PDA

View Full Version : Had EA improved on Live 10 they wouldn't be in the predicament they're in now

theoneneo
09-11-2014, 08:00 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9NASp_BFjA

Game was good, wasn't better than 2k, but they were on the way to at least winning back some fans. Then the horror known as Nba elite 11 happened:facepalm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJwXBw86g30

Hopeful than Nba live 15 puts them back on the right track. It's needed for competition for Live to be good or as good as 2k, or else 2k devs slack and give us shiiite(2k14)

kennethgriffin
09-11-2014, 08:06 PM
nba live 10 was great. my favorite game online by far. smooth as ****. no lag.

1987_Lakers
09-11-2014, 08:08 PM
rofl, I forgot about the jesus Bynum. Wasn't elite 11 so bad that EA decided to stop selling it?

Smook A.
09-11-2014, 08:09 PM
NBA Live 15 looks like it made a big improvement from Live 14, but it's still not close to NBA 2k's gameplay and graphics.

HylianNightmare
09-11-2014, 08:12 PM
Loved live 10 magic were good as hell

Young X
09-11-2014, 08:12 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJwXBw86g30I remember this :roll: :roll: :roll:

Im so nba'd out
09-11-2014, 08:13 PM
Live hasn't been good since like 04 foh....2k for mines

Rake2204
09-11-2014, 08:23 PM
I forget exactly what happened between Live 10 and Live 11. Did they try to implement real time physics, which in turn resulted in awful body-to-body interactions and insane animations and outcomes that made no sense?

I've been a 2K guy since 2K2 but I admit I enjoyed the Live demos prior to '11. I liked the shootaround in the practice gym. I didn't like it better than 2K, of course, but it at least had potential and served as a worthy alternative. Then Jesus Bynum and company changed everything.

Mr Exlax
09-11-2014, 08:27 PM
Been saying it for years now

Replay32
09-11-2014, 10:03 PM
NBA Live. LMAO

ILLsmak
09-11-2014, 10:11 PM
I forget exactly what happened between Live 10 and Live 11. Did they try to implement real time physics, which in turn resulted in awful body-to-body interactions and insane animations and outcomes that made no sense?

I've been a 2K guy since 2K2 but I admit I enjoyed the Live demos prior to '11. I liked the shootaround in the practice gym. I didn't like it better than 2K, of course, but it at least had potential and served as a worthy alternative. Then Jesus Bynum and company changed everything.

They totally changed the game. Live 10 was a good game, for sure. It had issues like every game did, but in the same way with Live 07, I could tell by looking at the new game play that it was terrible.

They wanted to make it more of a true skill based game. I guess to go the opposite of 2k, which is more of a understand the coding and exploit it (although this year it sounds like they are finally adding in the ability to make shots no matter what.)

And it just sucked. I played the demo, it was bad. Live 10 was getting close to a really good game. By now, they would have a better game than 2k, I think. Especially in terms of online play. To see, player vs player, who is more skilled at basketball, I believe Live emulated that better. There is just too much garbage in 2k at higher levels.

-Smak

sportjames23
09-11-2014, 10:17 PM
2K been >>>> Live since it first came out on the Dreamcast. It's only got worse for Live in recent years as 2k has buried it.

If only 2K had the NFL license again...

SamuraiSWISH
09-11-2014, 10:24 PM
NBA Live 2010 might be my favorite basketball game. I always preferred EA's models for the players. They're longer than they are bulky, just like in real life. I loved the inclusion of international teams, and signature player movements. It's a simulation that still retains it's fun essence.

Haymaker
09-11-2014, 10:30 PM
2K been >>>> Live since it first came out on the Dreamcast. .

This. Even the early 2K versions were more fun to play than any NBA Live.

ballinhun8
09-11-2014, 10:41 PM
Last Live I played was 2001 with Garnett on the cover. Since them they have been very bad. Although NBA street was always hella fun to play with.

Still, come on, 2K11 is the GOAT bball game. Maybe GOAT sports game.

JohnFreeman
09-11-2014, 10:42 PM
2k11 da GOAT

SavageMode
09-11-2014, 10:42 PM
NBA Live was a legendary game.

Truly a game where the average basketball fan with an xbox 360 or a ps3 could just pick it up and play.

NBA 2k is too complex and comes off as nerdy to the non-gamer and it took the fun away from it.

I remember playing NBA Live 2010 online 5v5, most definitely the funniest and entertaining video game I've played especially with the trolls and overreactions.

Collie
09-11-2014, 11:15 PM
2k11 da GOAT

GOAT cover, GOAT on the cover, GOAT sports game.

Can any game be more based? They should have retired the 2k series after that one.

SamuraiSWISH
09-11-2014, 11:19 PM
NBA Live was a legendary game.

Truly a game where the average basketball fan with an xbox 360 or a ps3 could just pick it up and play.
I'm a hardcore fan of basketball and I prefer live because of this:

NBA 2k is too complex
To the point it is needlessly complicated.

JohnFreeman
09-11-2014, 11:22 PM

Can any game be more based? They should have retired the 2k series after that one.
They should just make a HD 2k11 and rebrand it as 2k15

Rake2204
09-11-2014, 11:24 PM
Last Live I played was 2001 with Garnett on the cover. Since them they have been very bad. Although NBA street was always hella fun to play with.

Still, come on, 2K11 is the GOAT bball game. Maybe GOAT sports game.I think my last NBA Live was 2002. My friend had a PS2 before I did so he'd bring it over and we'd try out different games. We thought Live '02 would be awesome since Live was the NBA game since the mid-90's. I remember the backboard shaking violently on standard dunks and overall we were quite disappointed. I coerced him to buy NBA 2K2 the winter of 01-02 just to try something different and we never looked back.

That said, like you, I thought NBA Street was incredible. Coincidentally, it actually reminds me of 9/11, since it came out just a few months prior and we played the crap out of that thing during the Fall season that year, both before and after the attacks. We always found it eerie that the Twin Towers could be seen on the loading or menu screen in the background.

Collie
09-11-2014, 11:28 PM
On a related note, NBA Live 95 was my first real basketball game on the SNES as a kid. Glen Rice was ****ing unreal in that game, dude shot like 80% from three.

Rake2204
09-11-2014, 11:38 PM
On a related note, NBA Live 95 was my first real basketball game on the SNES as a kid. Glen Rice was ****ing unreal in that game, dude shot like 80% from three.Always envied my friend with Live '95. I was stuck with NBA Showdown '94 for two years (until Live '96 came out). Got my money's worth though. Shattering backboards and signature dunk packages were legit. Bummer Live didn't bring them along.

http://www.vizzed.com/videogames/gen/screenshot/NBA%20Showdown%20'94-1.png

SavageMode
09-12-2014, 12:47 AM

Same, I'm getting NBA Live 15 when it comes drops in October, IDC if it's simple or bad, I'm ready for the nostalgia and simple yet elegant play.

I'm excited.

Heavincent
09-12-2014, 12:51 AM

If anything, 2K needs to be more realistic and complex. It's supposed to be a basketball sim, not some pick up and play arcade game.

Cavalier
09-12-2014, 01:13 AM
Bynum Jesus one of the GOAT game glitches.:lol :applause: :bowdown:

To4
09-12-2014, 01:15 AM

Honestly I am still rocking the NBA 2k11. Still playing it right now. GOAT NBA 2k! I just hope modders won't stop updating new stuff.:rockon:

ballinhun8
09-12-2014, 01:54 AM
Always envied my friend with Live '95. I was stuck with NBA Showdown '94 for two years (until Live '96 came out). Got my money's worth though. Shattering backboards and signature dunk packages were legit. Bummer Live didn't bring them along.

http://www.vizzed.com/videogames/gen/screenshot/NBA%20Showdown%20'94-1.png

My dude. NBA live 97 with Richmond on the cover is probably my favorite non NBA 2k game. Along with Barkley Shut Up and Jam I seriously didn't stop playing either for summers at a time.

