PDA

View Full Version : Kobe as PG 2014-2015 season

SwayDizzle
09-18-2014, 04:37 PM
I reckon Kobe adapts his game to more of a PG role this season.

Thoughts on effectiveness? FG%?

KobesFinger
09-18-2014, 04:50 PM
He'd be as bad as Nash on D. If he's not playing SG he should play SF not point

Real Men Wear Green
09-18-2014, 04:53 PM
They have Nash (who I grant you may not play much due to injury) and Lin. Why would they take one of the 3 best SGs of all time near the end of his career and try to turn him into a point guard? It's way too late for reinvention and it doesn't suit the roster. I

Shade8780
09-18-2014, 04:55 PM
Why bother with Lin then? It'd be best keeping Kobe at SG.

SwayDizzle
09-18-2014, 05:00 PM
They have Nash (who I grant you may not play much due to injury) and Lin. Why would they take one of the 3 best SGs of all time near the end of his career and try to turn him into a point guard? It's way too late for reinvention and it doesn't suit the roster. I
You reckon he'll go guns blazing 06 style? I see his assist numbers going up this season.

ArbitraryWater
09-18-2014, 05:02 PM
You reckon he'll go guns blazing 06 style? I see his assist numbers going up this season.

Kobetards reading comprehension :facepalm

Or just stupidity, don't know..

You also like the word "reckon", do you?

J Shuttlesworth
09-18-2014, 05:02 PM
OP why are you asking about FG%? I thought that stat doesn't mean much

GrapeApe
09-18-2014, 05:09 PM
He'd be as bad as Nash on D. If he's not playing SG he should play SF not point

This, and as a PG he'd likely be a turnover machine. I think he'll be playing a lot more off the ball.

Real Men Wear Green
09-18-2014, 05:10 PM
I need to see Bryant play before I try and guess his numbers but if his athleticism is gone he could try and be more of a facilitator. But that doesn't mean he's going to pile up assists. If he can't explode past defenders to attack the basket anymore or rise up over them for his jumper then he's no longer worth a double-team, and attracting extra defenders is one of the main ways big scorers get assists. He'll still have high IQ for the game and solid court vision but a pure pg with those traits and no athleticism might average 6 assists. So what's an SG going to get in that situation?

Conversely if Bryant comes back at something close to 100% then he's going to play the same way he always has and try to get as high up on the all-time scorer list as he possibly can.

Either way I don't see his APG reaching a new level.

G0ATbe
09-18-2014, 05:12 PM
I remember he tried this a little bit in 2013 and went on to have multiple double digit assist games and godly passing displays. Honestly, im hyped to witness Magicbe again:applause:

Mass Debator
09-18-2014, 05:13 PM
Point is like the hardest position to play. Either you got it or you don't. Kobe is no point...he can make some great assists with his individual talent, but no way can he control the game in favor of his teammates style.

Cold soul
09-18-2014, 05:47 PM
Point is like the hardest position to play. Either you got it or you don't. Kobe is no point...he can make some great assists with his individual talent, but no way can he control the game in favor of his teammates style.

I think Kobe can be good PG at times but not being able to do it constantly is his problem along with turnovers. I do agree with most of your post though.

MastaKilla
09-18-2014, 05:48 PM
Kobetards reading comprehension :facepalm

Or just stupidity, don't know..

You also like the word "reckon", do you?

So unnecessary..

How is this guy not banned?

kennethgriffin
09-18-2014, 05:52 PM
the lakers dont have a true first option on offense if kobe changed to PG. whos gonna be option #1? swaggy p?

no thanks

gasol left. kobe has to score 25 a game for them to have any chance

SwayDizzle
09-18-2014, 05:55 PM
I remember he tried this a little bit in 2013 and went on to have multiple double digit assist games and godly passing displays. Honestly, im hyped to witness Magicbe again:applause:
this right here. it's his display of point during that stretch in 2013 that makes me think he can do it again

SwayDizzle
09-18-2014, 05:56 PM
OP why are you asking about FG%? I thought that stat doesn't mean much
I think Kobe could end up taking less shots and being more efficient

SwayDizzle
09-18-2014, 05:58 PM
the lakers dont have a true first option on offense if kobe changed to PG. whos gonna be option #1? swaggy p?

no thanks

gasol left. kobe has to score 25 a game for them to have any chance
true, what about 20/8? ;)

Hey Yo
09-18-2014, 06:12 PM
From Feb. 2012

So, how long will he hang around and be a Laker? Kobe wouldn’t put a date on it, but he’s not one to hang on too long.

“You think I’d hang around and average 18 points, 19 points… hell no.”

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/07/kobe-bryant-says-hes-not-leaving-lakers-to-chase-rings/

Real Men Wear Green
09-18-2014, 06:14 PM
[QUOTE=Hey Yo]From Feb. 2012

So, how long will he hang around and be a Laker? Kobe wouldn

ralph_i_el
09-18-2014, 08:39 PM
this right here. it's his display of point during that stretch in 2013 that makes me think he can do it again

which stretch is this exactly?

TheMarkMadsen
09-18-2014, 08:57 PM
which stretch is this exactly?

you serious? :facepalm :facepalm

JT123
09-18-2014, 09:19 PM
[QUOTE=Hey Yo]From Feb. 2012

So, how long will he hang around and be a Laker? Kobe wouldn

bizil
09-18-2014, 09:43 PM
Kobe has ALWAYS been able to play PG, SG, and SF in his career. But at his point in his career, I don't want him defending smaller, quicker PG's. When u say put him at PG, that means u put him out there with a natural SG-swingman in the backcourt. When Kobe played with Fish, Fish brought up the rock and defended the PG most of the time. But Kobe was the best passer on his teams most of the time and would of course push the fast break if he got the ball. And he also created plays for teammates in the halfcourt. But SCORING is what Kobe does best. If anything, I envision Kobe playing more SF than PG.

ralph_i_el
09-18-2014, 10:13 PM
you serious? :facepalm :facepalm

I remember times when he TRIED to play the point for entire games and averaged 6+ turnovers a game :confusedshrug:

Milbuck
09-18-2014, 10:26 PM
I remember times when he TRIED to play the point for entire games and averaged 6+ turnovers a game :confusedshrug:
He averaged 29/6/7/1/1 on 58% TS with 4 TOV for just under the last 2 months of the season when he pretty much their full-time PG.

Turnovers were a bit high as you mentioned, but he was basically carrying the team offensively and getting ran into the ground. Give him a much lighter offensive load with good minutes management, and I could easily see him averaging 20/8 with a respectable AST/TO ratio if he's healthy.

selrahc
09-18-2014, 11:35 PM
i think he will get around 22 ppg/ 12 apg/ 6 rpg

ralph_i_el
09-18-2014, 11:39 PM
He averaged 29/6/7/1/1 on 58% TS with 4 TOV for just under the last 2 months of the season when he pretty much their full-time PG.

Turnovers were a bit high as you mentioned, but he was basically carrying the team offensively and getting ran into the ground. Give him a much lighter offensive load with good minutes management, and I could easily see him averaging 20/8 with a respectable AST/TO ratio if he's healthy.
:applause: now I remember. props on that actually.

shame it contributed to his injury

pauk
09-19-2014, 01:29 AM
He is capable of that, but its just not his natural instincts offensively with those scoring skills he has and even if he ignored that it sure will get limited playing PG considering you dont put guys there to exploit their scoring arsenal as much as possible, once those things are gone for him i can see him transition into a PG at times, pass-first, kindof like T-Mac late in his career.

bizil
09-19-2014, 03:03 AM
He is capable of that, but its just not his natural instincts offensively with those scoring skills he has and even if he ignored that it sure will get limited playing PG considering you dont put guys there to exploit their scoring arsenal as much as possible, once those things are gone for him i can see him transition into a PG at times, pass-first, kindof like T-Mac late in his career.

Exactly right! Kobe is EASILY capable of being a great PG. But it would be more in the great scorer who is also a great passer kind of vein. Which is what the league seems to be trending to. To me, the best PG's are great passers who are also great scorers. That's why LeBron from a point forward realm is so effective becasue he's a pass first player who is ALSO an alpha dog. So certainly Kobe has the skillset to be a PG for sure. But he's a better scorer than he is a passer.

And to be frank, even from the SG spot in his career, he was still the Lakers top assist guy. He just played with PG's like Fisher who weren't as good of passer that he was. Kobe is a better scorer than passer even though he's great at both. But guys like Kobe, MJ, AI, and Wade I want them playing SG mainly and dominating scoring first.

tpols
09-19-2014, 03:10 AM
Why bother with Lin then? It'd be best keeping Kobe at SG.

Lin is a better scorer/clutch shooter than he is a passer.. nash is done. This might work..

bizil
09-19-2014, 03:11 AM
There is also a thing in basketball called a secondary position. Meaning what your next best positional fit is. In the case of Kobe or MJ for that matter, u could make a great case for it to be PG or SF. They could play PG better than most guys in the world if they wanted. But with their epic scoring ability and instincts, their secondary position could also be SF. Playing PG to be is having the passing, handles, and MENTALITY to play the spot. Typically u want a pass first guy who's a great passer in that role. But of course guys like Kobe and MJ would be great at PG as well.

tpols
09-19-2014, 03:18 AM

Kobe had the most 10 or more assist games ever in his career in 2013.. he's capable of passing the ball

bizil
09-19-2014, 03:19 AM
Lin is a better scorer/clutch shooter than he is a passer.. nash is done. This might work..

I do think that Lin is more of a combo guard. Somewhat undersized to be a SG and is more of a scorer than passer. The only thing is Lin isn't dominant like many of the PG's who think the same way. Actually, Kobe has WAY MORE PG acumen than Lin. But since Kobe is such a dominant scorer, Lin can run PG and get Kobe the ball. Or u could inverse the backcourt and let Kobe the run the sets (which is often what he did anyway from the SG position). If Nash was in prime form, I would let Nash run the offense exclusively and let Kobe worry about the thing is does best, which is SCORE! For a lot of his career, Kobe played in the triangle where u didn't need a true PG. And Kobe for basically of his career was his team's best passer and primary playmaker. Prime Nash would have taken SO MUCH PRESSURE off Kobe!

But once again when I think of putting a player at PG, I think of pairing him with an SG. For example, Magic was a big PG BUT he played with a true SG in Byron Scott and a true SF in Worthy. THERE WAS NO DOUBT WHO THE PG WAS! With Penny in Orlando as a big PG, u had a true SG in Nick at the SG and a true SF in 3-D. THERE WAS NO DOUBT WHO THE PG WAS! When Lebron first came in the L, he was a PG because u had Ricky Davis at SG and Darius Miles at SF.

Now Lebron serves more as a point forward cause he's on the court with a true SG in Wade and a normal sized PG in Chalmers. So people have to decipher a guy ACTUALLY playing as a PG as opposed to a guy being a point forward or facilitating the offense from the SG position. When u think about it, there haven't been many real 6'6 and up PG's in the HISTORY of the NBA! Guys may play it at times, but very rarely was it their primary position.

tpols
09-19-2014, 03:25 AM
I do think that Lin is more of a combo guard. Somewhat undersized to be a SG and is more of a scorer than passer. Actually, Kobe has WAY MORE PG acumen than Lin. But since Kobe is such a dominant scorer, Lin can run PG and get Kobe the ball. Or u could inverse the backcourt and let Kobe the run the sets (which is often did anyway from the SG position).

I think LA would fare better with kobe passing.. lin can score better than he can pass(obvious). Kobe should try to feed him,.. his individual record days are gone. Go for the rings :cheers:

No matter how farfetched.. Lakers have talent.. help it gel, you're one of the best passing SG's of all time! Feed the guys coming up.. its really your only hope.

bizil
09-19-2014, 04:47 AM
I think LA would fare better with kobe passing.. lin can score better than he can pass(obvious). Kobe should try to feed him,.. his individual record days are gone. Go for the rings :cheers:

No matter how farfetched.. Lakers have talent.. help it gel, you're one of the best passing SG's of all time! Feed the guys coming up.. its really your only hope.

I have no problem with that scenario at all! With Lin, Kobe has a better instinct to the play PG anyway. Since Lin is listed as a PG fits their better size wise, he may stay listed as that. But in theory, Kobe would be the team's primary facilitator anyway when Lin is in. When Nash is in the game, I would still let Nash be the PG flat out. While Kobe plays at SG or even SF depending on the lineup.

ralph_i_el
09-19-2014, 01:37 PM
I have no problem with that scenario at all! With Lin, Kobe has a better instinct to the play PG anyway. Since Lin is listed as a PG fits their better size wise, he may stay listed as that. But in theory, Kobe would be the team's primary facilitator anyway when Lin is in. When Nash is in the game, I would still let Nash be the PG flat out. While Kobe plays at SG or even SF depending on the lineup.

That's all fine and good, but I'd bet that Kobe+Nash start less than 80 games total next season :confusedshrug: