PDA

View Full Version : Game 5 1987 ECF on NBATV now

sportjames23
09-18-2014, 03:36 PM
Detroit vs Boston

This is the game where Bird stole the ball and got it to Dennis Johnson for the game-winning basket.

Probably my favorite playoff series of all time. Yes, even over any of my Bulls playoff series. This is the series where Parrish got away with two-piecing Laimbeer, and Bird got ejected for slamming the ball in Laimbeer's grill.

SHAQisGOAT
09-18-2014, 03:45 PM
Oe of my favorite series ever. Physical as hell, they hated eachother, very exciting and close, great moments, lots of great players.

Rake2204
09-18-2014, 04:09 PM
I have never seen this series in full (I was three years old when it originally occurred). Still kind of tough for me to watch games when I know the outcome is ultimately not going to be in Detroit's favor. Though, without this loss, I wonder if Detroit's hunger would have provided what they needed to win in '89.

sportjames23
09-19-2014, 07:24 AM
I have never seen this series in full (I was three years old when it originally occurred). Still kind of tough for me to watch games when I know the outcome is ultimately not going to be in Detroit's favor. Though, without this loss, I wonder if Detroit's hunger would have provided what they needed to win in '89.

This series made me a fan of Bird and those Celtics. I hated the Celtics (being a fan of Magic's Showtime Lakers, who got me interested in basketball), but cheered for them in the 1986 Finals after Houston stunned L.A. But this series against the Pistons in 1987 got me into respecting Bird, McHale and the rest of that crew.

Of course, being a Bulls fan, I learned to hate Detroit starting the season after this one. :D

Still respect Detroit for what they accomplished in the late 80s doe. :cheers: