PDA

View Full Version : Kobe vs The Admiral

sportjames23
09-04-2014, 06:58 AM
Knowing how both players turned out in their careers, who do you take when building your team?

Do you go the standard way and build around a big man, even if you know he wasn't seen as effective in the playoffs as he was in the regular season.

Do you take the wing player, even if you know he can shoot your team out of games and he's not gonna have Shaq to carry him and he'll rape white girls during the regular season

Who do you go with?

stalkerforlife
09-04-2014, 07:01 AM
:biggums:

JohnFreeman
09-04-2014, 07:03 AM
Tough question

Warfan
09-04-2014, 07:03 AM
Well neither were the best player on the team for their rings, this is a tough one...

NZStreetBaller
09-04-2014, 07:06 AM
Dont take this wrong i promise im not trying to prop up kobe but whos the admiral???

stalkerforlife
09-04-2014, 07:07 AM
Dont take this wrong i promise im not trying to prop up kobe but whos the admiral???

:roll:

sportjames23
09-04-2014, 07:07 AM

My bad. The Admiral is David Robinson. Since he was drafted out of the Naval Academy, his nickname was The Admiral.

NZStreetBaller
09-04-2014, 07:13 AM
My bad. The Admiral is David Robinson. Since he was drafted out of the Naval Academy, his nickname was The Admiral.

Oh right was he that dude that played in the spurs when duncan was young ???

career stats?

I cant be bothered searching

sportjames23
09-04-2014, 07:15 AM
Oh right was he that dude that played in the spurs when duncan was young ???

career stats?

I cant be bothered searching

http://basketballreference.com/players/playerpage.htm?ilkid=ROBINDA01

NZStreetBaller
09-04-2014, 07:23 AM
My heart says kobe.
and this proves Kobe
http://www.landofbasketball.com/player_comparison/b/kobe_bryant_vs_david_robinson.htm

/thread

NZStreetBaller
09-04-2014, 07:27 AM
I mean i didnt even know who the admiral was. I had heard of robinson when people say that duncan won his first ring because of robinson. but he aint even impressive when compared to kobe. if anything you just made the guy look bad.

Its like saying who would you call to save you falling from a building mermaid man or superman. its so obvious its not even funny

stalkerforlife
09-04-2014, 07:29 AM
I mean i didnt even know who the admiral was. I had heard of robinson when people say that duncan won his first ring because of robinson. but he aint even impressive when compared to kobe. if anything you just made the guy look bad.

Its like saying who would you call to save you falling from a building mermaid man or superman. its so obvious its not even funny

3peated
09-04-2014, 07:30 AM
the admiral scored 71 or something as a big, he was an animal.

NZStreetBaller
09-04-2014, 07:39 AM
the admiral scored 71 or something as a big, he was an animal.

71??? oh thats lovely but seriously no player that has 2 rings can even be in the kobe conversation.

stalkerforlife
09-04-2014, 07:41 AM
71??? oh thats lovely but seriously no player that has 2 rings can even be in the kobe conversation.

Check his numbers on those title teams. :roll:

T_L_P
09-04-2014, 07:47 AM

An NBA fan not knowing of D. Rob is bad enough. But a fan dedicated enough to sign up to a forum?

Also, FYI, Duncan didn't win his first because of D. Rob. Robinson was better than Duncan in his rookie year, but not when they won their first (he won two with Duncan).

--

I pick Kobe. That's mainly because of longevity. If I had to take their best ten years, I'd have to really think.

NZStreetBaller
09-04-2014, 07:48 AM
Check his numbers on those title teams. :roll:

Just did.... GODDAYUM!! was this a legit thread or a weak backfired troll attempt??

NZStreetBaller
09-04-2014, 07:51 AM

An NBA fan not knowing of D. Rob is bad enough. But a fan dedicated enough to sign up to a forum?

Also, FYI, Duncan didn't win his first because of D. Rob. Robinson was better than Duncan in his rookie year, but not when they won their first (he won two with Duncan).

--

I pick Kobe. That's mainly because of longevity. If I had to take their best ten years, I'd have to really think.

I know right??? I had heard of him in the duncan conversations just the last name though. I joined up to this forum because I love NBA and none of my friends really get into it or want to talk about it so yeah that was my sign up motive.

stalkerforlife
09-04-2014, 07:54 AM
Just did.... GODDAYUM!! was this a legit thread or a weak backfired troll attempt??

Thread backfired heavily on the OP.

Get out the sprinklers.

Warfan
09-04-2014, 07:55 AM

:facepalm U don't even know who drob is, so I'm guessing you started watching the league very recently...u really have no reason to be posting stuff like this...

NZStreetBaller
09-04-2014, 08:01 AM
:facepalm U don't even know who drob is, so I'm guessing you started watching the league very recently...u really have no reason to be posting stuff like this...

why not.... lol I checked the stats between the two. and judging by the way players are judged on this site stats are very important to you people. If this D rob really has a case against kobe prove it.

I know who walt frazier is. oscar robinson. jerry west. elgin baylor.

Warfan
09-04-2014, 08:17 AM
why not.... lol I checked the stats between the two. and judging by the way players are judged on this site stats are very important to you people. If this D rob really has a case against kobe prove it.

Did u even read the OP? It's not who's higher all-time, no one is going to argue that. It's who you would take to build your team around. I'd probably agree with T_L_P

Drob was an all-time great defender, won a mvp and dpoy and was a perrenial mvp and dpoy candidate. Im guessing you just looked at his stats when he won w/ Duncan when he was 34 and 37 which is why you think the stats favor kobe so much....During his prime he was putting up something like 25/12/3/3 w/ elite defense, a great player. But there are legiit criticisms of him, eg overall he didnt always play up to par in the playoffs.

ImKobe
09-04-2014, 08:17 AM
Guy was a ****ing loser. Got embarrassed by an old Hakeem the year he won the MVP and faced the Rockets in the WCF. Piggybacked Duncan to 2 rings.

NZStreetBaller
09-04-2014, 08:23 AM
Guy was a ****ing loser. Got embarrassed by an old Hakeem the year he won the MVP and faced the Rockets in the WCF. Piggybacked Duncan to 2 rings.

im rolling with this guy.....

NZStreetBaller
09-04-2014, 08:25 AM
Did u even read the OP? It's not who's higher all-time, no one is going to argue that. It's who you would take to build your team around. I'd probably agree with T_L_P

So ..... wouldn't you want to build around the better player then??

dubeta
09-04-2014, 08:31 AM
Its obviously Robinson

Kobe is basically a negative on your team with his egotistical attitude, cancer in the locker room, low percentage chucking, and lack of defense, basically 90% of players would be more effective in winning games.

Gimme Robinson any day of the week

ImKobe
09-04-2014, 08:32 AM
Its obviously Robinson

Kobe is basically a negative on your team with his egotistical attitude, cancer in the locker room, low percentage chucking, and lack of defense, basically 90% of players would be more effective in winning games.

ignore listed, no one should bother reading this idiot's posts.

stalkerforlife
09-04-2014, 08:32 AM
Its obviously Robinson

Rent free.

dubeta
09-04-2014, 08:34 AM
ignore listed, no one should bother reading this idiot's posts.

Ignoring it isnt gonna make it any less true, keep thinking Bean is top 10 :oldlol:

Warfan
09-04-2014, 08:35 AM
So ..... wouldn't you want to build around the better player then??

Uh...i said id probably pick kobe. Read my post again. Just showing that you're misinformed, since you concluded that this was a troll thread because you saw drob's stats from his mid-late 30's...

Bigs are usually more valuable then perimeter players, especially one that can play at an elite level on both ends of the floor like drob. Im imagining what he'd do to the garbage ass bigs today :roll:

NZStreetBaller
09-04-2014, 08:41 AM
Ignoring it isnt gonna make it any less true, keep thinking Bean is top 10 :oldlol:

ignoring fapping isnt going to makie it any bigger, keep thinking its 6 inches:oldlol:

stalkerforlife
09-04-2014, 08:49 AM
ignoring fapping isnt going to makie it any bigger, keep thinking its 6 inches:oldlol:

/thread

ralph_i_el
09-04-2014, 01:40 PM

Drob had maybe the greatest statistical season for a center. Plus the Dpoy.

