PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite Point Guards of all-time - and why?

Geezer
09-20-2014, 09:00 AM
Hello friends,

Curious to know as to who your favourite PG's are of all time and what your reason is for liking each? Doesn't necessarily mean "best" of all time, just those who you enjoyed watching / appreciated their playstyles etc. that made them your top players at the 1.

For me:

Gary Payton: Swag before "swag" existed; great balance of scoring, passing and defense; lead one of the most entertaining short-lived awesome teams of the 90's; pulled off perhaps my most loved in-game pass of all-time (6) in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfS8lEzIVSo

Penny Hardaway: such a shame his career was cut short by injury, one of the best blends of athletic highlights and passing instinct at the position; 6-7 point guard with legit handles; continued to thrive after Shaq left proving he wasn't just a coattail rider

Steve Nash: gave white players hope all over again; dominated despite lack of hops; made passing "cool" again for a temporary period; captained one of the most entertaining offensive teams of all time; funny and down to earth guy who is a good presence off the court

Tim Hardaway: as a long-time Heat fan, always one of my faves; dat crossover doe; run TMC; one of the few players who showed up in their conference finals with Jordan's Bulls

post up yours and share some love for the little guys of the game :pimp:

NZStreetBaller
09-20-2014, 09:01 AM
Magic johnson - watched his highlights and his passes are like oooooooh shaaaiieit my nikka!! how in the world did he shoot that direction this nikka ish craaayyyzee!!

QuebecBaller
09-20-2014, 09:03 AM
Jason Williams
Jason Kidd
Steve Nash

Because of their passing abilities

Geezer
09-20-2014, 09:04 AM
Jason Williams
Jason Kidd
Steve Nash

Because of their passing abilities

how the f* did I miss out Jason Williams :facepalm

definitely one of the best, made passing an art form :rockon:

JohnFreeman
09-20-2014, 09:08 AM
JWill - sick passing
Bibby - sacramento
Payton - One of the GOAT PGs
Marbury - My first jersey in 2004
baron Davis - Fear the beard

LAZERUSS
09-20-2014, 09:11 AM
how the f* did I miss out Jason Williams :facepalm

definitely one of the best, made passing an art form :rockon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qv0YS1wHoQ

andremiller07
09-20-2014, 09:25 AM
Andre Miller - Just cause
Sam Cassell - Didn't give a **** and his mid range/ post up game was nasty
Rod Strickland - Stud loved him getting into the lane
Jamal Tinsley (Indiana days) - crafty as they come with the handle
Baron Davis - naturally probs the most talented PG i ever seen but never really put it together.

Captain Hooker
09-20-2014, 10:11 AM
Jason Williams bcos of his nasty passing skills!

AnaheimLakers24
09-20-2014, 10:14 AM
fisher - clutch as f... and knew his role

MP.Trey
09-20-2014, 10:15 AM
That I've seen play:
White Chocolate
Steve Francis/Baron Davis - They're so similar yet so different!
Steve Nash
Jason Kidd

ZMonkey11
09-20-2014, 10:24 AM
Isiah Thomas.

Gary Payton with swag before swag? Ask Isiah about that. He had so much swag, he didn't even act like he had swag. People just followed him because he shit swag, sweat swag, bled swag.

Most dominant little man to ever play this game? But what about Iverson? 0 championships, that's what's about Iverson.

Squeaking in at barely 6 feet tall, this guy made All-Stars. He took his team past Bird, Jordan, Magic, Kareem to win championships.

You want a scorer, he'll dice you like a Ginsu knife, on a sprained ankle. Still owns the record for most points scored in a playoff quarter.

You want a play maker? How does a 9.3 career assist average sound to you?

You want a leader? He'll take lesser known talent and turn them into All-stars. He'll fight the biggest person on the other team for you. If you say something stupid in the media, he'll have your back right away, no questions asked. He was there for his soldiers.

Isiah is the most severely underrated player of all-time. One bad pass away from 4 straight NBA finals, 1 sprained ankle away from 3 straight championships, and the leader of a team that captured people's imagination smack in the middle of the triforce named Magic, Bird, and Jordan.

Make no mistake, his ownership, coaching, and GM days were a sham, but his NBA player days were once in a generation.

HylianNightmare
09-20-2014, 10:26 AM
Steve Francis

StephHamann
09-20-2014, 10:30 AM
Steve Nash because he showed pure joy for the game, he was probably the most creative passer since Magic but he was also arguably the best shooter of all time look at his 50/40/90 stats.

He gave us normal guys hope. He could dominate the sport without juicing and using PEDs like Bran and other guys.

elementally morale
09-20-2014, 11:04 AM
Favorites?

1) Magic
2) Nash
3) Penny
4) Isiah
5) Kidd

Especially the first 3.

Taller than CP3
09-20-2014, 12:01 PM
Kevin Johnson

He was ruthless and penetrated at will with no regard for human life.

Optimus Prime
09-20-2014, 12:04 PM
Magic Johnson; no explanation needed.

livingby3's
09-20-2014, 12:51 PM
Steve Nash. Needless to say, his passing game and shooting were a lot of fun to watch. It's like he.. never misses a shot. The way he creates and gets the whole team involved, it's no wonder players around the league love playing with Nash. It's as that saying goes, you do not tell Steve Nash you're open, Nash tells you you're open :pimp: only Steve Nash can.

Now the thing about Nash is not just that he had a brilliant game on the offensive end, but that he's true warrior that battles hard night in out. Though he's limited on the defensive end, he tried. Took charges constantly while at the age of mid 30s. Had history playing with a broken nose, or one eye against the Spurs. He always fought hard and knew when to get his team the ball, and when to take over a ball game. Controlling the pace of a game to perfection, he's legitimately a true point guard who fulfilled all criteria of the term immensely.

A waste he never got past the Spurs or the Lakers while he spent his career playing in the west. He had his opportunities. He had great teams, and he performed, but was never able to get through the greater western teams.

A all time great PG, a Suns legend.

JerrySeinfeld
09-20-2014, 12:54 PM
John Stockton, the leading assists and steals man in NBA history. Also, if you look up ironman in the dictionary, you'll see a picture of Stockton there as well.

He also was very underrated in aspects such as scoring. He had over 7 years in his career where he shot over 40% from deep but not many consider him a great 3pt shooter. The shot just wasn't utilized back then like it is now.

His career averages are

13/11/3/3 with shooting percentages of 52/38/83.

Pointguard
09-20-2014, 02:16 PM
Magic because he possessed the ultimate package: control, mental, intuitive, skilled, selflessness, winner, timing and only Jordan has more exciting mix tape.

Frazier because he made my team a winner.

Young Lebron could do it all.

Nash/Brent Price as the shooting, speed and passing was great to see

Rose as the dashing in and out, spinning the ball off the backboard, the excitment, only human I watched that looks like he has jet propulsion.

Excitment is a big factor as I like live games but kicking out $700 isn't going to happen too much. There was a time when I was getting more than 10 free tickets a year and have Tim Duncan put me to sleep.

Budadiiii
09-20-2014, 02:21 PM
Magic because he possessed the ultimate package: control, mental, intuitive, skilled, selflessness, winner, timing and only Jordan has more exciting mix tape.

Frazier because he made my team a winner.

Young Lebron could do it all.

Nash/Brent Price as the shooting, speed and passing was great to see

Rose as the dashing in and out, spinning the ball off the backboard, the excitment, only human I watched that looks like he has jet propulsion.

Excitment is a big factor as I like live games but kicking out $700 isn't going to happen too much. There was a time when I was getting more than 10 free tickets a year and have Tim Duncan put me to sleep.
I like watching D-Rose for his physical talent too.

Too bad the guy is one of the dumbest PG's in history and doesn't have any of the intuitive understanding that Magic or CP3 have. Doesn't help that he's really sensitive and not very tough.

SamuraiSWISH
09-20-2014, 02:29 PM
Too bad the guy is one of the dumbest PG's in history
Off the court? Sure. He's also extremely awkward. Better basketball decision maker, and feel for the game than Westbrook though.

ArbitraryWater
09-20-2014, 02:30 PM
Okay, I know I made a shit ton of jokes about it.. But why is Rose "dumb" ?

SamuraiSWISH
09-20-2014, 02:33 PM
My favorites growing up:

Bobb Hurley @ Duke
Tim Hardaway
Gary Payton
Penny
Jason Kidd

Now:

Chris Paul
Derrick Rose
Kyrie Irving

If you described my game, it would be in essence like a white Chris Paul, or Kyrie Irving but with the defensive abilities tenacity of a Gary Payton.

Budadiiii
09-20-2014, 02:33 PM
Off the court? Sure. He's also extremely awkward. Better basketball decision maker, and feel for the game than Westbrook though.
You're absolutely right.

Being dumb off the court bites him in the ass because he's unable to prepare like the greats. He only prepares physically, and has no intellectual grasp on the game. Westbrook doesn't have much either but with him, you get basically a competitive robot who constantly puts out high energy mixed with insane ability to mentally and physically heal quicker than anyone in the sport.

He is by far the most impressive athlete I have ever witnessed.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
09-20-2014, 02:35 PM
Magic - unique that he could see over most defenders (hence why he is the GOAT passer), and above all else, an entertainer -- you would pay to see Magic play

Stockton - played hard on every possession and his fundamentals were on point

Chris Paul - insane handle, great shooter, and floor general; single-handedly made the Clippers relevant again

Heavincent
09-20-2014, 02:35 PM
All time - Jason Kidd

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view6/2654635/jason-kidd-filthy-pass-o.gif

Current - Steph Curry

http://quattrocentoquattro.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/curry.gif

Pointguard
09-20-2014, 02:36 PM
I like watching D-Rose for his physical talent too.

Too bad the guy is one of the dumbest PG's in history and doesn't have any of the intuitive understanding that Magic or CP3 have. Doesn't help that he's really sensitive and not very tough.
Like I said, Rose gets up and claims he's going to be the best in a sport, and then do it, that you love and can only be a fan of. And he was the youngest to ever pull that off. You go to sleep being a hater troll and the worst poster on your best days on a board that is a fan of basketball. I'm not even trying to play happy medium maker here. You're too locked in.

Rose was the most intuitive player in the game. You don't know what the word means.

Budadiiii
09-20-2014, 02:36 PM
John Stockton
Jason Kidd
Chris Paul
Russell Westbrook

They are all unique in their own way and get the job done differently based on physical ability, but the same in the way they handle the mental preparation of the game.

These guys are true professionals. Yes, Even Jason Kidd.

Sakkreth
09-20-2014, 02:37 PM
Besides popular picks of Magic, Nash, White chocolate. I also got homer pick of Jasikevicius and unique one - Robert Pack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9MMZzzbufQ

Budadiiii
09-20-2014, 02:42 PM
Like I said, Rose gets up and claims he's going to be the best in a sport that you love and can only be a fan of. And he was the youngest to ever pull that off. You go to sleep being a hater troll and the worst poster on your best days. I'm not even trying to play happy medium maker here. You're too locked in.

Rose was the most intuitive player in the game. You don't know what the word means.
I know what the word means, and don't mistake his physical ability for intuitiveness.

He doesn't understand how to run an offense. I was referring to his passing intuitiveness, because you could argue he intuitively knows how to get to the basket and finish, but again, wasn't what I was referring to.

Derrick Rose is a terrible PG. His mind works 10 seconds late and he doesn't something until it's too late. He gets assists by driving, drawing the D, and making a routine pass. Not because he's good at PG, but because he's extremely athletic and can draw defenders, and even when he does, his passes still aren't on time.

He has no anticipation skills. And it is something that can be learned, but he is too stupid to notice that as a flaw.

It all reverts back to him being a moron and not knowing how to improve his game.

Budadiiii
09-20-2014, 02:44 PM
Derrick Rose would be lost without great coaches like Callipari and Thibodeau.

Noyze
09-20-2014, 02:45 PM
Baron Davis
young Chris Paul (back in NO when he was still strong but was faster)
Penny Hardaway
Jason Kidd

Noyze
09-20-2014, 02:49 PM
Dude had Del Negro his first 2 years.

