PDA

View Full Version : Surprising observations on Lebron's 3pt shooting and spot up game

Hoopz2332
09-06-2014, 10:23 AM
lebron is a better 3 pt shooter than especially when he's set and spotting up. This myth that lebron only takes wide open 3's has to stop:oldlol: here is breakdown on lebron's 3pt shooting last season. Lebron is beast from 3 guarded or unguared as long as he's on balance.

Why Can LeBron James Shoot Three-Pointers All Of A Sudden?

http://i.imgur.com/bOzrQt2.png

http://hoopchalk.com/2013/05/29/why-can-lebron-james-shoot-three-pointers-all-of-a-sudden/

and elite spot up shooting:bowdown:

He crushed the rest of the league in PER last season with a 31.7, just shy of his career high. He shot a ridiculous 56.5 percent from the field. He scored more points in the paint per game than anybody else in the league. He dished out more assists than most point guards. He registered a higher rebound rate than Marc Gasol and Robin Lopez. Defensively, he's tall, quick and strong enough to guard just about anyone in the league, and he almost did.

And if all that wasn't enough, consider this: He now wields one of the most potent jumpers in the league. Only Jose Calderon averaged more points per spot-up play than James, according to Synergy Sports.

Most efficient spot-up players, 2012-13 regular season(Min. 100 plays)

Player Plays Points PPP
Jose Calderon 187 281 1.50
LeBron James 143 195 1.36
Kyle Korver 224 301 1.34
Steve Nash 114 153 1.32
Stephen Curry 226 294 1.30

James' name pops up near the top of all the jump-shot leaderboards for last season. And that includes the unguarded catch-and-shoot category, in which he effectively shot 73.1 percent once you account for the added value of 3s. Only five players were more lethal with open shots. While he couldn't find his shot in the Finals until the very end, he ended up converting 37.5 percent of his 3s in the postseason, which is well above average. (For perspective, Kevin Durant shot 31.3 percent from deep in the playoffs.)

:bowdown:

Nuff Said
09-06-2014, 12:10 PM
Lebron be giving the statisticians crazy orgasms. Dudes a walking stat machine, I think even better than Wilt in that regards.

navy
09-06-2014, 12:12 PM
Lebron be giving the statisticians crazy orgasms. Dudes a walking stat machine, I think even better than Wilt in that regards.
:biggums:

Marchesk
09-06-2014, 12:14 PM

Yeah, Lebron is set to rewrite the record book.

Also, he's going for 2/6 this season.

#number6ix#
09-06-2014, 12:16 PM
He should get plenty of open shots this upcoming season with kyrie ability to get in the lane at will

Nuff Said
09-06-2014, 12:39 PM
:biggums:
Wilt has records but doesn't benefit from advanced stats as Lebron does.

Encre92
09-06-2014, 12:44 PM
Also, he's going for 2/6 this season.
Nah Lebron will never touch GawdWilt's 2/7.

Hoopz2332
09-06-2014, 01:09 PM
LBJ is going to shoot 45% from three this year

3ball
09-06-2014, 03:21 PM
Lebron wasn't a good 3-point shooter until his 9th year in the league (2012).

That was when he finally caught on to the floor-spacing trend that had taken over the league.

So clearly, if Lebron played in other eras where the 3-point shot wasn't emphasized at all, he would have shot the 3-pointer the same way he did the FIRST 9 years of his career (about 32%).

It shows how guys that have good enough shooting form to begin with, can become good 3-point shooters if they have to.

JT123
09-06-2014, 03:52 PM

That was when he finally caught on to the floor-spacing trend that had taken over the league.

So clearly, if Lebron played in other eras where the 3-point shot wasn't emphasized at all, he would have shot the 3-pointer the same way he did the FIRST 9 years of his career (about 32%).

It shows how guys that have good enough shooting form to begin with, can become good 3-point shooters if they have to.
Lebron >>>>>>>>>>>> Jordan as a 3 point shooter. Let it go, son.

no pun intended
09-06-2014, 03:53 PM
Not surprising at all. Anyone who has been watching him knows that shooting hasn't been his problem. His problem has been his lack of assertiveness and aggression to shoot more. He's too reluctant at times. As LeBron once said, he'd "put up 60. Easy." any day.

ballinhun8
09-06-2014, 03:59 PM
Cool story bro. Tell it again.

JT123
09-06-2014, 04:02 PM
Cool story bro. Tell it again.
The butt hurt is strong in this one. :oldlol:

ballinhun8
09-06-2014, 04:05 PM
The butt hurt is strong in this one. :oldlol:

When you get outta the red, then you can quote me bro.

3ball
09-06-2014, 04:53 PM

Jordan >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lebron as a 3 point shooter

Fixed it for you JT..

http://gifsforum.com/images_new/gif/other/grand/Jordan_Shrug_3259f019925f89d0b38af9a541eba934.gif

JT123
09-06-2014, 05:01 PM
Fixed it for you JT..

http://gifsforum.com/images_new/gif/other/grand/Jordan_Shrug_3259f019925f89d0b38af9a541eba934.gif
:roll: :roll: :roll: A ONE GAME sample size? That's the best you can do? :facepalm At least give me one season. Oh wait, you can't! Jordan's only seasons with a decent 3 point percentage was when Stern decided to move the line closer in. :oldlol: When the league moved the line further out again in 97-98 Jordan's 3 point percentage PLUMMETED to just 24%, a 13% drop off from the previous season. :facepalm

3ball
09-06-2014, 05:38 PM
At least give me one season.... Oh wait, you can't! Jordan's only seasons with a decent 3 point percentage was when Stern decided to move the line closer in.

There was one particular year BEFORE the line was moved in closer, where Jordan experimented and had real volume shooting threes - it was 1990, when Jordan was 1.1 for 3.0 attempts, for 37.6%.

So even at a pretty early stage in his career, Jordan showed that with little effort, he could be a 38% three-point shooter.

But it sounds like you don't understand the nature of Jordan's game at that time - he was SO good at scoring two-pointers from all over the court (at the rim, mid-range, off-ball, on-ball, post, sick baseline game, sick reverse layup game... hanging mid-range shots amidst multiple defenders were standard, etc.), that he did not want his very sophisticated two-point game that had answers for any defense to be diluted with ordinary 3-pointers.

Here is a 41 second youtube where Jordan says he specifically did not want to become a good 3-point shooter, because it would take away from other parts of his game - "I don't want to excel at it because it takes away from other parts of my game".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2CyJdCq-zU

The most important thing is that when it mattered most, Jordan was as at shooting 3's as anyone - he set the Finals record for 3-pointers... this is similar to his passing - no one has ever passed better than Jordan did in the 1991 Finals.

Cocaine80s
09-06-2014, 05:46 PM
Damn.. I knew his 3pt shooting has improved, but elite? oh boy.. at this rate LeBron will have a strong argument for GOAT. He'll probably just need 2 more championships + finals mvps.. with more mvps, pts, assists, rebounds, and either blocks or steals.. it's a wrap.
needs atleast 5 rings for GOAT consideration

3ball
09-06-2014, 05:48 PM
needs atleast 5 rings for GOAT consideration
Why does he get to win only 5 and have a chance to be goat, when Jordan had to win 6?... What's the reason for lowering the bar??

Is there some other reason why championships should not matter as much for Lebron?... Is it because Lebron's stats are better?... Is he better in the Finals??... What other reason would allow us to lower the bar for him?

JT123
09-06-2014, 05:49 PM
Here is a 41 second youtube where Jordan says he specifically did not want to become a good 3-point shooter, because it would take away from other parts of his game - "I don't want to excel at it because it takes away from other parts of my game".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2CyJdCq-zU.
This makes no sense whatsoever. :wtf: How the hell does improving one part of your game take away from other parts that you already excel in?
This would be like Steph Curry saying he doesn't want to get better at taking the ball to the basket because it would take away from his 3 point shooting. :oldlol: Sounds to me like Jordan is just making excuses for the fact that he sucked at long range shooting. :sleeping

Cocaine80s
09-06-2014, 06:00 PM
Why does he get to win only 5 and have a chance to be goat, when Jordan had to win 6?... What's the reason for lowering the bar??

Is there some other reason why championships should not matter as much for Lebron?... Is it because Lebron's stats are better?... Is he better in the Finals??... What other reason would allow us to lower the bar for him?

