PDA

View Full Version : The 5 most overrated players in NBA history

Connor B
09-04-2014, 03:30 AM
All great players, but all universally lauded and no one ever talks about their short comings almost ever (likeable, classy players --- that's probably why, but that shouldn't inflate their place in history).

Reggie Miller, Jerry West, Dirk Nowitzki, Hakeem Olajuwon

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
09-04-2014, 03:33 AM
Alot of ppl were calling Dirk a career choker and players like Pau and Mchale better than him before 2011. Hes one of the most underrated players ever

Overrated-Magic, Duncan, Lebron, Nash, both Malones, Isiah, Hondo and Chuck

Id say Wilt but seems like everyone shits on him now besides the 60yos:lol :lol

moe94
09-04-2014, 03:37 AM
overrated - players that other people think are great but I don't particularly like

Marchesk
09-04-2014, 03:38 AM
overrated - players that other people think are great but I don't particularly like

This ^

Lebron is overrated as f*k.

Wilt is seriously underrated.

not serious

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
09-04-2014, 03:40 AM
:kobe: :kobe:
I like Magic, Moses and Isiah. Theyre fanboys are nuts

Seems like nikkas think Magic is the unanimous top 2 and much better than Bird when they were playing everyone had Bird as way better until his back started to get fcke dup

Moses has the MVPs in a weak era and the stats but he was a statpadder
Isiah just wasnt as good as many nostalgic ppl think he was

BoutPractice
09-04-2014, 03:41 AM
All great players, but all universally lauded and no one ever talks about their short comings almost ever (likeable, classy players --- that's probably why, but that shouldn't inflate their place in history).

classy players

Reggie Miller

:eek:

pauk
09-04-2014, 06:04 AM
How is Reggie Miller overrated? I think you are confusing respected or appreciated with overrated....

FPJ
09-04-2014, 06:10 AM
Reggie, Kobe (worst case of overrated), Barkley, Rondo (no one said he was great but he's still worse than most people give him credit) and Chris Webber. Im only mentioning players i saw playing. There could be other i forgot.

pauk
09-04-2014, 06:16 AM
Reggie, Kobe (worst case of overrated), Barkley, Rondo (no one said he was great but he's still worse than most people give him credit) and Chris Webber. Im only mentioning players i saw playing. There could be other i forgot.

Again, can someone please explain? How is he overrated?

He was one of the most entertaining characters & coldblooded competitors out there, one of the best clutch players (dont be surprised if he has hit the most gamewinners in nba history) & shooters ever (if not the best) and easily the best of-the-ball player ever (he had a ridicilous bag of tricks there, it was freakin educational, ask Rip Hamilton & Ray Allen), he showed what consistency is about, what work ethic & longevity is about, what loyalness is about, did this on the same team for 18 straight years, every game, never went to ringchase no matter how bad it got or how bad other teams begged for him (even after his retirement).... he simply left us with way to many great memories & performances to ignore... and retired the way any player only dream of.... did you see his last game? Not even Michael Jordan recieved that type emotion from the crowd, his teammates and even the opposing team (who took a timeout just to go out there and clap midcourt)....

As far as a basketball player he is rated exactly where he should be rated, most dont have him as a top 50 player ever or something... he is APPRECIATED, not overrated....

FPJ
09-04-2014, 06:35 AM

He was one of the most entertaining characters & coldblooded competitors out there, one of the best clutch players & shooters ever (if not the best) and easily the best of-the-ball player ever (he had a ridicilous bag of tricks there), he showed what consistency is about, what work ethic & longevity is about, what loyalness is about, did this on the same team for 18 straight years, every game, never went to ringchase no matter how bad it got or how bad other teams begged for him (even after his retirement).... he simply left us with way to many great memories & performances to ignore... and retired the way any player only dream of.... did you see his last game? Not even Michael Jordan recieved that type emotion from the crowd, his teammates and even the opposing team (who took a timeout just to go out there and clap midcourt)....

As far as a basketball player he is rated exactly where he should be rated, most dont have him as a top 50 player ever or something... he is APPRECIATED, not overrated....

No offense but have you seen him play in more than 20 games?

You mention shooting...yes, he could shoot, mostly off the screen but he could shoot. Ridiculous bag of tricks off the ball? Really?

Consistency? Reggie Miller? :wtf:

Basically, all you have for an argument is shooting and whatever emotions you had while watching him play a game.

