PDA

View Full Version : Could a Chris Paul and Allen Iverson backcourt work?

tgan3
09-16-2014, 10:32 PM
Lets say they are both the same ages for discussion sake.
Both of them are my favorite players to watch, and no doubt it will
be very exciting (Two of the best undersized guys in NBA history). But
can such an undersized backcourt excel? Not to mention the different playing styles. Iverson more of a relentless scorer, CP3 the floor general.

What pieces do you see need to be built around them to succeed?

JohnFreeman
09-16-2014, 10:34 PM
Two ball dominant guards rarely works

Reggie43
09-16-2014, 10:41 PM
you could disregard their sizes and that still wouldnt work

dubeta
09-16-2014, 10:52 PM
LOL so a 5'11 backcourt?

Can you imagine if they had to play the 80's Lakers with Magic and James Worthy? :oldlol:

bizil
09-16-2014, 10:53 PM
For me, the MAIN FACTOR is size! In terms of mentality, it would work GREAT if one of them was 6'4. U just need one of them to be able to defend the SG defensively. Eric Snow was 6'4 and 200 at PG so the Sixers would do a cross matchup on defense. Paul is a pass first PG so he wouldn't clash with AI in terms of shot attempts. So once again IT WOULDN'T work because of size. The perfect PG's for AI to play with during that era were guys like Payton,Kidd, or Billups.

EllEffEll
09-17-2014, 12:17 AM
LOL so a 5'11 backcourt?

Can you imagine if they had to play the 80's Lakers with Magic and James Worthy? :oldlol:

Worthy played the #3

Norm Nixon and Byron Scott played the other guard position with Magic during the 80's.

AboutBuckets
09-17-2014, 12:22 AM
Born and raised in Philly but I think AI would piss CP3 off. A lot.

SamuraiSWISH
09-17-2014, 12:22 AM
Two ball dominant guards rarely works
Myth. Iverson actually was really more active off the ball when they moved him to SG. He ran off screens, was a catch and shoot guy. Even if not very efficient with the jumper given his size at that position. Don't confuse him being asked to shoot a lot for the offensively inept Sixers for him being ball dominant player. He wasn't.

Rizko
09-17-2014, 12:47 AM
Myth. Iverson actually was really more active off the ball when they moved him to SG. He ran off screens, was a catch and shoot guy. Even if not very efficient with the jumper given his size at that position. Don't confuse him being asked to shoot a lot for the offensively inept Sixers for him being ball dominant player. He wasn't.
:applause: :applause: :applause:

I don't know where this started. People just assume that because he put up a lot of points he was a ball hog. Either that or they're remembering his Denver days & assume that's how he played in Philly.

Ai was actually one of the best off ball high scorers ever. Please don't post his usage rate either like it means anything in this discussion. That just means he finished a lot of plays with a shot attempt, an assit or a turnover. It doesn't mean he held the ball a lot

I would love 2 c a Kidd & ai backcourt. They'd need a Peja & a horry @ the forward spots & have motumbo working the glass for put backs & easy shots from Kidd. Team would be deadly

Reggie43
09-17-2014, 12:54 AM
It could work on paper, but those two huge egos playing together wouldnt even reach the allstar break before each of them tells management to trade the other guy :oldlol:

navy
09-17-2014, 12:58 AM
CP3 defers to Jamal Crawford all the time....

Jlamb47
09-17-2014, 09:12 AM
I think it work okay, even on the defensive end.

They would need a good defensive shooting 3
a 4 that can defend and space as well and a Center who can be a defensive anchor