Because LeBron by the time he retires will have more pts, rebounds, assists, little higher FG%, MVP's in the regular season etc etc. A championship here and there won't be able to mask that gap.
this

3ball
09-06-2014, 06:03 PM
This makes no sense whatsoever. :wtf: How the hell does improving one part of your game take away from other parts that you already excel in?
This would be like Steph Curry saying he doesn't want to get better at taking the ball to the basket because it would take away from his 3 point shooting. :oldlol: Sounds to me like Jordan is just making excuses for the fact that he sucked at long range shooting. :sleeping
When it comes to Jordan's 3-point shooting, he has several major factors going for him:

1) You told me to produce one season where Jordan shot a good percentage before the line was moved in - and I did - he happened to experiment one season with real volume (1990), and he shot 38% (1.1 for 3.0 attempts per game).... So you were wrong here.

2) Jordan didn't want his aggressive mentality and his very diverse/sophisticated two-point game that no defense had an answer for, to be diluted by ordinary 3-pointers - and I show you a 41 second youtube where Jordan actually says this.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2CyJdCq-zU

3) Just like his passing, Jordan was as good as anyone at 3-point shooting when it mattered most - when Portland Trailblazers returned again to the NBA Finals in 1992, they had a plan to see if Jordan could hurt them from 3... The entire series depended on whether Jordan could hit 3's... and he hit them better than anyone had ever done it before, just like most everything else he did on the basketball court.

Hoopz2332
09-06-2014, 06:04 PM

lebron could always shoot 3's even his rookie year but he used to take a whole bunch of bad ones/half court heaves and heat checks. He's wiped out most of that and just takes smart 3's now.

3ball
09-06-2014, 06:25 PM
Because LeBron by the time he retires will have more pts, rebounds, assists, little higher FG%, MVP's in the regular season etc etc. A championship here and there won't be able to mask that gap.
Jordan had better numbers in ANY season - regular season or postseason or Finals - because the PER GAME stats is what matters... Anyone that passed 6th grade math knows that.. So they would also know that Lebron falls way short of Jordan in PTS PER GAME and clutch - this huge gap in scoring and clutch is not made up by a negligible advantage in assists and rebounding (and Lebron's 33% more turnovers).

Of course Jordan's per game numbers will always be better than Lebron's in the regular season - but that isn't really where it matters because the regular season is the much lower level of competition... Obviously, you can't base greatness on the lower level of competition.

Otoh, the postseason has the much higher level of competition, so that is what matters... For Jordan, the postseason is where his numbers really have a significant advantage over Lebron's, and they show more separation the further you go in the postseason!!!... For example, Jordan averages 10 more ppg in the Finals..

Of course, the entire argument about the goat misguided, since Jordan leads everyone all-time in Win Shares, WS/48, PER, Usage+Ortg, and career PPG average in the regular season/postseason/Finals... and leads the modern era in championships and Finals MVP's.

russwest0
09-08-2014, 03:07 PM
LeBron is the best 34% 3PT shooter of all time

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Encre92
09-08-2014, 03:08 PM
GOAT gonna GOAT.

dubeta
09-08-2014, 03:41 PM
LeBron can basically shoot like Durant and Carmelo, but people still say that Durant and Melo are 'pure shooters'

LeBron >> Kobe as a shooter except for maybe freethrows

And Jordan was allergic to shooting 3's untill the NBA shortened the line

aj1987
09-16-2014, 02:43 AM
There was one particular year BEFORE the line was moved in closer, where Jordan experimented and had real volume shooting threes - it was 1990, when Jordan was 1.1 for 3.0 attempts, for 37.6%.

So even at a pretty early stage in his career, Jordan showed that with little effort, he could be a 38% three-point shooter.

But it sounds like you don't understand the nature of Jordan's game at that time - he was SO good at scoring two-pointers from all over the court (at the rim, mid-range, off-ball, on-ball, post, sick baseline game, sick reverse layup game... hanging mid-range shots amidst multiple defenders were standard, etc.), that he did not want his very sophisticated two-point game that had answers for any defense to be diluted with ordinary 3-pointers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2CyJdCq-zU

The most important thing is that when it mattered most, Jordan was as at shooting 3's as anyone - he set the Finals record for 3-pointers... this is similar to his passing - no one has ever passed better than Jordan did in the 1991 Finals.

:oldlol:

And I though Kobe and LeBron stans were bad.

ballinhun8
09-16-2014, 02:49 AM
Holy jeez the bran stans are bad.

Having more revs, ast, pts in the regular season make up for NBA CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!??

Did one of his followers really try to say that??