PDA

View Full Version : Start a franchise: Duncan/Robinson or Lebron/KD?

Milbuck
09-21-2014, 07:12 PM
You're building a team and you get the choice to draft either Tim Duncan and David Robinson, or Lebron James and Kevin Durant.

You can build however you want after that, but to start the franchise off you're given one of these duos via draft.

Keep in mind these guys are drafted the same year in this scenario..so down the road, prime Duncan would be playing with prime D-Rob, not a shell of D-Rob just a few years from retirement. And current MVP Durant would be playing with 2010 MVP Lebron.

In this scenario, you'd draft with 100% knowledge of who these players will become and how good they'll be. Assuming you know exactly who these players are on draft day, which duo would you choose to build around?

#number6ix#
09-21-2014, 07:33 PM
Lj/kd would be crazy

TheMilkyBarKid
09-21-2014, 07:33 PM
As good as LeBron and kd would be to watch the smart option would be Duncan and Robinson.
You wouldn't be able to buy a bucket in the paint against that duo.

Legends66NBA7
09-21-2014, 07:41 PM
https://cutoruncut.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/david-robinson-tim-duncan.jpg

Mure
09-21-2014, 07:45 PM
LeBron/KD and it isn't close. Just way too much talent and special there.

Mr Exlax
09-21-2014, 07:46 PM
Gotta go with the quality bigs.

Budadiiii
09-21-2014, 07:50 PM
LeBron and KD.

Perfect duo. LeBron would be passing to KD all day. LeBron is the perfect Robin to Durant's Batman.

New and improved Pippen/Jordan

Warfan
09-21-2014, 07:50 PM
http://www.terezowens.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/DRob.jpg

They were dominant with an aging Drob and young Duncan (although he was still great). In their primes they're both MVP and DPOY caliber players, and would be an absolute terror on both ends.

Rizko
09-21-2014, 07:55 PM
Tough. It depends on who the main ballhandler is for Duncan and Robinson and who the big man is for KD and LBJ.

I'll say something like Robert Parish for KD and LBJ as the big man and a Tim Hardaway for Duncan and Robinson.

If we use those guys (or player at there level) I listed as the 3rd wheel I'll take the bigs, but if its just the top 2 guys and then borderline roleplayers and scubs filling the rest of the team I'll take LBJ and KD.

The big duo needs a good guard to bring it all together while the perimeter duo needs only a mediocre bigman to be complete.

In todays game with the plethora of good to great pgs Ill take the big duo.

CavaliersFTW
09-21-2014, 08:04 PM
Duncan and Robinson BOTH play on both ends of the floor. And from the inside out.

IMO that is more valuable than Durant and Lebron, of which only Lebron plays on both ends. And that duo would play from the outside in. I think you can build a more solid team if you are lucky enough to have a core of all-time greats that can anchor down the inside game first.

L.Kizzle
09-21-2014, 08:08 PM
Robinson and Duncan and it's not even close. Look at what Sampson and Akeem did and Sampson is much much worse than Robinson.

L.Kizzle
09-21-2014, 08:09 PM
Tough. It depends on who the main ballhandler is for Duncan and Robinson and who the big man is for KD and LBJ.

I'll say something like Robert Parish for KD and LBJ as the big man and a Tim Hardaway for Duncan and Robinson.

If we use those guys (or player at there level) I listed as the 3rd wheel I'll take the bigs, but if its just the top 2 guys and then borderline roleplayers and scubs filling the rest of the team I'll take LBJ and KD.

The big duo needs a good guard to bring it all together while the perimeter duo needs only a mediocre bigman to be complete.

In todays game with the plethora of good to great pgs Ill take the big duo.
Journeyman Avery Johnson was the point for the 99 team.

Cocaine80s
09-21-2014, 08:09 PM
Duncan/Robinson

I would rather watch Lebron/KD tho

red1
09-21-2014, 08:18 PM
I'll go with the two bigs. Duncan = lbj and robinson > durant

Milbuck
09-21-2014, 08:27 PM
Defensively I agree it's not even close..

But we might be sleeping on the offensive potential of Lebron and Durant...the fit is nearly seamless. Lebron is at his best when in total control of the offense from playmaking to scoring, which works perfectly with KD being the best off-ball player in the game.

I honestly can't think of single duo in NBA history outside of 2001 Shaq and Kobe that would have that level of offensive firepower.

L.Kizzle
09-21-2014, 08:33 PM

But we might be sleeping on the offensive potential of Lebron and Durant...the fit is nearly seamless. Lebron is at his best when in total control of the offense from playmaking to scoring, which works perfectly with KD being the best off-ball player in the game.

I honestly can't think of single duo in NBA history outside of 2001 Shaq and Kobe that would have that level of offensive firepower.
Uh Baylor + West 38 pts and 30 pts in 1962. Plus two more 30 and 25 pts seasons and a few 27 pts each.

dubeta
09-21-2014, 08:34 PM
Considering I would take LeBron over Duncan and Robinson combined, KD is like an extra here, so its LeBron/KD for me :cheers:

Glass Ankles
09-21-2014, 08:37 PM

What exactly are they going to do on offense? They both play the same position.

Lebron likes to play "in the flow" and doesn't force anything. Durant meanwhile has issues with physical defenders, relies on jumpers and isn't aggressive at all. You have 2 laidback guys, what are they going to do that's scary to any elite team? None of them is gonna take over a game and destroy similar teams single handedly. Spurs completely butt raped Lebron and Durant with just Duncan and Kawhi mostly. What you think Duncan/Robinson would do?

If you said MJ/Bird I could see actual argument for best offensive firepower, but Durant/Lebron aren't THAT godlike.

dubeta
09-21-2014, 08:44 PM

Lebron likes to play "in the flow" and doesn't force anything. Durant meanwhile has issues with physical defenders, relies on jumpers and isn't aggressive at all. You have 2 laidback guys, what are they going to do that's scary to any elite team? None of them is gonna take over a game and destroy similar teams single handedly. Spurs completely butt raped Lebron and Durant with just Duncan and Kawhi mostly. What you think Duncan/Robinson would do?

If you said MJ/Bird I could see actual argument for best offensive firepower, but Durant/Lebron aren't THAT godlike.

http://emukupa.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/lebron-james-stare.jpg

Please dont group LeBron with Durant :facepalm

Glass Ankles
09-21-2014, 08:46 PM
Please dont group LeBron with Durant :facepalm
You are right Durant never had anything like this.

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/nbacardDOTnet/zz%20NBA%20Photo%20Gallery/z%20Funny%20NBA%20Photos/Funny%20NBA%20Record/Lebron%20James/aka%20big%20choker/lebron-james-2011-nba-final-4q.jpg

dubeta
09-21-2014, 08:48 PM

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/nbacardDOTnet/zz%20NBA%20Photo%20Gallery/z%20Funny%20NBA%20Photos/Funny%20NBA%20Record/Lebron%20James/aka%20big%20choker/lebron-james-2011-nba-final-4q.jpg

What? betrayed by his own teammates?

your right :cheers:

Dont see the point though

JT123
09-21-2014, 08:49 PM

Lebron never had this as the signature playoff moment of his career.
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view7/20140601/5045575/lance-stephenson-blowing-on-kevin-durant-o.gif

Glass Ankles
09-21-2014, 08:52 PM
Dubeta - Posted at 7:48 PM
JT123 - Posted at 7:49 PM

Can you at least make it slightly less obvious you degenerate cockroach.

Milbuck
09-21-2014, 08:59 PM

Oh please, enough of the nostalgia. Lebron is without a doubt one of the greatest offensive players ever, and Durant this past regular season was playing at a historically high level, with a stretch over the winter where he was playing at a GOAT scoring level.

Lebron at his absolute best is a top 5 offensive weapon all time, one of the most complete basketball players ever. He's put up seasons of 30/7/9/2/1 on 60% TS with 31.1 PER and 27/8/7/2/1 on 64% TS with 31.6 PER.. he's easily one of the most impactful offensive players ever. I don't even feel the need to go through this explanation..the only players I'd clearly take over peak Lebron offensively are MJ, Shaq, and Kareem.

Durant this past season put up 32/7/6/1/1 on 64% TS with a 29.8 PER...he had a 3 month stretch of 35/7/6/1/1 on 66% TS while leading his team the a top 2 record in a brutal conference without his #2. The guy put up 33/10/5/1/1 on 61% TS against the Clippers, with 39/16/5/2 on 71% TS in the closeout game...and that was a worn out version of Durant who clearly wasn't playing at the level he was at during the regular season. And he's just 25, the dude reasonably has 3-4 years to improve. Maybe not production-wise, but efficiency and skill-wise the way Lebron did in 2012 and 2013? Absolutely.

The fact that you even have to bring up MJ and Bird, two of the greatest offensive players ever, just to think of a clear example of a better offensive duo, should show how ****ing good Lebron and KD are.

Milbuck
09-21-2014, 09:00 PM
Uh Baylor + West 38 pts and 30 pts in 1962. Plus two more 30 and 25 pts seasons and a few 27 pts each.
I'd take current Durant and 2010 Lebron over that duo.

sundizz
09-21-2014, 09:05 PM
This is prime Robinson:
29.8 ppg, 10.7 rpg, 4.8 apg, 1.7 spg, 3.3 bpg on 51% and 75%.

Or we could use his 3rd year when he put up:
23.2 ppg, 12.2 rpg, 2.7 apg, 2.3 spg, 4.5 bpg on 55% and 70%

You are telling me if you put that man with a prime Duncan that they would not demolish the league like never seen?

Lebron and KD...lol. Robinson could probably guard Lebron himself at that physical peak point of himself. Robinson was an animal. They'd just need a strong point guard, like Mark Jackson lol and they could bully KD in the playoffs.

Hey Yo
09-21-2014, 09:07 PM

:roll:

:hammerhead: :hammerhead:

Glass Ankles
09-21-2014, 09:11 PM
Oh please, enough of the nostalgia. Lebron is without a doubt one of the greatest offensive players ever, and Durant this past regular season was playing at a historically high level, with a stretch over the winter where he was playing at a GOAT scoring level.

