PDA

View Full Version : 1988: Bird outplaying Jordan the ENTIRE season..the worst an MVP has been disgraced?

mehyaM24
09-20-2014, 09:07 PM
jordan won MVP in 1988, but his runner up, larry bird, completely trashed him in H2H matchups.

bird led boston to an 8-1 record in the regular season over jordan's bulls, and in all but ONE game, he outplayed jordan statistically.

few highlights to the games referenced:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdMjK-60H-k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp0NMFf9Dkg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEaNwJPssEs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zk1vWGxEXo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ChmRhlFzk0

come playoff time, the bulls were to be had in 5 by the pistons, and ironically enough, the cetlics just a year before, in a sweep (in one of those games, jordan went scoreless in the 4th quarter while the bulls were up double digits to begin the period. bird? went off scoring at least 12 points to close the game out).

the only other year i can think of where an mvp completely and throughly was out played, had to have been robinson in 1995 vs hakeem. but even then, that was just in a playoff series. the volume here is larger.

Young X
09-20-2014, 09:11 PM
The Bulls and Celtics were 3-3 that season and Jordan averaged 39/7/5 against them. WTF are you talking about?

And why would you bring up the Pistons series when Bird played TERRIBLE against them?

JT123
09-20-2014, 09:13 PM
It's up there, but I would say Kevin Durant getting shut down by two midgets in the 2014 playoffs was the worst an MVP has been disgraced. :facepalm

Warfan
09-20-2014, 09:15 PM
MJ had games of

46/6/6
39/3/8
50/5/9
42/4/6

That year, and the bulls and celtics were 3-3 in their matchups that year

mehyaM24
09-20-2014, 09:28 PM
The Bulls and Celtics were 3-3 that season and Jordan averaged 39/7/5 against them. WTF are you talking about?

And why would you bring up the Pistons series when Bird played TERRIBLE against them?

i added the 1987 season into the mix, as noted in my OP below. should have explained that better. anyway, to be more clearer, there was point from 1987 - 1988 where bird's celtics went 9-1 against the bulls and he outplayed jordan statistically (all but one game)

here are a couple stat-lines from 1988:

January 12 1988
bird 38/9/8 on 58% fg
jordan 42/4/6 on 53% fg
(Celtics win)

March 20 1988
bird 33/7/8 on 67% fg
jordan 26/4/7 on 56% fg
(Celtics win)

April 21 1988
bird 44/10/3 on 66% fg
jordan 39/3/8 on 52% fg
(Celtics win)

Nuff Said
09-20-2014, 09:30 PM
I need op to address these "3-3" comments please.

mehyaM24
09-20-2014, 09:30 PM
It's up there, but I would say Kevin Durant getting shut down by two midgets in the 2014 playoffs was the worst an MVP has been disgraced. :facepalm

in a H2H against a superstar caliber player? i dont know.

hakeem vs drob is definitely up there. cant front (i was a big fan of drob).

mehyaM24
09-20-2014, 09:31 PM
I need op to address these "3-3" comments please.

young x is right. i included some 1987 matchups in there.

read the post above yours.

Nuff Said
09-20-2014, 09:33 PM
young x is right. i included some 1987 matchups in there.

read the post above yours.
I don't understand tho. Including more games diminishes the 3 wins the bulls had into 9-1?

ILLsmak
09-20-2014, 09:36 PM
I don't understand tho. Including more games diminishes the 3 wins the bulls had into 9-1?

he included them instead of some losses obvi.

-Smak

ArbitraryWater
09-20-2014, 09:41 PM
Com bro... You can't just include '87 stuff when you're talking about '88.

MVP was well deserved.

kennethgriffin
09-20-2014, 09:47 PM
i've called out MJ's 1988 mvp many times

why is he allowed to win mvp with an 8th best record team

bird and magic both had #1 seeds

Young X
09-20-2014, 09:53 PM
i added the 1987 season into the mix, as noted in my OP below. should have explained that better. anyway, to be more clearer, there was point from 1987 - 1988 where bird's celtics went 9-1 against the bulls and he outplayed jordan statistically (all but one game)Why would you add the '87 season into the mix when the thread is about the '88 MVP? MJ wasn't the same player he was in '87 that he was in '88, he clearly improved his game.

So MJ's '88 MVP is the worst MVP ever because of what happened in '87, his 2nd full year in the league? This is what you have to resort to? Using a different season to discredit an MVP?