Most athletic C I've ever seen. Ran the floor like a 3, too strong and too quick for bigs to handle. Decent jumpshot too.

I'm taking Drob on my team over Kobe any day of the week. Plus he went to my high school.

Just imagine Anthony Davis, but stronger and probably quicker.

SwayDizzle
09-04-2014, 02:07 PM
/thread

kennethgriffin
09-04-2014, 02:13 PM
http://i57.tinypic.com/vgo4f9.jpg

he must be refering to james T Kirk

in one or two movies i believe he was the rank of admiral

HurricaneKid
09-04-2014, 02:21 PM
Robinson led the league in RAPM 8 times in 9 years (90-99. The one year he didn't was the year he got hurt and the team went from 59 wins to 20 and won the lotto and got Tim Duncan). LOL at DRob getting carried by rookie TD to a title. He led the NBA in RAPM that year.

Kobe Bryant has never been in the top 5 in RAPM.

This is NOT a no-brainer. If it is its not for Kobe...

And LOL at anyone who doesn't know who the Admiral is. He had some struggles in the playoffs but he was definitively an all-time great. He would be a GOD in today's game.

tpols
09-04-2014, 02:22 PM
Drob will get dominated in the playoffs by any opposing players with even an ounce of closing ability.

Like garnett but with an even bigger presdisposition for not closing games and much less toughness.

DJ Leon Smith
09-04-2014, 02:28 PM

Jeff close this thread and ban this guy or you lose all respect.

tpols
09-04-2014, 02:40 PM
Robinson led the league in RAPM 8 times in 9 years (90-99. The one year he didn't was the year he got hurt and the team went from 59 wins to 20 and won the lotto and got Tim Duncan). LOL at DRob getting carried by rookie TD to a title. He led the NBA in RAPM that year.
Drob 90-99

56 win team.. second round loss
55 win team.. first round loss
47 win team.. first round loss(sweep)
49 win team.. first round loss
55 win team.. first round loss(sweep)
62 win team.. embarrassingly gets destroyed by Hakeem in WCF with HCA
59 win team.. second round loss

For 99.. in the year he wasnt carried by Duncan.. TD averages 27/14 to Robinsons 16/12 in the Finals:facepalm Same big disparity in total playoff averages as well. He was a second option by a huge margin.

Drob's like the CP3 of centers.. but even less closing ability.

SouBeachTalents
09-04-2014, 02:45 PM
Drob 90-99

For 99.. in the year he wasnt carried by Duncan.. TD averages 27/14 to Robinsons 16/12 in the Finals:facepalm Same big disparity in total playoff averages as well. He was a second option by a huge margin.

Check out his 3 playoff series against the Jazz

1994: 20 & 10 on 41%
1996: 19 & 9 on 48%
1998: 19 & 13 on 40%

tpols
09-04-2014, 02:47 PM
Check out his 3 playoff series against the Jazz

1994: 20 & 10 on 41%
1996: 19 & 9 on 48%
1998: 19 & 13 on 40%

But his regular season rapm was astronomical :rolleyes:

When are people gonna realize context counts.. performing at certain moments mean way more than others.

HurricaneKid
09-04-2014, 04:31 PM
Drob 90-99

Before TD who was his best teammate? Sean Elliott? The bulk of these guys that struggle in the playoffs do so because when a team can dedicate the entirety of their defense to stop 1 guy its not that tough to do.

He carried teams to 62 and 59 wins. The next year he misses the season and they win 20 games. His impact was enormous.

And yes, I already granted you that he had his share of playoff failures.

A second option with the best RAPM in the NBA. No wonder they won a title...

NZStreetBaller
09-04-2014, 04:32 PM
Jeff close this thread and ban this guy or you lose all respect.

what will jeff do without your respect?:rolleyes:

riseagainst
09-04-2014, 04:35 PM
DRob is another regular season warrior, like Wilt. But in the playoffs, they disappear.

Rake2204
09-04-2014, 04:48 PM
Drob 90-99

When are people gonna realize context counts.. performing at certain moments mean way more than others.Stepping away from a direct Kobe & David comparison, I would like to address the idea of context. I would agree that it is important. However, I would argue that posting a team's regular season win totals next to a team's playoff result may be severely lacking in context in regards to an individual player, for better or worse.

