PDA

View Full Version : Shawn Marion vs Andre Iguodala

Fire Colangelo
09-22-2014, 10:08 PM
Who's the better/more impactful player in their primes?

Marion has the statistical edge, but keep in mind that Iggy's always been one of those guys that was way better than his stats suggested. As seen with his only all star selection came from one of his worst statistical years.

KendrickPerkins
09-22-2014, 10:10 PM
We talkin Prime Matrix? If so, it's him rather easily.

RedBlackAttack
09-22-2014, 11:02 PM
We talkin Prime Matrix? If so, it's him rather easily.
I concur. Because Marion in his prime was on a team that was all-offense, he was unfairly tossed in that pile... but he was one of the most complete players around in his prime.

Iggy is good, but not that good.

fsvr54
09-22-2014, 11:10 PM
Have to agree with Marion.

L.Kizzle
09-22-2014, 11:14 PM
Marion is the only answer.

Milbuck
09-22-2014, 11:21 PM
I'd take Matrix as well..but the gap isn't as huge as people are making it to be.

Peak Iggy was a 20/5/5/2/1 player with elite perimeter defense, and legit playmaking and ball handling abilities as a point-forward. And he was doing that on a team ranked 20th in pace..not the 1st in pace, not on a team known for its high octane offense.

We have no idea how he would've produced in such a fast paced high volume offense in Phoenix, playing off one of the GOAT offense runners in Nash the way Marion was able to during his prime.

It really depends on what my team needs. If I have a great defensive center and need a highly versatile player who can play and guard both forward spots without compromising in rebounding, defense, scoring etc...I'm taking Marion without hesitation.

But if I already have a great front court at both PF and C, and a good PG..but really need a secondary ballhandler/playmaker who can also be the go-to defensive stopper at the 1 to 3...I might take Iggy :confusedshrug:

To4
09-23-2014, 12:18 AM
Prime Kirelenko.

bizil
09-23-2014, 12:51 AM
I would take Marion. He has similar defensive versatility, was among the best rebounders in the world at his peak, and was good for 23 a night. Marion I think has an outside shot at the HOF. He won't be first ballot or second ballot. But ANYTIME u are a 20 point scorer who was a great rebounder, and among the most versatile defenders of all time, I think u should have a great case. Iggy is a stud and true point forward who is underrated for sure though. He's a notch below a Pippen style point forward.

Cold soul
09-23-2014, 12:52 AM
Marion is the correct answer.

bizil
09-23-2014, 12:56 AM
I'd take Matrix as well..but the gap isn't as huge as people are making it to be.

Peak Iggy was a 20/5/5/2/1 player with elite perimeter defense, and legit playmaking and ball handling abilities as a point-forward. And he was doing that on a team ranked 20th in pace..not the 1st in pace, not on a team known for its high octane offense.

We have no idea how he would've produced in such a fast paced high volume offense in Phoenix, playing off one of the GOAT offense runners in Nash the way Marion was able to during his prime.

It really depends on what my team needs. If I have a great defensive center and need a highly versatile player who can play and guard both forward spots without compromising in rebounding, defense, scoring etc...I'm taking Marion without hesitation.

But if I already have a great front court at both PF and C, and a good PG..but really need a secondary ballhandler/playmaker who can also be the go-to defensive stopper at the 1 to 3...I might take Iggy :confusedshrug:

Well said! Marion was a combo forward who could defend PG to PF well. Iggy is more of a guy who can play and defend PG-SF and maybe some PF in if needed. On both sides on the rock as a package, Iggy is the more versatile player. However Marion allows teams to go small at PF while still being able to rebound and defend with the bigs AND create a major mismatch on the other end. Both are freak athletes who can be a third option BUT get u 20 points a night in the flow of the offense. Great, great All-Star role players to have!

SyRyanYang
09-23-2014, 03:27 AM
Marion and it's not even close tbh.

JonatanRey
09-23-2014, 10:39 AM
Tough to compare a SG/SF with a SF/PF. Anyway, Marion was better in everything but passing and that shoot mechanic. Way better.

scm5
09-23-2014, 11:37 AM
Marion. Iggy is still a beast though.

Manila
09-23-2014, 12:39 PM
IGgy is still in his prime age, hop he can bounce back as a player.

T_L_P
09-23-2014, 12:41 PM
Prime Kirelenko.

Agreed. :cheers:

I'd choose Matrix though.

Iggy last year was a better defender than Matrix ever was, but Marion was really versatile and a leader.

Baller1986
09-23-2014, 12:47 PM
Marion was a 20/12 player during his prime And he should have been in the all nba defensive team in 2006.

All Net
09-23-2014, 12:56 PM
Marion in his prime was a beast. To average what he did and on the boards at his height was amazing.

Fire Colangelo
09-23-2014, 01:46 PM
Good answers.

I guess I always underrated prime Marion's defense, since he was on a few average-bad defensive teams in his prime with the Marbury/Nash Suns.

Somebody brought up a good point with Kirilenko though, who was better between Marion and Kirilenko?

T_L_P
09-23-2014, 02:08 PM
Good answers.

I guess I always underrated prime Marion's defense, since he was on a few average-bad defensive teams in his prime with the Marbury/Nash Suns.

Somebody brought up a good point with Kirilenko though, who was better between Marion and Kirilenko?

Peak Ak might be the best non-big defender ever. He was just everywhere on the court.

I'd take that over Marion. Marion's prime was like 5x longer though, so him.

oarabbus
09-23-2014, 03:34 PM
How about Prime Marion vs Prime Kirilenko?

L.Kizzle
09-23-2014, 03:56 PM
How about Prime Marion vs Prime Kirilenko?
Marion easily. AK vs Iggy is a better comparison.

bizil
09-23-2014, 04:58 PM
Marion easily. AK vs Iggy is a better comparison.

Yep Marion easily. Marion's scoring totally trumps AK's. And Marion is just as good or better at everything else. People gotta realize that Marion is a borderline HOF kind of talent. AK was NEVER on that kind of level.

houston
09-24-2014, 01:06 AM
marion by far

T_L_P
09-24-2014, 01:09 AM
Yep Marion easily. Marion's scoring totally trumps AK's. And Marion is just as good or better at everything else. People gotta realize that Marion is a borderline HOF kind of talent. AK was NEVER on that kind of level.

Andrei was the better defender, but I get what you're saying.

dubeta
09-24-2014, 01:14 AM
I'm going with Iguodala here

oarabbus
09-24-2014, 02:23 AM

I agree that Marion is a fringe HOF level player and AK is not. But at their very peaks:

Marion 05-06': 22/12/2stl/1.7blk on 52%, 80%ft :bowdown:
Kirilenko 17/8/2stl/3blk

3 blocks/game average is ludicrous for a non-big. His best year, 3.3 blocks, is higher than Olajuwon and Mutumbo's career blocks per game. But Kirilenko's impact went beyond his stats. Matrix's amazing defense does too, but Kirilenko was a suffocating presence on the court like few players have been during his best most athletic years.

bizil
09-24-2014, 02:51 AM
I agree that Marion is a fringe HOF level player and AK is not. But at their very peaks:

Marion 05-06': 22/12/2stl/1.7blk on 52%, 80%ft :bowdown:
Kirilenko 17/8/2stl/3blk

3 blocks/game average is ludicrous for a non-big. His best year, 3.3 blocks, is higher than Olajuwon and Mutumbo's career blocks per game. But Kirilenko's impact went beyond his stats. Matrix's amazing defense does too, but Kirilenko was a suffocating presence on the court like few players have been during his best most athletic years.

Agreed! Defensively, U could actually say AK 47 was better! What gave Marion the upper hand was the scoring and boards. But Kirilenko was a beast all around at his best no doubt. I think he's like the new improved version of a Bobby Jones but a better scorer! If Utah could have gotten him on that Jazz team in the late 90's, that would have been HUGE! That Jazz team was missing elite perimeter defense to really make MJ and Pippen work.

bizil
09-24-2014, 02:55 AM
Andrei was the better defender, but I get what you're saying.

I agree with that! Both great defenders, but I would give the edge to Kirilenko. In the early 2000s, u could say they were in the top four defensive SF's in the world. Even though Marion didn't get those All Defense nods like he should have. I know Artest and Bowen were sick on D too. But I think Andrei and Matrix had a freakish athletic ability that made them unique.

oarabbus
09-24-2014, 03:04 AM
Marion or Paul George? How bout that one

JonatanRey
09-24-2014, 05:11 AM
Marion or Paul George? How bout that one

Marion by a wider margin.

andremiller07
09-24-2014, 05:19 AM
Marion easy

While I think Iggy is more naturally skilled (his play-making is nice) he's just way to passive, he's kind of like Batum in that sense he doesn't involve himself enough in games for the talent/ability he has.

Marion on the other hand is always active putting himself in the right spots and while not really having the vision/dribbling he always get's the job done cause he makes himself available and willing. Also Marion has the greatest 2nd jump I have ever seen in my life.