06:18 PM
People saying no?! :wtf: :facepalm

Frazier / Tiny
West / Pistol
Hondo / Bob Love
Haywood / Cunningham
Kareem / Wilt

They would've EASILY won it, even counting with today's USA team.

PG/SG duo is crazy on both ends, really good backups, center rotation would abuse any team on both sides, Hondo's a great SF, Cunningham and Love are more than legit enough.

Also had Cowens, Lou Hudson, Goodrich, Oscar, Hawkins, Unseld, Jo Jo......

LAZERUSS
09-03-2014, 07:42 PM
Don't forget the ABA, either. So, you can add in Barry, Dr. J, and Gilmore, too.

DatAsh
09-03-2014, 07:46 PM
Anything can happen on a per game basis, but generally, Kareem and Wilt would be too much for any other front line to handle. The defense from those 2 guys alone would be incredible.

They'd beat the current USA team in a 7 game series.

oarabbus
09-03-2014, 07:47 PM
They probably would but anything is possible.

Not exactly comparable, I'm sure people in the future will scratch their heads wondering how a team coached by Larry Brown (fresh off a championship ring) that had two recent MVPs in Duncan and AI plus Amare, Marion, Marbury and Boozer as well as quasi sophomore DWade, LeBron and Melo, could lose at the Olympics.

I'm honestly dumbfounded to this day. Shameful.

Rooster
09-03-2014, 08:10 PM
I'm honestly dumbfounded to this day. Shameful.

Even before the Olympic began and Reggie Miller was interviewed on the radio and someone asked why are we not killing those other team and Reggie was just laughing like you better aks somebody. And when someone told him about that 2004 roster, he flatly said we gonna lose and laughed because there were no shooter at all.