PDA

View Full Version : Chauncey Billups retires: 'It's just time'

Legends66NBA7
09-09-2014, 10:05 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/chauncey-billups-retires---it-s-just-time-013208928.html

Chauncey Billups, the 2004 NBA Finals Most Valuable Player and former Detroit Pistons star, told Yahoo Sports on Tuesday he is retiring after 17 NBA seasons.

Billups became an unrestricted free agent when the Pistons declined the second and final year of a contract option that would have paid him $2.5 million next season. The five-time All-Star had interest in playing with LeBron James and the Cleveland Cavaliers after a workout this offseason and said he had "a couple of opportunities to play" if he wanted to continue. But after missing 185 games the past three seasons, Billups decided it was time to retire a little more than two weeks before his 38th birthday.

"It's just time. I know when it's time," Billups told Yahoo Sports. "My mind and my desire is still strong. I just can't ignore the fact that I haven't been healthy for three years. I can try again and get to a point where I think I can go, but I just can't sustain. Me not being able to play the way that I can play, that's when you kind of know it's that time.

"It's just time. I'm happy, excited. The game was very, very good to me. I felt like I was equally as good to the game the way I played it and the way I respected it and the way I carried myself through the process."

Billups was best known for his first stay with the Pistons from 2002-08. He earned the nickname "Mr. Big Shot" for his clutch shooting when he led Detroit to the 2004 NBA championship and another Finals appearance in '05. He was part of the Pistons' star foursome that also included Ben Wallace, Rip Hamilton and Rasheed Wallace.

Billups said the "best memories" of his career were with the Pistons.

"Before that, my career was in jeopardy in a few different stages," Billups said. "I persevered, sustained and continued to work hard, and finally got my opportunity in Detroit, and I never turned back from that point. That's what made it so sweet to me to win a championship after what I went through. I had to scrap and fight to get through it and to reach the pinnacle made it even sweeter.

"Winning the championship was the ultimate. I never set out to win the [Finals] MVP. Winning the championship was enough."

Billups was the third overall pick in the 1997 NBA draft by the Boston Celtics, but was traded to the Toronto Raptors on Feb. 18, 1998. The Denver native turned his career around with the Minnesota Timberwolves, helped lead the Denver Nuggets to the 2009 Western Conference finals in his second stint with the team, rejoined ex-Nuggets teammate Carmelo Anthony with the New York Knicks and played alongside Chris Paul with the Los Angeles Clippers.

Billups averaged 15 points, 5.4 assists and made 38.7 percent of his 3-point attempts during his NBA career. He made the All-NBA second team twice, the All-NBA third team once and the All-Defense team twice. He finished with 15,802 points, ranks 39th all-time with 5,636 assists and sixth with 1,830 3-pointers made. He also had 1,051 steals in his career.

"I wanted to be one of the best players of my era at my position," Billups said. "And I did that and I earned that. No one gave that to me. I earned every single thing."

The Denver George Washington High graduate was a four-time Colorado all-state first-team selection, was Colorado Mr. Basketball three times and was selected to the 1995 McDonald's All-America Game that he missed because of a shoulder injury. Billups averaged 18.5 points per game during two seasons at Colorado. He was a 1997 All-Big 12 Conference first-team selection and led Colorado to its first NCAA tournament win in more than 30 years in 1997. Colorado retired Billups' No. 4 jersey in 2004.

"I put my whole life into playing basketball," Billups said. "I started at 10 years old. My goal in middle school and high school was just to go to college. I didn't feel like my parents could afford to send me to college. In fear of not achieving that goal, I had to work harder. I felt like basketball was my way of going to college.

"Obviously, you get to college and you re-evaluate your goals and I wanted to go to the NBA. I didn't know it was possible, but that was my goal."

Billups was a member of USA Basketball's gold-medal 2010 world championship team. He was the winner of the NBA's 2008 J. Walter Citizenship Award and also was the inaugural winner of the NBA's Twyman-Stokes Teammate of the Year Award in 2013.

Billups' entire basketball resume could make the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame one day.

"The Hall of Fame would be a big dream," Billups said. "It marks you down as one of the greatest players ever. It's not what I shot for, but that would absolutely be a dream. I know in my heart I had a Hall-of-Fame worthy career. If you look at most Hall of Famers, I don't know how many of them started off the way I started off and made it to the top.