Lebron at his absolute best is a top 5 offensive weapon all time, one of the most complete basketball players ever. He's put up seasons of 30/7/9/2/1 on 60% TS with 31.1 PER and 27/8/7/2/1 on 64% TS with 31.6 PER.. he's easily one of the most impactful offensive players ever. I don't even feel the need to go through this explanation..the only players I'd clearly take over peak Lebron offensively are MJ, Shaq, and Kareem.

Durant this past season put up 32/7/6/1/1 on 64% TS with a 29.8 PER...he had a 3 month stretch of 35/7/6/1/1 on 66% TS while leading his team the a top 2 record in a brutal conference without his #2. The guy put up 33/10/5/1/1 on 61% TS against the Clippers, with 39/16/5/2 on 71% TS in the closeout game...and that was a worn out version of Durant who clearly wasn't playing at the level he was at during the regular season. And he's just 25, the dude reasonably has 3-4 years to improve. Maybe not production-wise, but efficiency and skill-wise the way Lebron did in 2012 and 2013? Absolutely.

The fact that you even have to bring up MJ and Bird, two of the greatest offensive players ever, just to think of a clear example of a better offensive duo, should show how ****ing good Lebron and KD are.

Most of your examples are all during the regular season, playoffs are where real legends step up. Durant is yet to do that, he got outplayed by his own teammate this past year, idk why you keep bringing up his irrelevant regular season stats against garbage teams. :confusedshrug:

MJ and Bird were complete offensive players, they could shoot, post up, play off ball and pass exceptionally along with handle the ball without turning it over. But you don't seem to grasp what offensive firepower means. It's not just raw numbers and TS%. Limiting turnovers and STEPPING UP in the playoffs is important as well. Meanwhile all of Durant's numbers dropped in the playoffs and he turned the ball over or bricked a shot in the most crucial moments in the post season. Neither Durant or Lebron have a legit post game, they both struggle when the game slows down and fastbreaks are limited. They are great no doubt, but they are not on the level of MJ/Bird level as complete offensive players. Has nothing to do with nostalgia.

Cocaine80s
09-21-2014, 09:18 PM
Lebron and KD would be sick but in this current league prime Duncan would rape

Milbuck
09-21-2014, 09:27 PM
Most of your examples are all during the regular season, playoffs are where real legends step up. Durant is yet to do that, he got outplayed by his own teammate this past year, idk why you keep bringing up his irrelevant regular season stats against garbage teams. :confusedshrug:

MJ and Bird were complete offensive players, they could shoot, post up, play off ball and pass exceptionally along with handle the ball without turning it over. But you don't seem to grasp what offensive firepower means. It's not just raw numbers and TS%. Limiting turnovers and STEPPING UP in the playoffs is important as well. Meanwhile all of Durant's numbers dropped in the playoffs and he turned the ball over or bricked a shot in the most crucial moments in the post season. Neither Durant or Lebron have a legit post game, they both struggle when the game slows down and fastbreaks are limited. They are great no doubt, but they are not on the level of MJ/Bird level as complete offensive players. Has nothing to do with nostalgia.
I actually do get it, we're talking skillsets and how they mesh.

Lebron actually does have a legit post game..it's one of the big reasons why he has 2 championships right now. One of the difference makers in him making the finals and losing, and then totally dominating through the playoffs the next year.

So explain to me how Durant...who is a perimeter-based elite shooter, great ball handler for his position, and great off-ball player...can't mesh with someone with a pretty different offensive skill set in Lebron, who is an elite playmaker/passer, post up player, slasher and finisher at the rim, etc. Both guys are physical beasts for their position, and would be filthy in transition. They can both create instant offense for themselves, and Lebron can make everyone on the floor a threat.

If we're going to sit here and assume Durant doesn't improve whatsoever and consistently disappoints in the playoffs for the next decade...that's retarded. Again, he put up 33/10/5/1/1 on 61% TS in the WCSF and people clowned him HARD for it.

If we're also gonna make judgements on both of these guys' games that has no real basis in reality...like Lebron not having a legit post up game, Durant struggling in the half court, etc...whatever.

moe94
09-21-2014, 09:32 PM

Durant "struggling" and with his numbers dipped still averaged 30/9/4 on 46% shooting, 57 TS% in the 2014 playoffs

Man, the standard for this guy is simply retarded :applause:

Glass Ankles
09-21-2014, 09:36 PM
Durant "struggling" and with his numbers dipped still averaged 30/9/4 on 46% shooting, 57 TS% in the 2014 playoffs

Nice numbers, MJ and Bird did even better along with winning championships though. And they didn't fall on their ass and turn the ball over in the most important moment of their post season. :confusedshrug:

JerrySeinfeld
09-21-2014, 09:43 PM

I don't know if it's retarded or more or less just idiots trying to troll.

LeBron had a postseason run where he got outplayed by Wade. When you play with great players who have less pressure on them, it's bound to happen.

