PDA

View Full Version : Cousins Representing Team USA Well

ballup
09-08-2014, 10:00 PM
[QUOTE]Classic U.S. moment: European journalist to DeMarcus Cousins: "Do you know where Slovenia is?" Cousins: "No, do you know where Alabama is?"

ALBballer
09-08-2014, 10:02 PM
Condescending question by the reporter.

"Oh we have an american, let us test his geography."

So original.

:rolleyes:

mattvNJ
09-08-2014, 10:03 PM
Thats a relatively fair answer. The reporter was trying to expose American ignorance when I bet if one were to ask a similar question about geographic regions of the US to Euros their answer would be similar. Boogie just being him.

ProfessorMurder
09-08-2014, 10:03 PM
People will think I'm Jameer because of how much I love Cousins.

JohnFreeman
09-08-2014, 10:04 PM
Good work Boogie!

andremiller07
09-08-2014, 10:36 PM
Cousins>>>Daivs/Faired/Drummond/Plumelee

bigkingsfan
09-08-2014, 10:37 PM
Swag

KNOW1EDGE
09-08-2014, 10:54 PM
Cousins basically owned that reporter in the most respectful of ways. Good to see him being a little smarter.

SamuraiSWISH
09-08-2014, 10:57 PM
Thank you Boogie for putting that Euro ******* in his place. He was trying to make you look stupid. Cousins is doing the Barkley thing out there in Barcelona. I dig it. Be an ugly American, just have swag, and don't take shit from anyone. Especially some fudge packing foreigner.

Kvnzhangyay
09-08-2014, 11:00 PM
Thank you Boogie for putting that Euro ******* in his place. He was trying to make you look stupid. Cousins is doing the Barkley thing out there in Barcelona. I dig it. Be an ugly American, just have swag, and don't take shit from anyone. Especially some fudge packing foreigner.

Well to be fair the US are foreigners there

Beastmode88
09-08-2014, 11:05 PM
Well to be fair the US are foreigners there

How does that even matter. Reporters should ask question based on the game of basketball, not some stupid geography question. What's the point? Even if he had the right answer what would that prove? And it probably wouldn't even make headlines if he did. Reporter sounds like a troll to me.

Maga_1
09-08-2014, 11:14 PM
How does that even matter. Reporters should ask question based on the game of basketball, not some stupid geography question. What's the point? Even if he had the right answer what would that prove? And it probably wouldn't even make headlines if he did. Reporter sounds like a troll to me.

What would it prove? Nothing in terms of actual basketball game, but something in terms of actually being intelligent?
He didn't ask him where Ljubljana was, he asked Slovenia.
It's not that big of a deal :lol

Le Shaqtus
09-08-2014, 11:14 PM
There isn't a more perfect response.

Good job Cousins :applause:

Noob Saibot
09-08-2014, 11:30 PM
He's growing up right before our eyes! :lebronamazed:

Dengness9
09-08-2014, 11:34 PM
Boogie dat dude

loved it

Dengness9
09-08-2014, 11:35 PM
Cousins>>>Daivs/Faired/Drummond/Plumelee

In NBA comp

buddha
09-08-2014, 11:40 PM
I would have responded near slovakia.

Dengness9
09-08-2014, 11:47 PM
I would have responded near slovakia.

:applause: that would of been his second answer Im sure.

roffie
09-09-2014, 12:12 AM
reporter had it coming

VIntageNOvel
09-09-2014, 09:20 AM
People will think I'm Jameer because of how much I love Cousins.

:lebronamazed:

fpliii
09-09-2014, 09:27 AM
I don't mind the response since the reporter was trying to set him up, but how does it make sense to respond by asking if he knows where an individual state is?

JohnFreeman
09-09-2014, 09:29 AM
I don't mind the response since the reporter was trying to set him up, but how does it make sense to respond by asking if he knows where an individual state is?
Because they don't know where the state would be in the US? He double bluffed the reporter

Bandito
09-09-2014, 09:30 AM
It was probably the first thing that came to mind. Don't try to overanalyze that response m8.

fpliii
09-09-2014, 09:44 AM
Because they don't know where the state would be in the US? He double bluffed the reporter

It was probably the first thing that came to mind. Don't try to overanalyze that response m8.
:lol I get that but the way I'm thinking, Slovenia is a country, while Alabama is a state within a country. It's not like the guy asked him where a state within Slovenia is.

Again though, the reporter was clearly a fakkit. Glad Cousins turned it around on him, definitely was thinking on his feet.

JohnFreeman
09-09-2014, 09:46 AM
:lol I get that but the way I'm thinking, Slovenia is a country, while Alabama is a state within a country. It's not like the guy asked him where a state within Slovenia is.

Again though, the reporter was clearly a fakkit. Glad Cousins turned it around on him, definitely was thinking on his feet.
Cousins posted the reporter up and dunked on his ass

fpliii
09-09-2014, 09:48 AM
Cousins posted the reporter up and dunked on his ass
Looking for DMC to dominate today (maybe Rose too, based on what Coach K said the other day). :rockon:

JohnFreeman
09-09-2014, 09:48 AM
Looking for DMC to dominate today (maybe Rose too, based on what Coach K said the other day). :rockon:
He just needs the minutes.

Charlie Sheen
09-09-2014, 09:50 AM

Maybe bc that's where DMC is from? Just guessing

Born August 13, 1990 (age 24)
Mobile, Alabama

Overdrive
09-09-2014, 10:13 AM

Most people know, though. Iowa, Montana or Wyoming would've been better.

Still a good answer to that stupid question.

FrenchDude
09-09-2014, 10:46 AM
Most western european kids couldn't locate Slovenia as well.
Excellent answer by Cousins!!

Done_And_Done
09-09-2014, 10:50 AM
Well played Boogs

kshutts1
09-09-2014, 11:41 AM
To be fair, Alabama is larger than Slovenia. And yes, I had to look that up.

fiddy
09-09-2014, 01:13 PM
wtf ISH, praising Boogie like he won the Noble prize, this was a mediocre comeback at best.

madmax17
09-09-2014, 01:51 PM
:lol I know where Alabama is.

bdreason
09-09-2014, 02:02 PM
What would it prove? Nothing in terms of actual basketball game, but something in terms of actually being intelligent?
He didn't ask him where Ljubljana was, he asked Slovenia.
It's not that big of a deal :lol

Not knowing where Slovenia is located doesn't make you unintelligent. There are millions of incredibly bright people in the world who couldn't tell you where Slovenia is.

SpanishACB
09-09-2014, 02:14 PM
There are millions of incredibly bright people in the world who couldn't tell you where Slovenia is.

not sure if serious or you just have your bar set too low by your parents or something

Levity
09-09-2014, 02:16 PM
not sure if serious or you just have your bar set too low by your parents or something

ignorant comment.

oarabbus
09-09-2014, 02:24 PM

Considering the "Americans don't know geography" mentality combined with the fact Euros likely don't know too much about US states, and the fact that Alabama has double the population of Slovenia and is a larger... 'geographical region' than Slovenia, I think it's a fair comeback/makes sense.

cuad
09-09-2014, 02:59 PM
Condescending question by the reporter.

"Oh we have an american, let us test his geography."

So original.

:rolleyes:
Is that really how it went down? I have known Euros to be pretty nationalistic, to have more pride in their homelands than Americans typically do (though Barkley and Cousins are pretty proud of Alabama). If people (never mind a US superstar) know where their country is, it makes them feel good, so they ask. They're not asking because they hate blacks, don't think they know geography, and want to humiliate them. That view is insecure and ignorant.

Mass Debator
09-09-2014, 03:41 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll: GOAT response

aj1987
09-09-2014, 03:58 PM
Aren't you the dude who compared getting/removing a tattoo to wearing a cap?

Anyways, I know several doctors, professors, engineers, etc. who cannot point out where Paraguay, Angola, Poland, etc. are on a map. Heck, I know people who are smart as shit and do not know that a country named Gabon or even Mali exist.

Maga_1
09-09-2014, 06:01 PM
Not knowing where Slovenia is located doesn't make you unintelligent. There are millions of incredibly bright people in the world who couldn't tell you where Slovenia is.

I didn't said that it makes you unintelligent.
I said that if he knew it was a plus for him to being considered intelligent.

And still, even tho Slovenia is smaller and less populated than Alabama.. it's a god damn country, you can't even compare them. :lol

rhowen4
09-09-2014, 06:52 PM
I don't know where either are located.

ballup
09-09-2014, 07:07 PM
Usa! Usa! Usa!

BigMacAttack
09-09-2014, 10:08 PM
Im an Aussie and I could of nailed both them questions, does this make me a genius? :coleman:

HomieWeMajor
09-09-2014, 10:17 PM
Boogie is now on the list of black people that SamuraiSwish likes :applause:

aj1987
09-10-2014, 02:59 AM
:oldlol:

J Shuttlesworth
09-10-2014, 02:59 AM
ayyy lmao

http://7citieswitness.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Larry-Sanders.gif

kurple
09-10-2014, 07:11 AM
Aren't you the dude who compared getting/removing a tattoo to wearing a cap?

Anyways, I know several doctors, professors, engineers, etc. who cannot point out where Paraguay, Angola, Poland, etc. are on a map. Heck, I know people who are smart as shit and do not know that a country named Gabon or even Mali exist.
really?

this thread is making me feel hella smart. i know where all these countries are, as well as alabama

and i think most people should know it as well

kurple
09-10-2014, 07:12 AM
like who the **** doesnt know where poland is?

aj1987
09-10-2014, 10:09 AM
like who the **** doesnt know where poland is?
People who do not give a shit about geography? Just because a person doesn't know where a country is on a map doesn't mean that the person isn't smart.

Oh, and I just used those countries as examples.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
09-10-2014, 10:19 AM
People who do not give a shit about ______

You could say that about anything. :oldlol: The fact is, Slovenia is a country. Not a state.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the quick response by Cousins. Just not sure why people take pride in being ignorant.

kshutts1
09-10-2014, 10:39 AM
You could say that about anything. :oldlol: The fact is, Slovenia is a country. Not a state.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the quick response by Cousins. Just not sure why people take pride in being ignorant.
Not sure it's ignorance in which we take "pride". But rather the self/country defense. The question, to me, seemed like the reporter's motives were "We can't beat them at basketball, so let's make them look silly and stupid". I obviously can't say for sure that that was the reporter's motivation, but that's how it seems.

That said, in response to all those saying we should know geography, etc... how will knowing where Poland is pay my bills? Make me a better person? A better man? A better manager? A better American?

Geography is hardly a necessary knowledge.

kshutts1
09-10-2014, 10:40 AM
For anyone that can name all 218 countries (or whatever the count is), I commend you. I'm glad you know. But, just as I could not care less about what muscles I'm currently engaging by typing this paragraph, neither do I care to know where any country is, much less all of them.

madmax17
09-10-2014, 10:43 AM
like who the **** doesnt know where poland is?pff even cats know that

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcvs4y5pyz1rjcdh2o1_400.jpg

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
09-10-2014, 11:18 AM
Not sure it's ignorance in which we take "pride". But rather the self/country defense. The question, to me, seemed like the reporter's motives were "We can't beat them at basketball, so let's make them look silly and stupid". I obviously can't say for sure that that was the reporter's motivation, but that's how it seems.

Yeah, like I said, Cousins response was apt and very Barkley-like.

That said, in response to all those saying we should know geography, etc... how will knowing where Poland is pay my bills? Make me a better person? A better man? A better manager? A better American?

Geography is hardly a necessary knowledge.

Disagree. Maybe not you, but many need geography knowledge to maintain political and economic leadership. The world is a giant cultural and environmental relationship (differences in language, race, creed, politics - generally how and why people live the way they do).

Geography is essential in maintaining a sense of moral.

boozehound
09-10-2014, 12:23 PM
People who do not give a shit about geography? Just because a person doesn't know where a country is on a map doesn't mean that the person isn't smart.

Oh, and I just used those countries as examples.
no, it just means they are ignorant and closed-off.

Lebron23
09-10-2014, 12:32 PM
Cousins

:applause: :applause: :applause:

aj1987
09-10-2014, 05:35 PM
Just because they don't know where a country is on the map, they're "ignorant and closed-off"?

Milbuck
09-10-2014, 05:43 PM
No, you just have a warped view of intelligence and knowledge.

SamuraiSWISH
09-10-2014, 06:01 PM
More like just people in general. I applaud him for tactfully sticking up for himself and his country from a salty reporter going after his intelligence as opposed to talking basketball.

BigMacAttack
09-10-2014, 06:13 PM
Not having a go a Boogie here, i thought that was a good response to a silly question.

But its not just the in study of Geography that you learn where countries are on the map. Anyone who pays attention to world news should have a half decent knowledge of the world map since they are always putting up regional maps when reporting on international events or anyone who has some knowledge of the major events of modern history such as the big wars should be able to tell you roughly where places like the balkans, Germany, France, Belgium, Poland, Austria, phillipines, Japan, vietnam,Cambodia, Laos, thailand and some other easier ones are. You arent stupid or ignorant if you cant find countries on a map but you dont have to be a college graduate to have a decent knowlede of the world map, like some of you are acting like you gotta specifically study geography to know where any country but your own is.

robert de niro
09-10-2014, 06:20 PM
the reporter probably just wanted a star to mention his lil country and instead got roasted :oldlol:

oarabbus
09-10-2014, 06:42 PM

Where is the Uttar Pradesh province in India?
Don't know? It has more people than Brazil, dont' be ignorant and closed-off.

Where is the Guangdong province in China?
Don't know? It has more people than Mexico, dont' be ignorant and closed off.

Come on man, that game is silly.

boozehound
09-10-2014, 06:48 PM
Where is the Uttar Pradesh province in India?
Don't know? It has more people than Brazil, dont' be ignorant and closed-off.

Where is the Guangdong province in China?
Don't know? It has more people than Mexico, dont' be ignorant and closed off.

Come on man, that game is silly.
I actually know where both of those are. And?

Being ignorant of basic world geography in today's global age is purposeful and is representative of a very self-centered world view.

Not having a go a Boogie here, i thought that was a good response to a silly question.

But its not just the in study of Geography that you learn where countries are on the map. Anyone who pays attention to world news should have a half decent knowledge of the world map since they are always putting up regional maps when reporting on international events or anyone who has some knowledge of the major events of modern history such as the big wars should be able to tell you roughly where places like the balkans, Germany, France, Belgium, Poland, Austria, phillipines, Japan, vietnam,Cambodia, Laos, thailand and some other easier ones are. You arent stupid or ignorant if you cant find countries on a map but you dont have to be a college graduate to have a decent knowlede of the world map, like some of you are acting like you gotta specifically study geography to know where any country but your own is.

This is actually my general point of view.

boozehound
09-10-2014, 06:50 PM
Just because they don't know where a country is on the map, they're "ignorant and closed-off"?
basic knowledge of modern nation-states? Yes. Of course, the majority of our society is ignorant (and this is backed up by all sorts of data).

oarabbus
09-10-2014, 06:56 PM
I actually know where both of those are. And?

Being ignorant of basic world geography in today's global age is purposeful and is representative of a very self-centered world view.

This is actually my general point of view.

Well that's impressive then. Maybe it should be "standard knowledge" but I kind of doubt that.

My point is what percent of the "LOL stupid ignorant Americans" euro crowd could point those two out on a map, or describe the neighboring states? British people who's great grandparents helped colonize India probably couldn't be bothered to know where it is.

But for some reason, it's ignorant to not know where Slovenia is, when it has a population of 2 million and Uttar Pradesh has a population of 200 million. Please correct me if I'm wrong and if the location of provinces/states of India and China is common knowledge elsewhere. I just think it's a case of Eurocentrism more than anything else.

For the record, I think I could generally point out where every country in the world is, and could find it within seconds on a (filled in) map of the world. But if you gave me a blank map of the world with country lines drawn in, no way am I getting 100% on that.

boozehound
09-10-2014, 06:59 PM
Well that's impressive then. Maybe it should be "standard knowledge" but I kind of doubt that.

My point is what percent of the "LOL stupid ignorant Americans" euro crowd could point those two out on a map, or describe the neighboring states? British people who's great grandparents helped colonize India probably couldn't be bothered to know where it is.

But for some reason, it's ignorant to not know where Slovenia is, when it has a population of 2 million and Uttar Pradesh has a population of 200 million. Please correct me if I'm wrong and if the location of provinces/states of India and China is common knowledge elsewhere.
fair enough. I dont think Cousins was in the wrong with his response (it was actually fairly clever on his feet), but I do think that a basic knowledge of geography (knowing a country is in eastern europe or asia, etc) is an important skill for a global citizen (NWO forevah!). You should look up the maps that brits made of the US. Not sure what site it was on, but its pretty funny.

boozehound
09-10-2014, 07:00 PM

But for some reason, it's ignorant to not know where Slovenia is, when it has a population of 2 million and Uttar Pradesh has a population of 200 million. Please correct me if I'm wrong and if the location of provinces/states of India and China is common knowledge elsewhere.

For the record, I think I could generally point out where every country in the world is, and could find it very quickly on a (filled in) map of the world. But if you gave me a blank map of the world with country lines drawn in, no way am I getting 100% on that.
and, no, its not common knowledge.

oarabbus
09-10-2014, 07:12 PM
fair enough. I dont think Cousins was in the wrong with his response (it was actually fairly clever on his feet), but I do think that a basic knowledge of geography (knowing a country is in eastern europe or asia, etc) is an important skill for a global citizen (NWO forevah!). You should look up the maps that brits made of the US. Not sure what site it was on, but its pretty funny.

Most definitely. I don't mean to say there aren't dumb ignorant Americans, there are way too many in fact. Everyone should definitely know which continent a country is in, if not which part of the region (i.e. Laos is Southeast Asia, Egypt is North Africa, etc) regardless of where they live.

sick_brah07
09-10-2014, 08:44 PM
i like cousins more and more everyday, his like rasheed wallace its great