PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys think Denzel Washington really deserved his 2001 Oscar?

NBAplayoffs2001
09-12-2014, 10:53 PM
I thought Will Smith in Ali was a much better display of a versatile performance as an actor. IMO it was Will Smith's best film in terms of acting.

Tarik One
09-12-2014, 11:08 PM
I thought Will Smith in Ali was a much better display of a versatile performance as an actor. IMO it was Will Smith's best film in terms of acting.
Will Smith was average at best.

You clearly don't know very much about great or even good acting.

For the record, Denzel won because he was passed over in previous years. Same as Pacino, Morgan Freeman, and others

DonDadda59
09-12-2014, 11:19 PM

For the record, Denzel won because he was passed over in previous years. Same as Pacino, Morgan Freeman, and others

Bingo. It was a makeup for him being robbed in '92 when he played Malcolm X to perfection (ironically lost it to Pacino in another makeup win). Same thing as Scorsese winning for the Departed when that might not even be a top 10 film from him. All Oscar politics. DiCaprio will get his makeup sooner or later.

NumberSix
09-12-2014, 11:24 PM
Does anyone actually care about awards?

NBAplayoffs2001
09-12-2014, 11:37 PM

I guess we have our opinions. I thought Ali was a brilliantly done movie. A little too long for my tasting but I felt Will Smith was the best actor to try to show how Muhammad Ali really was (however, I do agree that no black actor has the charisma Ali had IMO, at least in this generation).

Lebron23
09-13-2014, 01:55 PM
Malcolm X was his best acting performance. I think Will Smith might win an Oscar if he just picks serious movies.

SunsN07BookIt
09-13-2014, 02:05 PM
Russell Crowe should have won that one. Denzel is a fantastic actor, but I'm not even sure he should have been nominated for Training Day.

Smoke117
09-13-2014, 02:13 PM
No. It was a scene chewing role, but there little depth to it. Kurt Russell played a similar role in Dark Blue, but the character was much more complex and he didn't even get nominated? :confusedshrug:

L.Kizzle
09-13-2014, 03:41 PM
Devil in a Blue Dress.

eliteballer
09-13-2014, 04:01 PM
He just played the same character he plays in every movie.

Kblaze8855
09-14-2014, 10:01 AM
He just played the same character he plays in every movie.

Except the Preachers Wife, Glory, Mo Better blues, Philadelphia, American Gangster, He got Game, Malcolm X, Book of Eli, and Remember the titans...and others.

Denzel plays a similar character in Training day and Man on fire. And probably this recent one which look like....man on fire. A couple of the ones where he was a smarter than average veteran detective....I think De Ja Cu and Inside man...similar role.

But hes far from always the same. Really...how similar were Malcolm X and the Preachers wife?

Hes often a stern character with a bit of humor...but that doesnt make all the characters the same. A dual machete wielding bible fanatic isnt exactly the same as a gay hating lawyer just because both are filmed sitting in quiet reflection at times...

dunksby
09-14-2014, 12:09 PM
Shit Denzel does with a commercial plane is the envy of all jet fighter pilots.