PDA

View Full Version : Underrated players thread

UK2K
09-20-2014, 03:27 AM
In this thread, nominate an 'Underrated player award' for any player in the league, past or present.

My nomination goes to Shawn Marion.

One of five players in NBA history to record 1,500 steals and 1,000 blocks (the others are named Olajuwon, Malone, Erving, and Garnett).

In 2005-06 he was the only player in the NBA ranked in the top 20 in points, rebounds, steals, blocks, field goal percentage and minutes.

During the 2006

oarabbus
09-20-2014, 03:32 AM
Boris Diaw

JohnFreeman
09-20-2014, 03:45 AM
Joe Dumars

Cold soul
09-20-2014, 04:02 AM
Elgin Baylor.

kennethgriffin
09-20-2014, 04:50 AM
right now

boris diaw

dermarcus cousins

aaron afflalo

kemba walker

mike conley

tony parker

chris bosh

gerald green

all time

john havlicek

bob cousy

bob pettit

sam jones

tom heinsohn

elvin hayes

scottie pippen

spencer haywood

mark aguirre

michael cooper

sidney moncrief

jack sickma

buck williams

bob dandridge

jo jo white

bill laimbeer

and many many more

Sakkreth
09-20-2014, 05:01 AM
Half of the raptors roster.

NZStreetBaller
09-20-2014, 05:07 AM
Blake Griffin - hes not majorly underrated but i think hes the third best in the league and alot of people just call him a dunker.

I think i remember seeing him against the heat last season without chris paul man he played good in that game. lost but still played well.

UK2K
09-20-2014, 05:40 AM
Blake Griffin - hes not majorly underrated but i think hes the third best in the league and alot of people just call him a dunker.

I think i remember seeing him against the heat last season without chris paul man he played good in that game. lost but still played well.
His overall game last season was light years better than the year before.

I wouldn't call him as a player underrated though.

WillC
09-20-2014, 06:05 AM
Terry Cummings

Exceptional player who most ISH users probably know nothing about.

kurple
09-20-2014, 06:22 AM
ty lawson, pj tucker and al jefferson

Marchesk
09-20-2014, 06:24 AM
Maurice Cheeks

Marchesk
09-20-2014, 06:26 AM
and many many more

Whoa. You didn't sneak Kobe onto the list.

kennethgriffin
09-20-2014, 06:34 AM
Whoa. You didn't sneak Kobe onto the list.

are we talking underrated in general or just on ISH?

cause if its just here then i woulda put him since he drops like 4-5 spots compared to every other ranking known to man

thankfully in the real world people appreciate the guy

andremiller07
09-20-2014, 06:39 AM
Mozgov (pretty much a healthy Denver roster is underrated)
Middleton
DeMarr Carroll
Taj Gibson
Quincy Pondexter

JohnFreeman
09-20-2014, 06:48 AM
Millsap

k0kakw0rld
09-20-2014, 06:52 AM

I remember curry destroying the heat last year too. Love scored 45 and grabbed 19 rebs vs Clippers, 42 pts 14 rebs vs Spurs but he is not top 5 according to people. He usualy shows up against his matchups and competition and plays well vs great teams, such as OKC, Clippers, Spurs and dallas. HE destroyed Dirk, his idol this year. He's the 3rd best player in this league. Sorry CP3 stans. KEVIN LOVE 26 ppg 12.5 rpg 4.4 apg, which by the way is better than anything Blake Griffin averaged this year. His team without him was worse than the lakers last year. :bowdown: That MVP status :pimp:

StephHamann
09-20-2014, 06:58 AM
Marion
Nelson
Affalo
Varejao
Brooke Lopez
Waiters
Batum
Thompson

NZStreetBaller
09-20-2014, 07:41 AM
I remember curry destroying the heat last year too. Love scored 45 and grabbed 19 rebs vs Clippers, 42 pts 14 rebs vs Spurs but he is not top 5 according to people. He usualy shows up against his matchups and competition and plays well vs great teams, such as OKC, Clippers, Spurs and dallas. HE destroyed Dirk, his idol this year. He's the 3rd best player in this league. Sorry CP3 stans. KEVIN LOVE 26 ppg 12.5 rpg 4.4 apg, which by the way is better than anything Blake Griffin averaged this year. His team without him was worse than the lakers last year. :bowdown: That MVP status :pimp:

K love just shines because he has a crap team......
Watch his stats drop dramatically this season
Hes the next chris bosh.
Griffin would crack those numbers if he played with the timberwolves.

BoutPractice
09-20-2014, 08:11 AM
Strictly among stars, because there are way, way too many underrated non-stars to even discuss the topic...

I hardly see people mention Chris Webber as one of the great PFs these days...

He played in the best PF era, averaged 27, 11 and 4 type statlines, the rare bigman who could average 13 rebounds but also 5.5 assists in a season... has 5 all-NBA teams including a first, 5 years where he was top 10 in MVP voting, several deep playoffs run, and almost led his team to the title (in an alternate universe very close to ours he probably has a FMVP)... His all-around skills, specifically his passing, have been matched by few inside forwards in the history of the game. (His midrange jumpshot, however, has, although he apparently didn't seem to notice it.) I mostly see him mentioned because of one play he made at university these days.

Another one is Jermaine O'Neal. History will probably forget him, even though he's a six-time all star, three time all-NBA teamer, who was once top 3 in MVP voting... Gave you a rock solid 6 years of 20, 10, boring fadeaways and tons of blocked shots.

Also, possibly Karl Malone and Allen Iverson. Players who were perhaps too heavily praised while they were playing... but the backlash since has been excessive I would argue.

I hate Karl Malone, personally, but he's a 2 time MVP, 14 time all-star, 11 time all-NBA first teamer, 3 time all-defensive first teamer, the second most prolific scorer of all time, averaged things like 31 11 and 3 while being the epitome of consistency/durability for two decades, had tons of deep playoff runs including 2 Finals runs, etc.

Yet some people nowadays act like there's no debate to be had between him and Charles Barkley, or Dirk (my all-time favourite), or KG. Malone had his shortcomings (magnified by high profile series against the best player of all time and one with the exact qualities he lacked) but I don't see how they could possibly overshadow a resume like this.

thefatmiral
09-20-2014, 09:01 AM
bogut. nate robinson. gary neal. danny green. I also agree with jermaine oneal as undervalued. there are a lot of good players who are going to be forgotten when they retire.

L.Kizzle
09-20-2014, 09:44 AM
Chris Mullin
Shawn Kemp
Patrick Ewing
Rolando Blackman
Mark Price

elementally morale
09-20-2014, 09:49 AM
Kevin McHale is underrated all time, big time. Garnett is underrated in comparison with Duncan, as far as their peaks are concerned. Isiah Thomas is underrated. Manu is better than given credit for and Parker is worse. Lillard and Irving seem underrated to me.

L.Kizzle
09-20-2014, 09:54 AM
Kevin McHale is underrated all time, big time. Garnett is underrated in comparison with Duncan, as far as their peaks are concerned. Isiah Thomas is underrated. Manu is better than given credit for and Parker is worse. Lillard and Irving seem underrated to me.
McHale is usually rated very highly. I've seen him ranked as high as 25 but is usually around the 30-40 spots.

Duncan being much higher than Garnett is correct.

Isiah is fine.

elementally morale
09-20-2014, 10:06 AM
McHale is usually rated very highly. I've seen him ranked as high as 25 but is usually around the 30-40 spots.

Isiah is fine.

McHale is rarely given credit for. We often hear Magic and Kareem (and Wothy and Scott) but rarely hear Bird and.... anybody. As for Duncan vs. Garnett, I always felt they were a lot closer for 3-4 years than many people said they were. Sure, Duncan is the clear winner as far as we are taling about career (not accolades but elongated ability), and he was better early in their careers and is much better towards the end... but prime for prime (peak for peak) it was close -- at least to me it was.

Isiah is not often talked about. Stockton is... and Stockton was not a lot (if any) better than Isiah. When talking about great PG's, the following are mentioned since the 80's: Magic, Kidd, Payton, Nash, Stockton... Isiah is mentioned as often as Penny Hardaway. I think that's underrating the guy (who seems to be a huge assshole though, so it's totally fine with me, LOL).

MP.Trey
09-20-2014, 10:11 AM
Bob Davies - Learned this from the HOF thread that GOAT was doing this past summer. This guy gets forgotten way more than he should.

Norm Van Lier - Good all-around PG and one of the best, if not the best defensive guard of his era.

Dale Ellis - One of the first 3 point marksman of the NBA and a great scorer in his prime.

Fat Lever - Constant triple double threat. Maybe the best rebounding guard ever and great at pushing the ball off a rebound or outlet. Very good defender as well even though the 80's Nuggets get a bad rap for defense.

Brad Daugherty - Career was cut short by injuries and now he's a NASCAR announcer but a very solid 20/10 center on great efficiency. Very skilled offensive player and would be remembered a lot greater if he put in a couple more years at a similar production level.

SHAQisGOAT
09-20-2014, 10:25 AM
Bobby Jones

Dale Ellis

Sidney Moncrief

Paul Westphal

Michael Cooper

Walt Frazier

Bob Pettit

Dan Roundfield

Marques Johnson

Gus Williams

Rick Barry

Fat Lever

George Gervin

John Havlicek

Dave DeBusschere

Bob McAdoo

Moses Malone

Rolando Blackman

Buck Williams

Elvin Hayes

kurple
09-20-2014, 10:27 AM

Isiah is fine.
isiah is not fine. mad underrated. especially in all time ranking lists

L.Kizzle
09-20-2014, 10:33 AM
isiah is not fine. mad underrated. especially in all time ranking lists
He's usually ranked in the top 20 on various list.

17 on SLAM 75
19 on SLAM 50 and SLAM 500
23 on Bill Simmons 96 Greatest Players

elementally morale
09-20-2014, 10:53 AM
He's usually ranked in the top 20 on various list.

17 on SLAM 75
19 on SLAM 50 and SLAM 500
23 on Bill Simmons 96 Greatest Players

I thought we were talking about ISH.

Taller than CP3
09-20-2014, 11:16 AM
Hedo Turkoglu

In his prime, he was unstoppable. I have him ranked higher than Grant Hill for that reason alone.

MP.Trey
09-20-2014, 11:21 AM
Hedo Turkoglu

In his prime, he was unstoppable. I have him ranked higher than Grant Hill for that reason alone.
:biggums:

elementally morale
09-20-2014, 11:41 AM
:biggums:

The guy may well be taller than CP3 but he certainly isn't older than Turkey Glue. Noone who saw Hill back in the day would say anything remotely as silly as he did just do.

Geezer
09-20-2014, 11:42 AM
marion

(current) VC - dat reinvention doe

alonzo mourning

george gervin

paul millsap

chris bosh

peak gerald wallace

current d-wade

sammichoffate
09-20-2014, 01:40 PM
Monta Ellis, still hasn't made one all-star team. Are you ****ing kidding me? :facepalm

MrC1991
09-20-2014, 02:35 PM
Tayshaun Prince.

alexd
09-20-2014, 03:50 PM
Peja
Isiah Thomas
Conley
Marion
Griffin
Harden
Collison