:biggums: :biggums: :biggums:

mehyaM24
09-20-2014, 09:54 PM

another great point. who the **** wins an mvp with an 8th seeded team?

honestly if that isnt media hype,i dont know what is.

mehyaM24
09-20-2014, 09:57 PM
Why would you add the '87 season into the mix when the thread is about the '88 MVP? MJ wasn't the same player he was in '87 that he was in '88, he clearly improved his game.

mostly because of what happened in 1987 spilled into 1988. look @ the 3 games i quoted. bird and the celtics rocked jordan's bulls.

if i had to start the thread over, i wouldnt have even added 1987 into this discussion. its merely a point of reference.

So MJ's '88 MVP is the worst MVP ever because of what happened in '87, his 2nd full year in the league?

again, look at the H2H games i posted from 1988. bird completely outplayed jordan in them (better stats/his team won).

Nuff Said
09-20-2014, 10:06 PM
mostly because of what happened in 1987 spilled into 1988. look @ the 3 games i quoted. bird and the celtics rocked jordan's bulls.

if i had to start the thread over, i wouldnt have even added 1987 into this discussion. its merely a point of reference.

again, look at the H2H games i posted from 1988. bird completely outplayed jordan in them (better stats/his team won).

We would have to see the stats in all the games not just some in order to fairly judge the MVP voting.

juju151111
09-20-2014, 10:17 PM

Bro Mj didn't win MVP in 87 retard. The whole promise of your thread makes no sense. They were 3-3 in 88. Bro stop your a idiot.

DonDadda59
09-20-2014, 10:17 PM
If this thread isn't proof that we need negs back... I don't know what it will take :confusedshrug:

Cali Syndicate
09-20-2014, 10:30 PM
This is why Lebron stans can't be taken seriously. Retarded.

You include 87, yeah ok cause that makes sense right? The Celtics were defending champs and bulls were still building. Bulls weren't evne a .500 team and you can't put two and two together as to why MJ couldn't lead his mediocre squad against an elite team? Retarded.

Premise of your thread is the 88 season, where the bulls were 3-3 with the Celtics. MJ put up a fight every game and produced numbers Lebron stans would nut over and fight how it's a team game if he lost. retarded.

Then you talk about how the Bulls got dusted by the Pistons in 5, yet the Celtics, a MUCH better team than the Bulls that season, lost in 6. Derp. But wait there's more. MJ put up respectable numbers against the Pistons. What did Bird put up? 38% from the field. Wait, what?? Yeah, retarded.

Retarded

Cali Syndicate
09-20-2014, 10:37 PM
And do you know why MJ won MVP in 88? Becuase he played out of his mind on BOTH sides of the court while carrying essentially the same cast from 87 along with rookie Pip and Grant coming off the bench. If 35ppg 6apg and elite defense isn't earned, then what is?.

AceManIII
09-20-2014, 10:40 PM
Talk abowt a thread backfire...

ballinhun8
09-20-2014, 11:16 PM
This is why kids shouldn't sniff glue in Kindergarten

SHAQisGOAT
09-20-2014, 11:46 PM
This is why Lebron stans can't be taken seriously. Retarded.

You include 87, yeah ok cause that makes sense right? The Celtics were defending champs and bulls were still building. Bulls weren't evne a .500 team and you can't put two and two together as to why MJ couldn't lead his mediocre squad against an elite team? Retarded.

Premise of your thread is the 88 season, where the bulls were 3-3 with the Celtics. MJ put up a fight every game and produced numbers Lebron stans would nut over and fight how it's a team game if he lost. retarded.

Then you talk about how the Bulls got dusted by the Pistons in 5, yet the Celtics, a MUCH better team than the Bulls that season, lost in 6. Derp. But wait there's more. MJ put up respectable numbers against the Pistons. What did Bird put up? 38% from the field. Wait, what?? Yeah, retarded.

Agree with everything there but Bird, most of the time, gets shit for that series while people forget to mention that he "needed" ankles and even back surgeries (what happened right after)...

Larry averaged 27.1/10.4/7.6 on .572 TS%, vs the Pistons in 1987; absolute main reason the Celtics even got past them, clutch af... Yet in the following year he wasn't even remotely close to the same numbers, impact, play, so on... notice something strange there? :confusedshrug: Bird didn't like to publicize his injuries and even express them on the court though, unlike some other NBA primma donnas.
After the 1988 ECSF, where he was playing just great, giving his all as always, coming through clutch and leading them 4-3 past Dominique's Hawks, he was essentially done (and never even played at that 1984-88 level again til the end of his career).

Oh, and the Celtics didn't have the team to compete with the top dogs anymore during those years, especially in the stacked East. McHale played through a broken foot and was never quite the same again, DJ was old, Sichting dropped his play while Walton and Wedman were gone (Bias died), they had virtually no bench.
Bird (and more) was playing more minutes than ever, dealing with injuries, bumps and bruises, after years of very physical basketball, going through extremely gruelsome series and great teams.

Shep
09-21-2014, 12:06 AM
lol Jordan was easily the most valuable player that year. His first of what should have been 7 mvp's, including 5 in a row.

Cali Syndicate
09-21-2014, 12:13 AM
Agree with everything there but Bird, most of the time, gets shit for that series while people forget to mention that he "needed" ankles and even back surgeries (what happened right after)...

Larry averaged 27.1/10.4/7.6 on .572 TS%, vs the Pistons in 1987; absolute main reason the Celtics even got past them, clutch af... Yet in the following year he wasn't even remotely close to the same numbers, impact, play, so on... notice something strange there? :confusedshrug: Bird didn't like to publicize his injuries and even express them on the court though, unlike some other NBA primma donnas.
After the 1988 ECSF, where he was playing just great, giving his all as always, coming through clutch and leading them 4-3 past Dominique's Hawks, he was essentially done (and never even played at that 1984-88 level again til the end of his career).

Oh, and the Celtics didn't have the team to compete with the top dogs anymore during those years, especially in the stacked East. McHale played through a broken foot and was never quite the same again, DJ was old, Sichting dropped his play while Walton and Wedman were gone (Bias died), they had virtually no bench.
Bird (and more) was playing more minutes than ever, dealing with injuries, bumps and bruises, after years of very physical basketball, going through extremely gruelsome series and great teams.

No, i get that. I knew Bird always had that lingering back issue throughout his career. Bird even missed games against the Bulls in that 88 season as well which was why the Bulls were even .500 against them.With Bird playing, I'd imagine W-L results similar to 87 TBH. But My main point was that the Celtics still had a far better team than the Bulls.

I didn't know that about Bird in 88. I saw his production in the two series before and figured the Pistons just had his number that series. That's good to know though. I always thought the true real start of his injury plagued downfall was the beginning of 89 with his surgery. 88 could have easily took him over that edge though.

Deuce Bigalow
09-21-2014, 12:18 AM
OP rekt

SamuraiSWISH
09-21-2014, 12:52 AM

Yet you praise peak Kobe's 2006 season, when he should've been MVP carrying bums right? Peak Kobe's 2006 season was a poor man's version of pre prime MJ's 1988 campaign:

Kobe's 35 / 5 / 5

v.s.

MJ's 35 / 6 / 6 and 3 SPG ... DPOY

sportjames23
09-21-2014, 01:19 AM
jordan won MVP in 1988, but his runner up, larry bird, completely trashed him in H2H matchups.

bird led boston to an 8-1 record in the regular season over jordan's bulls, and in all but ONE game, he outplayed jordan statistically.

come playoff time, the bulls were to be had in 5 by the pistons, and ironically enough, the cetlics just a year before, in a sweep (in one of those games, jordan went scoreless in the 4th quarter while the bulls were up double digits to begin the period. bird? went off scoring at least 12 points to close the game out).

the only other year i can think of where an mvp completely and throughly was out played, had to have been robinson in 1995 vs hakeem. but even then, that was just in a playoff series. the volume here is larger.

Why this ph@ggot is banned for obviously blatant trolling is beyond me.

mehyaM24
09-21-2014, 01:19 AM
Yet you praise peak Kobe's 2006 season, when he should've been MVP carrying bums right? Peak Kobe's 2006 season was a poor man's version of pre prime MJ's 1988 campaign:

Kobe's 35 / 5 / 5

v.s.

if kobe won the MVP you would have a point. fact is , he didn't- so jordan winning an mvp with an 8th seeded team, while being outplayed by bird, H2H, statistically, deserves an asterisk.

nobody today is winning an mvp award just squeezing out a playoff birth. LOL

scandisk_
09-21-2014, 01:20 AM
I really have a hard time believing that these fools are legit bron fans :facepalm

Quit the act fool.

mehyaM24
09-21-2014, 01:22 AM
I really have a hard time believing that these fools are legit bron fans :facepalm

Quit the act fool.

who am i fan of then? jordan?

:biggums:

Sarcastic
09-21-2014, 03:09 AM
OP didn't even watch an NBA game in 1988, let alone 1998, and people are taking him serious? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Mods, why are trolls like this still allowed to make new threads?

iamgine
09-21-2014, 03:16 AM

First, MVP is a regular season award.

Second, what happened in the previous season carried no weight towards the following season.

Third, the Celtics were by far a better team than the Bulls at that point, often named the best team of all time.

Fourth, Bulls went 3-3 against Celtics in the '87-'88 regular season.

So...premise fail?

Cali Syndicate
09-21-2014, 03:18 AM
if kobe won the MVP you would have a point. fact is , he didn't- so jordan winning an mvp with an 8th seeded team, while being outplayed by bird, H2H, statistically, deserves an asterisk.

Bulls were the 3rd seeded team. What do you mean squeezing out a playoff berth?

50wins would've also been the 3rd seed last season, and the season before.

Lebron stans talking about asterisks, funny stuff.

Cali Syndicate
09-21-2014, 03:27 AM
First, MVP is a regular season award.

Second, what happened in the previous season carried no weight towards the following season.

Third, the Celtics were by far a better team than the Bulls at that point, often named the best team of all time.

Fourth, Bulls went 3-3 against Celtics in the '87-'88 regular season.

So...premise fail?

Op is an idiot, but celtics were Actually 9-1 against MJ and the Bulls. He at least got that notion close to correct.

iamgine
09-21-2014, 03:40 AM
Op is an idiot, but celtics were Actually 9-1 against MJ and the Bulls. He at least got that notion close to correct.
Am I missing something here? Didn't that happen in the previous season? Also, wasn't it 9-0 and not 9-1?

Cali Syndicate
09-21-2014, 03:54 AM
Am I missing something here? Didn't that happen in the previous season? Also, wasn't it 9-0 and not 9-1?

Bird played MJ 6 times in 87. Celtics won all 6. 9-0 if you count the playoffs.

Celtics played the Bulls 6 times in 88, season series went 3-3 however Bird missed 2 games the Celtics lost. When Bird played, Celtics were 3-1.

9-1.

Fact is, Bird and the Celtics dominated MJ and the Bulls. Most people who actually understand basketball would understand why though unlike the OP.

Collie
09-21-2014, 05:55 AM
Bird played MJ 6 times in 87. Celtics won all 6. 9-0 if you count the playoffs.

Celtics played the Bulls 6 times in 88, season series went 3-3 however Bird missed 2 games the Celtics lost. When Bird played, Celtics were 3-1.

9-1.

Fact is, Bird and the Celtics dominated MJ and the Bulls. Most people who actually understand basketball would understand why though unlike the OP.

This is the essence of it all. The Celtics were a far better team top to bottom. Remember, this was just a year or two removed from a top 3 team all time.

K Xerxes
09-21-2014, 07:07 AM

OP knows nothing about 80s basketball. He took the comment that Jordan was on the 8th best record team and assumed that meant the Bulls were 8th in their conference and hence struggled to get into the playoffs. A thread based on dishonesty continues... or the OP lacks basic google skills.

Dragonyeuw
09-21-2014, 09:35 AM

Kobe's 35 / 5 / 5

v.s.

Glad you posted this, because this is precisely what came to mind reading the first page. These folks criticizing MJ's 88 MVP as an 8th seed are the same type who piss and moan that Kobe didn't win in 2006 under similar conditions. And for the record, I do think Kobe was deserving in 2006, but the double standards on these board are hilarious.

SHAQisGOAT
09-21-2014, 10:34 AM
This is the essence of it all. The Celtics were a far better team top to bottom. Remember, this was just a year or two removed from a top 3 team all time.

Far better? People are just reaching now... Better? Yes, but not far better by any means. Even proved by a 7-win difference, and that the Celtics were 0-2 vs them when Bird (their best player) didn't play.

Doesn't mean all that much what happened two seasons before...
McHale played through a broken foot in the 1987 playoffs and was never quite the same afterwards, didn't play constantly at his full strength and peak level ever again, couldn't always play (missed 20 regular-season games).
DJ was old and almost retired.
Sichting was not at the same level.
Walton and Wedman were gone and their bench was sub-par (Reggie Lewis didn't come into his own yet). Their starters were at a 31 years old average and playing more minutes than ever, tbh KC ran them down to the ground.

K Xerxes
09-21-2014, 11:14 AM
Glad you posted this, because this is precisely what came to mind reading the first page. These folks criticizing MJ's 88 MVP as an 8th seed are the same type who piss and moan that Kobe didn't win in 2006 under similar conditions. And for the record, I do think Kobe was deserving in 2006, but the double standards on these board are hilarious.

Just to be clear:

87-88 Bulls: 50-32 3rd seed EC

05-06 Lakers: 45-37 7th seed WC

MJ led his team to a better record and seeding, put up better stats and won DPOY. Not the same situation.

scandisk_
09-21-2014, 11:31 AM

bruce, is dat u?

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

mehyaM24
09-21-2014, 11:56 AM
- bird wins H2H statistically
- his team has a better record (won 7 more games)

yet jordan won the mvp? wait what?

not only that, but jordan won DPOY too, despite being an inferior defensive player to dennis rodman (who also had a better record), mchale (better record), and hakeem :oldlol:

what really changed from 1987 to 1988. seriously? bird still dicked jordan. :confusedshrug:

guy
09-21-2014, 11:59 AM
Wow OP is a dumbass :oldlol:

guy
09-21-2014, 12:05 PM
Why did Lebron win MVP in 2012 when he couldn't close a game out to save his life in 2011?:hammerhead:

mehyaM24
09-21-2014, 12:06 PM
jordan's DPOY: hakeem and malone = better defensive rating and defensive win shares

can you say MEDIA HYPE?

mehyaM24
09-21-2014, 12:22 PM

pretty obvious i was thinking of the 87 season, where chicago made the playoffs losing 40+ games. but sure, ill let ya think you "got me". :oldlol:

point is, not many teams today, especially in the western conference, are making the playoffs losing ~40 games. not many players have the 8th best record (1988) in the league, get out played by a better player on a better team, H2H, and still win an MVP. just saying.

Kargo
09-21-2014, 01:03 PM
You really are a certified nutcase....I've never seen anyone so obsessed with someone throwing a leather ball through a metal rim,and constantly trying to belittle his predecessor.

A fine example of how pathetic human beings have become in this digitalized era.Stop living through Lebron and seek some help.

DJ Leon Smith
09-21-2014, 01:23 PM
Is this thread about how in 2006 a Kobe-led team failed to make the playoffs while a team with Vladimir Radmanovic as their third-leading scored had HCA in the post-season?

Oh it's not.

My mistake, sorry.

Sorry Kobe fans.

Sorry InsideHoops.

Sorry Jeff.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

ArbitraryWater
09-21-2014, 01:25 PM
Why did Lebron win MVP in 2012 when he couldn't close a game out to save his life in 2011?:hammerhead:

I agree with the premise, but LeBron epically closed out both series' against the Celtics and Bulls in MULTIPLE games each time..

DJ Leon Smith
09-21-2014, 01:31 PM
Oh and has anyone brought up Bird disgracing Kobe's MVP year?

His only MVP year.

He only was MVP once.

Just one year.

Has anyone mentioned that.

Because maybe someone should.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

DJ Leon Smith
09-21-2014, 01:49 PM
Seriously.

And that '88 Bulls team had NO BUSINESS even winning 50 regular season games. Even in Chicago, they were actually considered underdogs in the first round of their playoffs.

So MJ led the Bulls to 5 more wins, a rebound / assist per game better, the same volume scoring, WAY better defense, and superior playoff performance than Kobe's 2006 season.

I think 50 wins is an un-spoken, arbitrary hard line number of wins for an MVP candidate to win MVP. And I prefer it be kept that way, honestly.

Yea, that Laker team was garbage, but they still had one of the GOAT coaches. I think 45 wins, with Kobe / PJ's help about maximized their full potential given what they had on that roster: Smush, Mihm, Cook, Kwame, etc.

Are you talking about the year they didn't make the playoffs? In Kobe's physical prime? And the Sonics had HCA and their third leading scorer was Vlad Rad?

Weak era to not make the playoffs.

DJ Leon Smith
09-21-2014, 01:58 PM
No, in 2006 Lakers won 45 games with trash supporting cast. Kobe carried them all season to the tine of 35 ppg. 10 50+ games, including explosions for 81, and 62 in 3 quarters.

In the playoffs Kobe led the Lakers against the #2 seed, and were a long rebound away from upsetting them in 6 games. Tim Thomas got lucky, extended the series ... and the Lakers lost confidence, crashing back to earth.

You're thinking of the 2005 season. A year where Kobe played injured the entire season, and the Lakers lost their coach mid season, and the roster was plagued with much turmoil.

BTW, Kareem, the guy who people prop up on ISH as a GOAT didn't make the playoffs during his prime either. Kobe at least had an excuse, he was injured, and didn't have a coach.

No, thank you for correcting me. Because Kobe missed a similar amount of games to Jordan with the Wizards when they didn't make the playoffs (when he came back to the NBA in his 40s) - another time where Kobe stans try to prop up their boy against Jordan.

I stand corrected :D

P.S. Kobe was't injured the entire season, he only missed a handful of games less than MJ in his worst comeback season. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

diamenz
09-21-2014, 02:07 PM
http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/cave_306c59_1052289.jpg

K Xerxes
09-21-2014, 02:23 PM
pretty obvious i was thinking of the 87 season, where chicago made the playoffs losing 40+ games. but sure, ill let ya think you "got me". :oldlol:

Then you're an idiot - Jordan didn't win the MVP in 87. This is what you said:

So clearly you made a mistake here, deliberately or accidentally.

Anyway once again you continue to include the 87 season - which was Jordan's second full season as a professional - as though it was part of the 88 season. It wasn't. 86-87 and 87-88 were two separate seasons. Jordan won the MVP leading his substandard team to the 3rd seed in the EC, putting up 35-6-6 (best stats) and performing like a beast defensively (3spg and DPOY). He fully deserved the MVP and the situation was not like Kobe's 06 season.

dankok8
09-21-2014, 02:24 PM
Bulls were 3-3 vs. the Celtics but only 1-3 in games Bird played.

And Larry won 3 out of the 4 individual match-ups with MJ but got simply hammered in the 4th one so the cumulative stats lie.

87-88 Season:

12/01/88

Bird: 38/9/8 (58%)
Jordan: 42/4/6 (53%)

Celtics win. Bird wins match-up.

18/03/88

Bird: 19/10/6 (42%)
Jordan: 50/5/9 (59%)

Bulls win. Jordan finally wins head to head and it's the only time he really outplayed Bird in these 2 seasons.

20/03/88

Bird: 33/7/8 (67%)
Jordan: 26/4/7 (56%)

Celtics win. Bird wins match-up

21/04/88

Bird: 44/10/3 (65.5%)
Jordan: 39/3/8 (51.5%)

Celtics win. Bird wins match-up.

Cumulative Stats:

Bird: 33.5/9.0/6.3 (59%)
Jordan: 39.3/4.0/7.5 (55%)

Stats are close this year but they are skewed by the one game Jordan dominated and outscored Bird 50-19. Bird still outplayed MJ in 3/4 games and Boston went 3-1.

ArbitraryWater
09-21-2014, 02:42 PM
No, in 2006 Lakers won 45 games with trash supporting cast. Kobe carried them all season to the tine of 35 ppg. 10 50+ games, including explosions for 81, and 62 in 3 quarters.

In the playoffs Kobe led the Lakers against the #2 seed, and were a long rebound away from upsetting them in 6 games. Tim Thomas got lucky, extended the series ... and the Lakers lost confidence, crashing back to earth.

You're thinking of the 2005 season. A year where Kobe played injured the entire season, and the Lakers lost their coach mid season, and the roster was plagued with much turmoil.

BTW, Kareem, the guy who people prop up on ISH as a GOAT didn't make the playoffs during his prime either. Kobe at least had an excuse, he was injured, and didn't have a coach.

Correction, Kobe had 6 50+ point games.

swagga
09-21-2014, 02:50 PM
even if this is OBVIOUS trolling it is based on an intersting argument. Winning MVP with the 8th seed shouldn't be possible imo.

Lebron23
09-21-2014, 02:53 PM
21 yrs.old Lebron averaged 31/7/7 and the Cavs won 50 games. And he placed 2nd in MVP voting behind Nash.

SamuraiSWISH
09-21-2014, 03:02 PM
21 yrs.old Lebron averaged 31/7/7 and the Cavs won 50 games. And he placed 2nd in MVP voting behind Nash.
Yea but LeBron's 2006 Cavs were more talented than the 2006 Lakers outside of their best players. If slightly. More importantly, the East was garbage. The West was better.

So that 5 game difference in the record to me is negated, cause I think that 2006 Laker team w/ Kobe could win 5 more games in that Eastern conference.

It's funny ... Nash's 2005, and 2006 MVPs ... not only was there better choices in 2006. Namely between Kobe, and LeBron. I'd actually say Nash's 2007 season was better than both the seasons he actually won the award.

K Xerxes
09-21-2014, 03:08 PM
It's funny ... Nash's 2005, and 2006 MVPs ... not only was there better choices in 2006. Namely between Kobe, and LeBron. I'd actually say Nash's 2007 season was better than both the seasons he actually won the award.

I think this too... now imagine if Nash 3-peated the MVP. :oldlol:

TheMan
09-21-2014, 05:33 PM

LOL, looks like they Mehya fggot doesn't know wtf he's talking about. When this jagoff mentioned that the Bulls and Celtics played 9 times in the RS, right away I was like :biggums:
:oldlol: OP is a fggot of the highest order :roll:

TheMan
09-21-2014, 05:48 PM

God no, you'd drop our collective group IQ to below zero levels with your GOAT idiocy :oldlol:

Retards like you make LeBron stans the joke fanbase of ISH :oldlol:

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
09-21-2014, 05:56 PM
I thought MODS were supposed to be cleaning up bait/troll threads? Ya'll on extended vacation now?

mehyaM24
09-21-2014, 06:14 PM
God no, you'd drop our collective group IQ to below zero levels with your GOAT idiocy :oldlol:

Retards like you make LeBron stans the joke fanbase of ISH :oldlol:

LOL @ you sweating me. relax brah

TheMan
09-21-2014, 06:31 PM
LOL @ you sweating me. relax brah
Lol, what? Not even.:oldlol: If this thread was real life, you would've had your anus gaped and filled with a quart of jizz the way you got ass fvcked after your opening post :oldlol:

You're joke of a poster, zero credibility. Take the massive L and move on, kid. There are other ways to try to discredit MJ, get to work and get creative :applause:

Next time come heavy or don't come at all:coleman:

Dragonyeuw
09-21-2014, 07:24 PM
Just to be clear:

87-88 Bulls: 50-32 3rd seed EC

05-06 Lakers: 45-37 7th seed WC

MJ led his team to a better record and seeding, put up better stats and won DPOY. Not the same situation.

Thanks for the correction, for whatever reason I was thinking the Bulls were an 8th seed that year.

guy
09-21-2014, 07:41 PM
I agree with the premise, but LeBron epically closed out both series' against the Celtics and Bulls in MULTIPLE games each time..

True. But he was terrible during the regular season. And of course, no need to mention the finals.

ArbitraryWater
09-21-2014, 07:44 PM
True. But he was terrible during the regular season. And of course, no need to mention the finals.

Yea.. Can't question that. Mainly in last second shots (Regular season). Bricked every single one of them but for a game tying dunk against Memphis.

Cali Syndicate
09-21-2014, 08:05 PM

point is, not many teams today, especially in the western conference, are making the playoffs losing ~40 games. not many players have the 8th best record (1988) in the league, get out played by a better player on a better team, H2H, and still win an MVP. just saying.

Thread title-
"1988, MJ's MVP overrated"

OP-
"Overrated MJ won MVP with the 8th seeded Bulls barely making the playoffs"

Me-
"you're an idiot"

OP-
"OMG! It's obvious I'm referring to 87"

Soooooooo, yeah.........nevermind. My apologies. You actually are retarded.

GrapeApe
09-21-2014, 08:14 PM
A player who leads the league in scoring while winning DPOY is hardly "disgracing" the MVP award.

riseagainst
09-22-2014, 04:40 PM
OP is getting rekt.

:roll:

Soundwave
09-22-2014, 07:03 PM
I see the mods are still letting the same 3-5 Bran stans run wild and unsupervised like kids hopped up on too much sugar throwing their toys all over place.

SamuraiSWISH
09-22-2014, 07:18 PM
I see the mods are still letting the same 3-5 Bran stans run wild and unsupervised like kids hopped up on too much sugar throwing their toys all over place.
:oldlol:

sportjames23
09-23-2014, 02:18 AM

I know, right? SSDD, bruh.