PDA

View Full Version : Your Perfect Team

Demitri98
09-17-2014, 11:25 AM
If you could assemble the perfect basketball team for one season, taking into account offense, defense, fatigue and chemistry, who would you take? This was the team I wanted to get in the all-time draft, but there was no way that it was realistic. Most of my starting lineup were 1-3 round picks.

Starters

PG - John Stockon
SG - Michael Jordan
SF - Scottie Pippen
PF - Dirk Nowitzki
C - Bill Walton

Bench

PG - Chris Paul
SG - Brandon Roy
SF - Bruce Bowen
PF - Tim Duncan
C - Bill Russell

Reserves
Shane Battier
Kevin Garnett (Boston version)

This would be the GOAT defensive team by a landslide. I would be willing to bet they hold their opponents to <70PPG consistently.

scm5
09-17-2014, 11:41 AM
If you could assemble the perfect basketball team for one season, taking into account offense, defense, fatigue and chemistry, who would you take? This was the team I wanted to get in the all-time draft, but there was no way that it was realistic. Most of my starting lineup were 1-3 round picks.

Starters

PG - John Stockon
SG - Michael Jordan
SF - Scottie Pippen
PF - Dirk Nowitzki
C - Bill Walton

Bench

PG - Chris Paul
SG - Brandon Roy
SF - Bruce Bowen
PF - Tim Duncan
C - Bill Russell

Reserves
Shane Battier
Kevin Garnett (Boston version)

This would be the GOAT defensive team by a landslide. I would be willing to bet they hold their opponents to <70PPG consistently.

Starters:
Lebron
Jordan
Pippen
Garnett
Hakeem

Bench:
Magic
Allen
Bird
Robinson
Kareem

Reserves:
Kobe
Shaq

Starters have a huge emphasis on defense and versatility. The team would be such a beast on the fast break once they create any turnover, which should be often.

The bench would be just to blow the game open. Can you imagine Magic running the break with Allen and Bird on the wings, ready to hit a 3 if needed and the two best running bigmen streaking down the court?

I chose Kobe and Shaq as reserves because you've got the other 2 GOAT duos of all time on this team, might as well put the 3rd GOAT duo on it too.

Jlamb47
09-17-2014, 11:47 AM
Starters:
Lebron
Jordan
Pippen
Garnett
Hakeem

Bench:
Magic
Allen
Bird
Robinson
Kareem

Reserves:
Kobe
Shaq

Starters have a huge emphasis on defense and versatility. The team would be such a beast on the fast break once they create any turnover, which should be often.

The bench would be just to blow the game open. Can you imagine Magic running the break with Allen and Bird on the wings, ready to hit a 3 if needed and the two best running bigmen streaking down the court?

I chose Kobe and Shaq as reserves because you've got the other 2 GOAT duos of all time on this team, might as well put the 3rd GOAT duo on it too.

Kobe/Shaq > MAgic/KAreem

Only duo you could say was better is Pippen/MJ and i think Shaq and Kobe taking them on IMO

scm5
09-17-2014, 12:01 PM
Kobe/Shaq > MAgic/KAreem

Only duo you could say was better is Pippen/MJ and i think Shaq and Kobe taking them on IMO

GOAT = Greatness

MJ/Pippen = 6 Rings together
Magic/Kareem = 5 Rings together
Kobe/Shaq = 3 Rings together

If I were choosing the best duo of the 3, I would choose Kobe and Shaq because they have the ability to win it all with the least amount of help. I would even argue that adding another star would take too much away from their rivalry with each other that fueled their championship runs.

Lebron23
09-17-2014, 12:03 PM
2008 NBA redeem Team. I think they are the 2nd best US team of all time.

wally_world
09-17-2014, 12:11 PM
Not sure how CP3 would feel coming off the bench. And guys like Duncan/Russell are not the type that impacts the game in spurts, so not the best kind of bench players.

Taking into chemistry, ego, roles, matchups, this is the best team off the top of my head.

PG - Jerry West
SG - Michael Jordan
SF - Scottie Pippen
PF - Dirk Nowitzki
C - Bill Russell

PG - Dennis Johnson
SG - Ray Allen
G/F - Manu Ginobili
F - Dennis Rodman
PF - Kevin McHale
C - Bill Walton
PF - Robert Horry

Head Coach - Gregg Popovich

jayfan
09-17-2014, 12:15 PM
Starting five:

PG - Magic
SG - MJ
SF - Pippen
PF - Worthy
C - Hakeem

Not all my personal favorites, but who am I to argue with Michael Jordan? :confusedshrug:

Demitri98
09-17-2014, 12:37 PM
Starters:
Lebron
Jordan
Pippen
Garnett
Hakeem

Bench:
Magic
Allen
Bird
Robinson
Kareem

Reserves:
Kobe
Shaq

This team would blow up due to egos. Shaq and Kobe couldn't co-exist at 1A and 1B, what makes you think they'll accept a reserve (5-10 mpg) role?

Thorpesaurous
09-17-2014, 02:01 PM
Walton, Kareem, Hakeem
Bird, McHale
Lebron, Pippen
Jordan, Ray Allen, Sidney Moncrief (I'd consider Dennis Johnson here too).
Magic, West

Versatility. I could play any two of my three centers together because of Hakeem's defensive versatility and Walton's offensive versatility. I can play Bird or Lebron at PF or SF. I can move McHale to C to go small. Any of my 5 guards could make plays with the ball if need be. Allen, West, and Bird, can make sure the floor stays spread. Lebron, Pippen, Moncrief, and Jordan can take care of any offensive perimeter issues.

Everyone is a plus defender except Magic and Bird, both of whom are better than history reports, and Magic (who is the lesser of the two, can be moved to guard other positions).

The only two things I'm really missing that I'd like is a total pace changing guard. Someone like Westbrook, or Derek Rose, or Kevin Johnson, or Isiah (Any of whom could take the Moncrief/DJ spot). A PG who will run my guys agressively, and breakdown even the best perimeter defenders.
And a plus plus end changer at PF to just fill lanes run with my team. I'd consider Kemp, young Amare, Barkley (but he's a little too ball dominant), even Karl Malone who was great end to end even though it didn't look quite as dynamic. Or old timers like Elgin or Connie Hawkins.

SHAQisGOAT
09-17-2014, 02:02 PM
Magic
Jordan
Bird
Duncan
Kareem

game over

russwest0
09-17-2014, 02:07 PM
payton
jordan
durant
duncan
hakeem

Jlamb47
09-17-2014, 02:10 PM
Lebron
Kobe
Durant
Garnett
Duncan

jzek
09-17-2014, 02:29 PM
Magic - tall, unmatched court vision, extremely unselfish
Jordan - GOAT (every other so-called GOAT [like Kobe] is compared to Jordan whereas Jordan is not compared to anybody)
Bird - outstanding shooter, ice in his veins (otherwise LeBron would be in this list)
Duncan - tall, rapes other PFs
Olajuwon - can beat you inside and outside unlike other centers

pauk
09-17-2014, 02:40 PM
Starters

PG - LeBron James
SG - Michael Jordan
SF - Scottie Pippen
PF - Kevin Garnett
C - Hakeem Olajuwon

Bench

PG - Gary Payton
SG - Kobe Bryant
SF - John Havlicek
PF - Tim Duncan
C - Wilt Chamberlain

Reserves
Jerry West
David Robinson

Every single player here is essentially as good offensively as defensively.... how good? Elite good, some of them GOAT good on both ends.