PDA

View Full Version : What are your opinions about the tv show, The Office?

NBAplayoffs2001
09-05-2014, 03:16 PM
It's one of my favorites. I may be one of the very few that thought it was still a pretty decent show post-Michael Scott.

Dwight made the show IMO and when he became more normal is when it got bored (around season 9).

fpliii
09-05-2014, 03:17 PM
I stopped watching after season 4 (only watched scattered episodes after), and IMO the show peaked in seasons 2+3. Admittedly, I could be very wrong here.

NBAplayoffs2001
09-05-2014, 03:19 PM
I stopped watching after season 4 (only watched scattered episodes after), and IMO the show peaked in seasons 2+3. Admittedly, I could be very wrong here.

It can by opinion. I thought season 5 is where it was at its peak. Season 6 was alright then after that, I remember a lot of people in my grade stopped watching.

Cactus-Sack
09-05-2014, 03:29 PM

2-5 was the peak. I liked 4 better than 3. Season 1 wasn't very good, especially the pilot where they pretty much used the same scrip as the original... :facepalm

imdaman99
09-05-2014, 03:33 PM
I like the show, but then again I never was an avid watcher. Mostly keep it on tv and the re-runs air and it's a good filler in the background. Sometimes I catch myself watching it, waiting to see Jim's dumb look at the camera or what outrageous thing Dwight would do next. I think Kevin was the funniest in my opinion.

NBAplayoffs2001
09-05-2014, 03:35 PM
I like the show, but then again I never was an avid watcher. Mostly keep it on tv and the re-runs air and it's a good filler in the background. Sometimes I catch myself watching it, waiting to see Jim's dumb look at the camera or what outrageous thing Dwight would do next. I think Kevin was the funniest in my opinion.

The one character I couldn't stand in the show was Andy... he just seemed way too creepy and like an "average" Ivy league grad. Don't know what he was supposed to represent honestly.

I actually thought Creed was hilarious when he was present.

~primetime~
09-05-2014, 04:02 PM
The Office is a great show...seen every episode. Not so great when Steve Carell left though.

There are some really great characters on that show...

Le Shaqtus
09-05-2014, 04:23 PM
Really great show, Jim Halpert is my spirit animal.

Rake2204
09-05-2014, 04:24 PM
I enjoyed The Office. One of the rare shows I watched all the way through. Seasons 2-6 is my prime groove. I can still watch those episodes on repeat.

Thereafter, once Steve Carell left, things got extremely shaky. I struggled to embrace most of the new characters and a number of old characters seemed to forego growth for a flat out re-imagination of who they were (ex: Andy suddenly becoming a sympathetic boss in one of the later seasons). A lot of the moves felt forced and a little bit bizarre. I'm thinking the writers would admit they were all in a tough spot after Carell parted ways.

That said, I thought the final season had some occasional returns to form, which was nice, so it didn't have to totally flame out in a Scrubs-rebooted-on-ABC fashion. The finale was actually an outstanding capper in my opinion.

As a whole, I hold the series in high regard - it's one of my all-time favorites. It's just, now, I can watch those prime seasons all day but almost entirely avoid the Robert California era. Are those syndicated? Because I never seem to even stumble upon them.

NBAplayoffs2001
09-05-2014, 04:39 PM
I enjoyed The Office. One of the rare shows I watched all the way through. Seasons 2-6 is my prime groove. I can still watch those episodes on repeat.

Thereafter, once Steve Carell left, things got extremely shaky. I struggled to embrace most of the new characters and a number of old characters seemed to forego growth for a flat out re-imagination of who they were (ex: Andy suddenly becoming a sympathetic boss in one of the later seasons). A lot of the moves felt forced and a little bit bizarre. I'm thinking the writers would admit they were all in a tough spot after Carell parted ways.

That said, I thought the final season had some occasional returns to form, which was nice, so it didn't have to totally flame out in a Scrubs-rebooted-on-ABC fashion. The finale was actually an outstanding capper in my opinion.

As a whole, I hold the series in high regard - it's one of my all-time favorites. It's just, now, I can watch those prime seasons all day but almost entirely avoid the Robert California era. Are those syndicated? Because I never seem to even stumble upon them.

Agreed the last season of Scrubs was sooo bad. Lucy was the worst character by far and Drew couldn't act at all

Riley Martin
09-05-2014, 04:44 PM
I get a warm, cozy feeling when I rewatch old episodes. Hard to explain.

mlh1981
09-05-2014, 05:08 PM
This is one of my favorite TV shows of all time, and I never get tired of watching the reruns. I think my favorite moment of all time was when Michael and Dwight drove the car into the late. That was classic. That, or when it was discovered that Ryan accidentally set the office on fire.

As much as I loved Michael Scott on the show, I truly felt like the irreplaceable characters were Jim and Dwight. Two of the best characters in TV history. I didn't care for season 8 too much (Robert California was a bit much), but other than that season, I never had any complaints.

mlh1981
09-05-2014, 05:11 PM

TBS has reruns.

ThePhantomCreep
09-05-2014, 05:12 PM
I get a warm, cozy feeling when I rewatch old episodes. Hard to explain.

So do I, especially seasons 2-4. That was the show's peak imo.

mlh1981
09-05-2014, 05:19 PM
It can by opinion. I thought season 5 is where it was at its peak. Season 6 was alright then after that, I remember a lot of people in my grade stopped watching.

Season 6 was also when SABRE bought out Dunder Mifflin. There were some good storylines with them, but I prefered the whole David Wallace/Michael Scott dynamic. The looks Wallace would give Scott after he would say something crazy were hilarious

Milbuck
09-05-2014, 05:21 PM
Probably my all-time favorite show, at the very least favorite comedy show...the Wire is up there. Brilliant writing, great cast, and I watched most of it during junior high to high school, so there's always gonna be a nostalgia factor to it for me.

Refused to watch past season 7...stuck to that except for the finale when I heard Carell would be there.

Rizko
09-05-2014, 09:56 PM
One of the best shows ever. Love it. Didn't really watch much after Michael left but thats because I was watching the seasons on DVD and we didn't have any past 6 or 7, whatever season he leaves. Best sitcom of the 2000's off the top of my head.

NBAplayoffs2001
09-05-2014, 11:02 PM
The show definitely encapsulates living in a small suburban town. I live outside of NYC and grew up in that type of area (well more busy but similar to it). Despite living in a city (not NYC) for university, I usually come back during the summer and love to go for a 2-3 mile walk in my neighborhood. Smiling at houses I used to hang out at, parties I've been to locally, the areas where I busted my knee while biking. A lot of fond memories. For me seasons 2-5 all the characters were very down to earth and the main reason why I love suburbia despite the fact it may get boring at times.

Boarder Patrol
09-05-2014, 11:48 PM
Seasons 2-5 were just amazing. Season 1 I actually liked a lot, some hidden gems there. There's a decline in 6 and 7 but Carrell still made the show special. When he was gone, pretty rough. Scott-era office is the best comedy I've seen and it's not close. Parks and Rec or Sunny would be my two other favorites but there's not even a comparison.