PDA

View Full Version : Ginobili or Chris Mullin?

sammichoffate
09-07-2014, 01:45 PM
They're both monster SG's so idk which one is better than the other :confusedshrug:

QuebecBaller
09-07-2014, 01:49 PM
Mullin was a SF

T_L_P
09-07-2014, 01:54 PM
Mullin was really an SF.

He was great for about 6 years but he wasn't anything special before or after that. If he could have extrapolated 88-93 over 10+ years, it'd probably be him.

But as it stands it's Ginobili by a considerable margin.

Encre92
09-07-2014, 01:57 PM
Manu has 4 rings so I'll go with him.

Smoke117
09-07-2014, 02:03 PM
Mullin was really an SF.

He was great for about 6 years but he wasn't anything special before or after that. If he could have extrapolated 88-93 over 10+ years, it'd probably be him.

There is no universe where Ginobili is better than Chris Mullin by a "considerable margin". That is just asinine and bias.

Haymaker
09-07-2014, 02:04 PM
Mullin played SG for a while, and he wasn't particularly big for a SF so the comparison is pretty fair. Mullin was the better shooter, Manu got the edge in passing and defense even though Mullin was a terrific passer as well. In another topic, I think Mullin was the most replaceable player in the Dream Team.

SCdac
09-07-2014, 02:06 PM
Love Mullin and grew up watching him but I'll take the guy who's an ultimate team player and competitor and didn't fall into alcoholism.

Haymaker
09-07-2014, 02:11 PM
Love Mullin and grew up watching him but I'll take the guy who's an ultimate team player and competitor and didn't fall into alcoholism.

Mullin recovered from alcoholism and he wasn't a selfish player. He was as much a team player as Manu. Manu has a better winning attitude, I'll give you that.

SamuraiSWISH
Ginobili is more like a less physically imposing Sarunas Marciulionis

Marchesk
Manu has 4 rings so I'll go with him.

And Horry has 7. Helps to play with Parker, Duncan and have Pop as a coach when it comes to winning rings.

Duggrr
09-07-2014, 02:12 PM
Chris Mullin by a lot.

QuebecBaller
09-07-2014, 02:32 PM
Mullin played SG for a while, and he wasn't particularly big for a SF so the comparison is pretty fair. Mullin was the better shooter, Manu got the edge in passing and defense even though Mullin was a terrific passer as well. In another topic, I think Mullin was the most replaceable player in the Dream Team.

http://vinnypezzimenti.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Laettner.jpg

Haymaker
09-07-2014, 02:34 PM
http://vinnypezzimenti.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Laettner.jpg

Oh well, he was the team's mascot. :D

Cali Syndicate
09-07-2014, 03:15 PM
Mullin was really an SF.

Mullin had a great college career.

Signing to play for St. John's University in nearby Queens, Mullin in his freshman year averaged 16.6 points per game (also setting the school freshman record for points scored). In his subsequent three years for the Redmen, he would be named Big East Player of the Year three times, named to the All-America team three times, play for the gold medal-winning 1984 Olympic team, receive the 1985 Wooden Award, USBWA College Player of the Year and lead his team to the 1985 Final Four. Mullin finished his career as the Redmen's all-time leading scorer. He also holds the distinction of being one of only three players in history to win the Haggerty Award (given to the best college player in the New York City area) three times (1983–1985).

And that 6 year span for mullin you speak of is better than any span from ginobli. go look up how many players in nba history was putting up 25ppg at 50% for five consecutive seasons. Won't be many.

Myth
09-07-2014, 03:19 PM
Mullen for me. I think if Mullen were on the Spurs instead of Ginobili, they would have won all the same championships, and likely not thrown away 2013 or 2006.

fpliii
09-07-2014, 03:19 PM
And Horry has 7. Helps to play with Parker, Duncan and have Pop as a coach when it comes to winning rings.
I get Duncan and Pop, but why mention Parker? Manu was substantially better, and much harder to replace than Parker IMO.

Marchesk
09-07-2014, 03:28 PM
I get Duncan and Pop, but why mention Parker? Manu was substantially better, and much harder to replace than Parker IMO.

I'm not saying who's better or trying to denigrate Manu. My point was that Mullin didn't have the same kind of team to play for when the ring argument is brought up.

I don't think it's fair to say that Manu is better than Mullin because he has 4 rings.

La Frescobaldi
09-07-2014, 03:37 PM
I'm not saying who's better or trying to denigrate Manu. My point was that Mullin didn't have the same kind of team to play for when the ring argument is brought up.

I don't think it's fair to say that Manu is better than Mullin because he has 4 rings.

He's better on the court.

Beastmode88
09-07-2014, 03:52 PM
Manu was a beast season. Spurs would of had 6 rings if Manu wasn't playing for Miami last season.

Meticode
09-07-2014, 06:58 PM
Manu. Mullin was a great player, particularly a great shooter, but Manu's game far away affects the outcome of a game more than Mullin's did.

mehyaM24
09-07-2014, 07:07 PM
gino is lowkey one of the greatest all-around players in history.

so ya, excuse me while i take manu.

Nowitness
09-07-2014, 07:15 PM
Mullin was the best SF of the 80s. We have never seen a better all round white SF, who could even compare?

Milbuck
09-07-2014, 07:18 PM
You know the crafty, extremely intelligent, well-rounded, highly skilled offensive player and clutch cold blooded killer the media keeps trying to paint James Harden as? Manu actually was that player...the only difference is that Manu doesn't play on a team that basically lets him do whatever the **** he wants to on offense and play zero defense to pad his stats. If he did he'd EASILY be a 25/5/5 player at his peak.

Oh yeah, and Manu plays defense.

I'll take him over Mullin as well.

QuebecBaller
09-07-2014, 07:25 PM
Mullin was the best SF of the 80s. We have never seen a better all round white SF, who could even compare?

Yep, Mullin was the white Larry Bird in the 80s...

L.Kizzle
09-07-2014, 07:54 PM
Mullin. Replace Manu with Mullin and the Spurs still have four rings with Run TMC still have early playoff exits.

La Frescobaldi
09-07-2014, 08:15 PM

http://www.realclearsports.com/blognetwork/rcs_sidelines/larry%20bird%20shot.jpg

La Frescobaldi
09-07-2014, 08:16 PM
Mullin. Replace Manu with Mullin and the Spurs still have four rings with Run TMC still have early playoff exits.

no.

maybe.

L.Kizzle
09-07-2014, 08:24 PM
no.

maybe.
26/5/5 in his prime 5 seasons. Made All NBA 1st team in 1992 when Malone Barkley and Pippen were at their best. Was an Original Dream Member. You're either underrating Mullin or overrating Manu.

Smoke117
09-07-2014, 08:36 PM
26/5/5 in his prime 5 seasons. Made All NBA 1st team in 1992 when Malone Barkley and Pippen were at their best. Was an Original Dream Member. You're either underrating Mullin or overrating Manu.

Mullin had no business making 1st team All NBA over Pippen in 92. Scottie was better in every way (significantly in most ways) possible except Mullin scored more points. Warriors were first in pace with a 103.4 to the Bulls 94.4 (22nd) which obviously made the buckets come easier on the Warriors at that. I like Mullin and think he's really underrated, but he was never 1st team all nba worthy.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
09-07-2014, 08:46 PM
http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Manu-Ginobili-Pass-Through-Kobe-Bryants-Legs.gif
Gino whaddaya know

L.Kizzle
09-07-2014, 08:56 PM
Mullin had no business making 1st team All NBA over Pippen in 92. Scottie was better in every way (significantly in most ways) possible except Mullin scored more points. Warriors were first in pace with a 103.4 to the Bulls 94.4 (22nd) which obviously made the buckets come easier on the Warriors at that. I like Mullin and think he's really underrated, but he was never 1st team all nba worthy.
Mullin 26/5/4 on 52% on 55 win team and Pippen 21/8/7 on 50% on 67 win team. One guy had a teammate named Michael Jordan the other had a teammate named Tim Hardaway.

