View Full Version : Former NBA player Caldwell Jones dies at 64

Basketball Fan
09-22-2014, 08:30 PM
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/22/caldwell-jones-dies-at-64/

[QUOTE]Caldwell Jones dies at 64

Caldwell Jones

senelcoolidge
09-23-2014, 01:32 AM
I think he was on the 1983 championship team. I know he was on the 77 team that lost to Portland in the Finals. The most famous of the Jones brothers that played in the NBA. Caldwell, Wil, Major, and Charles.

SHAQisGOAT
09-23-2014, 02:15 AM
Damn, I mentioned him recently when fpliii posted the 76ers dunking data from when he used to play... Was talking about how athletic that team was.

Dude was almost 7', lots of length, lanky and very mobile/athletic. Didn't do much on offense but was big on the boards and a great defensive player in his best years, capable of blocking shots and guard many frontcourt players (I remember him guarding Bird plenty of times, Larry posterized him once too); made all-defensive 1st twice, with the 76ers, before they got Moses and sent him to Houston.

RIP

SHAQisGOAT
09-23-2014, 02:17 AM
I think he was on the 1983 championship team. I know he was on the 77 team that lost to Portland in the Finals. The most famous of the Jones brothers that played in the NBA. Caldwell, Wil, Major, and Charles.

Yea, he was there in 1977... Not in 1983, when they won, though. He was sent to the Rockets when Philly signed Moses.

Rake2204
09-23-2014, 10:32 AM
It was nice to read and learn a little about Caldwell. I did not know he was such a character. Unfortunately, I did not have an opportunity to know him much as a player. By the time I was six years old, he was just a guy whose basketball card told me he averaged 2 points per game for David Robinson's team (first grade Rake didn't yet have an ability to look at the whole picture, which is why he never gave Kiki Vandeweghe his due either).

http://www.tradingcarddb.com/Images/Cards/Basketball/2080/2080-268Fr.jpg

This will sound stupid, but I actually gained the most familiarity with Jones after repeatedly using the 1977 76ers on NBA 2K. Their classic teams can actually help illustrate which players filled what kind of roles for big time teams I never had a chance to see. It provided a new appreciation for guys like Jones or say, Jon McGlocklin.

kshutts1
09-23-2014, 10:36 AM
Chili dogs for breakfast? Can't say his demise was a surprise...