What do you have to say about his defense? I'll tell you, sub par. His assists? 3 a game with 1.7 turnovers. 0.2 blocks at 6.7/game. Rebounds? lol. Monta Ellis has more rebs.

knicksman
09-04-2014, 06:49 AM
usually score first pgs..
Oscar-considered top 15 yet no ring as the man. LOL
Bran-considered top 10 player yet dirk has higher impact than him. Dirk could have the same rings as him if not for dwhistle. And still dirks 1 ring has more value than 2 cheated rings. 2 mvps already without a ring while magic has 2 only despite having 5 rings
Iverson-won an mvp yet have only 1 50+ win team throughout his career. Miller had multiple 50+ win team at a time when east was the better conference.
Rose-had 1 mvp too yet his team has the same win % with him missing almost half a season
WEstbrook-this guy is considered top 5 yet his team performed worse with him in the lineup.

pauk
09-04-2014, 06:51 AM
FPJ, just like the OP you are confusing appreciation with being overrated, you are are talking about player talent/skill, i am talking about him being appreciated & why he was that.... nobody is overrating his talent/skill.... but even then, you have to remember that there is some intangibles stats can measure....

Reggie43
09-04-2014, 07:03 AM
No offense but have you seen him play in more than 20 games?

You mention shooting...yes, he could shoot, mostly off the screen but he could shoot. Ridiculous bag of tricks off the ball? Really?

Consistency? Reggie Miller? :wtf:

Basically, all you have for an argument is shooting and whatever emotions you had while watching him play a game.

What do you have to say about his defense? I'll tell you, sub par. His assists? 3 a game with 1.7 turnovers. 0.2 blocks at 6.7/game. Rebounds? lol. Monta Ellis has more rebs.

One of the few skills that he had that most people consider him one of the best ever at doing and you decide to question that? Shows how much of his game that you know outside of looking at his stats off the internet.

JohnFreeman
09-04-2014, 07:04 AM
West and Chamberlain

FPJ
09-04-2014, 07:38 AM
One of the few skills that he had that most people consider him one of the best ever at doing and you decide to question that? Shows how much of his game that you know outside of looking at his stats off the internet.

Why dont you tell me about all these offensive moves Reggie had? :oldlol: (that werent coming of screens, that is).

AirFederer
09-04-2014, 07:42 AM
Kobe, Wilt, Karl Malone, AI, T-Mac

Reggie43
09-04-2014, 07:42 AM
Why dont you tell me about all these offensive moves Reggie had? :oldlol: (that werent coming of screens, that is).

Was talking about off the ball movement which you discredited, which I conveniently bolded for you to see.

pauk
09-04-2014, 07:54 AM
FPJ was probably one of these guys in the crowd:

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/nbacardDOTnet/zz%20NBA%20Photo%20Gallery/0%20Big%20Shot%20n%20Buzzer%20Beater/EBA088ECA780EC9C84EB8B9DEC83B7copy.jpg

See those reactions from every single fan there? That happened soon as he got the ball, in the clutch, in playoffs..... everybody know exactly what will happen......... thats no ordinary guy.... thats a killer, thats the greatest shooter of all time especially when it matters....

jayfan
09-04-2014, 08:02 AM

Um... that's 4.

FPJ
09-04-2014, 08:21 AM
Was talking about off the ball movement which you discredited, which I conveniently bolded for you to see.

Was hoping there was more to your point, you basically agree with me. I never questioned his shooting, but coming of screens isnt exactly what i would call a bag of tricks.

Pauk, calling a player overrated doesnt mean you hate him, it means you analyze the player's actual skills vs his perceived skills. I dont hate Kobe, for example, but imo he's the most overrated superstar. That doesn't mean he sucks or is less important to his team or fans.

Real Men Wear Green
09-04-2014, 08:28 AM

What are the shortcomings of Olajuwon and West?

Paul George 24
09-04-2014, 08:35 AM

lebron james,kobe bryant,blake griffin,vince carter,kelvin love :rockon:

miles berg
09-04-2014, 09:07 AM
Kobe Bryant
Allen Iverson
Dennis Johnson
Sugar Ray Richardson
Tony Parker

r15mohd
09-04-2014, 09:20 AM
Was hoping there was more to your point, you basically agree with me. I never questioned his shooting, but coming of screens isnt exactly what i would call a bag of tricks.

Pauk, calling a player overrated doesnt mean you hate him, it means you analyze the player's actual skills vs his perceived skills. I dont hate Kobe, for example, but imo he's the most overrated superstar. That doesn't mean he sucks or is less important to his team or fans.

the thing is, it doesn't have to be "bag of tricks" as Reggie was arguably one of the best off ball players and user of the screen we've seen to date. no one could keep up with his constant moving around the court to free himself for that killer jumper he had.

that reason alone solidifies his stature...that led them consistently in the East for many years, even got them to a Finals run. ranking deserved IMO.