Smoke117
09-07-2014, 09:01 PM
Mullin 26/5/4 on 52% on 55 win team and Pippen 21/8/7 on 50% on 67 win team. One guy had a teammate named Michael Jordan the other had a teammate named Tim Hardaway.

One guy was in discussion for the best defensive player not a big man in the league...while the best you could say about the other guy was maybe:"his defense isn't that bad". I think you know who is who. Also why you talking shit on my man Tim Hardaway? He was a stud in 1992 and a better player than Mullin, so I dunno why you would even bring him up.

miles berg
09-07-2014, 09:32 PM
TimBug was a stud. Every bit as good as CP3 in his prime.

I lean slightly towards Manu because of his ability to initiate the offense but, man, both were/are superstars and HOFers.

Very close comparison.

Reggie43
09-07-2014, 09:38 PM
Perceived ability to produce versus actual Hof level production, who wins :D

Milbuck
09-07-2014, 09:46 PM
Perceived ability to produce versus actual Hof level production, who wins :D
Who is the better player:

current Kevin Love at 26/13/4/1/1 on 59% TS...or

peak Pau Gasol at 21/10/3/2/1 on 59% TS?

I'm not saying one is better than the other..my point is, it's arguable despite the clear difference in stats, production as you refer to it. To the point where the numbers sure as hell don't reflect their respective abilities/circumstances.

Same situation with Mullin and Ginobili. If Ginobili was placed in a system that didn't push for extreme ball movement and unselfishness...if he was on a fast-paced system with complete freedom offensively, is there any doubt that he'd be a consistent 25/5/5 caliber player? He has brilliant BBIQ, he can handle, he has great vision, he can shoot, he has a crafty scoring arsenal, he is as complete and unique an offensive player as you'll find for his position.

It's really not perceived ability to produce...we've seen him produce at a HOF-level. The only thing is he does it within the confines of his team's system, which doesn't let him put up the gaudy numbers inferior players like James Harden put up. Monta Ellis once put up 26ppg on 45% shooting..and yet there's no way I'm taking him over peak Manu.

L.Kizzle
09-07-2014, 09:56 PM

I'm not saying one is better than the other..my point is, it's arguable despite the clear difference in stats, production as you refer to it. To the point where the numbers sure as hell don't reflect their respective abilities/circumstances.

Same situation with Mullin and Ginobili. If Ginobili was placed in a system that didn't push for extreme ball movement and unselfishness...if he was on a fast-paced system with complete freedom offensively, is there any doubt that he'd be a consistent 25/5/5 caliber player? He has brilliant BBIQ, he can handle, he has great vision, he can shoot, he has a crafty scoring arsenal, he is as complete and unique an offensive player as you'll find for his position.

It's really not perceived ability to produce...we've seen him produce at a HOF-level. The only thing is he does it within the confines of his team's system, which doesn't let him put up the gaudy numbers inferior players like James Harden put up. Monta Ellis once put up 26ppg on 45% shooting..and yet there's no way I'm taking him over peak Manu.
Mullin was doin it on playoff teams though.

Reggie43
09-07-2014, 10:03 PM

The only way that Manu seems to be better is that most people put too much stock on him winning rings as a 3rd/2nd option. Sure there are certain skills that he has advantages over Mullin but that alone wont overcome the actual numbers that Mullin put up.

And its funny how many of you "perceive" that Manu could be a consistent 25/5/5 player when his prime numbers on a similar 6 year stretch was just around 16/4/4 on 29 mins per game

SCdac
09-07-2014, 10:24 PM
How many player in history wouldn't take some kind of backseat to Tim Duncan though? As a newcomer to Duncan's Spurs, Manu had no choice (for the Spurs to remain contenders and cohesive). The fact that, statistically, current James Harden probably seems like a better comparison to Mullin says everything that's wrong about stats and player evaluations. Yet Harden is a good comparison to Manu in that he went from a 17 ppg coming off the bench in OKC to a 25+ ppg scorer almost overnight once he was given his own team to operate. Manu came into the league late (25 years old) and has had his fair share of injuries but surely he has / had that kind of All-Star talent and looked like a top-10 MVP candidate on his best days / season. Not to mention playing an integral role in a dynasty. Mullin and Manu, both excellent shooters too. Would have liked to see them ball together

