PDA

View Full Version : Lakers sign SG Wayne Ellington

Hey Yo
09-22-2014, 07:04 PM
Mike Bresnahan ‏@Mike_Bresnahan 18m

Lakers sign shooting guard Wayne Ellington, formerly of Minnesota, Memphis, Cleveland + Dallas. Averaged 6.4 points thru 5 NBA seasons.

TheMarkMadsen
09-22-2014, 07:33 PM
Good signing.

oarabbus
09-22-2014, 07:35 PM
Doesn't this just add to their SG/SF logjam?

Haymaker
09-22-2014, 07:37 PM
2015 NBA Champs!!

IGOTGAME
09-22-2014, 08:20 PM
Doesn't this just add to their SG/SF logjam?

they are gonna need guys that can hit shots around Kobe. He is just insurance for that imo.

sammichoffate
09-23-2014, 12:03 AM
They desperately need a serviceable big like Okafor. That defense will be awful without someone like that

ZeN
09-23-2014, 12:07 AM
They desperately need a serviceable big like Okafor. That defense will be awful without someone like that
Unfortunately it looks like the Lakers are going to go small ball..

sammichoffate
09-23-2014, 12:10 AM
Unfortunately it looks like the Lakers are going to go small ball..This won't end well then :facepalm

alec613
09-23-2014, 12:11 AM
Dude is so underrated here.
He's the key to their playoff run this season

SexSymbol
09-23-2014, 03:22 AM
Jordan Hill is one of the best defenders and centers overall in this league

uber
09-23-2014, 03:24 AM
game changer

Cocaine80s
09-23-2014, 03:26 AM
i guess this means Kobe isnt ready yet

kennethgriffin
09-23-2014, 03:37 AM
wayne ellingtons per 36 min stats last year

14ppg, 4reb, 2ast on 44% fg's, 42% threes, 91% ft's

this guys a shooter. ray allen type role player numbers. great signing

could easly play the fisher role with kobe at PG on offense. ellington at PG on defense

Cold soul
09-23-2014, 03:41 AM
Solid signing. I like it.

All Net
09-23-2014, 04:17 AM
Good cheap signing.

BlackWhiteGreen
09-23-2014, 04:51 AM
He should be on a contender, not a pile of shit 12th seed

mugiwara
09-23-2014, 05:02 AM
This guy has excellent perimeter footwork

NZStreetBaller
09-23-2014, 06:23 AM
lakers looking like they have a much better roster then last year

All Net
09-23-2014, 08:14 AM
He should be on a contender, not a pile of shit 12th seed
You say the nicest things.

ImKobe
09-23-2014, 08:38 AM
Just an extra shooter on the roster... Dallas also used him at SF at times so he can get some back-up SF mins off the bench too I bet, since we're going small ball

Good thing is that Hill can play and defend the C position quite well, so I don't think we need a 7 fter just because teams have bigger guys at that position...We got bigs that will produce consistently on the offensive end, Hill can protect the rim, Randle has a lot to learn in that regard but he hasn't played a single minute in the NBA so we can't say for sure how good he'll be...

small ball teams have had a lot of success recently, Phoenix is a good example. Miami obviously... OKC got size at their C position but none of them really produced that well (Perk, Thabeet, Adams)......

In the WC, you need to be able to play at a higher pace and score a lot, we have that... I'd rather have a 6-9/6-10 Center that can run in transition and play longer stretches than a 7-fter with stamina issues (I'm looking at you, Pau).

Heck, Boozer played most of the season at C for Chicago in 10-11 and put up nice numbers (18-10 with a 95 DRTG, his career best).. Ed Davis played C for Toronto and did well...

We have guys that can fill the position, I don't think size will be an issue since we'll be tiring teams out on the other end, try double/triple teaming Kobe when the Lakers have scoring threats at every other position on the floor. Guys will be raining trees left and right, look for Hill and Lin to shoot 4-5 threes a game and make above 35% of them.

If our team can hit the 3, we'll be very much in the Playoff race, obviously this also depends on Kobe's health, but he's never had two "unhealthy" seasons in a row, he's had seasons with knee issues before and he's always come back better than ever (2005 season, 2011 season) after getting some time off and getting treatments in Germany. Look for Kobe to play 70 games this year while missing about a dozen due to b2bs and some knee soreness.