Memories. Gonna start crying now,
http://www.gamefabrique.com/storage/screenshots/snes/barkley-shut-up-and-jam-02.png

Rake2204
09-12-2014, 02:26 AM
My dude. NBA live 97 with Richmond on the cover is probably my favorite non NBA 2k game. Along with Barkley Shut Up and Jam I seriously didn't stop playing either for summers at a time.

Memories. Gonna start crying now,
http://www.gamefabrique.com/storage/screenshots/snes/barkley-shut-up-and-jam-02.pngDid Shut Up and Jam have anything to it? Aside from NBA Jam I didn't really mess with those arcade basketball endeavors. I remember downloading them en masse to an emulator a few years ago but they mostly seemed pretty terrible, though it was tough to get a good feel using my keyboard.

Here's another.

http://www.texturemonkey.com/HCG/blog/combatBasketball_(12).gif

MiseryCityTexas
09-12-2014, 03:13 AM
2k11 da GOAT

11, 12, and 13 were all great 2k games. 70s Bucks Kareem was unstoppable in 2k12. Once you figure out his skyhook move, and combine them with setting him up with inside plays, he could get you 40 to 50 points easily. I was pissed when they took Kareem and Doctor J out of 2k13. They were both fun to use in 2k12 when you mastered their signature moves.

MiseryCityTexas
09-12-2014, 03:21 AM
I think my last NBA Live was 2002. My friend had a PS2 before I did so he'd bring it over and we'd try out different games. We thought Live '02 would be awesome since Live was the NBA game since the mid-90's. I remember the backboard shaking violently on standard dunks and overall we were quite disappointed. I coerced him to buy NBA 2K2 the winter of 01-02 just to try something different and we never looked back.

That said, like you, I thought NBA Street was incredible. Coincidentally, it actually reminds me of 9/11, since it came out just a few months prior and we played the crap out of that thing during the Fall season that year, both before and after the attacks. We always found it eerie that the Twin Towers could be seen on the loading or menu screen in the background.

Live 2004 was the last good NBA Live game. It actually felt like I was playing a basketball game. It was a basketball simulation game, with traditional Live elements mixed in. It was like Live was trying so hard to be like 2k when Live 2004 came out, but people still gave 2k the edge that year when they both dropped great basketball games.

Collie
09-12-2014, 03:59 AM
Did Shut Up and Jam have anything to it? Aside from NBA Jam I didn't really mess with those arcade basketball endeavors. I remember downloading them en masse to an emulator a few years ago but they mostly seemed pretty terrible, though it was tough to get a good feel using my keyboard.

Here's another.

http://www.texturemonkey.com/HCG/blog/combatBasketball_(12).gif

It did have a "sequel" though.

:oldlol:

http://www.talesofgames.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/barkley1_screenshot_13.png

FKAri
09-12-2014, 04:32 AM
I find basketball video games pretty boring.

HomieWeMajor
09-12-2014, 05:57 AM
I still play NBA Live 05 online with Lebron23 on our old PCs

Dr Hawk
09-12-2014, 06:24 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJwXBw86g30

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Rake2204
09-12-2014, 09:50 AM
Live 2004 was the last good NBA Live game. It actually felt like I was playing a basketball game. It was a basketball simulation game, with traditional Live elements mixed in. It was like Live was trying so hard to be like 2k when Live 2004 came out, but people still gave 2k the edge that year when they both dropped great basketball games.Interestingly, 2004 was the year NBA 2K tried to emulate NBA Live in some fashions. Live had an absolute stranglehold on the market so once they introduced some street elements ("Freestyle" control), 2K veered a little from their simulation mission and tried to measure up a little.

