PDA

View Full Version : Ukraine, Neo Nazis, and Putin's Crimean Justification

RidonKs
09-22-2014, 07:49 AM
first off, a statement from Vladamir Putin that i hope most of you have already read. process his analogy to a precedent as best you can... there are in my opinion striking similarities.

and of course just because he says the west did it first, doesn't make either action necessarily legitimate. but on the question of double standard, he has a point.

[QUOTE=V. Putin]The Crimean authorities have relied on the well-known Kosovo precedent, a precedent our Western partners created themselves, with their own hands, so to speak. In a situation absolutely similar to the Crimean one, they deemed Kosovo

fiddy
09-22-2014, 08:02 AM
Those lands are russian, they gave it to Ukraine during the USSR days. If i remember right Crimea was gifted to Ukraine in 1954.

robert de niro
09-22-2014, 08:04 AM
Those lands are russian, they gave it to Ukraine during the USSR days. If i remember right Crimea was gifted to Ukraine in 1954.
so which one is it?

fiddy
09-22-2014, 08:09 AM
so which one is it?
Those lands belong to Russia. Better?

kNIOKAS
09-22-2014, 08:35 AM
I welcome attempts to try find alternative news sources than regular mainstreem US media which is extremely biased. However, it's tempting to counterbalance with Russia's media, which is extremely biased. Two wrongs don't make a right.

I heard about these neonazis and everything, but I just cannot take it serious. It's a catchword for "those hard-minded powerful savages, how come you're not against them, are you one of them". To me Russia is full of neonazis themselves, as there are plenty of young skinhead males of lower socioeconomical status, high in involvement in violence and crime, endorsing nationalism, schouvinism and only respecting power, brutality, and ignorance. The difference between Ukrainian neonazis and Russian neonazis is that of geographical origins. I bet the country where Hitler is respected the most is Russia.

Putin is a serious player there, what can you say.

fiddy
09-22-2014, 08:37 AM
I welcome attempts to try find alternative news sources than regular mainstreem US media which is extremely biased. However, it's tempting to counterbalance with Russia's media, which is extremely biased. Two wrongs don't make a right.

I heard about these neonazis and everything, but I just cannot take it serious. It's a catchword for "those hard-minded powerful savages, how come you're not against them, are you one of them". To me Russia is full of neonazis themselves, as there are plenty of young skinhead males of lower socioeconomical status, high in involvement in violence and crime, endorsing nationalism, schouvinism and only respecting power, brutality, and ignorance. The difference between Ukrainian neonazis and Russian neonazis is that of geographical origins. I bet the country where Hitler is respected the most is Russia.

Putin is a serious player there, what can you say.
Russia's media is ridiculous. I wouldnt trust either sides.

niko
09-22-2014, 08:41 AM
I'll come at this from a different angle, i don't respect what he did here because i don't see the point because it's not accomplishing what he is trying to accomplish. These were Russian assets heading west, and he wanted to stop that. So rather than a combination of subtle bullying and wooing, which probably would have worked better (Nato already was rejecting Ukraine because they were in Russia's circle of influence) he blew the whole situation to shit. Making the russian economy worse was not the goal. Having people actually speaking out against him (which they are now) certainly was not the goal.

It's like China sometimes, they wanted to assert their dominance in asia, and instead they scared their neighbors so they are becoming stronger US allies, and Japan which was so standoffish about it's US relationship for awhile is becoming not only a stronger partner, but a stronger millitary partner.

We need really hard core making money above all else people in charge of countries. Not "national pride" and bullshit that goes with the tide, but people who really like running things to be efficient, like Gulliani was in NY. WOuld he run you over? YES. If it made things better longterm.

LJJ
09-22-2014, 09:07 AM
The thing is, Putin probably could have gotten away with Crimea without a scratch. Despite the posturing by the west, everybody knows Crimea has never really been a structural part of Ukraine. Even the most staunch Ukrainian nationalists know that the people in Crimea are Russian and Crimea itself is de facto Russian territory.

The shenanigans in Eastern Ukraine though, are an overextension.

Booz Vivic
09-22-2014, 01:42 PM
Those lands belong to Russia. Better?
so if i would give u my computer, would it still belong to me?

LJJ
09-22-2014, 03:26 PM
so if i would give u my computer, would it still belong to me?

If you tell him he can have your computer, but actually you never give the computer to him and you keep using it, keep all your files on there, use it every day at the office and for your personal business. And then years later when fiddy asks if he can come pick up the computer and use it for himself, you tell him: "If you do so much as look at that computer I will beat the shit out of you!".

Then yes... There might exist a message somewhere on Insidehoops that states that you said the computer belongs to fiddy, but in practice the computer is still yours and was never his.

That's pretty much the analogy we are talking about with the entire Crimea situation. Crimea was never under Ukrainian control.

Godzuki
09-22-2014, 03:41 PM
If you tell him he can have your computer, but actually you never give the computer to him and you keep using it, keep all your files on there, use it every day at the office and for your personal business. And then years later when fiddy asks if he can come pick up the computer and use it for himself, you tell him: "If you do so much as look at that computer I will beat the shit out of you!".

Then yes... There might exist a message somewhere on Insidehoops that states that you said the computer belongs to fiddy, but in practice the computer is still yours and was never his.

That's pretty much the analogy we are talking about with the entire Crimea situation. Crimea was never under Ukrainian control.

yes it was, until Ukraine chose the EU and Putin had issue with that. its a lot more like a bully you're friends with at one time giving you something, and later beating u up to take it back since you're not cool anymore.

Nick Young
09-22-2014, 03:52 PM
Forreal, Putin is fighting neo-nazis and white supremacists and the west is trying to play it off as Putin being evil and the "brave noble Ukrainian freedom fighters":facepalm

He also had Assad's back when the entire Western world wanted to arm the shit out of the psycho rebels who would go on to become IS.

Putin is not that bad yo.