PDA

View Full Version : Explain "Lost" to me please

TheReal Kendall
09-19-2014, 06:38 PM
Show was good but the whole time watching I'm like :wtf: They never explained shit and when they do it opens a bigger box of questions.

If you know what happen/going on please explain it to me.

BigBoss
09-19-2014, 06:41 PM
Sure.

The island was real. They survived the crash. They all died on the island. The flash sideways was PURGATORY. It was a place where the dead would meet back up with people that meant the most to them during there life so they can move on with them. The final scene is them entering the gates of heaven. Together. The mystery of the island is an "absolute", it just IS, it's never explained.

p.s.

They made shit up as they went. The show FAILED to deliver the goods with that copout ending. It could have been a top 5 GOAT show, but it's lucky to crack top 10. Lastly, Desmond was the fukin MAN.

Milbuck
09-19-2014, 06:55 PM
To me, Lost was just one big TV experiment to see how long people could tolerate a shit character as long as she's hot. I got through 4 seasons of Kate before I had to take a break, went back and finished it.

BigBoss
09-19-2014, 07:01 PM
To me, Lost was just one big TV experiment to see how long people could tolerate a shit character as long as she's hot. I got through 4 seasons of Kate before I had to take a break, went back and finished it.

I just wish Lost went the true sci-fi route and really involved scientific theory/mystery of the universe type of shit, but they turned it into a character drama with the hope that enough fans were sobbing at the end to forget that they ending was a complete copout.

The only exception would be Desmond getting on the phone was Penny. That was damn near perfect television :cheers:

Draz
09-19-2014, 07:03 PM
Watched the entire shit besides the last episode. What kind of shit is that, who does that lol. Need to finish that episode.

BigBoss
09-19-2014, 07:09 PM
:oldlol:

Worst part about LOST is what they did to Locke's character. :facepalm

niko
09-19-2014, 07:13 PM
Even if people didnt like the ending, the show did in fact explain everything. They addressed pretty much every little 'mystery' and to find the answers all you had to do is pay close attention. Its all there. The show was supernatural from the very first season. I dont see how people didnt see it going there, when from the start you had polar bears in the island, the smoke monster, and people appearing that are known to be dead. People just were in denial hoping for this fantasy ending that wouldnt be scifi/fantasy. The ending was adequate, explained everything and addressed all the 'fantasy & supernatural' things that had been displayed from the very start..
The problem was that the people writing it basically hinted strongly (practically flat out said) there was no purgatory and things were real and then that's exactly what they did. So when it ended, it was exactly what they said it wasn't going to be.

LJJ
09-19-2014, 07:28 PM
This show was such a tease. In the beginning it really seemed like it was going to be one of the greatest pieces of mystery fiction ever. It took me well into the second season until I figured out the writers didn't really have any resolutions to the storylines they made. Then I stopped watching.

The show is written the way a soap opera is written. Their main focus is providing that cliff hanger itch, and they do a good job at that. But they never satisfy that itch, because they had no idea about what the story was.

ZeN
09-19-2014, 07:37 PM
This show was such a tease. In the beginning it really seemed like it was going to be one of the greatest pieces of mystery fiction ever. It took me well into the second season until I figured out the writers didn't really have any resolutions to the storylines they made. Then I stopped watching.

The show is written the way a soap opera is written. Their main focus is providing that cliff hanger itch, and they do a good job at that. But they never satisfy that itch, because they had no idea about what the story was.
Did you ever watch BSG? I know a lot of people felt the same way about that show.. Similar to your feelings on LOST.

niko
09-19-2014, 07:38 PM
I definitely understand that part of it. People ended up disappointed and justifiably let down. I was at first puzzled that it ended up as purgatory but I quickly just let that shit go. I was in the group of people that enjoyed it as a character story/show and was cool with just getting an emotive ending. I tend to like that kind of thing, which is why I love the Leftovers and everyone else hates it with a passion.
The Leftovers has potential though. You know why? It's running out of source material. The "we will never explain any mysteries" is a limitation of the source material. Which is almost gone...

alenleomessi
09-19-2014, 07:42 PM
should have ended with the 3rd season.. after that it was way too much sci-fi and fantasy.. lots of non-sense really.. i still enjoyed it though.. was way too much into the show and the characters

1st season was absolutely spectacular though.. probably the greatest tv show season ever

Draz
09-19-2014, 07:44 PM
should have ended with the 3rd season.. after that it was way too much sci-fi and fantasy.. lots of non-sense really.. i still enjoyed it though.. was way too much into the show and the characters

1st season was absolutely spectacular though.. probably the greatest tv show season ever
To me they milked it

niko
09-19-2014, 07:48 PM
I was thinking exactly that.. Most problems with the first season was that they didn't want to deviate at all from the book. So for better or worse there was only one way it could go. Like when people would ask what about people that made profit or were happy with the event.. The first season was too busy addressing the books timeline to show other people or situations. That's over with now and Cuse can't now get creative and add layers and a new spin on the concept.
I stopped watching it because i'm not watching it if its not continuing to next year, and if they aren't resolving anything. Because the writing on the show is hinting at resolving things, which is ridiculous if they are not.

If they are going to year 2, continuing the story, will reveal things, I will jump back in and this easily will be a go to show.

We will see.

bagelred
09-19-2014, 07:50 PM
I stopped watching it because i'm not watching it if its not continuing to next year, and if they aren't resolving anything. Because the writing on the show is hinting at resolving things, which is ridiculous if they are not.

If they are going to year 2, continuing the story, will reveal things, I will jump back in and this easily will be a go to show.

We will see.

Yeah, Leftovers is definitely a "fool me once, shame on you..fool me twice, shame on me" since LOST didn't end great...but I'm watching it anyway. :oldlol: I like it, fully aware that the "mysteries" of what happened will probably not be resolved....

As for LOST, it WASN'T purgatory. Everything on the island was real and happened, and they were very much alive.

ZeN
09-19-2014, 07:51 PM

We will see.
Well the first season finale ties up the all of the storylines well. Also season two has already been ordered. There will be at least 10 more episodes at least. Even if it doesn't do well it could be extended like HBO did with Treme.

ZeN
09-19-2014, 07:53 PM
Yeah, Leftovers is definitely a "fool me once, shame on you..fool me twice, shame on me" since LOST didn't end great...but I'm watching it anyway. :oldlol: I like it, fully aware that the "mysteries" of what happened will probably not be resolved....

As for LOST, it WASN'T purgatory. Everything on the island was real and happened, and they were very much alive.
Purgatory wasn't the island, it was the sideways timeline. We're they were waiting to move on.

niko
09-19-2014, 07:54 PM
Well the first season finale ties up the all of the storylines well. Also season two has already been ordered. There will be at least 10 more episodes at least. Even if it doesn't do well it could be extended like HBO did with Treme.
Ill check out the tone and what you people say when season 2 rolls around and make my decision them. The beauty of TV now is you don't need to watch it when it airs all the time.

TheReal Kendall
09-19-2014, 08:13 PM

Kate was dumb to me. Like her character went from useful/badass to completely useless dumb bitch.

She always got caught and forced Sawyer and Jack to surrender.

I liked Anna Luceya and Sun.

andgar923
09-19-2014, 08:31 PM
Sure.

The island was real. They survived the crash. They all died on the island. The flash sideways was PURGATORY. It was a place where the dead would meet back up with people that meant the most to them during there life so they can move on with them. The final scene is them entering the gates of heaven. Together. The mystery of the island is an "absolute", it just IS, it's never explained.

p.s.

They made shit up as they went. The show FAILED to deliver the goods with that copout ending. It could have been a top 5 GOAT show, but it's lucky to crack top 10. Lastly, Desmond was the fukin MAN.

:facepalm

andgar923
09-19-2014, 08:33 PM
Even if people didnt like the ending, the show did in fact explain everything. They addressed pretty much every little 'mystery' and to find the answers all you had to do is pay close attention. Its all there. The show was supernatural from the very first season. I dont see how people didnt see it going there, when from the start you had polar bears in the island, the smoke monster, and people appearing that are known to be dead. People just were in denial hoping for this fantasy ending that wouldnt be scifi/fantasy. The ending was adequate, explained everything and addressed all the 'fantasy & supernatural' things that had been displayed from the very start..

This.

About 98% of all the mysteries were explained.

It was never 'purgatory' as some want people to believe. No matter how many times people have explained it, it wasn't that.

Everything on the island did happen.

Everything off the island happened as well.

It wasn't a perfect show, but it was an overall great 'experience'. The best most funnest show I've ever watched (not the best).

TheReal Kendall
09-19-2014, 08:43 PM
If everything happened then what was up with the bizarro world/timeline?

Why Jack helped the Smoke monster destroy the island?

robert de niro
09-19-2014, 08:48 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HWECQa23Cs lost explained in 3 minutes

BigBoss
09-19-2014, 08:54 PM
This.

About 98% of all the mysteries were explained.

It was never 'purgatory' as some want people to believe. No matter how many times people have explained it, it wasn't that.

Everything on the island did happen.

Everything off the island happened as well.

It wasn't a perfect show, but it was an overall great 'experience'. The best most funnest show I've ever watched (not the best).

Yes it was purgatory. I challenge you to explain how it's not.

lol at you being impressed with Lost's final season.

BigBoss
09-19-2014, 09:02 PM
It's a show that had a lot of promise, then quickly became obvious the creators and writers had no f*cking clue what they were doing.

This. Classic case of NOT having the end game planned out. It's why Breaking Bad's finale season elevated the show, whereas Lost's was shit i.e. Jacob's backstory should have been the Ozymandias episode for Lost.

andgar923
09-19-2014, 09:16 PM
Yes it was purgatory. I challenge you to explain how it's not.

lol at you being impressed with Lost's final season.

It's not purgatory because anybody that actually saw the show knows this?

It was explained a million times for starters. And again, anybody that saw the show would tell you it wasn't purgatory.

People left the island.

Those that stayed stayed.

What happened in the island and off it, happened.

Not that hard to comprehend.

I also never stated that I was "impressed" with their final season. I agree with most viewer's reactions that it was rushed and clumsy.

Oh... the Lost writers did have an 'end game'. They knew exactly what the ending of the show would be, they knew exactly what the show was gonna be about. But as anybody that's actually written anything will tell you, at times you deviate. This happens with any show, specially with a show such as Lost where there's so much going on. They writers and show runners have explained their mistakes, but nonetheless considering this type of show and what they accomplished it was a great achievement.

Easily one of the top 3 sci fi shows of all time.

BigBoss
09-19-2014, 09:18 PM
Did you even see it? Lol

Yeah, did you? :roll:

I CHALLENGE you to debate me on this.

Aside from the flash forward being a metaphor for purgatory. The finale season's writing was lazy, fell flat, and was not as ambitious as what they set out to do from the get go . The writers simply got in a room and could not think of anything to really push the envelope and that's evident with Jacob's backstory. There were two types of Lost viewers, the ones who wanted got on the ride and wanted the finale to take the show to the next level and solidify it's place in TV history as a classic, versus the ones satisfied with what they got as long as it technically closed all story arcs. I felt I wasted my time and when you have a lot of fans sharing a "that's it" feeling then it could have been better.

Baller1986
09-19-2014, 09:20 PM
Tu eres una perra.

TheReal Kendall
09-19-2014, 09:23 PM
So everybody died and went to heaven at the end right?

How they die if everything on and off the island happened?

I kinda agree with BigBoss. Jacob's back story was horrible.

andgar923
09-19-2014, 09:32 PM
First of all, you don't know what purgatory is.

Second, they didn't know what they were going to do. They did not plot out 7 seasons or however f*cking long it was on for. They do it per contract.
[QUOTE]The writers agreed early in the series that its ending would be a spiritual one, he added.

BigBoss
09-19-2014, 09:33 PM
I don't need to debate anything. You are wrong and I'm ok with you not being aware of it.

It's because you know i'll shut you down.

I re-edited my post. Argue against that or be a beta bitch.

Or actually here i'll paste it for you:

Aside from the flash forward being a plot tool to serve as a metaphor for purgatory. The finale season's writing was lazy, fell flat, and was not as ambitious as what they set out to do from the get go . The writers simply got in a room and could not think of anything to really push the envelope and that's evident with Jacob's backstory. There were two types of Lost viewers, the ones who wanted got on the ride and wanted the finale to take the show to the next level and solidify it's place in TV history as a classic, versus the ones satisfied with what they got as long as it technically closed all story arcs. I felt I wasted my time and when you have a lot of fans sharing a "that's it" feeling then it could have been better. Those who accept it are the simple minded who wouldn't know the difference between great screenplays and shit ones. The 99%. The sheep of society like you.

NumberSix
09-19-2014, 09:43 PM
The infuriating thing about LOST is that if you would have asked the writers after the first season a simple question like "so what's the deal with the island?", if there were to give an HONEST answer, it would be something like "I dunno. It's just a weird island. There's no backstory."

TheReal Kendall
09-19-2014, 09:46 PM
They didn't all die simultaneously. That's the whole point of the side timeline. They were all in limbo waiting for the rest to die. Some were still lingering after the group moved on because they weren't ready to move on. That's the purgatory, in limbo part about it.

I'm still lost but that helps a little

BigBoss
09-19-2014, 09:48 PM
http://www.blastr.com/2013-10-2/how-breaking-bad-convinced-damon-lindelof-give-defending-lost

Damon Lindelof the showrunner of Lost admitting he ****ed the show up.

Those who lack any real intellect were satisfied like Zen because technically they explained 98% of the mysteries, however many hated the finale.

/thread.

I'll shut you down any day, any debate Zen.

BigBoss
09-19-2014, 09:55 PM
Are you even reading the posts in this thread? I already stated that people were disappointed with the finale and that the reaction was justified.

You don't even seem to know what I think. So interaction with you is pointless.

You're confused Zen. Go meditate and come back with a better rebuttal.

andgar923
09-19-2014, 10:06 PM
http://www.blastr.com/2013-10-2/how-breaking-bad-convinced-damon-lindelof-give-defending-lost

Damon Lindelof the showrunner of Lost admitting he ****ed the show up.

Those who lack any real intellect were satisfied like Zen because technically they explained 98% of the mysteries, however many hated the finale.

/thread.

I'll shut you down any day, any debate Zen.

WTF?

Actually those with any sort of intellect understood the show, understood that NOT all mysteries are meant to be solved (although they solved damn near all of them) and understand that not everything will be perfect.

Many loyal fans were disappointed in the finale I agree. I was ambivalent, not sure if I hated the finale or loved it, but I got it. The last season did feel rushed, it was clumsy and I did wish Jacob and the other dude's storyline got explained more.

But at the end of the day, it was still a great overall experience. It was groundbreaking on many fronts. Im not gonna be a spoiled brat and let a few missteps f*ck up years of the most exciting tv I've ever seen bar none.

Brizzly
09-19-2014, 10:07 PM
:oldlol:

Worst part about LOST is what they did to Locke's character. :facepalm

Maybe they went too far with the John Locke > Jeremy Bentham shit, but I appreciated the philosophical meaning behind it. Besides at the point of where this started happening I had already given up the hope of the show turning over a leaf and just kept watching to see the ending. Great first 3-4 seasons but then it sucked.

Brizzly
09-19-2014, 10:08 PM
The only exception would be Desmond getting on the phone was Penny. That was damn near perfect television :cheers:

I think I cried when I saw that:oldlol:, so ****ing awesome. Penny and Desmond was indeed the best part of the show.

Penny's letter was also very emotional:cry:

BigBoss
09-19-2014, 10:11 PM
WTF?

Actually those with any sort of intellect understood the show, understood that NOT all mysteries are meant to be solved (although they solved damn near all of them) and understand that not everything will be perfect.

Many loyal fans were disappointed in the finale I agree. I was ambivalent, not sure if I hated the finale or loved it, but I got it. The last season did feel rushed, it was clumsy and I did wish Jacob and the other dude's storyline got explained more.

But at the end of the day, it was still a great overall experience. It was groundbreaking on many fronts. Im not gonna be a spoiled brat and let a few missteps f*ck up years of the most exciting tv I've ever seen bar none.

lol at the show runner admitting he ****ed up, but you and Zen still defending the show with semantics.

Oh so now the last season was a bit clumsy and you wished Jacobs backstory was explained more. Saving face like a little bitch. They could have done A LOT more and went an entirely different direction. That is the point. Its fundamental to understand that. They ****ed up.

andgar923
09-19-2014, 10:14 PM

lol at the show runner admitting he ****ed up, but you and Zen still defending the show with semantics.

Do you even know how to read dude?

I think everybody in this thread has admitted that they ****ed up :confusedshrug:

I can't speak for them, but that still doesn't take away my overall enjoyment.

BigBoss
09-19-2014, 10:15 PM
Do you even know how to read dude?

I think everybody in this thread has admitted that they ****ed up :confusedshrug:

I can't speak for them, but that still doesn't take away my overall enjoyment.

:roll: :roll:

andgar923
09-19-2014, 10:15 PM

Oh so now the last season was a bit clumsy and you wished Jacobs backstory was explained more. Saving face like a little bitch. They could have done A LOT more and went an entirely different direction. That is the point. Its fundamental to understand that. They ****ed up.

Must feel good typing tough behind a keyboard. :cheers:

type away if it compensates for your insecurities.

BigBoss
09-19-2014, 10:16 PM
Must feel good typing tough behind a keyboard. :cheers:

type away if it compensates for your insecurities.

:roll: :roll:

NumberSix
09-19-2014, 10:39 PM
Lost gave the impression that there was some well thought out overarching storyline waiting to be explained when actually, the story was nothing more than "a plane crashes on an island where weird things happen" and from that point on they made it up as the went.

Qwyjibo
09-19-2014, 10:49 PM
Lost worked when it had a science fiction base to it. (Seasons 1-4 and a lot of season 5).

Lost failed when it switched to a fantastical battle between supernatural beings where things were explained away with "it's just magic". (Season 6)

BigBoss
09-19-2014, 10:50 PM
http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy257/zenthepoet/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_2014-09-19-19-28-34.png

F*ck Off Man... You should get a life :oldlol:

Master your emotions Zen.

I own you.

Horde of Temujin
09-19-2014, 10:51 PM
Mr. Eko was the man.

The creators had big intentions for him to be the centerpiece of the show but the actor insisted on leaving the show

TheReal Kendall
09-19-2014, 11:24 PM
Mr. Eko was the man.

The creators had big intentions for him to be the centerpiece of the show but the actor insisted on leaving the show

Yeah he's like one of my favorite actors and I loved his character on the show.

I wanna know why Smokey didn't kill him the first time they met?

I think Syid would've made a better villian than Locke at the end.

Magic731
09-20-2014, 12:02 AM
First four seasons or so were brilliant, top notch television. A part of me was sort of hoping there would be this huge survivors vs others war. I loved the scene where Jack, Sawyer, etc go looking for Michael and run into Tom. I also loved the line Jack says to Ana Lucia, "How long will it take to train an army?"
I was picturing some huge 300 type battle after that.

Draz
09-20-2014, 09:47 AM
Eko, Syid and the doctor was my favorite

kurple
09-20-2014, 10:55 AM
i loved the show. every season

bunch of hipsters hating without reason