PDA

View Full Version : Kyrie once again takes alpha role on big stage

JtotheIzzo
09-14-2014, 10:08 PM
Its time we really reassess his standing in this league.

If Kevin Love can stand between his man and the hoop 70% of the time Cavs will roll.

Looks like Bran found his alpha dog.

RRR3
09-14-2014, 10:11 PM
LeBron is his own "alpha dog" because in case you haven't noticed he's at worst the second best player in the world and probably first, and was definitely first for about 5 years. Him taking a backseat to an player whose greatest strength (scoring) is still considerably weaker than his own scoring ability would be asinine.

chazzy
09-14-2014, 10:15 PM
LeBron is his own "alpha dog" because in case you haven't noticed he's at worst the second best player in the world and probably first, and was definitely first for about 5 years. Him taking a backseat to an player whose greatest strength (scoring) is still considerably weaker than his own scoring ability would be asinine.
chill

stalkerforlife
09-14-2014, 10:19 PM
Cavs are more stacked than the Heat were.

IGOTGAME
09-14-2014, 10:36 PM
Kyrie is a big time shot maker. People will realize this soon enough.

Ultimately Bron will get credit for everything he does tho. Kyrie is a top 5 talent in this league.

Natureland
09-14-2014, 10:36 PM
Well...shit. :lol

JtotheIzzo
09-14-2014, 10:39 PM

Bran is the best player in the world, and the GOAT when it comes to aligning himself with great teammates.

He caught Wade at a stage of his peak, and now he is catching Kyrie as he ascends up the ranks, smart guy that Bran.

RRR3
09-14-2014, 10:43 PM
Don't insult Wade by comparing Kyrie to him. :coleman:

Love is the big star LeBron desired Kyrie is akin to Bosh here.

chazzy
09-14-2014, 10:44 PM

3rd option is the MVP of the WORLD? :lebronamazed:

JtotheIzzo
09-14-2014, 10:45 PM

Not a chance, Kyrie has just taken the conk too many times recently, he is better than Love.

Love is the corner 3 guy, Kyrie is the other wing option.

Confused as to why you don't see that.

RRR3
09-14-2014, 10:49 PM
Love has produced significantly better than Kyrie in his career. :confusedshrug:

Also, if any of you could think the least bit logically , the Cavaliers having LeBron+ 2 other stars doesn't make them "zomg da mos stacked eva". Their defense looks like it will be horrendous, I'm unimpressed by their
depth, and just because 3 players are great on their own doesn't mean they will work well together.

SouBeachTalents
09-14-2014, 10:52 PM
Love has produced significantly better than Kyrie in his career. :confusedshrug:

Also, if any of you could think the least bit logically , the Cavaliers having LeBron+ 2 other stars doesn't make them "zomg da mos stacked eva". Their defense looks like it will be horrendous, I'm unimpressed by their
depth, and just because 3 players are great on their own doesn't mean they will work well together.

Amazing how after the last 4 seasons of watching the Heat people still haven't figured this out

RRR3
09-14-2014, 10:55 PM
Amazing how after the last 4 seasons of watching the Heat people still haven't figured this out
Exactly. Just think how many rings Amare Nash and Marion won together.

shallehalle
09-14-2014, 10:56 PM
4 finals appearances and 2 championships

SouBeachTalents
09-14-2014, 10:58 PM
4 finals appearances and 2 championships

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/MIA/2013.html#all_playoffs_per_game

http://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/NBA_2014_finals.html

jlip
09-14-2014, 11:17 PM
If by "big stage" you mean any game that is not a real NBA playoff game of any sort then I guess you are correct.

Cocaine80s
09-14-2014, 11:44 PM
Prime Kyrie will be like 2011 Wade with a jumper :bowdown:
Kevin Love is the best or atleast top 3 pf in the game :applause:

Lebron planned this all out since 2010 :roll: dude is a freaking genius

RedBlackAttack
09-15-2014, 12:07 AM

Kyrie was 21 for the vast majority of last season. :oldlol:

I still feel like people either choose to ignore or don't understand how young this guy is. He was the youngest starting point guard in the entire NBA at the start of last season.

RRR3
09-15-2014, 12:08 AM
Kyrie was 21 for the vast majority of last season. :oldlol:

I still feel like people either choose to ignore or don't understand how young this guy is. He was the youngest starting point guard in the entire NBA at the start of last season.
Kyrie is a beast don't get me wrong. Just saying Love is better atm

andremiller07
09-15-2014, 12:10 AM
I have been a Kyrie Irving "semi-hater" for a while now, but he was super impressive in this tourny. He had probs the best chemistry with Cuz out of any PG I have ever seen him play with as well which is somewhat intriguing to me down the line.

Kyrie was super impressive no doubt big props.

Brokenbeat
09-15-2014, 12:13 AM
Kyrie is a beast don't get me wrong. Just saying Love is better atm

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1720529/jaguars-fan-gif.gif

RedBlackAttack
09-15-2014, 12:14 AM
My sentiments exactly. :oldlol:

RRR3
09-15-2014, 12:17 AM
Wait I can't say Kevin Love is better than Kyrie? Seriously?

Real14
09-15-2014, 12:22 AM
Cavs are more stacked than the Heat were.
Just about.

Brokenbeat
09-15-2014, 12:22 AM

Of course you can, but that's not what you said, lol.

You're seriously comparing their careers? Seriously? :hammerhead:

RRR3
09-15-2014, 12:23 AM
Yeah, dumb comment on my part sorry.

RedBlackAttack
09-15-2014, 12:28 AM
It's not what you said, it's how you said it. Had you phrased it something like, "Love, who is entering his prime, is currently a better player than the 22-year-old Kyrie Irving."

But, saying that the reason Love is "better" than Kyrie is because he has "produced better," without bothering to mention that they're in completely different phases of their respective NBA careers? I think that was a bit misleading.

We still don't know how good Kyrie Irving can become. He has never played on a team with remotely proper spacing. He simply hasn't been in the league long enough to make an accurate comparison to a firmly established player who just finished his sixth season.

Look, I hope Kyrie, Love and LeBron are all equally awesome... Dion Waiters, too, who doesn't get near enough discussion, imo. It doesn't really make a difference to me what order these guys fall in the grand scheme. If they turn into a great team, why should it matter so much who is taking on what role?

EDIT:

Yeah, dumb comment on my part sorry.

Fair enough.

RedBlackAttack
09-15-2014, 12:30 AM
http://i.imgur.com/RQ0Vc7U.gif

:eek:

RRR3
09-15-2014, 12:31 AM
I hope you guys have success. Only team I ever truly cheered for (as a team not because they had a player I liked) is STL Cardinals, so I'm not familiar with rooting for a team that never wins. I still feel inclined to root for the Heat though, I had fun watching them. Only problem is I'm not sure I can cheer against LeBron lol

JohnFreeman
09-15-2014, 12:35 AM
Let's hope he doesn't shit the bed come playoff time.

RedBlackAttack
09-15-2014, 12:39 AM
I hope you guys have success. Only team I ever truly cheered for (as a team not because they had a player I liked) is STL Cardinals, so I'm not familiar with rooting for a team that never wins. I still feel inclined to root for the Heat though, I had fun watching them. Only problem is I'm not sure I can cheer against LeBron lol
There's something to be said for sticking with a team through a rebuild. I had as much fun watching the Cavs transform their roster into what it was just before the James signing as I did when he was winning 60+ games here.

Getting really into the drafts and the different prospects who may be available and then watching those prospects grow early in their NBA careers... that's a part of being a fan of the NBA that I feel the people who don't have a team and just pick specific established players to root for never get to appreciate.

Do yourself a favor... stick with the Heat, even if things don't go according to plan. It will make the eventual winning much sweeter.

red1
09-15-2014, 12:40 AM
Let's hope he doesn't shit the bed come playoff time.
Unlikely. This kid is ice-cold. The anti-mo williams if you will.

RRR3
09-15-2014, 12:42 AM
I plan to try and stick with Miami. But I can't deny I don't still want to see Lebron get one more ring.

Real14
09-15-2014, 12:49 AM
Unlikely. This kid is ice-cold. The anti-mo williams if you will.
I think that cavs mo williams is underrated. He had a few bad playoff games but so did Lebron especially in 2010 when Lebron acted like he had a shoulder injury against the celtics.

SouBeachTalents
09-15-2014, 12:52 AM
I think that cavs mo williams is underrated. He had a few bad playoff games but so did Lebron especially in 2010 when Lebron acted like he had a shoulder injury against the celtics.

15 & 5 on 41% in the playoffs is underrated? I bet if Carmelo was getting that production from his PG you wouldn't be saying that

red1
09-15-2014, 12:53 AM
He was great in the regular season and early rounds in the playoffs but struggled when it mattered most two consecutive years. He bricked a ton of open shots in the orlando series, shots easier than the ones he made all season. You can't pin a series loss on one player but you have to admit that mo is an easy target.

Real14
09-15-2014, 12:56 AM
15 & 5 on 41% in the playoffs is underrated? I bet if Carmelo was getting that production from his PG you wouldn't be saying that
Some Point guards on other championships teams did worse than that.

TheMarkMadsen
09-15-2014, 12:57 AM
He's the most skilled guard in the league behind Kobe & Cp3

Real14
09-15-2014, 12:59 AM
He was great in the regular season and early rounds in the playoffs but struggled when it mattered most two consecutive years. He bricked a ton of open shots in the orlando series, shots easier than the ones he made all season. You can't pin a series loss on one player but you have to admit that mo is an easy target.
Yea he could of done better but the leader still has to be a better leader and put his all into it for every quarter which lebron didn't do.

red1
09-15-2014, 12:59 AM
Some Point guards on other championships teams did worse than that.
And I guarantee those players weren't 2nd option all-stars.

Yea he could of done better but the leader still has to be a better leader and put his all into it for every quarter which lebron didn't do.
:kobe:

red1
09-15-2014, 01:00 AM

RedBlackAttack
09-15-2014, 01:00 AM
He is underrated. It's not uncommon for a perimeter player's field goal percentage to drop in the post-season. In his 25 playoff games with the Cavs, Mo put up 15.4 points on 41% shooting and under 13 shots a game, with 5 assists and 3+ rebounds.

He also had some pretty nice moments on big stages. In that Game 5 against Orlando in 2009 which the Cavs won, he had 24 points and was 6-of-9 from deep.

And, in Game 6, which ended up being the final one of that ECF series, he had another good effort, with 17 points on 6-12 shooting, 5 assists, 4 rebounds and just 1 turnover.

Mo Williams was not the reason we lost that series. The problem was their stretch-4s were a nightmare for our more conventional bigs.

In the first two series that year (Detroit / Atlanta), he was very solid. He put up 15 points a game on 45% shooting and 5 assists. The Cavs swept both those series.

Then, the next year, Mo Williams was one of the only Cavs to show up in Boston for that Game 6... 22 points, 7 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals... he fought to the end.

People remember what they want to remember about Mo Williams in those two brief seasons. He was a very nice compliment to LeBron, all told.

Real14
09-15-2014, 01:01 AM
He's the most skilled guard in the league behind Kobe & Cp3
I agree. Irving can only get better, I just hope lebron dont mess up his chances.

red1
09-15-2014, 01:06 AM
He is underrated. It's not uncommon for a perimeter player's field goal percentage to drop in the post-season. In his 25 playoff games with the Cavs, Mo put up 15.4 points on 41% shooting and under 13 shots a game, with 5 assists and 3+ rebounds.

He also had some pretty nice moments on big stages. In that Game 5 against Orlando in 2009 which the Cavs won, he had 24 points and was 6-of-9 from deep.

And, in Game 6, which ended up being the final one of that ECF series, he had another good effort, with 17 points on 6-12 shooting, 5 assists, 4 rebounds and just 1 turnover.

Mo Williams was not the reason we lost that series. The problem was their stretch-4s were a nightmare for our more conventional bigs.

In the first two series that year (Detroit / Atlanta), he was very solid. He put up 15 points a game on 45% shooting and 5 assists. The Cavs swept both those series.

Then, the next year, Mo Williams was one of the only Cavs to show up in Boston for that Game 6... 22 points, 7 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals... he fought to the end.

People remember what they want to remember about Mo Williams in those two brief seasons. He was a very nice compliment to LeBron, all told.
I respect the loyalty to your former player and you are correct when you say that he wasn't the reason for the series loss but let's be real. He was VERY underwhelming in both series. He bricked a ton of wide-open shots and got destroyed by rondo in the celtics series. It also felt like delonte was the better player in the orlando series.

Real14
09-15-2014, 01:06 AM

Yea man I remember those days. Mo williams definitely helped that team. Became an all star with them too.

RedBlackAttack
09-15-2014, 01:15 AM
I respect the loyalty to your former player and you are correct when you say that he wasn't the reason for the series loss but let's be real. He was VERY underwhelming in both series. He bricked a ton of wide-open shots and got destroyed by rondo in the celtics series. It also felt like delonte was the better player in the orlando series.
Let's be honest... everyone not named LeBron James, Delonte West and Big Z was underwhelming in that Orlando series in 2009 and everyone on the team including LeBron James was underwhelming in the 2010 Boston series.

Again, I don't feel like there was ever any surprises with Mo Wiliams' play. In general, when he got open shots, he made them in the playoffs. The problem was, the things that worked all season for that team didn't work in the playoffs where matchup problems killed the chemistry. A chemistry that, I will remind people, was fun as hell to watch for two straight regular seasons.

No single player is to blame. The system didn't hold up in the much more intense playoff atmosphere.

Now, once again, this thread is about Kyrie Irving, not Mo Williams. The only thing they have in common is that they both can shoot. Kyrie at 22 is already 100x better than Mo.

Paul George 24
09-15-2014, 07:15 AM

Ultimately Bron will get credit for everything he does tho. Kyrie is a top 5 talent in this league.

no defence no champ :banana:

red1
09-15-2014, 07:17 AM
Kyrie at 22 is already 100x better than Mo.
Now this we can agree on.

Paul George 24
09-15-2014, 07:19 AM

no,he couldn't lead a team to the playoffs yet

Paul George 24
09-15-2014, 07:21 AM
Bran is the best player in the world, and the GOAT when it comes to aligning himself with great teammates.

He caught Wade at a stage of his peak, and now he is catching Kyrie as he ascends up the ranks, smart guy that Bran.
no,he will never come close to jordan :no:

Paul George 24
09-15-2014, 07:32 AM

kyrie prove nothing yet,he and love has been in leauge 3 years,neither hv never play a playoffs game yet:facepalm

Paul George 24
09-15-2014, 07:36 AM

kyrie prove nothing yet that he is better than mo will,he and love has been in leauge for 3 years,but neither one hv ever been play a playoffs game yet:facepalm

Dragic4Life
09-15-2014, 07:38 AM
Its time we really reassess his standing in this league.

If Kevin Love can stand between his man and the hoop 70% of the time Cavs will roll.

Looks like Bran found his alpha dog.
You made this thread just to say this. Agenda-driven.

knicksman
09-15-2014, 07:52 AM

all star MVP>>kevin loves career

Hoopz2332
09-17-2014, 10:54 AM
If by "big stage" you mean any game that is not a real NBA playoff game of any sort then I guess you are correct.

:lol

Hoopz2332
09-17-2014, 10:57 AM
Prime Kyrie will be like 2011 Wade with a jumper :bowdown:

ralph_i_el
09-17-2014, 11:36 AM

:hammerhead: nope

ralph_i_el
09-17-2014, 11:37 AM
Not a chance, Kyrie has just taken the conk too many times recently, he is better than Love.

Love is the corner 3 guy, Kyrie is the other wing option.

Confused as to why you don't see that.

only 9.5% of Kevin Love's 3's came from the corners last year

Bigsmoke
09-17-2014, 11:42 AM
Love is better. The OP also gotta realised that LeBron can coexist with a player like Kevin Love a lot more so than Kyrie. Kyrie might be better 3 or 4 years from now but we are not there yet. Love was unlucky to play in the West without the most talent around him

ArbitraryWater
09-17-2014, 12:36 PM

:facepalm

Mo Williams, LeBron's sidekick:

Games 1-4: 23-71 32% shooting...
Entire series: 36-97 37% shooting...

Now this is LeBron's "sidekick" as the Cavaliers so proudly told us when they got him. LeBron He didn't have any real help in Cleveland and Williams has to be the worst 2nd option on a 1st seed, ever.

DukeDelonte13
09-17-2014, 12:52 PM
:facepalm

Mo Williams, LeBron's sidekick:

Games 1-4: 23-71 32% shooting...
Entire series: 36-97 37% shooting...

Now this is LeBron's "sidekick" as the Cavaliers so proudly told us when they got him. LeBron He didn't have any real help in Cleveland and Williams has to be the worst 2nd option on a 1st seed, ever.

nobody proclaimed him to be a sidekick except morons like you.. he just happened to score 17 ppg on decent percentages. He choked in the playoffs in 2009-2010.

Delonte West and Andy V. were more valuable to those cavs teams than Mo.

Eric Cartman
09-17-2014, 01:28 PM

I came.

D-Wait
09-17-2014, 05:43 PM

:bowdown:

TheReal Kendall
09-17-2014, 05:59 PM

He's carrying :facepalm

Also nobody takes the all-star game serious and those FIBA games were like College(USA) vs High school teams

RedBlackAttack
09-17-2014, 06:25 PM
He's carrying :facepalm

Also nobody takes the all-star game serious and those FIBA games were like College(USA) vs High school teams
Thanks for the totally useless post. Much appreciated.

TheReal Kendall
09-17-2014, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the totally useless post. Much appreciated.

So he didn't carry the ball?

ArbitraryWater
09-17-2014, 06:54 PM
nobody proclaimed him to be a sidekick except morons like you.. he just happened to score 17 ppg on decent percentages. He choked in the playoffs in 2009-2010.

Delonte West was now LeBron's sidekick?

You think you're doing yourself any favors by saying this? As if this makes it so much better :lol

(And also, you are wrong, I hope you know that... That was the so proclaimed sidekick by the media, the other guy to "step up" that LeBron would need to win it all.)

Hoopz2332
09-17-2014, 07:14 PM

Mo Williams was considered the 2nd man/sidekick on those cavs teams. Delonte did end up being better in the playoffs though.

RedBlackAttack
09-17-2014, 07:21 PM
Evaluating a team by listing their players in order of importance is an incredibly dumb way to look at basketball. I think that's the message Duke Delonte was attempting to convey.

Boris Diaw was one of the most important players on the court in the NBA Finals and he was almost completely out of the league a few years ago. Who was Dirk's "side kick" when they beat Miami in the Finals? Jason Terry?

DukeDelonte13
09-17-2014, 07:30 PM
Delonte West was now LeBron's sidekick?

You think you're doing yourself any favors by saying this? As if this makes it so much better :lol

(And also, you are wrong, I hope you know that... That was the so proclaimed sidekick by the media, the other guy to "step up" that LeBron would need to win it all.)

where do i say delonte was lebron's sidekick?