JohnFreeman
09-04-2014, 09:27 AM
Hakeem is not overrated.

fpliii
09-04-2014, 09:36 AM
Hakeem is not overrated.
This. Hakeem (or possibly KG) is the most underrated player on ISH.

dubeta
09-04-2014, 09:36 AM
You can make a case for a lot of players, especially the GOATs whos flaws we forget

Magic 'Tragic" Johnsons finals chokes that we forget, and the fact that he had a loaded team

Bird only played 10 years and sucked at defense plus only a 24 ppg scorer

Russell was a 15ppg scorer in a fast era

Wilt was 2/6 and only has 1 FMVP, went from 30ppg in the regular season to 18 in the finals

Kareem only has 2 FMVP's to 6rings

Theres 5 right there who you can easily make a case for overrated

L.Kizzle
09-04-2014, 09:41 AM
Kevin McHale

ImKobe
09-04-2014, 09:44 AM

Putting Kobe & Wilt in the same tier with those career losers :rolleyes:

Marchesk
09-04-2014, 09:47 AM
This. Hakeem (or possibly KG) is the most underrated player on ISH.

People forget that the Rockets were contenders early on, but injuries hampered Sampson's career.

hahaitme
09-04-2014, 09:55 AM
I can agree with Jerry West but dont see how others are overrated

fpliii
09-04-2014, 09:56 AM
The OP intentionally chose four players who all got better (in terms of box score stats) in the playoffs.

Marchesk
09-04-2014, 10:06 AM

How is West overrated? He certainly didn't under perform in the playoffs. He was a 47.4% shooter in a fast pace era from the SG position. And in his last season, when they first recorded steals and blocks, he had 2.7 and 0.6.

That's pretty good for a 35 year old.

Reggie43
09-04-2014, 10:44 AM

Your original post which I quoted showed me enough of your "knowledge" of Miller's game so no need to discuss it further.

longhornfan1234
09-04-2014, 11:10 AM
Oscar
Gervin
Karl
Hayes

Real14
09-04-2014, 11:15 AM
1. Lebron

2. Duncan

3. Hakeem

4. Wade

5. CP3

Might change my list later...

Real14
09-04-2014, 11:17 AM
:coleman:

FatComputerNerd
09-04-2014, 11:17 AM
Chauncey Billups

Jermaine Oneil

-sry could only think of two

Bigsmoke
09-04-2014, 11:33 AM
Bill Walton is considered a top 50 playing while scoring 6,000 career points

HOoopCityJones
09-04-2014, 12:42 PM
Chris Paul, Steve Nash, Dwade

Nowitness
09-04-2014, 12:51 PM
1. Lebron

2. Duncan

3. Hakeem

4. Wade

5. Durant

Might change my list later...

top 4 stays killing the knicks. :bowdown:

SouBeachTalents
09-04-2014, 01:22 PM
You can make a case for a lot of players, especially the GOATs whos flaws we forget

Magic 'Tragic" Johnsons finals chokes that we forget, and the fact that he had a loaded team

Bird only played 10 years and sucked at defense plus only a 24 ppg scorer

Russell was a 15ppg scorer in a fast era

Wilt was 2/6 and only has 1 FMVP, went from 30ppg in the regular season to 18 in the finals

Kareem only has 2 FMVP's to 6rings

Theres 5 right there who you can easily make a case for overrated

Magic- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FuYJ1U2YZ8

Bird- Made three All-Defensive teams, significantly better rebounder than LeBron

Russell- Arguably the greatest defensive player in NBA history, 5 MVP's, would have had a shit ton of Finals MVP's & DPOY had they been awarded in his era. Oh yeah, and 11 rings

Wilt- Arguably the most dominant player in NBA history, would have 2 Finals MVP's if they were around for his first title. Oh yeah, and LeBron is 2/5 himself, and NEVER had to play a team as good as the 60's Celtics

Kareem- 6 MVP's, would have won multiple DPOY if the award were around in the 70's

Lol, I wonder why you choose the 5 players that are almost always unanimously picked immediately after Jordan

T_L_P
09-04-2014, 01:28 PM
Magic- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FuYJ1U2YZ8

Bird- Made three All-Defensive teams, significantly better rebounder than LeBron

Russell- Arguably the greatest defensive player in NBA history, 5 MVP's, would have had a shit ton of Finals MVP's & DPOY had they been awarded in his era. Oh yeah, and 11 rings

Wilt- Arguably the most dominant player in NBA history, would have 2 Finals MVP's if they were around for his first title. Oh yeah, and LeBron is 2/5 himself, and NEVER had to play a team as good as the 60's Celtics

Kareem- 6 MVP's, would have won multiple DPOY if the award were around in the 70's

Lol, I wonder why you choose the 5 players that are almost always unanimously picked immediately after Jordan

:applause:

Though I'm not so sure about Kareem winning DPOY's. Maybe because there wasn't as much competition, but he was never really an incredible defender (read: top 3 defender) imo.

Agree with everything else though.

FPJ
09-04-2014, 01:28 PM
Your original post which I quoted showed me enough of your "knowledge" of Miller's game so no need to discuss it further.

Im not sure how this is confusing to you.

I said "other than shooting in general (of screens included) he didnt do much (like defense, assists, rebounds or blocks).

You said he was one of the best shooting off the screen (implying his off the ball game was elite). I didn't deny it, i just said it can't be called a "bag of tricks".

You made no arguement whatsoever about anything. You just denied my "knowledge" about Reggie while agreeing with what i said, which is rather stupid.

You need to learn how to have a conversation.

hawke812
09-04-2014, 01:30 PM
In no particular order:

1. Michael Jordan
2. Michael Jordan
3. Michael Jordan
4. Michael Jordan
5a. Michael Jordan
5b. Michael Jordan

SouBeachTalents
09-04-2014, 01:34 PM
:applause:

Though I'm not so sure about Kareem winning DPOY's. Maybe because there wasn't as much competition, but he was never really an incredible defender (read: top 3 defender) imo.

Agree with everything else though.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=190992

I was going primarily off of this list, but who know's, you could be right as well

MiseryCityTexas
09-04-2014, 01:35 PM
top 4 stays killing the knicks. :bowdown:

Might as well say all 5 because Durant has shut Madison square Garden down in the past also. :oldlol:

Reggie43
09-04-2014, 02:13 PM
Im not sure how this is confusing to you.

I said "other than shooting in general (of screens included) he didnt do much (like defense, assists, rebounds or blocks).

You said he was one of the best shooting off the screen (implying his off the ball game was elite). I didn't deny it, i just said it can't be called a "bag of tricks".

You made no arguement whatsoever about anything. You just denied my "knowledge" about Reggie while agreeing with what i said, which is rather stupid.

You need to learn how to have a conversation.

I've never agreed with what you said but I disputed this "Ridiculous bag of tricks off the ball? Really?"
By saying that you are questioning that he was a great off the ball player.
Those "off the ball bag of tricks" you are downplaying even frustrated the great Kobe Bryant prompting him to call him as "the hardest player he ever had to guard" Heck even at age 39 Miller actually scored 39 points on Kobe on their last game against each other which was the highest point total on their personal head to head matchups.

Here's another "Consistency? Reggie Miller? :wtf: "
Do you even know what consistency means? He played consistently on an Allstar level for probably 12-13 years out of his 19 year career with a ton of playoff appearances and deep playoff runs.

He was never a good all around player but his defense in his prime was far from "subpar". He was even a good enough defender to get a mention from Jordan as one of the players he hates to face because of "dirty" defensive tactics that frustrated even the greatest of all time.

He had various offensive moves like a face up game using jab steps and a quick first step to go by his man or shoot, stepback jumper, floaters, runners etc that he used more often when he was younger when they played a different style of offense. You don't average close to 25 ppg. while shooting better than 51% by relying only on off the ball movement and shooting.

kennethgriffin
09-04-2014, 02:19 PM

He was one of the most entertaining characters & coldblooded competitors out there, one of the best clutch players (dont be surprised if he has hit the most gamewinners in nba history) & shooters ever (if not the best) and easily the best of-the-ball player ever (he had a ridicilous bag of tricks there, it was freakin educational, ask Rip Hamilton & Ray Allen), he showed what consistency is about, what work ethic & longevity is about, what loyalness is about, did this on the same team for 18 straight years, every game, never went to ringchase no matter how bad it got or how bad other teams begged for him (even after his retirement).... he simply left us with way to many great memories & performances to ignore... and retired the way any player only dream of.... did you see his last game? Not even Michael Jordan recieved that type emotion from the crowd, his teammates and even the opposing team (who took a timeout just to go out there and clap midcourt)....

i think reggie isnt overrated as far as the all time list goes

its just that when people talk about jordans biggest competition. or toughest SG that he battled during his era

people say "reggie miller"

its not reggies fault the 90's sucked

Real14
09-04-2014, 02:48 PM
I updated my top 5 most overrated folks.
At number five I replace Durant with CP3.

Real14
09-04-2014, 02:50 PM
FPJ was probably one of these guys in the crowd:

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/nbacardDOTnet/zz%20NBA%20Photo%20Gallery/0%20Big%20Shot%20n%20Buzzer%20Beater/EBA088ECA780EC9C84EB8B9DEC83B7copy.jpg

See those reactions from every single fan there? That happened soon as he got the ball, in the clutch, in playoffs..... everybody know exactly what will happen......... thats no ordinary guy.... thats a killer, thats the greatest shooter of all time especially when it matters....
90s knicks finals- twice

Miller finals- once:applause:

Real14
09-04-2014, 02:51 PM
Hakeem is not overrated.
:oldlol: