PDA

View Full Version : ISH Hall of Fame Project: Class of 2000 Voting

G.O.A.T
09-20-2014, 10:03 AM
Inside Hoops Hall of Fame Project

http://www.rochester.edu/pr/Review/V59N3/photos/2000.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This thread is for the voting on the class of 2000.

You may make your own list or Copy and Paste the Ballot Below and bold the names of the players you want to vote into our Hall of Fame.

You can vote for up to ten players, but don't need to vote for any.

Base your selections and arguments on a players pro career (not just NBA, but all pro leagues) as well as AAU (pre-1970), International and Olympic play. Do not consider a players impact off the court as that will be addressed when we vote in pioneers and contributors.

Feel free to include any arguments you want to make on behalf of any of the players or against any of the players.

Also this is the time to nominate any players I have not listed that were retired before 2000. If you do nominate a player please include a 2-4 sentence profile as I have done for other nominees. (I'll edit or add if need be)

Anyone who is not yet involved in the project may participate in this round as well, please check in within this thread or via PM to me and I'll add you too our roster.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Players eligible for the first time

Aguirre, Mark - 3x all-star; member of two Championship teams, averaged 25-6-4-1 in seven prime seasons.

Chambers, Tom - 4x all-star, 2x all-NBA; averaged 21-7-2-1 in eleven prime seasons.

Cumming, Terry - 2x all-star, 2x all-NBA; averaged 22-9-2-1 over eight prime seasons.

Daugherty, Brad - 5x all-star, 1x all-NBA; averaged 19-10-4-1 over six prime seasons.

Drexler, Clyde - 10x all-star, 5x all-NBA, played in three NBA Finals; 22-6-6-2 in twelve prime seasons; 2nd in 1992 MVP

Dumars, Joe - 1989 Finals MVP; 6x all-star, 2x all-NBA, 5x all-defense (4x first team); 18-2-5-1 in ten prime seasons.

Johnson, Magic - A good basketball player.

Malone, Moses - 3x MVP; 1983 Finals MVP; does the rest matter?

Marčiulionis,

G.O.A.T
09-20-2014, 10:06 AM
Sorry for the long delay. I have unfortunately suffered a pretty bad injury to my right hand and typing is difficult with one hand. Should be better within a few weeks, but wanted to finish this before the season starts.

This is a great class to sneak in some of the guys who have been close in previous rounds as it is not nearly as deep.

I think we should discuss which players are the largest omissions and push for them personally. Voting on our own without discussing it has led to too much variety in the voting to get anyone elected.

Thanks for your patience and lets get back to work.

L.Kizzle
09-20-2014, 09:54 PM
Aguirre, Mark - Pretty good player, could score with the best of the small forwards in the 80s. But not the level of Dantley, Enlgish, Nique, King and not the all around players of Worthy, Marques, Bird and Doc J.

Chambers, Tom - Very underrated in a land of Forwards in the 80s.

Cumming, Terry - See above.

Daugherty, Brad - It sucks when you play in the same era as prime Hakeem, Ewing and Robinson. Also, the tail end of Parish, Moses, Sikma, Laimbeer and Kareem's primes and the beginning of Shaq, Zo and Mount Mutombo. He'd be the best center playing today.

Drexler, Clyde - Should have been an All-Star in 87 and 95. Made three Finals in the decade of Jordan. More than his contemporaries Hakeem (unless we count 86?), Barkley & Johnson, Stockton & Malone, Payton & Kemp, Miller, Ewing, Robinson, Mullin, Wilkins, Shaq & Penny.

Dumars, Joe - Great defender and great second option on a championship team.

Johnson, Magic - Earvin Johnson was better.

Malone, Moses - Did everything great besides giving interviews.

Marčiulionis,

JohnFreeman
09-20-2014, 09:57 PM
Magic Johnson
Joe Dumars
Clyde Drexler
Moses Malone
Robert Parish
Dominique Wilkins

PsychoBe
09-20-2014, 10:02 PM
why did I think this involved posters :roll: :roll: :roll:

magnax1
09-20-2014, 10:15 PM
Sorry for the long delay. I have unfortunately suffered a pretty bad injury to my right hand and typing is difficult with one hand. Should be better within a few weeks, but wanted to finish this before the season starts.

This is a great class to sneak in some of the guys who have been close in previous rounds as it is not nearly as deep.

I think we should discuss which players are the largest omissions and push for them personally. Voting on our own without discussing it has led to too much variety in the voting to get anyone elected.

Thanks for your patience and lets get back to work.
Largest Ommissions are probably
Dantley-One of the ten best scorers ever
McGinniss-I think he's the only MVP not to get in
Johnston-lead the league in scoring, rebounding, and shooting % at different points, and multiple all NBA first teams.

magnax1
09-20-2014, 10:16 PM
Magic Johnson
Joe Dumars
Clyde Drexler
Moses Malone
Robert Parish
Dominique Wilkins
Neil Johnston
George McGinniss
Adrian Dantley

L.Kizzle
09-20-2014, 10:26 PM
Largest Ommissions are probably
Dantley-One of the ten best scorers ever
McGinniss-I think he's the only MVP not to get in
Johnston-lead the league in scoring, rebounding, and shooting % at different points, and multiple all NBA first teams.
Spencer Haywood is not in. He didn't even get enough votes to make the second ballot.

magnax1
09-20-2014, 10:29 PM
Spencer Haywood is not in. He didn't even get enough votes to make the second ballot.
I forgot Haywoood was even an MVP.

L.Kizzle
09-20-2014, 10:35 PM
I forgot Haywoood was even an MVP.
And he probably had a slightly better career than McGinnis. Two All-NBA 1st teams, two All-NBA second teams. A top 5 NBA MVP voting finish, another top 10 and two top 20 voting finishes.

kshutts1
09-21-2014, 10:11 AM
Don't have time now, but I'll come back to this in a bit.

dankok8
09-21-2014, 12:21 PM
Players eligible for the first time

Aguirre, Mark - 3x all-star; member of two Championship teams, averaged 25-6-4-1 in seven prime seasons.

Chambers, Tom - 4x all-star, 2x all-NBA; averaged 21-7-2-1 in eleven prime seasons.

Cumming, Terry - 2x all-star, 2x all-NBA; averaged 22-9-2-1 over eight prime seasons.

Daugherty, Brad - 5x all-star, 1x all-NBA; averaged 19-10-4-1 over six prime seasons.

Drexler, Clyde - 10x all-star, 5x all-NBA, played in three NBA Finals; 22-6-6-2 in twelve prime seasons; 2nd in 1992 MVP

Dumars, Joe - 1989 Finals MVP; 6x all-star, 2x all-NBA, 5x all-defense (4x first team); 18-2-5-1 in ten prime seasons.

Marčiulionis,

kshutts1
09-22-2014, 07:56 AM

Wilkins, Dominique - 9x all-star, 7x all-NBA; averaged 28-7-3-1 over eleven prime seasons; 2nd in 1986 MVP

Players still eligible after receiving multiple votes in the previous classes

Adrian Dantley -- Phenomenal scorer
Lenny Wilkens
Sergei Belov -- My pet, I guess. Bill Russell of the not-NBA
Sidney Moncrief
Bernard King
David Thompson
Gus Johnson
Bobby Jones
Drazen Petrovic
Bill Laimbeer
Neil Johnston -- Statistically dominant player.
Dave Bing -- Just a great player.
Bob Lanier
George McGinnis
Maurice Cheeks
Dan Issel

Edited to take out Parish and add McGinnis

SexSymbol
09-22-2014, 09:26 AM
Aguirre, Mark - Multiple all-star, champion, great prime

Chambers, Tom - not worth it, a better Keith Van Horn

Cumming, Terry - not worth it

Daugherty, Brad - not worth it

Drexler, Clyde - a top 5 SG of all time should make the HOF regardless of how succesful his PO career was

Dumars, Joe - 6x all-star, finals MVP must make the HOF
Johnson, Magic - yeah

Malone, Moses - easily

[B]Marčiulionis,

magnax1
09-22-2014, 03:46 PM
And he probably had a slightly better career than McGinnis. Two All-NBA 1st teams, two All-NBA second teams. A top 5 NBA MVP voting finish, another top 10 and two top 20 voting finishes.
Yeah, I dont think I could possibly disagree with that more. Haywood had like 5 all star seasons, McGinnis had around 7, and wasn't a worse player in any sort of noteworthy way. McGinnis clearly had a more noteworthy career.

WTFdidNBAbigsGO
09-22-2014, 03:46 PM
holy shiiiiiiit you guys are freaking ****!!!! I love bball, but you guys are taking it too far you ****nnnn dweeebs. lollllllll, WTF u guys needa do something better, this is the reason i never post on this site, you guys are freaking weeeeirdd:biggums:

L.Kizzle
09-22-2014, 04:32 PM
Yeah, I dont think I could possibly disagree with that more. Haywood had like 5 all star seasons, McGinnis had around 7, and wasn't a worse player in any sort of noteworthy way. McGinnis clearly had a more noteworthy career.
I think both are about as even as even can get. Both have seven season at 20+ and six seasons at 10+ (McGinnis with seven.) There career avgs are very similar. Haywood 20.3 ppg, 10.3 rpg, 1.1 bpg and McGinnis 20.2 ppg, 11 rpg and 1.8 spg.

McGinnis just had the luck of having better teams. He was on possibly the most talented ABA team in the Pacers (between them and Kentucky) and the most talented team in the NBA in Phily. Doc J, Free, Collins, Dawkins. They should have won the title in 77. He went from 21/12 in the regular season to 14/10. And it wasn't a fluke, the very next season he's 20/10 and in the playoffs, 15/8.

Besides his lone ABA season, his expansion Sonics made the playoffs once. And he did as bad as McGinnis, from 22/9 reg season to 16/8 playoffs. His second best player during his Sonics tenure was Fred Brown.

You can't go wrong with either being ahead of either. But they're not that far apart.

fpliii
09-23-2014, 11:51 AM
Hope you're feeling better G.O.A.T...

I think this is a pretty clear class of new players. Some good candidates but I think these 6 have to make it in:

Drexler
Dumars
Magic
Moses
Parish
Nique

From previous classes, I'm still supporting Sergei Belov, Gus Johnson, Sidney Moncrief, Drazen Petrovic, and Bobby Jones.

That's 11 though...I guess I'll have to drop support of Parish since he probably shouldn't be unanimous, but will clearly make it in this time (I think he's better than Dumars, but Dumars will need the support to make it in it seems).

Can someone tell me more about Marčiulionis? Should I be supporting him here?