It was awful. 2K rebranded their game as ESPN NBA Basketball 2004 and suddenly, blocked shots had vapor trails and everyone could dunk like Vince Carter (and Vince Carter could dunk like he was in Space Jam). Here's what Chauncey could do on default settings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8tY6227rD0

Took years for 2K to fully recover and get back on track. For one, their dunking - which was just about perfect in 2K2 and 2K3 - never returned to normal until the next generation (2K's dunks through the years: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJQ1Aa1-HXE).

nightprowler10
09-12-2014, 10:26 AM
Live 2000 was the last good EA game I played (Duncan on the cover and they brought MJ back) but I didn't play another Live game until I had a PS2 in 2005 with Melo on the cover and I didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much. My next purchase was NBA 2K7 (I bought it for 10 bucks at gamestop) and from then on I was hooked on to the 2K franchise. I bought 2K9, 10, 11, and 12 and I think I'll buy 2K15. 2K11 and 12 were by far the best of the bunch.

Big Cheese
09-12-2014, 11:33 AM
The problem was that EA sports no longer had the rights to use the live 10 engine when Mike Wang, their lead game-play designer left for 2k, so EA had to build a brand new basketball game from the ground up in a year, which resulted in the disastrous nba elite 11.

However, there was no excuse to release such trash when they were taking 2-3 years off.

ILLsmak
09-13-2014, 07:07 AM
I don't think any of the dudes who say Live is ass ever played competitively. Live is def ass if you are playing season mode, though. Just like 2k, in many years, was ridiculous ass competitively.

I didn't really play ball online til 04-05. Was live 05, live 06, 2k7, 2k8, Live 09, Live 10, Live 10 (Stayed with live 10), 2k...

I dunno. all I can say is dudes need to play online. Find a good community cuz it's out there. There is really nothing more fun. I had the most fun in Live 06, 2k7, and Live 09, but I can respect 10 as a very solid foundation for years to come. The issue is they took out the club mode in 10. Kinda like 2k took out the crew mode, it's like why?

Ever since I tried to play 2k7 seriously and saw what it was like in the top 20 on PS2 (basically dudes would pick the Rockets, put in Deke and Yao and throw full court passes to Tmac every time, dunking.) I was like yo... this shit. Live had cheesy shit, too, but you could stomp it out. 2k, with its 'beautiful animations' made it harder... until lately. 2k14 is a good game when it comes to stopping cheese, but they have a lot of bail outs for when you force someone to shoot a 9 foot jumper when they were trying to dunk and they wet it.

Now, if whoever made this thread is talking about Live 10 franchise mode, I take it back.

-Smak

MiseryCityTexas
09-13-2014, 09:01 AM
Live 2000 was the last good EA game I played (Duncan on the cover and they brought MJ back) but I didn't play another Live game until I had a PS2 in 2005 with Melo on the cover and I didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much. My next purchase was NBA 2K7 (I bought it for 10 bucks at gamestop) and from then on I was hooked on to the 2K franchise. I bought 2K9, 10, 11, and 12 and I think I'll buy 2K15. 2K11 and 12 were by far the best of the bunch.

Yeah Live 2000 was the greatest live of all time. Willis Reed, Reggie Miller. Jordan. and Rick Barry were ****ing unstoppable in that game.

miles berg
09-13-2014, 10:08 AM
Always preferred NBA Live.

Rake2204
09-13-2014, 10:22 AM
I don't think any of the dudes who say Live is ass ever played competitively. Live is def ass if you are playing season mode, though. Just like 2k, in many years, was ridiculous ass competitively.

I didn't really play ball online til 04-05. Was live 05, live 06, 2k7, 2k8, Live 09, Live 10, Live 10 (Stayed with live 10), 2k...

I dunno. all I can say is dudes need to play online. Find a good community cuz it's out there. There is really nothing more fun. I had the most fun in Live 06, 2k7, and Live 09, but I can respect 10 as a very solid foundation for years to come. The issue is they took out the club mode in 10. Kinda like 2k took out the crew mode, it's like why?

Ever since I tried to play 2k7 seriously and saw what it was like in the top 20 on PS2 (basically dudes would pick the Rockets, put in Deke and Yao and throw full court passes to Tmac every time, dunking.) I was like yo... this shit. Live had cheesy shit, too, but you could stomp it out. 2k, with its 'beautiful animations' made it harder... until lately. 2k14 is a good game when it comes to stopping cheese, but they have a lot of bail outs for when you force someone to shoot a 9 foot jumper when they were trying to dunk and they wet it.

Now, if whoever made this thread is talking about Live 10 franchise mode, I take it back.

-SmakYeah I think that could be a big divider between game preference. I have virtually zero interest in competitive online gaming. I find it a bit stressful and overall, it is just a flat out unenjoyable experience for me. I like my gaming to be a chance to relax and play on my own terms, or with a friend or family member. As such, I've been drawn to NBA games that best replicated the real life NBA game as opposed to the ones that most suited online head-to-heads.

ballinhun8
09-13-2014, 12:12 PM
Playing 2k against a friend, at their home or yours, is what makes 2k the best IMO. No exploitation, no lag, just you two going against each other in a simulation most realistic to the product.

I will agree with Smak that 2k has sucked online since about 2k10. They haven't figured it out yet. I haven't tried it on the next gen but hopefully they improved. But Live I never had the chance to play o line. I stopped with 2001 like I previously said and pledged my allegiance to 2k.

But just a question. Doesnt 2k automatically lower the game play difficutly online? Like its not at superstar difficulty, but the tier below it? I believe madden does the same. You have to play All Pro online instead of All Madden.

SamuraiSWISH
09-13-2014, 02:59 PM
Interestingly, 2004 was the year NBA 2K tried to emulate NBA Live in some fashions.
And Live 2004 that year was more simulation like NBA 2k1, NBA 2k2, and NBA 2k3. It was an interesting role reversal.

It was awful. 2K rebranded their game as ESPN NBA Basketball 2004 and suddenly, blocked shots had vapor trails and everyone could dunk like Vince Carter (and Vince Carter could dunk like he was in Space Jam).
That entire era where 2k rebranded all their games to "ESPN" made all their games really cartoonish. Terrible. But they did have awesome commercials with Tracy Morgan and Ben Wallace:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaNePyiSIJ8

Took years for 2K to fully recover and get back on track. For one, their dunking - which was just about perfect in 2K2 and 2K3 - never returned to normal until the next generation
Yea, their physics didn't get back on point until 2009 on 360/PS3. 2k1 - 2k3 it was all perfect though.

Live got their shit together starting late in 2008 - 2010 though, but then it all fell apart shortly after that.

Since Dreamcast in 2000, these have been IMO, yearly the best basketball games on the market.

2k1
2k2
NBA Inside Drive 2003
Live 2004
Live 2005
Live 2006
Live 2007
2k8
2k9 / Live 2009
2k10 / Live 2010
2k11
2k12
2k13
2k14

Live IMO is usually better than 2k because they were simulations, that still retained the fun essence of basketball, and weren't needlessly complicated like the next generation NBA 2k games. Inside Drive 2003 was a slept on basketball game.

MiseryCityTexas
09-13-2014, 04:51 PM
I wish like hell that 2k would put Rick Barry's championship Golden State Warriors teams in the game. It would be fun as hell using Rick Barry, Butch Beard, Charlie Johnson, Clifford Ray, Jeff Mullins and Jamal Wilkes in a 2k game.

Lol NBA Live 2003 was garbage, but I admit Live 2003 was still fun to play for a wack ass basketball game. NBA Live 2003 was basically just a 5 on 5 version of NBA Jam.

DirkNowitzki41
09-13-2014, 10:29 PM
2k is too beast right now. EA is done