PDA

View Full Version : Are we ignoring the chance the spurs might....

toxicxr6
09-21-2014, 07:06 PM
Actually improve again next season..

I mean it seems that because they won the championship people here are just assuming that they peaked last year.. I'm not totally sure that's the case and here's why

This team has been steadily improving the last three seasons.. Why can't they do it again? Most people use the argument they are getting too old... But I think that argument has passed the point of being relevant... If that was the case wouldn't the spurs be regressing the last few seasons instead of improving? I know Duncan and manu are old but it seems in this system they can still be very effective..

The improvement of this spurs team is due to their young talent improving..
Leonard while his stats last couple of seasons have not improved greatly at first glance.. He has become far more efficient on offense and improved dramatically on defense.. I see no reason why he wouldn't improve on both ends of the floor next season.. He is no where near his peak yet..

Danny green is entering his peak now.. Absolutely letal from 3 point range as good as anyone in the league.. Over the last couple of years his man to man defense has improved a lot.. Now being one of the better man to man defenders in the league .. His release has gotten much faster and in the finals seem he could add a nice tear drop move to his offense. Again I think he is capable of improving next season too

Boris diaw while not in his prime had his best year as a spur last season... With his unique skillset it seems he is improving as his chemistry with the spurs roster improves over time.. Another year of developing chemistry within the team.. He also could improve next season again

Patty mills omg did this guy explode last season.. He will miss the first few months but has plenty of time to get it right before the playoffs.. Played with a significant injury most the season and age wise just starting the enter his prime.. This kid still has improvement in his game as his tenacity, lethal 3 point shooting and ability to bother people on defense was a key this year..

Tiago splitter is an interesting one.. His has his weakness for sure but what he can do he has developed that very well. His finesse under the basket is superb now . His defense against dirk and Aldridge in the playoffs was a key for the spurs.. His is in his prime now but he is still capable of improving his game..

Marco bellinelli didn't have a great playoffs .. His defensive rotations were too slow and could be because he needs more time in this spurs team to improving his understand of their rotations and plays.. He is very capable and I would be surprised if he didn't get better next season with more time in this team

Corey Joseph is very young but has showed he has talent.. Great defensive pg and capable of some explosive offense moves if he can develop them... Another year and getting more playing time while patty is out.. I expect him to get better this year...

Duncan/manu/Parker.... Yes I know they are getting older.. But that has been spoken about for years and the spurs are getting better..
Can we just assume they peaked?? How can we accept that before seeing the team decline?? Maybe we are going to see one of the really special teams next year..

Any thoughts??

kamil
09-21-2014, 07:09 PM
Everyone always sleeps on the spurs. If it weren't for Ray Allen's miracle three pointer, Spurs would have had back to back championships..... yet nobody talks about it.

ArbitraryWater
09-21-2014, 07:11 PM
Everyone always sleeps on the spurs. If it weren't for Ray Allen's miracle three pointer, Spurs would have had back to back championships..... yet nobody talks about it.

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Blackadder-Confused-Look.gif

dubeta
09-21-2014, 07:13 PM
I predict Tony Parker will end next season with 5 rings and 2 FMVP's

those stats sound familiar? :pimp:

Megabox!
09-21-2014, 07:48 PM
Uhh what makes you think the Spurs could've won back to back if they would've won in 2013? That loss in 2013 made them the dominant team we saw in the 2014 finals, they were motivated.

kurple
09-21-2014, 07:52 PM
kyle anderson is a perfect fit in san antonio

Budadiiii
09-21-2014, 07:53 PM
Spurs are done.

kurple
09-21-2014, 07:56 PM
Spurs are done.
this guy

ZMonkey11
09-21-2014, 08:32 PM
Uhh what makes you think the Spurs could've won back to back if they would've won in 2013? That loss in 2013 made them the dominant team we saw in the 2014 finals, they were motivated.

uhh because they won it in 2014.:biggums:

kamil
09-21-2014, 08:39 PM
uhh because they won it in 2014.:biggums:

LOL, clear as mud, huh?

InfiniteBaskets
09-21-2014, 08:47 PM
Actually improve again next season..

Leonard ...

Danny green...

Boris diaw...

Patty mills...

Tiago splitter....

Marco bellinelli....

Corey Joseph...

Any thoughts??

Other than Manu/Timmy/Parker, the other guys you listed are nothing special except for the high potential of Leonard. The only reason why they sound so good is because they play for the Spurs.

You could list a slew of any above average IQ roleplayers and then say "Spurs" and they would sound good. I think that's why people don't talk about the Spurs. We know what to expect. It doesn't matter what roster they field, so long as they have Pop and Buford at the helm, they are going to compete, and it's gotten redundant.

PsychoBe
09-21-2014, 08:51 PM
the "next generation" of spurs will be born.

patty mills with kawhi leonard and tiago splitter as well as boris diaw and corey joseph will take the league by storm in the post-duncan-parker-ginnobli era.

Haymaker
09-21-2014, 09:00 PM
Duncan said it best when he told the reporters how hard was to regain and keep that focus for so long after such a devastating finals loss the previous season. They will need another season of good health for their core and the role players to raise their games even higher to get to the finals again.

StrongLurk
09-21-2014, 09:03 PM

:eek: :pimp:

Inferno
09-21-2014, 09:06 PM
Time for the Dubs to get payback for 2013

tpols
09-21-2014, 09:15 PM
Other than Manu/Timmy/Parker, the other guys you listed are nothing special except for the high potential of Leonard. The only reason why they sound so good is because they play for the Spurs.

You could list a slew of any above average IQ roleplayers and then say "Spurs" and they would sound good. I think that's why people don't talk about the Spurs. We know what to expect. It doesn't matter what roster they field, so long as they have Pop and Buford at the helm, they are going to compete, and it's gotten redundant.

Not really.. the spurs right now have some real high character, unselfish smart guys.. Guys like leanord and Diaw are extremely important.

Weve seen the spurs with Richard Jefferson, George Hill, stephen Jackson level role players just a few years ago and they were losing to the grizzlies.. because those guys are not nearly as smart or skilled or team oriented as the surrounding role players they have now. The spurs cant just make any dumbass smart.

InfiniteBaskets
09-21-2014, 09:20 PM
Not really.. the spurs only take high character, unselfish smart guys.. Guys like leanord and Diaw are extremely important.

Weve seen the spurs with Richard Jefferson, George Hill, stephen Jackson level role players just a few years ago and they were losing to the grizzlies.. because those guys are not nearly as smart or skilled or team oriented as the surrounding role players they have now. The spurs cant just make any dumbass smart.

Well I did say above average IQ, typically that means being smart enough to realize when being selfish hurts the team and when it helps.

I actually thought the Spurs liked George Hill as a person, but didn't see him as the right fit given their PG situation and opted to develop Leonard at SF instead. Jackson not fitting makes sense to me, they took a gamble and it didn't work out. The Richard Jefferson saga was the only one that perplexed me.

And I do believe almost all of ISH wouldn't bat an eyelash if we gave all of Leonard, Diaw, Splitter, Green, Mills, Bellinili, Joseph to the Knicks or Lakers for free. High IQ team guys only function well when there's a solid system in place with a top tier coach to tap into their synergies.

T_L_P
09-21-2014, 09:27 PM
Time for the Dubs to get payback for 2013

RJEFF missing those FTs was a nice "I'm gonna miss you guys" present. :oldlol:

thefatmiral
09-21-2014, 10:44 PM
it was the manu meltdown. not allen.

ZMonkey11
09-21-2014, 11:04 PM
LOL, clear as mud, huh?

So I am led to assume that because of "motivation" issues that would not have occurred, you will select a team that didn't win the championship the previous year. So the team that won is not the best team.

ellipsis

toxicxr6
09-22-2014, 12:22 AM
So I am led to assume that because of "motivation" issues that would not have occurred, you will select a team that didn't win the championship the previous year. So the team that won is not the best team.

ellipsis

does the spurs team ever look like a team lacking motivation? the result of 2013 would never change them winning in 2014.. he is red bar for a reason

tpols
09-22-2014, 12:38 AM
does the spurs team ever look like a team lacking motivation? the result of 2013 would never change them winning in 2014.. he is red bar for a reason

I think it made a difference in the lopsided scores.. they probably wouldve won anyways but not by the biggest margins in history. They were pretty pissed they threw it away in 2013 after pretty much having had it locked up.

Megabox!
09-22-2014, 01:18 AM

ellipsis
Just because they "could've" won in 2013 in some sort of "what if" scenario, it doesn't mean they were guaranteed to win again in 2014.

scm5
09-22-2014, 11:21 AM

Context matters.

pegasus
09-22-2014, 11:35 AM

Yes, they do. Whenever I see 2 and 5 together, I always think of Lebron.

All Net
09-22-2014, 11:39 AM
Can't see how they improve. They were beyond great last year.

kennethgriffin
09-22-2014, 01:22 PM
the reason kobe bryant and the spurs both have stuck around for so long is because of the league, media and fans saying theyre both FINISHED every single year since like 2007

every year since then the media comes out with these rankings. theyve had the spurs ranked way behind everyone... theyve had kobe ranked way behind everyone. then surprise..

2008 - kobe finals, kobe mvp, kobe first team all nba
2009 - kobe finals, kobe finals mvp, kobe champion, kobe 1st team all nba
2010 - kobe finals, kobe finals mvp, kobe champion, kobe 1st team all nba
2011 - kobe first team all nba
2012 - kobe first team all nba
2013 - spurs finals, spurs should be champions, kobe 1st team all nba
2014 - spurs finals, spurs champions

2015 - " spurs are finished. kobes finished"

LOL

gts
09-22-2014, 01:28 PM
There's always a chance, but seeing how the Spurs have never won back to back titles if I was a gambling man I'd bet with history