PDA

View Full Version : David Robinson (25pts/9rebs) vs Hakeem Olajuwon (36pts/14rebs) - Highlights 1994/95

Round Mound
09-22-2014, 06:34 PM
Real Centers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcjn3u9uKq4

:bowdown: :bowdown:

Rake2204
09-22-2014, 10:59 PM
Sean Elliott catching Hakeem at 2:45. Nice.

Edit: Oo, then Hakeem on David at 7:05

Separately, sometimes I forget about Robinson's keen willingness and ability to share the ball in an effective manner while he was in the pivot. Good stuff.

Round Mound
09-22-2014, 11:59 PM
:cheers: :rockon:

LAZERUSS
09-23-2014, 12:04 AM
Aside from their six H2H's in the '95 WCF's, Robinson battled Hakeem to almost a complete draw over the course of their 42 other career H2H games (and outshot Hakeem by a .488 to .441 margin BTW). Oh, and D-Rob's teams went 30-12 against Hakeem's in those 42 games.

Tragedy that most everyone who brings up Hakeem and Robinson in conversations, only use that '95 series (and the reality of that, was that Hakeem outplayed Robinson in FOUR of those six games.) Much of Robinson's legacy was defined by FOUR GAMES.

Round Mound
09-23-2014, 12:06 AM
Aside from their six H2H's in the '95 WCF's, Robinson battled Hakeem to almost a complete draw over the course of their 42 other career H2H games (and outshot Hakeem by a .488 to .441 margin BTW). Oh, and D-Rob's teams went 30-12 against Hakeem's in those 42 games.

Tragedy that most everyone who brings up Hakeem and Robinson in conversations, only use that '95 series (and the reality of that, was that Hakeem outplayed Robinson in FOUR of those six games.) Much of Robinson's legacy was defined by FOUR GAMES.

Hakeem`s Prime Was 1985-1995. Most Usually He Owned Robinson From That Span (or from 89-95). Robinson Got The Best Of Hakeem When Dream Was Older.

LAZERUSS
09-23-2014, 12:09 AM
Hakeem`s Prime Was 1985-1995. Most Usually He Owned Robinson From That Span (or from 89-95). Robinson Got The Best Of Hakeem When Dream Was Older.

Not really...

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=olajuha01&p2=robinda01

Not a huge difference in that "Hakeem Prime"...

LAZERUSS
09-23-2014, 12:13 AM
BTW, and including their playoff H2H's...and covering 48 total games...

Hakeem had FOUR games of 60%+ shooting, with a high of .640 against Robinson.

In those same 48 games, Robinson had 12 of .600+, and THREE of 70%+ against Hakeem.

And in their 42 regular season H2H's, Robinson outshot Hakeem by a .488 to .441 margin. Think about that. Hakeem was a career .512 shooter, while Robinson was a career .518 shooter. Robinson had a far greater impact on Hakeem's shooting, than the other way around.

Round Mound
09-23-2014, 01:41 AM
BTW, and including their playoff H2H's...and covering 48 total games...

Hakeem had FOUR games of 60%+ shooting, with a high of .640 against Robinson.

In those same 48 games, Robinson had 12 of .600+, and THREE of 70%+ against Hakeem.

And in their 42 regular season H2H's, Robinson outshot Hakeem by a .488 to .441 margin. Think about that. Hakeem was a career .512 shooter, while Robinson was a career .518 shooter. Robinson had a far greater impact on Hakeem's shooting, than the other way around.

Whatever :confusedshrug: Both Great Players. Hakeem Did Destroy Him When It Was Most Important: Play-Offs.

D-Rob Was Along Mutombo The Best Rim Protector Of The 90s Though. And Hakeem and D-Rob Where Both Thee Best Floor Defenders Among Centers Since Russell Probably.

LAZERUSS
09-23-2014, 04:22 AM
Whatever :confusedshrug: Both Great Players. Hakeem Did Destroy Him When It Was Most Important: Play-Offs.

D-Rob Was Along Mutombo The Best Rim Protector Of The 90s Though. And Hakeem and D-Rob Where Both Thee Best Floor Defenders Among Centers Since Russell Probably.

No argument from me on the above. I just feel that Robinson's career seems to be rather unfairly judged by that one post-season series. IMHO he has become very under-rated because of it.

Round Mound
09-23-2014, 04:25 AM
No argument from me on the above. I just feel that Robinson's career seems to be rather unfairly judged by that one post-season series. IMHO he has become very under-rated because of it.

True. Just imagine prime Robinson in todays league? Would be laughable.

Dragonyeuw
09-23-2014, 04:28 AM

Agree, he was VERY highly regarded prior to that series, and Hakeem's legacy also took a massive spike from that series. I dont think he makes many people's top ten list without that entire 95 playoff run, I mean he was otherwordly.

LAZERUSS
09-23-2014, 04:35 AM
True. Just imagine prime Robinson in todays league? Would be laughable.

Easily the best center in today's NBA.

Not to belabor the point, but when I look back on D-Rob's career, he seems to be remembered for supposedly being outplayed by Sabonis (which was completely false); for being beaten to a pulp by Hakeem in their '95 WCF's H2H's (no question, albeit, Robinson's TS% wasn't that bad... Hakeem outshot him by a .581 to .536 margin); being labeled "soft" by Shaq; and Duncan's "Robin", which was really only true because Robinson was past his peak when Duncan arrived, and continued to go downhill after that.

The reality was, he was actually a better offensive player than Hakeem, and nearly as good at rebounding and defense. And while Shaq was the better player, a prime Robinson was nearly as good, and in fact, even an aging Admiral considerably lowered Shaq's production in their post-season H2H's.

LAZERUSS
09-23-2014, 04:40 AM
Agree, he was VERY highly regarded prior to that series, and Hakeem's legacy also took a massive spike from that series. I dont think he makes many people's top ten list without that entire 95 playoff run, I mean he was otherwordly.

No doubt that the '95 WCF's was one of the greatest beatdowns that one prime HOFer has ever handed another prime HOFer.

IMHO, Robinson's legacy was forever diminished because of it, and Hakeem's career became massively over-rated by it.

Again, over the course of their 42 other H2H games, and if you include winning, Robinson was the better player.

millwad
09-23-2014, 07:08 AM

David Robinson was very much like Wilt, both did great in the regular season but tended to choke and play worse in the playoffs.

Mr Exlax
09-23-2014, 08:47 AM
David Robinson was very much like Wilt, both did great in the regular season but tended to choke and play worse in the playoffs.

I don't recall seeing DRob choke though. Sure he got outplayed by Hakeem, but even then I don't remember him ever stinking it up during the playoffs. He had a fairly good and balanced team. Wilt on the otherhand had to carry his teams in every aspect for them to be competitive most of the time right?

ImKobe
09-23-2014, 08:48 AM
D-Rob, Hakeem's little toy... It's funny how an older Hakeem completely abused MVP D-Rob.

Rake2204
09-23-2014, 10:25 AM
Easily the best center in today's NBA.

Not to belabor the point, but when I look back on D-Rob's career, he seems to be remembered for supposedly being outplayed by Sabonis (which was completely false); for being beaten to a pulp by Hakeem in their '95 WCF's H2H's (no question, albeit, Robinson's TS% wasn't that bad... Hakeem outshot him by a .581 to .536 margin); being labeled "soft" by Shaq; and Duncan's "Robin", which was really only true because Robinson was past his peak when Duncan arrived, and continued to go downhill after that.

The reality was, he was actually a better offensive player than Hakeem, and nearly as good at rebounding and defense. And while Shaq was the better player, a prime Robinson was nearly as good, and in fact, even an aging Admiral considerably lowered Shaq's production in their post-season H2H's.As a David Robinson fan, it warms my heart to read posts like these. It's tough for me to weigh in on this topic because of my bias. Logic and reason has told me over time that one series and, to a large extent one single play (a gif of Hakeem's up-and-under that caught on many years ago) has made Robinson an easy target for blanket statements and wild exaggerations.

Quite honestly, the amount of hate and judgment of Robinson's career and abilities based off of Hakeem's performance in the '95 playoffs tends to insinuate that Robinson must have put up 8 & 8 in the series on 34% shooting. I don't think Robinson catches Roy Hibbert-in-2014-playoffs hate, but sometimes it feels as though it's in the same ball park, and that's crazy to me for a guy who averaged 24 & 11 in a tough six game series.

Hakeem blasted through everyone that year and he surely outplayed Robinson, but the conclusions drawn from that singular series (from many who may have actually never watched) seems wildly out of proportion.