In regards to Westbrook, the guy is insane. I don't know any other current NBA player who could put up 27/16/10 in a game seven vs an elite defense. Right after games of 25/9/5 and 30/10/13 nonetheless. Westbrook just simply doesn't give a shit about the conditions he's in and will dominate anybody.

It's no different than when Kobe outplayed Shaq for long stretches when they played together, but everyone knew that Shaq was the better player.

JerrySeinfeld
09-21-2014, 09:47 PM

Lebron actually does have a legit post game..it's one of the big reasons why he has 2 championships right now. One of the difference makers in him making the finals and losing, and then totally dominating through the playoffs the next year.

So explain to me how Durant...who is a perimeter-based elite shooter, great ball handler for his position, and great off-ball player...can't mesh with someone with a pretty different offensive skill set in Lebron, who is an elite playmaker/passer, post up player, slasher and finisher at the rim, etc. Both guys are physical beasts for their position, and would be filthy in transition. They can both create instant offense for themselves, and Lebron can make everyone on the floor a threat.

If we're going to sit here and assume Durant doesn't improve whatsoever and consistently disappoints in the playoffs for the next decade...that's retarded. Again, he put up 33/10/5/1/1 on 61% TS in the WCSF and people clowned him HARD for it.

If we're also gonna make judgements on both of these guys' games that has no real basis in reality...like Lebron not having a legit post up game, Durant struggling in the half court, etc...whatever.

Anyone who thinks that Durant and LeBron wouldn't flat out dominate together must have missed the 2012 olympics.

LeBron played point and set Durant up for COUNTLESS three point shots that got drilled.

Glass Ankles
09-21-2014, 09:51 PM

"Lebron has a legit post game" :oldlol:

He has couple of moves and a turn around jumper, that's about it. His actual footwork and skill in the post is still average. He still doesn't have an unstoppable "go to move" like MJ or Bird. He still can't go out and get a bucket when his team needs it. He relies heavily on his athleticism and strength, no actual skill or refined tools.

"Durant is a great ball handler" :roll:

Must be why he averaged 4 turnovers in the playoffs and threw it away or fell on his ass in crucial situations. His numbers all dropped too. If he was a true halfcourt player they would actually improve, but he struggled in multiple games against physical defenders like Allen, Kawhi and Paul.

Good thing my points are actually based in reality and yours are random ramblings of a dazzled boy that is in love with some pretty fastbreak dunks and fancy jumpers.

Lebron/Durant deadliest "offensive firepower". Lets see their on/off stats for the playoffs.

Offensive rating

Lebron on court - 112
Lebron off court - 115 :bowdown:

Durant on court - 108
Durant off court - 95

Well at least Durant actually makes an offensive impact. But lets see the stats of the most impactful offensive players.

Chris Paul on court - 117
Chris Paul off court - 100

Curry on court - 113
Curry off court - 88

Westbrook on court - 111
Westbrook off court - 92

ralph_i_el
09-21-2014, 10:01 PM
The real question:
LBJ/kd or MJ/Pippen

I have no answer.

Milbuck
09-21-2014, 10:06 PM
"Lebron has a legit post game" :oldlol:

He has couple of moves and a turn around jumper, that's about it. His actual footwork and skill in the post is still average. He still doesn't have an unstoppable "go to move" like MJ or Bird. He still can't go out and get a bucket when his team needs it. He relies heavily on his athleticism and strength, no actual skill or refined tools.

"Durant is a great ball handler" :roll:

Must be why he averaged 4 turnovers in the playoffs and threw it away or fell on his ass in crucial situations. His numbers all dropped too. If he was a true halfcourt player they would actually improve, but he struggled in multiple games against physical defenders like Allen, Kawhi and Paul.

Good thing my points are actually based in reality and yours are random ramblings of a dazzled boy that is in love with some pretty fastbreak dunks and fancy jumpers.

Lebron/Durant deadliest "offensive firepower". Lets see their on/off stats for the playoffs.

Offensive rating

Lebron on court - 112
Lebron off court - 115 :bowdown:

Durant on court - 108
Durant off court - 95

Well at least Durant actually makes an offensive impact. But lets see the stats of the most impactful offensive players.

Chris Paul on court - 117
Chris Paul off court - 100

Curry on court - 113
Curry off court - 88

Westbrook on court - 111
Westbrook off court - 92
Right. So Lebron is a negative on the court, and Durant is a poor man's Steph Curry.

Thanks for the insight, might as well lock this thread right here.

Glass Ankles
09-21-2014, 10:08 PM
Right. So Lebron is a negative on the court, and Durant is a poor man's Steph Curry.

Thanks for the insight, might as well lock this thread right here.
You are welcome, I aim to educate younger fans that never saw the best of MJ and Bird. It's important to remember your history and not overreact to the current stars, when the facts tell you they are not on the level of older legends.

