PDA

View Full Version : MJ vs the Glyde or Dream vs the Admiral?

sportjames23
09-23-2014, 07:59 AM
h/t to Round Mound

Some say that Hakeem Olajuwon beat the brakes off of David Robinson in the 1995 WC playoffs. Some say Michael Jordan schooled Clyde Drexler in the 1992 NBA Finals.

Which superstar beatdown was better?

Dream vs Admiral:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=olajuha01&p2=robinda01#stats_playoffs::none

MJ vs Glyde:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=jordami01&p2=drexlcl01#stats_playoffs::none

I honestly never thought that MJ nor Dream destroyed their respective rival, but looking at the stats, I do see that indeed MJ and Dream did convincingly outplay them (still wouldn't say they were destroyed, though). Then again, I've never really been a stat whore, so I've rarely paid attention to stats outside of ppg or rpg (ya'll can miss me with that PER and win shares shit).

Collie
09-23-2014, 11:29 AM
I'd go with Hakeem vs Drob.

MJ was always seen as quite the superior player over Drexler, and the 92 "rivalry" was more of the media looking for the next great rivalry. Also, MJ 6 3's was the most memorable thing about that series.

Dream vs Admiral was much closer, and David was the legit MVP that year, put up 28-11 and led the Spurs to the best record. Their careers up to that point was debatable, but that single series defined their legacies. It was an ex-MVP taking back his crown against his top rival.

fpliii
09-23-2014, 11:45 AM
I'd go with Hakeem vs Drob.

MJ was always seen as quite the superior player over Drexler, and the 92 "rivalry" was more of the media looking for the next great rivalry. Also, MJ 6 3's was the most memorable thing about that series.

Dream vs Admiral was much closer, and David was the legit MVP that year, put up 28-11 and led the Spurs to the best record. Their careers up to that point was debatable, but that single series defined their legacies. It was an ex-MVP taking back his crown against his top rival.
Agree with this.

There was a legit discussion about Hakeem vs Ewing, Robinson, and Shaq until those playoffs (Shaq didn't do as badly as the other two obviously and had a dominant career).

I didn't start watching until the season after the 92 Finals, but from my understanding, while those Blazers teams got tons of hype as a super talented team (maybe like the current Thunder?), the Drexler=Jordan comparison never really had any legs. Could be wrong, just my take looking at it after the fact.

ProfessorMurder
09-23-2014, 12:36 PM
Agree with this.

There was a legit discussion about Hakeem vs Ewing, Robinson, and Shaq until those playoffs (Shaq didn't do as badly as the other two obviously and had a dominant career).

I didn't start watching until the season after the 92 Finals, but from my understanding, while those Blazers teams got tons of hype as a super talented team (maybe like the current Thunder?), the Drexler=Jordan comparison never really had any legs. Could be wrong, just my take looking at it after the fact.

The Blazers teams were more like the early 00's Kings/Jailblazers, and current Spurs in my opinion. Deep team full of talented players. Just didn't get over the hump.

fpliii
09-23-2014, 12:51 PM
The Blazers teams were more like the early 00's Kings/Jailblazers, and current Spurs in my opinion. Deep team full of talented players. Just didn't get over the hump.
Gotcha. :cheers:

SamuraiSWISH
09-23-2014, 02:30 PM
Dream.

MJ was obviously better than Drexler. It was a media hype equation trying to stack up to the previous year's Magic v.s. Michael headline. Clyde didn't deserve it.

He got thoroughly outplayed, and then dominated again in Dream Team practices. But with Hakeem v.s. D-Rob, people were beginning to consider Robinson as being better. He won MVP. So Hakeem was the underdog, and still obliterated him.

MJ let it be known from the first half of game 1 of the '92 Finals there was no comparison. Media was searching for a Bird v.s. Magic rivalry to challenge Jordan. But no one was a true worthy contender.