For instance, drawing a conclusion on David Robinson's playoff performance as a rookie in 1990 simply as "56 wins, 2nd round loss" tells us virtually nothing about Robinson as a performer. His team's run could also be described as a hard fought, seven game loss to the eventual NBA Finalist Portland Trail Blazers. Robinson averaged 24 points (on 53% shooting), 12 rebounds, and 4 blocks per game during his inaugural playoffs run. That his team could not emerge as NBA champions goes much deeper than a lack of one's performance.

On the other side, Robinson's failings also run deeper than simply quoting his worst series numbers and his team's results. Context is the same notion that allows us to look deeper than just broadly stating "Kobe Bryant, NBA Champion" while also accounting for his teammate's impressive play (Pau Gasol) even when Bryant himself faltered (ex: 2010 NBA Finals).

dreamwarrior
09-04-2014, 04:55 PM
I'll take Robinson. He was a great defender and a really good scorer. His problem was a lack of fire. Playing in SA didn't do him any good. They were successful but nobody taught him that tenacious desire to win when it mattered. If he had a better coach he'd be able to put up Shaq numbers. Combined with his D he'd be the best player in the game.

TheMarkMadsen
09-04-2014, 05:08 PM
More proof that on ISH everybody>> Kobe

D rob is continuously ridiculed on ISH.. until of course he's compared to Kobe

:lol :lol

Big#50
09-04-2014, 05:18 PM
DROB as a second option with no pressure on him to lead is probably the GOAT. He was ****ing amazing but he was too nice and lacked that fire that KOBE has. He was not competitive at all. All that would change if he had an alpha on his team. Were talking prime here not past prime.
Kobe had the competitive drive but at times he failed bad. Sometimes it was a detriment. He should have taken a back seat at times.

KOBE for what we know.
DROB in the right team and it isn't even close really.

CavaliersFTW
09-04-2014, 05:25 PM
Actually Wilt has two rings and he takes a MASSIVE shit on Kobe's career, how many records does Kobe have again? How many does Wilt have, that aren't even CLOSE to being touched!? Wilt has accuracy records... Kobe has INaccuracy records :roll:

ImKobe
09-04-2014, 05:27 PM
Actually Wilt has two rings and he takes a MASSIVE shit on Kobe's career, how many records does Kobe have again? How many does Wilt have, that aren't even CLOSE to being touched!? Wilt has accuracy records... Kobe has INaccuracy records :roll:

Wilt is stone-age bro, and 2 rings for his entire career after breaking so many records in the Regular Season, choking away so many Finals games? :roll: :roll:

Kobe's accolades shit on Wilt's. Now move along, old man.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
09-04-2014, 05:31 PM
The one who doesnt shrivel and turn into a pussea in the playoffs
Kobes ability to take pressure and thrive is what made him a legend
DRobs inability to take pressure is what made ppl call his legacy of him being a nice/honorable man

rlsmooth775
09-04-2014, 05:34 PM
Kobes ability to take pressure and thrive is what made him a legend
DRobs inability to take pressure is what made ppl call his legacy of him being a nice/honorable man

Kobe is overrated to man

HurricaneKid
09-04-2014, 05:41 PM

Robinson - Playoffs .199 WS/48

Kobe - Playoffs - .157 WS/48

I thought he was going to say Kobe :confusedshrug:

SouBeachTalents
09-04-2014, 05:46 PM
Wilt is stone-age bro, and 2 rings for his entire career after breaking so many records in the Regular Season, choking away so many Finals games? :roll: :roll:

Kobe's accolades shit on Wilt's. Now move along, old man.

Granted, a lot of Wilt's are speculated since awards/accolades like Finals MVP & DPOY didn't exist in most/all of his era, but I don't think the projections are outrageously far off

Kobe- 1 MVP, 2 Finals MVP's, 15 All-NBA selections, 12 All-Defensive selections

Wilt- 4 MVP's, 2 Finals MVP's, 4 DPOY's, 10 All-NBA selections, 11 All-Defensive selections

GrapeApe
09-04-2014, 05:48 PM
D-Rob was / is just too damn nice of a guy. If he had a nasty streak he'd be a top 10 all time player. He's a top 10 all time talent. Great skills, freakish athleticism, monster defensively.

dubeta
09-04-2014, 05:48 PM
Can you imagine what prime Shaq and D rob couldve done together?? :eek: :bowdown:

TheMarkMadsen
09-04-2014, 05:51 PM
Granted, a lot of Wilt's are speculated since awards/accolades like Finals MVP & DPOY didn't exist in most/all of his era, but I don't think the projections are outrageously far off

Kobe- 1 MVP, 2 Finals MVP's, 15 All-NBA selections, 12 All-Defensive selections

Wilt- 4 MVP's, 2 Finals MVP's, 4 DPOY's, 10 All-NBA selections, 11 All-Defensive selections

You forgot about 5 rings vs 2

And wilt doesn't have 2 FMVPS..

Especially considering Kobes lowest playoff ppg average during a championship run would basically tie with wilts highest ppg during a championship run..

Kobe has 4 championship runs averaging more ppg than wilt ever did during a championship run..

Wilt never even cracked 20ppg in a finals ffs

ImKobe
09-04-2014, 05:54 PM

Especially considering Kobes lowest playoff ppg average during a championship run would basically tie with wilts highest ppg during a championship run..

Kobe has 4 championship runs averaging more ppg than wilt ever did during a championship run..

Wilt "wilted" under pressure. This is well documented. How many Finals games this nikka cost his teams by missing FTs?

Nikka probably thinks Wilt would average 50 ppg in the modern era :facepalm

dubeta
09-04-2014, 05:58 PM
Wilt's 50% FMVP ratio is higher than Kobe's 40% ratio

and Wilt career averages of 30 and 20 dwarfs Kobe's 25, 5, 5

How is this a debate?

SouBeachTalents
09-04-2014, 06:00 PM

And wilt doesn't have 2 FMVPS..

He would have won Finals MVP in '67 had they handed the award out then, so he would have had 2.

TheMarkMadsen
09-04-2014, 06:13 PM
He would have won Finals MVP in '67 had they handed the award out then, so he would have had 2.

Wilt was the 5th leading scorer on his team and shot 31% from the line..

SouBeachTalents
09-04-2014, 06:29 PM
Wilt was the 5th leading scorer on his team and shot 31% from the line..

He averaged 18, 29, 7 on 56%. None of his teammates that outscored him shot better than 46%. I assume by this logic you don't believe Russell would have won any Finals MVP's since he wasn't the teams leading scorer?

stalkerforlife
09-04-2014, 09:25 PM
Robinson - Playoffs .199 WS/48

Kobe - Playoffs - .157 WS/48

I thought he was going to say Kobe :confusedshrug:

Then why was Kobe such a better winner? :lol

Geeks and their stats. :facepalm

stalkerforlife
09-04-2014, 09:28 PM

Kobe Bryant has never been in the top 5 in RAPM.

This is NOT a no-brainer. If it is its not for Kobe...

And LOL at anyone who doesn't know who the Admiral is. He had some struggles in the playoffs but he was definitively an all-time great. He would be a GOD in today's game.

5 > 1...(Sorry, the ring he won averaging 7 and 6 doesn't count)

But WTF was all that other drivel? RPM? I thought that was for cars or some shit. :lol

stalkerforlife
09-04-2014, 09:30 PM
Drob 90-99

/thread

TheMarkMadsen
09-04-2014, 09:37 PM
He averaged 18, 29, 7 on 56%. None of his teammates that outscored him shot better than 46%. I assume by this logic you don't believe Russell would have won any Finals MVP's since he wasn't the teams leading scorer?

that was a huge leap...

but there are finals where Russell wouldn't have been FMVP. I think ISH had a discussion about it and came up with anywhere between 5-7 FMVPs for Russell, so it's not a stretch.. 31% from the line is just pathetic and hurt the team

SouBeachTalents
09-04-2014, 09:40 PM
that was a huge leap...

but there are finals where Russell wouldn't have been FMVP. I think ISH had a discussion about it and came up with anywhere between 5-7 FMVPs for Russell, so it's not a stretch.. 31% from the line is just pathetic and hurt the team

So who would you have given the Finals MVP to for that '67 series?

TheMarkMadsen
09-04-2014, 10:13 PM
So who would you have given the Finals MVP to for that '67 series?

It would have gone to Greer.

Wilt missed huge clutch free throws late in the 4th game 1, gave up 24/30/3 to the guy he was guarding... Greer had 32/10/6

in two out of the four games the 76ers won, Wilt only scored 10 points each game, although he did have some GREAT defensive games, he was never carrying the scoring load though.. The rebounding numbers look pretty gaudy.. until you realize that even with Wilt averaging 28.5 rebounds per game he still had 3 other teammates averaging 8+ rebounds per game, including Luke Jackson who was averaging 12.5 per game..

looking at the stats of the other team you'll see the same thing, Thurmond averaging 26.7 rebounds per game while still having multiple teammates grabbing 8+.. the game back then was obviously played at a much higher pace..

In game 2 the 76ers won by 30+ points even with Wilt missing 12 straight FTs, going 2 of 17 from the line, scoring 10 points.. and yet his team still won by 30+..

It would have come down to Greer or Wilt, with Greer most likely getting the vote, because if you look at the history of the award scoring is highly valued, even more so that somebody who was having a better all around series (see the 1981 finals for a great example)

It's definitely too close to just say Wilt would have been FMVP, it probably would have gone to Greer in all honesty

rlsmooth775
09-04-2014, 10:14 PM
Then why was Kobe such a better winner? :lol

Geeks and their stats. :facepalm

Shaq Phil jackson gasol

Round Mound
09-04-2014, 10:39 PM
Prime: Robinson
Career: Bryant

I Pick 1989-1996 Healthy Version of Robinson With Ease IMO.

HOoopCityJones
09-04-2014, 10:41 PM

08-13 Kobe shits all over him. And that's not even his prime.

Spurs5Rings2014
09-05-2014, 07:10 AM
08-13 Kobe shits all over him. And that's not even his prime.

Psileas
09-05-2014, 07:58 AM
It would have gone to Greer.

Wilt missed huge clutch free throws late in the 4th game 1, gave up 24/30/3 to the guy he was guarding... Greer had 32/10/6

in two out of the four games the 76ers won, Wilt only scored 10 points each game, although he did have some GREAT defensive games, he was never carrying the scoring load though.. The rebounding numbers look pretty gaudy.. until you realize that even with Wilt averaging 28.5 rebounds per game he still had 3 other teammates averaging 8+ rebounds per game, including Luke Jackson who was averaging 12.5 per game..

looking at the stats of the other team you'll see the same thing, Thurmond averaging 26.7 rebounds per game while still having multiple teammates grabbing 8+.. the game back then was obviously played at a much higher pace..

In game 2 the 76ers won by 30+ points even with Wilt missing 12 straight FTs, going 2 of 17 from the line, scoring 10 points.. and yet his team still won by 30+..

It would have come down to Greer or Wilt, with Greer most likely getting the vote, because if you look at the history of the award scoring is highly valued, even more so that somebody who was having a better all around series (see the 1981 finals for a great example)

It's definitely too close to just say Wilt would have been FMVP, it probably would have gone to Greer in all honesty

When the Finals were over, everyone pretty much admitted that Wilt was the man that led them there. His coach claimed that there was no doubt who the greatest player in the game was, and such high praise wouldn't be given for someone outplayed by Greer.
Greer did fine, but a FG% of 39.9% (on almost 25 FGA's per game), whereas his teammates shot a collective 46.4%, isn't an indicator of an efficient scorer, but a chucker. And, if you want to talk about Wilt's rebounding, I also remind you that Greer had 2 teammates averaging 20+ ppg, on better efficiency. And then comes defense...
Better all around series? Since when is 26/8/6 a better all-around series than 18/29/7/countless blocks? All Greer has over Wilt is practically FT%.

JohnFreeman
09-05-2014, 07:58 AM
Kobe is obviously better you shit heads

ImKobe
09-05-2014, 10:23 AM

http://i.imgur.com/tqRzY.gif

JohnFreeman
09-05-2014, 10:26 AM
Kobe is the second greatest shooting guard of all time and a clear top 10 player.