:cheers:

Cold soul
09-21-2014, 10:09 PM
Duncan and Robinson for me. You build your team inside out and Duncan/Robinson do it on both sides of the ball at higher level than either Lebron or Durant. This is a easily pick for me. Also they've proven to be winning duo together.

thefatmiral
09-21-2014, 10:33 PM
admiral and duncan. Robinson is getting underrated.

Marchesk
09-21-2014, 10:33 PM

I guess averaging 71.7 as a duo in the finals against the Celtics doesn't count:

http://blogs.swa-jkt.com/swa/11375/files/2013/03/west-baylor-elgin-baylor-jerry-west-of-la-lakers_original_display_image1.jpg

Milbuck
09-21-2014, 11:07 PM
I guess averaging 71.7 as a duo in the finals against the Celtics doesn't count:

http://blogs.swa-jkt.com/swa/11375/files/2013/03/west-baylor-elgin-baylor-jerry-west-of-la-lakers_original_display_image1.jpg
Again..I'd take Lebron and KD at their best over West/Baylor. Zero doubt in my mind that current KD and 2010 Lebron could put up those numbers in 1962.

Peak Lebron is better than West and Baylor ever were. Durant already showed us a historically high level of play during the regular season, and he's still getting better.

And they'd be playing together..which only enhances their games, having substantially less individual pressure from the defense.

Fudge
09-21-2014, 11:12 PM
http://www.terezowens.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/DRob.jpg

Foreal doe, Bron and KD would shit on the league for the next 10 years. Even surrounded with scrubs.

Leroy Jetson
09-21-2014, 11:20 PM
Put some three point shooters with Duncan and Robinson and no one is touching them. People forget that until he got Duncan, Sean Elliot was the best player Robinson had on his team. Prime Duncan and Robinson together would be ridiculous how do you guard both of them.

kamil
09-21-2014, 11:21 PM

Foreal doe, Bron and KD would shit on the league for the next 10 years. Even surrounded with scrubs.

LeBron* was given Wade AND Bosh and still couldn't finish... TWICE.

What's your excuse for that?

JerrySeinfeld
09-21-2014, 11:22 PM
Put some three point shooters with Duncan and Robinson and no one is touching them. People forget that until he got Duncan, Sean Elliot was the best player Robinson had on his team. Prime Duncan and Robinson together would be ridiculous how do you guard both of them.

Yup. Gotta go with prime Duncan and Robinson without question.

Milbuck
09-21-2014, 11:32 PM
So you're taking LeBron?
Picture had nothing to do with anything, just felt like posting it.

But yeah, Bron/KD for me.

moe94
09-21-2014, 11:40 PM
Why does Kamil literally always puts an asterisk near Bron's name? I've always wanted to catch him slip, perhaps even get tired of it, but nope. Dude is wild

tgan3
09-21-2014, 11:57 PM
i'll get Duncan/Robinson. Skilled bigmen are a rarity, also just throw in a good point guard and decent wings and it will be a championship contender.

KD/Lebron are too ball dominant to work together.

Natureland
09-22-2014, 12:01 AM
Watching Durant and LeBron run the two man game to put away Spain in the '12 Olympics was pretty fun.

Also I'd probably side with Robinson/Duncan because of the defensive potential.

Smook A.
09-22-2014, 12:02 AM
Holy shit dude. This question really makes me think. LeBron and Durant, as we all know, are both very elite scorers. Kevin Durant is a phenomenal shooter, and LeBron can easily score by powering and using his athleticism to drive to the rim. On the other hand, you got Tim Duncan and David Robinson. These guys are both amazing defenders. David Robinson was a just monster physically and could score with the best of 'em. His career high in ppg was 29.8 ppg... Tim Duncan is called Mr. Fundamental for an obvious reason. He scored by using the backboard. Not a fancy guy, but he got the job done. In his peak, he would average around 22-25 ppg which is definitely great. Both Robinson and Duncan were superior rebounders too.

When Tim Duncan was drafted, he came in the league and immediately made a huge impact for the Spurs. In his 1st season, at 21 years old, he averaged 21 ppg/12 rpg/3 apg and about 3 bpg all while shooting 55% from the field... He was a star. David Robinson's stats were a little better when he came in. He put up 24/12/2 and 4 BPG (Holy shit) on 53%. Now, if I picked both these guys to start a franchise, my team would no doubt be one of the best from the start. Tim Duncan, in just his 2nd NBA season, won a championship with an out of his prime David Robinson. Robinson was their 2nd best scorer at the time (Averaged 16 ppg in the 98-99 regular season and playoffs). The Spurs' 3rd best scorer was Avery Johnson. He averaged just about 10 ppg in the RS and 12 in the playoffs, so their wasn't a lot of talent around Duncan and Robinson. What I'm trying to say is that Timmy won a title in 2 seasons with a 33 year old Robinson. If Robinson started his career with Duncan at the age of 24 (That's when he came in to the league) then it's safe to say that their team could easily win multiple championships from the start.

Moving on, now you got LeBron and Durant. As I mentioned before, both these guys are outstanding scorers. They came in to and the league and averaged 20 ppg in their 1st seasons. The team that they both would play on would score a ton of points every single night, but honestly what else would they be able to do? LeBron is a great passer, so that means he'll give his teammates a lot of good looks which translates to more points. This choice between LeBron/Durant and Duncan/Robinson all comes down to one thing and one thing only... defense. Duncan and Robinson are by far, the better defenders. Teams need offense and most importantly great defense to win ball games and championships. Im not saying LeBron and Durant are bad defenders, im just saying that Timmy and D-Rob are better.

So in conclusion, im picking David Robinson and Kevin Durant if I was going to start a franchise. They both entered the league and scored more than 20 ppg which is amazing. The best thing they bring is elite defense. I mean for god's sake... In David Robinson's 1st season as a pro, he averaged 4 blocks a game! That's crazy. Tim Duncan's post defense could lock down almost any big man which is a huge plus. Oh and I left one thing out. Duncan and Robinson also have great size. Having great size is always great.

BuffaloBill
09-22-2014, 12:07 AM
I feel like Lebron/KD would make it to the finals every year and lose.

Give me TD/Admiral

JerrySeinfeld
09-22-2014, 12:15 AM
Can we mix and match out of the four names listed?

Durant and Duncan would be unstoppable. Just put Durant at the 4 and Duncan has all the space in the world to operate. You get elite offense paired with elite defense with both players being insanely efficient.

bizil
09-22-2014, 12:22 AM
I gotta go with Duncan-Robinson. Two alpha dog inside-outside bigs who are great defenders, great passers for bigs, and run the floor great for 7 footers. If u are looking for a template for two 7 footers to play together, that combo is the one for sure. And even though D Rob was listed as the center, u could EASILY say Duncan was the center and D Rob was the PF. That's how interchangeable and devastating peak D Rob and peak Duncan would be!

dubeta
09-22-2014, 12:25 AM
Wasnt Robinson proven to be a huge playoff choker or something??

ballinhun8
09-22-2014, 12:34 AM

By himself? Yes, although the West had talented big an back them out the hoo ha.

But with Duncan? Two 'ships and ended a dynasty in its prime.

tpols
09-22-2014, 12:36 AM

Yes but duncan was not.. prime Robinson/Duncan would be the best twin towers in the history of basketball.

KirbyPls
09-22-2014, 01:08 AM

:applause:

SexSymbol
01-05-2015, 10:32 AM
Lets compare peaks and careers
PEAK:
Duncan > Bron
Robinson > KD
CAREER:
Duncan > Bron
Robinson > KD.

Times the duo have won championships:
TD/DR - 2
LBJ/KD - 0.

So... what's the debate here exactly? Every sensible person would draft TD/DR

ArbitraryWater
01-05-2015, 04:18 PM
PEAK:
Duncan > Bron
Robinson > KD
CAREER:
Duncan > Bron
Robinson > KD.

TD/DR - 2
LBJ/KD - 0.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/wthbs.gif

lilteapot
01-05-2015, 04:21 PM
Lebron and KD. 1. That would be unstoppable and 2. The amount of things you can do with those two guys is endless. Y'all thought Lebron and Wade were deadly, this would be out of this world.

TD/DR - 2
LBJ/KD - 0.

This is the stupidest ****ing argument I've ever seen on here, and that's saying a lot.

Harison
01-05-2015, 04:23 PM
Twin towers.

rmt
01-05-2015, 04:31 PM
Duncan and DRob are all-time elite defenders who anchored their team's defense. The same cannot be said of Durant and to a lesser extent Lebron. Besides we already know how the Twin Towers worked out - 2 rings (with DRob not in his prime). KD and Lebron are both very ball-dominant and play the same position - questionable how they're gonna work together - probably like Lebron/Wade where one has to step back and take a lesser role.

Always go with the bigs - much easier to build around.

brain drain
01-05-2015, 05:09 PM
I'd definitely take DRob / Duncan.

pauk
01-05-2015, 05:11 PM
Lebron/KD man....

HurricaneKid
01-05-2015, 05:25 PM
Robinson and Duncan and it's not even close. Look at what Sampson and Akeem did and Sampson is much much worse than Robinson.

They made the Finals once and got out of the first round one other time?

Pretty sure the answer to this question is hoping to advance past the second round more than once.

Myth
01-05-2015, 05:40 PM
Easily LeBron and Duckworth. Mostly because of Duckworth.

smoovegittar
01-05-2015, 05:44 PM
For me, the question pertains to now. I'd take KD/LeBoob nowadays...20 years ago, I would take The Admiral and The Big Fundamental. It's more of a guard-driven game now.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
01-05-2015, 05:46 PM
LeBron and Durant without hesitation, but with extreme prejudice.

Fudge
01-05-2015, 06:24 PM
LeBron and KD alone would run the league for 10 consecutive years, even if they're surrounded with scrubs.

Milbuck
01-05-2015, 06:52 PM
I just think the thought of 2014 MVP Durant and 2010 MVP Lebron on the same team is ****ing insane, not just in talent but also in fit. Give them an Asik-type center, fill out the rest of the roster with borderline NBA-level players...and just hand them the championship.

TheMarkMadsen
01-05-2015, 06:57 PM
I just think the thought of 2014 MVP Durant and 2010 MVP Lebron on the same team is ****ing insane, not just in talent but also in fit. Give them an Asik-type center, fill out the rest of the roster with borderline NBA-level players...and just hand them the championship.

I highly doubt that since that exact same Lebron was given prime wade and bosh and they certainly weren't handed a championship

This idea that you can just plug Lebron with another star and easily win championships has been disproven, Lebron led teams have to fit a certain style of play and I just don't see prime KD and Lebron working together cohesively in a finals series. And I don't see still young and healthy Durant taking a back seat to Lebron and letting the offensive run through Lebron, which is the only way Lebron is 100% comfortable.

Legends66NBA7
01-05-2015, 07:01 PM

Answered your own thread.

Milbuck
01-05-2015, 07:02 PM
I highly doubt that since that exact same Lebron was given prime wade and bosh and they certainly weren't handed a championship

This idea that you can just plug Lebron with another star and easily win championships has been disproven, Lebron led teams have to fit a certain style of play and I just don't see prime KD and Lebron working together cohesively in a finals series. And I don't see still young and healthy Durant taking a back seat to Lebron and letting the offensive run through Lebron, which is the only way Lebron is 100% comfortable.
KD is a completely different player than Wade though, Wade needed to adapt his game significantly to Lebron, whereas KD already has a nasty jumper from any range and an off-ball game. Also Wade-Bron, even with somewhat redundant skill-sets, were dominant for a huge chunk of the season, it took the biggest choke by an all time great in NBA history for them to lose...in 6.
Answered your own thread.
Well yeah I just wanted other opinions on it. I think it's a pretty tough decision.

TheMarkMadsen
01-05-2015, 07:06 PM
KD is a completely different player than Wade though, Wade needed to adapt his game significantly to Lebron, whereas KD already has a nasty jumper from any range and an off-ball game.
Well yeah I just wanted other opinions on it. I think it's a pretty tough decision.

Lebron is currently playing with 2 players who have nasty jumpers with unlimited range and an off ball ball game and was on pace to lead them to a Kobe/Kwame/Smush esque record. Nothing's guranteed.

And I would say 2011 Bosh & Wade are just as impactful as having 2014 Durant on the team.

rmt
01-05-2015, 07:20 PM
For me, the question pertains to now. I'd take KD/LeBoob nowadays...20 years ago, I would take The Admiral and The Big Fundamental. It's more of a guard-driven game now.

By the same token, because it's a guard-driven game, aren't you more likely to find elite perimeter players/defenders to defend Lebron/KD? OTOH, who are you gonna get to defend a prime DRob and a prime Duncan? They would have a field day against the (lack of) quality bigs in the league these days. Lebron and KD would have to be helping to double-team them every time down the court.

Milbuck
01-05-2015, 07:24 PM
Lebron is currently playing with 2 players who have nasty jumpers with unlimited range and an off ball ball game and was on pace to lead them to a Kobe/Kwame/Smush esque record. Nothing's guranteed.

And I would say 2011 Bosh & Wade are just as impactful as having 2014 Durant on the team.
Does Kyrie really have an off-ball game? At least is it natural? And Love was the complete focal point of his team's offense last year, with the greenest of green lights. I'm not saying they're unskilled scrubs, but there was clearly going to be some trouble incorporating their games entirely. Whereas KD has shown the ability to not only be a dominant on-ball player but also slaughter teams off the ball.

And I think Wade and KD are in the same conversation as players but the fit is totally different. Bosh is a factor but like I said you give KD/Bron an Asik-type center to rebound and protect the paint and it outweighs Bosh imo. Wade and Lebron in 2011 were playing in dominant form, until again, that inexplicable choke in the finals. I love to clown Lebron as much as the next guy but I wouldn't bank on 2011 happening again. And considering I think healthy 2015 KD is clearly better than 2011 Wade, even if it did I think they'd be good enough to still win it, knowing how close they were even with Lebron's choke.

StephHamann
01-05-2015, 07:26 PM
Gimme Duncan, all he does is win.

San Antonio's 8-10 record in December marked just the third losing month in Tim Duncan's career. :biggums:

T_L_P
03-04-2015, 02:57 PM
I gotta go with Tim and David here.

That 99 squad outside of those two was below average (Elliott, Avery and Jackson were the only other above average players). They still went 15-2 in the Playoffs (against stacked Laker and Blazer teams). Also, for all the talk about the Knicks sucking, they still won 50 games the next year and made the Conference Finals (Cuban said seeding in a lockout season has no reflection on the strength of the squad).

And this was a second year Duncan and Robinson in the last year of his prime.

Imagine 02-03 Duncan and 93-94 Robinson on the same team. :eek:

Duncan could shoulder the offense with Robinson anchoring the defense, or the other way 'round. Surround them with a bunch of shooters and it's literally over.

supernova5912
03-04-2015, 03:01 PM
Robinson and Duncan, with their longevity, rebounding, and post offense/defense, despite the popularity of LeBron and Durant.

greatest-ever
03-04-2015, 03:11 PM
Duncan/Drob. They are a better fit than Lbj/Kd and their defense would be nasty. I think Drob would benefit greatly from not having to be the 1st option on offense in the playoffs. Also think, they won 2 titles together when Drob was basically past his prime or at the tail end of it in 1999. Imagine them playing their whole careers together?

greatest-ever
03-04-2015, 03:13 PM

2011 Wade and Bosh would be more impactful than just 2014 KD. Wade was a top 3 or so player in 2011.

Dro
03-04-2015, 03:13 PM
Duncan and Robinson, you need defense and rebounding, rim protection AND they can score and pass..

Demitri98
03-04-2015, 03:25 PM
Can I have LeBron/Duncan instead?

Sakkreth
03-04-2015, 03:28 PM
Robinson just more impactful than Durant.

Ancient Legend
03-04-2015, 03:36 PM
TD and D-Rob because of Defense.

I would switch out KD for Kevin Garnett. Him and LeBron James would be superior.

GreggPopazit
03-04-2015, 06:24 PM
Duncan/Robinson. They did it without both being in their prime.

G0ATbe
03-04-2015, 06:29 PM
KD/LeBald. KDs better than the other 3 and is one of the few players in the league LeBald wouldn't be able to diminish. He'd be able to carry the team in crunch time/finals when his partner disappears.

VengefulAngel
03-04-2015, 06:37 PM
Sorry but Durant and Lebron playing together would be unguardable.

inclinerator
03-04-2015, 07:49 PM
depends, which one gets pop?

lebron and kd fit well together, see the olympics

T_L_P
03-04-2015, 07:57 PM
depends, which one gets pop?

lebron and kd fit well together, see the olympics

The most dominant Spurs team (relative to talent) was the one where Pop was neither the leader nor the guy with his hand in everything.

Duncan and Robinson carried a shitty team on both ends of the floor to a 15-2 Playoff record, and Avery was the team leader.

So why would it depend on Pop?

AintNoSunshine
03-04-2015, 08:41 PM
Its perimeter oriented league so I am going with King and his Servant.

Prime_Shaq
03-04-2015, 08:54 PM
Duncan/Robinson. Easier to build around dominant big men.

Lebronxrings
03-04-2015, 08:57 PM
do duncan/robinson get pop? Pop was the mastermind behind the spurs success and made duncan and robinson. With pop, its even, without pop lebron/kd no question.

sd3035
03-04-2015, 08:57 PM
KD and Bran

then trade Bran for somebody better

T_L_P
03-04-2015, 08:59 PM
do duncan/robinson get pop? Pop was the mastermind behind the spurs success and made duncan and robinson. With pop, its even, without pop lebron/kd no question.

Robinson had a 30/11/5/2/4 season without Pop. :facepalm

And that mastermind is 1-7 in Playoff games without his star, Duncan.

jzek
03-04-2015, 09:01 PM
Prime TD and Prime DRob would be unstoppable.

LBJ and KD both have leadership/alpha-male issues.

TheMan
03-04-2015, 09:02 PM
As good as LeBron and kd would be to watch the smart option would be Duncan and Robinson.
You wouldn't be able to buy a bucket in the paint against that duo.
This

Rule of thumb is to go with the dominant big...in this case you get two :bowdown:

upside24
03-04-2015, 09:04 PM
LBJ and KD in todays game.

They would be unstoppable.

thefatmiral
03-04-2015, 10:36 PM
I wonder what would have happened with robinson and LeBron on the same court. no one can stop lebron when he gets his open lane, but maybe the admiral could.

deja vu
03-04-2015, 11:07 PM
Durant can be taken off his game. Don't think anybody can deal with a DRob and TD combo. Prime Shaq had trouble against that combo with a washed up DRob. Both of them in their primes? Game over.

deja vu
03-04-2015, 11:12 PM
Give Duncan/Robinson an average guard and they're still beatable.
Like winning 2 titles together? DRob was past his prime btw.

Nike D'Antoni
07-05-2016, 06:52 AM
Duncan & Robinson, because i know they will stick around. The other two will run away

bobopenguin
07-05-2016, 08:25 AM
Duncan & Robinson, because i know they will stick around. The other two will run away

u waited 2 years for this bump?

HighFlyer23
07-05-2016, 08:29 AM
duncan/robinson

kd b1tcha$$ would never be on my franchise

Nike D'Antoni
07-05-2016, 08:31 AM
u waited 2 years for this bump?

yes 2 years

Nike D'Antoni
07-05-2016, 08:32 AM
2 years i waited for this. I saw it coming, KD is a bitch

iamgine
07-05-2016, 09:26 AM
Duncan and Robinson.

They can defend both really big and small lineup while ALSO attacking both as a really big and small lineup. That's something that will terrorize today's league. Warrior's small ball would be destroyed by this duo.

But Lebron and KD might've a few years of longevity advantage...hmm this is tough. But Robinson and Duncan has proved to be loyal so I guess the're the safer pick.