Reggie43
09-07-2014, 10:59 PM
How many player in history wouldn't take some kind of backseat to Tim Duncan though? As a newcomer to Duncan's Spurs, Manu had no choice (for the Spurs to remain contenders and cohesive). The fact that, statistically, current James Harden probably seems like a better comparison to Mullin says everything that's wrong about stats and player evaluations. Yet Harden is a good comparison to Manu in that he went from a 17 ppg coming off the bench in OKC to a 25+ ppg scorer almost overnight once he was given his own team to operate. Manu came into the league late (25 years old) and has had his fair share of injuries but surely he has / had that kind of All-Star talent and looked like a top-10 MVP candidate on his best days / season. Not to mention playing an integral role in a dynasty. Mullin and Manu, both excellent shooters too. Would have liked to see them ball together

Quick question. Does Manu have the stamina to play close to 40 mins per game? I think he was already struggling with injuries with the amount of mins he did play for the Spurs.

Even if he did try to average 25 plus per game there would be a huge drop in his percentages which was never that good to begin with.

Mullin and Harden really seems to be a good comparison only if you disregard their effectivity and percentages with Mullin shooting .536 in his two best years to get his 25 while Harden was shooting .447 to get those numbers

fsvr54
09-07-2014, 11:08 PM
Prime Manu was an absolute beast who was never 100% unleashed on the NBA.

bizil
09-07-2014, 11:30 PM
I've always viewed Mullin as kind of the cloth of Barry and Bird at the SF. A great shooter-scorer (easily an alpha dog), great passer, and clutch as hell. Now Mullin wasn't as big as Bird or as athletic as Barry. But peak Mullin was flat out a great player and a top 3 SF in the world at one point with Nique and Pippen once Bird was on his last legs. The only thing is Mullin didn't have as many great years as he should have due to injury. But he was more durable than Manu. Manu is better all around, hell one of the top 7-8 all around SG's of all time. But keep in mind the better all around player ISN'T the better player in all cases. Peak Manu or Peak Mullin, give me peak Mullin. More stage presence and more proven being the alpha dog on playoff teams.

Round Mound
09-08-2014, 02:23 AM
I've always viewed Mullin as kind of the cloth of Barry and Bird at the SF. A great shooter-scorer (easily and alpha dog), great passer, and clutch as hell. Now Mullin wasn't as big as Bird or as athletic as Barry. But peak Mullin was flat out a great player and a top 3 SF in the world at one point with Nique and Pippen once Bird was on his last legs. The only thing is Mullin didn't have as many great years as he should have due to injury. But he was more durable than Manu. Manu is better all around, hell one of the top 7-8 all around SG's of all time. But keep in mind the better all around player ISN'T the better player in all cases. Peak Manu or Peak Mullin, give my peak Mullin. More stage presence and more proven being the alpha dog on playoff teams.

This

Nowitness
09-08-2014, 02:50 AM
People think Bird is better than Mullin.

Probably only because he is white. Bird was so overrated because of his skin tone. Stacked team, 0 defense, average everywhere else.

L.Kizzle
09-08-2014, 03:02 AM
Prime Manu was an absolute beast who was never 100% unleashed on the NBA.
You can say that for tons of players. Manu never had that (at least) one season where he had elite stats like McHale did with his 26/10/2 ect. I have Manu behind a guy like Bob Dandridge.

AI Thornton
09-08-2014, 10:26 AM
Ginobili for me.

Marchesk
09-08-2014, 10:49 AM
Mullin had no business making 1st team All NBA over Pippen in 92. Scottie was better in every way (significantly in most ways) possible except Mullin scored more points

Scottie wasn't a better shooter. Come on now. Pippen is overall better, but it really does help to have an MJ on your team that gets the number one focus from the other team every single game.