Year 1 - Rookie of the Year. Triple double in first playoffs game.
Year 2 - Allstar. 2nd round breakout

DRose was a star and on his way before Thibs

SamuraiSWISH
09-20-2014, 02:50 PM
He did just fine in HS, and with Vinnie Del Negro

:facepalm

Budadiiii
09-20-2014, 02:53 PM
Dude had Del Negro his first 2 years.

Year 1 - Rookie of the Year. Triple double in first playoffs game.
Year 2 - Allstar. 2nd round breakout

DRose was a star and on his way before Thibs
Del Negro is a great coach.

Thibs got him an MVP. No one knew who Derrick Rose was before that, except extreme fans like here on ISH.

Rose was irrelevant and was never talked about with my friends. They didn't know who he was.

Budadiiii
09-20-2014, 02:54 PM
He did just fine in HS, and with Vinnie Del Negro

Don't all d1 athletes do fine in high school?

Since when is Del Negro not considered a good coach?

Heavincent
09-20-2014, 03:00 PM
Since when is Del Negro not considered a good coach?

:oldlol:

Young X
09-20-2014, 03:26 PM
CP3 - Extremely skilled and efficient, very few weaknesses, a threat to drop 30 points or 15 dimes on any night and can play decent/solid defense. I try to model my game around PG's like him, Nash, and D-Will especially ball handling wise.

Pointguard
09-20-2014, 04:52 PM
I know what the word means, and don't mistake his physical ability for intuitiveness.

He doesn't understand how to run an offense. I was referring to his passing intuitiveness, because you could argue he intuitively knows how to get to the basket and finish, but again, wasn't what I was referring to.

You said intuition - you didn't say passing intuition. Cp3 has more of a passing disposition. Intuition is not really subject to different aspects of the game. Either you have it or you don't. You still haven't proven that you know what the word means.

Chicago had the 11th best offense in the league with Thibes only allocating 20 minutes to offensive sets and Derrick Rose having the second highest usage percentage in the league. This was with teams knowing they were going to go at Rose. Without Rose they were 23rd and 28th offensively with three times more time allocated to offense. He definitely knows how to run an offense.

Derrick Rose is a terrible PG. His mind works 10 seconds late and he doesn't something until it's too late.
More evidence that you don't know what intuition means.

He gets assists by driving, drawing the D, and making a routine pass. Not because he's good at PG, but because he's extremely athletic and can draw defenders, and even when he does, his passes still aren't on time.
He won MVP. You don't even have your vocabulary down.

He has no anticipation skills. And it is something that can be learned, but he is too stupid to notice that as a flaw.

It all reverts back to him being a moron and not knowing how to improve his game.
Sounds like you are describing your post(ing) game. Good luck with that.

bdreason
09-21-2014, 04:41 AM
Jason Kidd is my favorite PG of all-time. He's from the Bay Area and I followed his whole career. I loved his ability to defend, get the rebound, and push the rock. He may be the best of all-time at that specific set of skills. He took a team of athletes to the NBA Finals back to back years, and probably should have won MVP one of those seasons... although it's hard to argue against Duncan.

bdreason
09-21-2014, 04:43 AM
And my current favorites are Steph Curry and Damian Lillard.

T_L_P
09-21-2014, 05:03 AM
Billups - always had tenacity, a fierce competitor, made some great plays.

Avery Johnson - good passer, better teammate. Understood how to mesh with Duncan instantly, hit some clutch shots.

Pre-Clippers Paul - he mastered everything his size/body allowed him to do: good scorer, efficient, great passer, good rebounder, good defender, high IQ, fun to watch.

Random_Guy
09-21-2014, 05:20 AM
Hello friends,

Curious to know as to who your favourite PG's are of all time and what your reason is for liking each? Doesn't necessarily mean "best" of all time, just those who you enjoyed watching / appreciated their playstyles etc. that made them your top players at the 1.

For me:

Gary Payton: Swag before "swag" existed; great balance of scoring, passing and defense; lead one of the most entertaining short-lived awesome teams of the 90's; pulled off perhaps my most loved in-game pass of all-time (6) in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfS8lEzIVSo

Penny Hardaway: such a shame his career was cut short by injury, one of the best blends of athletic highlights and passing instinct at the position; 6-7 point guard with legit handles; continued to thrive after Shaq left proving he wasn't just a coattail rider

Steve Nash: gave white players hope all over again; dominated despite lack of hops; made passing "cool" again for a temporary period; captained one of the most entertaining offensive teams of all time; funny and down to earth guy who is a good presence off the court

Tim Hardaway: as a long-time Heat fan, always one of my faves; dat crossover doe; run TMC; one of the few players who showed up in their conference finals with Jordan's Bulls

post up yours and share some love for the little guys of the game :pimp:
damn havent seen that payton highlight b4, 1:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :eek:

Random_Guy
09-21-2014, 05:21 AM
And my current favorites are Steph Curry and Damian Lillard.
steph could actually go down as a lot of peoples favortie of all time actually.

poido123
09-21-2014, 05:44 AM
My favourite PG's of the last 15 years are Derek Fisher and Tony Parker

They accounted for 9 of the last 15 rings, a staggering 60% of rings were won by them! :eek:

They both were integral parts of their team successes, played at a high level, and helped give many other players on their team, championship rings

Due to this supreme dominance by these 2 individuals, they are my 2 favourite Point Guards of all time :applause: :applause:

Do you ever say a post without trolling a player or team?

Great trolls have graced this forum over the years, you simply don't have it in you.

If you are capable of just posting normally, I'd greatly appreciate it.

If not, I hope you get your long overdue ban.

dubeta
09-21-2014, 05:53 AM
Do you ever say a post without trolling a player or team?

Great trolls have graced this forum over the years, you simply don't have it in you.

If you are capable of just posting normally, I'd greatly appreciate it.

If not, I hope you get your long overdue ban.

If you call that "trolling" you have low standards

poido123
09-21-2014, 05:58 AM
Anyways, I'm a big fan of payton also.

My other all time favorite was AI. That little guy was tough. He cops a lot of criticism for his fg% but he would carry those Philly teams on his back with little to no help on Offense .:rockon:

JohnMax
09-21-2014, 06:18 AM
I love PGs who put pressure on defense by constantly driving to the rim

Parker
Westbrook
Rose
Teague

G0ATbe
09-21-2014, 06:32 AM
PASSbe:pimp: .

k0kakw0rld
09-21-2014, 08:33 AM
Jason Kidd

First of all, 1st class player and hall of famer.

Leadership, versatility, All around game, the fact that he couldn't shoot 3's dor shit and is now sitting at 3rd place all time in that department. This proves that he was a hard worker. A nightly triple double threat. The closest thing to Magic Johnson. His defense was up there with the best of them. Led the Nets to a back to back trip to the finals. :bowdown:

& Deron Williams I just love his game. He is strong, goes to the basket and has the ability to draw contact. His shooting ability: this man when hot can shoot. When he trusts his jumper, he is unstoppable. His vision, his passing ability sometimes reminds me of Kidd,. That's why I was excited when he joined the Nets.

Honorable Mentions:
Isiah Thomas "Zeke"
Stephen Curry

Random_Guy
09-21-2014, 10:13 AM
Jason Kidd

First of all, 1st class player and hall of famer.

Leadership, versatility, All around game, the fact that he couldn't shoot 3's dor shit and is now sitting at 3rd place all time in that department. This proves that he was a hard worker. A nightly triple double threat. The closest thing to Magic Johnson. His defense was up there with the best of them. Led the Nets to a back to back trip to the finals. :bowdown:

& Deron Williams I just love his game. He is strong, goes to the basket and has the ability to draw contact. His shooting ability: this man when hot can shoot. When he trusts his jumper, he is unstoppable. His vision, his passing ability sometimes reminds me of Kidd,. That's why I was excited when he joined the Nets.

Honorable Mentions:
Isiah Thomas "Zeke"
Stephen Curry
its a shame deron fell off, he was arguably the top pg in the ga,e with cp3 back in his prime

Beastmode88
09-21-2014, 10:33 AM
If you call that "trolling" you have low standards

Heh maybe you should look up what trolling is and stop getting banned.

Lebron23
09-21-2014, 10:44 AM
Allen Iverson
Stephon Marbury
Tony Parker

k0kakw0rld
09-21-2014, 02:52 PM
its a shame deron fell off, he was arguably the top pg in the ga,e with cp3 back in his prime
This.

He seems ready to go for the new season :bowdown:

SamuraiSWISH
09-21-2014, 03:16 PM
He wasn't a super dynamic player but Billups from 2003 - 2009 was a joy to watch play as well. Controlled the tempo, good handle, smart player, hit big shots, good shooter, and played defense.

Baron Davis was built like Billups, and was massively entertaining for a long time as well. Absolute sick handle. I liked him more than say Steve Francis. I miss B. Diddy being relevant. His series in 2007 v.s. Dallas was EPIC.

Deron Williams for a long while was my guy too, he's fallen off, and doesn't seem to be able to consistently perform anymore.

swagga
09-21-2014, 03:16 PM
stockton. He'd school many of these monkeys playing PG today. Undersized wings with passing ability aren't true PGs.

Stockton today would be the best PG in the league. Better than curry, irving, cp3 or westbrook. And this comes from a HUGE cp3 fan.

In before apg&handles argument where apg&ball controll are the peak of playmaking and where game pace control/composure/timing/leadership/being the coach's man on the court are details.

swagga
09-21-2014, 03:17 PM
He wasn't a super dynamic player but Billups from 2003 - 2009 was a joy to watch play as well. Controlled the tempo, good handle, smart player, hit big shots, good shooter, and played defense.

Baron Davis was built like Billups, and was massively entertaining for a long time as well. Absolute sick handle. I liked him more than say Steve Francis. I miss B. Diddy being relevant. His series in 2007 v.s. Dallas was EPIC.

Deron Williams for a long while was my guy too, he's fallen off, and doesn't seem to be able to consistently perform anymore.

those are some good picks. Billups was a true pg. Dwill in his prime was also underrated (imo).

rightsideup
09-21-2014, 04:30 PM
nash
Stockton
magic
isiah
kidd
payton
kevin Johnson
were my fav's of yesteryear

Parker
Lowry
westbrook
are my fav's today

dreamwarrior
09-21-2014, 04:49 PM
Kevin Johnson, Penny Hardaway, Magic Johnson

Kvnzhangyay
09-21-2014, 05:12 PM
Prob Stockton cuz he confirms my belief that flashy=/= good

L.A. Jazz
09-21-2014, 06:17 PM
John Stockton.

To4
09-21-2014, 07:56 PM
Fat Lever.

Dude can ball his nuts out.

Maga_1
09-21-2014, 08:26 PM
Nobody mentioned prime Arenas?
He was really fun to watch, it's a damn shame that he went down like that.

PsychoBe
09-21-2014, 08:33 PM
Nobody mentioned prime Arenas?
He was really fun to watch, it's a damn shame that he went down like that.

a shame he had to run into d-wade in 2005 and lebron in 2006-2008 in the first round iirc :lol

Glass Ankles
09-21-2014, 08:40 PM
Jerry West and Curry, those jumpshots. :bowdown:

bizil
09-21-2014, 09:26 PM
Magic- The GOAT PG and along with Lebron, KG, and Barkley, the most unique player of all time in my book. His versatility and leadership is what separated him from all the other PG's.

Isiah- The best "normal sized" PG ever. At his best, it was like combining Stockton and Iverson into one. SICK SHIT! Only other small PG's capable of that are Tiny and CP3.

Payton- The best two way PG of all time. In terms of combining scoring, passing, and defense as a package, he and Frazier are in a class by themselves. At 6'4 he was a big PG capable of guarding PG, SG, and some SF's.

Penny- At 6'7 was going to be the first freak athlete supersize PG. 6'4 I consider a big PG. 6'7 and up is a really big point. Penny also had an awesome scoring skillset as well. It was like a mix of Magic and George Gervin topped off by Penny's freak athletic ability!

Kidd- For me, Kidd was the best pure pure PG of all time. By that I mean a pass first PG who didn't really have alpha dog capabilities (guys like Stockton, Cousy, Cheeks, Rondo, Mark Jackson, Skiles). Guys like Magic, Isiah, and Big O were pass first PG's BUT they had alpha dog level capabilities. Kidd was a walking triple double, had sick dimes, and was a great defender capable of defending PG, SG, and SF.