BlackWhiteGreen
09-23-2014, 08:40 AM
You say the nicest things.

Haha sorry, but he was a difference maker on Memphis a couple of years ago - can't believe someone like OKC wasn't interested and he wasn't interested in them. As a limited player he should go somewhere that can maximise him - I don't see that happening on a poor team.

And he's a wing guy, probably better than Young, Henry and Johnson but still, there's a minutes fight there.

ImKobe
09-23-2014, 08:45 AM
Haha sorry, but he was a difference maker on Memphis a couple of years ago - can't believe someone like OKC wasn't interested and he wasn't interested in them. As a limited player he should go somewhere that can maximise him - I don't see that happening on a poor team.

And he's a wing guy, probably better than Young, Henry and Johnson but still, there's a minutes fight there.

I don't think he's better than Young or Henry and if Johnson can consistently hit the 3, he's better as well because of what he does on the defensive end.

There will be a minute fight and I bet you Ellington will earn some, but these guys will get minutes regardless because Kobe's not going to play over 75 games and I don't think he'll average more than 32-34 MPG, which leaves some minutes on the board. Plus, Henry's coming off wrist and knee surgery...

BlackWhiteGreen
09-23-2014, 08:53 AM
I don't think he's better than Young or Henry and if Johnson can consistently hit the 3, he's better as well because of what he does on the defensive end.

There will be a minute fight and I bet you Ellington will earn some, but these guys will get minutes regardless because Kobe's not going to play over 75 games and I don't think he'll average more than 32-34 MPG, which leaves some minutes on the board. Plus, Henry's coming off wrist and knee surgery...

Sure, OK, but he could absolutely get 25 minutes a game in OKC. He might just want to live in LA tbf.

ImKobe
09-23-2014, 08:56 AM
Sure, OK, but he could absolutely get 25 minutes a game in OKC. He might just want to live in LA tbf.

I think he could because he isn't completely lost on D and his shooting ability is something every NBA team could use. Every team has injuries throughout the season and Lakers will often rest Kobe in b2b games, so he'll have opportunities to shine http://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/ld.png

bagelred
09-23-2014, 09:38 AM
Dis brotha went from Dallas to New York to Sacramento to Los Angeles in da summer. Just call him Quentin Richardson, yo.

RRR3
09-23-2014, 10:19 AM
Just an extra shooter on the roster... Dallas also used him at SF at times so he can get some back-up SF mins off the bench too I bet, since we're going small ball

Good thing is that Hill can play and defend the C position quite well, so I don't think we need a 7 fter just because teams have bigger guys at that position...We got bigs that will produce consistently on the offensive end, Hill can protect the rim, Randle has a lot to learn in that regard but he hasn't played a single minute in the NBA so we can't say for sure how good he'll be...

small ball teams have had a lot of success recently, Phoenix is a good example. Miami obviously... OKC got size at their C position but none of them really produced that well (Perk, Thabeet, Adams)......

In the WC, you need to be able to play at a higher pace and score a lot, we have that... I'd rather have a 6-9/6-10 Center that can run in transition and play longer stretches than a 7-fter with stamina issues (I'm looking at you, Pau).

Heck, Boozer played most of the season at C for Chicago in 10-11 and put up nice numbers (18-10 with a 95 DRTG, his career best).. Ed Davis played C for Toronto and did well...

We have guys that can fill the position, I don't think size will be an issue since we'll be tiring teams out on the other end, try double/triple teaming Kobe when the Lakers have scoring threats at every other position on the floor. Guys will be raining trees left and right, look for Hill and Lin to shoot 4-5 threes a game and make above 35% of them.

If our team can hit the 3, we'll be very much in the Playoff race, obviously this also depends on Kobe's health, but he's never had two "unhealthy" seasons in a row, he's had seasons with knee issues before and he's always come back better than ever (2005 season, 2011 season) after getting some time off and getting treatments in Germany. Look for Kobe to play 70 games this year while missing about a dozen due to b2bs and some knee soreness.
Good post, but what makes u think Hill can shoot 3s?

ImKobe
09-23-2014, 10:42 AM
Good post, but what makes u think Hill can shoot 3s?

Ofc he can't, but he shot 40% from mid-range last season, so I'm looking for him to keep improving his shot and hopefully he'll be healthy to play 25-30 mpg, he's reaching his peak and he's only 27 yrs old. Look for Jordan to have a breakout year.