PDA

View Full Version : Better overall athletes: boxers vs soccer players?

NBAplayoffs2001
09-10-2014, 12:35 AM
Consider all generations.

~primetime~
09-10-2014, 12:39 AM
Boxing is generally viewed as the most athletic sport there is. It requires every facet of athleticism. Strength, stamina, coordination, agility, etc, you name it.

JEFFERSON MONEY
09-10-2014, 12:56 AM
Yeah boxers are better but

Triathletes, MMA fighters, wrestlers, certain nfl positions, imo are superior athletes,

oarabbus
09-10-2014, 02:52 AM
Boxers if you consider strength a major component of athleticism. But if you consider "human survival athleticism" (therefore not shafting endurance runners and swimmers etc) then soccer players.

Boxers may be more athletic but I consider soccer players to be the most fit human beings of anyone. Boxers and NFL players have too much bulk. Bball athletes are pretty fit but soccer requires conditioning like no other. I don't think most people realize how it is for to play >90 minute games in 90 degree heat like this past world cup.

Jasi
09-10-2014, 04:15 AM
Decathletes

http://www.5thquartermag.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/ashton_eaton_usa.jpg

9erempiree
09-10-2014, 06:17 AM
Boxers if you consider strength a major component of athleticism. But if you consider "human survival athleticism" (therefore not shafting endurance runners and swimmers etc) then soccer players.

Boxers may be more athletic but I consider soccer players to be the most fit human beings of anyone. Boxers and NFL players have too much bulk. Bball athletes are pretty fit but soccer requires conditioning like no other. I don't think most people realize how it is for to play >90 minute games in 90 degree heat like this past world cup.

While I agree but the 2nd best player in the world of soccer walks a lot. An occasional run here and there but he mostly walks and he is considered the 2nd or 3rd best player in the world. So that hurts the game a lot.

masonanddixon
09-10-2014, 07:01 AM
It's boxing, basketball, and tennis for me, as far as all-around athleticism goes.

That_Admiral
09-10-2014, 07:07 AM
would anyone consider swimmers? :confusedshrug:

Thorpesaurous
09-10-2014, 07:10 AM
On average I'd say soccer players, but that's mostly because I think boxing is dragged down by some of the guys at their heavier weight classes. But if you're willing to cherry pick and take just the light heavy weight and below, I'd probably take boxing. I did a little boxing after high school, when I was in great shape, and it is an exhausting experience.

I agree with 9er up there in that in general there are a lot of stagnant moments on a soccer field where players can generally relax. For me on average basketball yeilds better athletes than soccer.

And then there's the more niche sports. Decathletes like Jasi said have long been considered the best athletes in the world. Sprinters are finely tuned machines, who may only be exploiting a single piece of what they can do because of the focus it takes, but at the world class level there's no room for much other near perfection physically. Swimmers. Cyclists. Gymnasts are incredible athletes.

Godzuki
09-10-2014, 08:48 AM
i think basketball players are generally the most athletic. i'd go boxers over soccer players but i could see quite a few boxers bad at sports for various reasons. i don't really consider soccer players in the top tier of athletes, maybe 2nd/3rd tier.

people who say track and shit don't account for coordinated ability with hands/feet which IMO is a big part of being athletic. a lot of those dudes are really bad at sports.

Budadiiii
09-10-2014, 08:53 AM
i think basketball players are generally the most athletic. i'd go boxers over soccer players but i could see quite a few boxers bad at sports for various reasons. i don't really consider soccer players in the top tier of athletes, maybe 2nd/3rd tier.

people who say track and shit don't account for coordinated ability with hands/feet which IMO is a big part of being athletic. a lot of those dudes are really bad at sports.
They can't catch or throw and have no spatial awareness, and these n*ggas wanna be considered athletes? :oldlol:

Soccer players are 100x more athletic than these boxing clowns who mastered punching and ducking. Anyone can have endurance and strength, not anyone can handle a soccer ball and weave around the field while also having godly stamina, foot eye coordination, speed, strength, etc

iamgine
09-10-2014, 08:59 AM
lets see...

http://www.marikikka.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/ronaldo-obeso.jpg

vs

http://knockoutnation.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/butterbean-knocks-out-bart-gunn.jpg

BurningHammer
09-10-2014, 11:13 AM
Decathletes

http://www.5thquartermag.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/ashton_eaton_usa.jpg
The most under-appreciated sport ever. :applause:

~primetime~
09-10-2014, 11:58 AM
If I had to list the greatest athletic specimens in the world right now it would go like:

1. LeBron James
2. Calvin Johnson
3. Adrian Peterson