"I don't know what will happen. I do feel I had a Hall-of-Fame career. But there have been a lot of Hall-of-Fame careers other than me."

The early part of Billups' NBA career was marred by injury problems, as was the end of it. He suffered a season-ending torn Achilles' tendon after playing just 20 games for the Clippers during the 2011-12 season and he had knee surgery with the Pistons last season in which he only played 19 games. Billups played a combined 61 games his final three seasons.

While Billups is retiring, he said his body actually now feels "the best that I felt in three years."

"I'm finally 100 percent healthy," Billups said. "I feel great. But the thing is I always told myself that when I retire, one, I want to feel good. I don't want to be walking around limping. I don't want to just go out and play with my guys. I want to feel fantastic.

"I didn't want to go back out with the risk of hurting myself after putting in so much work to feel good. Also, my kids are getting older. I got a junior in high school, a freshman in high school and my baby is 8. And you just can't get those years back."

Billups plans on retiring in his hometown of Denver with his wife Piper and three daughters. He has long been respected in the NBA ranks and viewed as having a future as an NBA front-office executive upon retirement, but he says nothing is imminent. He also is considering some TV opportunities that could materialize next season.

Billups remains strongly involved in Porter-Billups Leadership Academy in Denver. He also co-owns 30 Wendy's fast-food franchises with former NBA player Junior Bridgeman in the St. Louis area.

"Right now, I am kind of taking it easy," Billups said. "I have always said I had a desire to work in a front office somewhere or also do TV commentating or studio work. Those are the things I desire the most. But at the moment I'll enjoying taking it easy. We'll see where it leads."

JohnFreeman
09-09-2014, 10:07 PM
:applause:

CelticBaller
09-09-2014, 10:07 PM
damn

Knicks101
09-09-2014, 10:09 PM
Wow, my favorite Knicks. Said no one ever.

JohnMax
09-09-2014, 10:09 PM
Achilles injury ended his career

MrC1991
09-09-2014, 10:11 PM
Enjoy the rest of your days Chauncey thanks for all the memories.

L.Kizzle
09-09-2014, 10:12 PM
:applause: to a great career. 1st ballot.
2nd ballot

Smoke117
09-09-2014, 10:12 PM

Yeah right. Neither Tim Hardaway or Kevin Johnson have been able to make the HOF yet and both were better/greater players than Billups.

Young X
09-09-2014, 10:13 PM
:applause: Very underrated, and not brought up enough when talking about the great PG's of all time.

L.Kizzle
09-09-2014, 10:16 PM
:applause: Very underrated, and not brought up enough when talking about the great PG's of all time.
Because he's pretty far down the list. Around that 15 to 20 range.

Mr Exlax
09-09-2014, 10:17 PM
One of my all time favorite players. He's probably your favorite point guard's favorite point guard. 1st ballot for sure. FMVP

Meticode
09-09-2014, 10:18 PM
Yeah right. Neither Tim Hardaway or Kevin Johnson have been able to make the HOF yet and both were better/greater players than Billups.
But in the end, it's not about who's a better player, it's about what you accomplish.

Billups has 5 all-star appearances. The same amount as Hardaway, Two more appearance than Johnson. Billups has won a NBA championship while winning Finals MVP. Something Hardaway or Johnson ever sniffed at.

dubeta
09-09-2014, 10:19 PM
should have joined Cavs..

we need a backup pg

Legends66NBA7

Funny you say that, because I've always thought Kyle was very similar to Chauncey as a player.

HomieWeMajor
Indeed
Big testicles Billups hit some big shots in his day.

Rake2204
09-09-2014, 10:41 PM
Still can't believe he helped lead the Detroit Pistons to an NBA championship while winning the Finals MVP award. I totally questioned his signing in '02. He'd almost lived the life of a journeyman up to that point and while he played well in Minnesota the year before (averaged career highs of 12 & 5), I wondered how Detroit could justify signing him to a large contract when I wasn't even sure how much of an upgrade he'd be over Chucky Atkins.

Crazy how things work out. What a great era of basketball for Detroit Pistons fans.

http://www.nbaramblings.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/billupsmvp.jpg

P.S. For those wondering exactly where the Mr. Big Shot moniker may have truly developed, during his first year in Detroit he hit two game-winning buzzer beater triples within a two week span, on top of drilling numerous big time shots during other important stretches. Here's the buzzer beaters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6bKmPKNbo8

no pun intended
09-09-2014, 11:01 PM
Still can't believe he helped lead the Detroit Pistons to an NBA championship while winning the Finals MVP award. I totally questioned his signing in '02. He'd almost lived the life of a journeyman up to that point and while he played well in Minnesota the year before (averaged career highs of 12 & 5), I wondered how Detroit could justify signing him to a large contract when I wasn't even sure how much of an upgrade he'd be over Chucky Atkins.

Crazy how things work out. What a great era of basketball for Detroit Pistons fans.

http://www.nbaramblings.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/billupsmvp.jpg

P.S. For those wondering exactly where the Mr. Big Shot moniker may have truly developed, during his first year in Detroit he hit two game-winning buzzer beater triples within a two week span, on top of drilling numerous big time shots during other important stretches. Here's the buzzer beaters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6bKmPKNbo8
He got some Big Balls in that pic too.

HylianNightmare
09-09-2014, 11:51 PM
Hated him and those piston teams. He had a great run though

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
09-10-2014, 12:16 AM
lol everytime Billups is mentioned, I think of Detroit's PA announcer spamming Ba-ba-ba-Billups. Good times and :cheers: to a great career.

sammichoffate
09-10-2014, 12:48 AM
One of my favorite players of all-time. Clutch as hell, amazing leader, and a privilege to watch. He never really got the flashy highlights, but what he did on the court was worth all the highlights in the world and more. A true class act, a champion, and hopefully a First-Ballot HOF'er. Hope he has success in whatever endeavor he decides to take in the future :cheers:

Collie
09-10-2014, 01:10 AM
One of the best of his generation.

unbreakable
09-10-2014, 01:15 AM
"its time" LMAO

it was time FIVE YEARS AGO lolol

whatever. nice career.. he won a chip while the Lakers were in disarray (GP old, malone hurt, no bench, shaq fat, etc)

Smook A.
09-10-2014, 01:18 AM
Mr. Big Shot! He'll become a Hall of Famer eventually

Congrats on a very nice career. :applause:

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view7/2593736/chauncey-billups-buzzer-beater-o.gif
http://i.minus.com/ibnpPuefAB93eS.gif

$LakerGold
09-10-2014, 11:08 PM
So true, he was a very underrated PG, but yet, he was indeed one of the best of his era.

Thank you, sir! #LALvsDET

BoutPractice
09-11-2014, 04:28 AM
One of the best (and most underrated) guards of his era.

Chauncey Billups is the incarnation of the expression "looks can be deceiving" (...not in that way, although kind of in that way as well :lol nature didn't exactly spoil the guy).

Watch him run next to John Wall and you'd think he was a scrub. But I'd rather face a team with John Wall than with Chauncey Billups at PG. (And I like John Wall.)

5 time all star, champion, Finals MVP. Was once top 5 in MVP voting, and in the top 10 twice. Great shooter, great leader. Nothing sexy about his game, it just... worked.

Lived for the big shot down the stretch, but first and foremost a winner. 2008-2009 was the perfect example of that: him replacing Iverson (by all accounts a much more talented individual player) transformed the Nuggets from a treadmill team in the first round to a near contender, taking the championship Lakers to 6 games in the Conference Finals. That, and of course, that historic 2004 upset, but it's better known.

masonanddixon
09-11-2014, 05:09 AM
Nice guy off the court but one of the whiniest, flopping, most unlikeable guys on the court I have ever seen.

JohnnySic
09-11-2014, 08:49 AM

Stupid Pitino traded this guy so fast. :mad:

kurple
09-11-2014, 09:13 AM
"its time" LMAO

it was time FIVE YEARS AGO lolol

whatever. nice career.. he won a chip while the Lakers were in disarray (GP old, malone hurt, no bench, shaq fat, etc)

wasnt he traded to denver 5 years ago? and LED them to the WCF that season?

now let the fighting between Denver and Detroit begin. over who gets him in the coaching staff

guaranteed a head coaching gig in a couple of years

kurple
09-11-2014, 09:23 AM
another cool stat is that he has 7 straight conference finals on two(or more) teams

only other player to do that is Wilt

what he did in denver should also be a part of his legacy. our team wasnt as far away from a chip as most people think

SCdac
09-11-2014, 11:04 AM
Was a great pointguard, loved the way he ran and controlled plays without being too ball dominant :applause: