PDA

View Full Version : Report: Cavs' Tristan Thompson will ask for upwards of $11M per season

Legends66NBA7
09-23-2014, 06:35 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24721937/report-cavs-tristan-thompson-will-ask-for-upwards-of-11m-per-season

Cleveland Cavaliers big man Tristan Thompson is seeking upwards of $11 million per season on his next contract, according to the Akron Beacon Journal's Jason Lloyd. He's eligible for an extension before Oct. 31, and he'll be a restricted free agent next summer.

"He will ask for the type of money previously given to Derrick Favors (four years, $49 million) and Larry Sanders (four years, $44 million). What will hurt Thompson's case, however, is the Greg Monroe saga. Monroe, by all accounts a better player than Thompson, was forced to sign a one-year qualifying offer with the Pistons after failing to reach agreement on a long-term contract with anyone this summer. He will now be an unrestricted free agent next summer."

Yeah, that's a lot of money, and he hasn't proved himself to be an above-average power forward yet. But there are a bunch of things at play here, most notably the fact that Thompson's agent, Rich Paul, also represents LeBron James. The assumption is that, since Paul brought James to Cleveland, the organization will reward him with a huge deal for Thompson.

The Cavs and Paul haven't discussed an extension yet, according to The Akron Beacon Journal, which also reported that "it's difficult to envision a deal not getting done eventually" if he plays out the season.

Through three years, the No. 4 pick of the 2011 draft has been a solid role player, but that's it. Thompson averaged 11.7 points and 9.2 rebounds per game last season, shooting 48 percent from the field but not improving his jumper as much as he hoped after switching shooting hands. Next season, he'll probably come off the bench, but should see significant time at center and will likely look excellent playing off of James.

Remember how many open dunks a young J.J. Hickson got by simply moving into open space and catching James' passes? Thompson will be great in that role, and he could be productive enough that he'll have several suitors in free agency. Power forward will remain his natural position, though, and the league is stacked there. Unless he makes serious progress as a shooter or rim protector, he probably shoudn't be given a huge raise given the cheap alternatives available. It'll be interesting to see if Cleveland gives one to him anyway.

navy
09-23-2014, 06:36 PM
Let him walk.

dubeta
09-23-2014, 06:44 PM
Should have traded him and waiters for Love and kept wiggins

Smook A.
09-23-2014, 06:45 PM
No way he'll be getting a contract like that from the Cavs. Best thing they can do is trade him.

kurple
09-23-2014, 06:45 PM
wonder how much we gun have to pay faried

mattvNJ
09-23-2014, 07:56 PM

after that tourney a butt ton, really like him though. your lucky to have him on your squad. talented hustle guy.

G-train
09-23-2014, 08:00 PM
No way he'll be getting a contract like that from the Cavs. Best thing they can do is trade him.

This is reality where agents and friends of certain people get treated differently, and deals are done to get other deals done.

He will start at centre, and average 12/9 on decent %'s, and get $11m a season.

RedBlackAttack
09-23-2014, 08:00 PM
One fact people are missing when they discuss TT's upcoming negotiations/contract... the Cavs are going to be well over the cap regardless of whether they re-sign Tristan or if he walks. Back before James and Love came aboard, this was a real debate amongst Cavs fans... what is Tristan worth and how much should we pay him?

Now, it just comes down to how much Dan Gilbert is willing to spend over the cap. Once Love gets his contract extension, LeBron extends and Kyrie's max extension kicks in, the Cavs are going to have zero flexibility on the open market. None. Nada.

The only potential for adding new/different pieces will be via trade. Letting guys like Tristan and Dion walk will do nothing to help their cap situation.

G-train
09-23-2014, 08:04 PM

Not as much as you think.
6'6 energy power forwards who can't shoot won't get big deals... unless someone overpays him and Denver wants to match.

chazzy
09-23-2014, 08:05 PM
lol, Rich Paul

G-train
09-23-2014, 08:07 PM
after that tourney a butt ton, really like him though. your lucky to have him on your squad. talented hustle guy.

World championship play shouldn't affect an NBA contract IMO.
He was in an all-star team.

JT123
09-23-2014, 08:18 PM
He'll take a pay cut. Players don't walk away from the King.

QuebecBaller
09-23-2014, 08:19 PM
You can't ask for 11 millions when you're gonna spend the entire season as a backup PF (unless Love get injure)

bluechox2
09-23-2014, 08:26 PM
lebron said the door is that way

JohnMax
09-23-2014, 08:29 PM
prime hairline is worth max

Meticode
09-23-2014, 09:30 PM
Except the Wolves would've said no.

FireMcFailPlease
09-23-2014, 09:31 PM
Oh. Didn't know Minnesota didn't have a say in what they got in return.

:roll: :roll:

Minny would've held onto Love rather than take on TT and DW

Bosnian Sajo
09-23-2014, 09:36 PM
One fact people are missing when they discuss TT's upcoming negotiations/contract... the Cavs are going to be well over the cap regardless of whether they re-sign Tristan or if he walks. Back before James and Love came aboard, this was a real debate amongst Cavs fans... what is Tristan worth and how much should we pay him?

Now, it just comes down to how much Dan Gilbert is willing to spend over the cap. Once Love gets his contract extension, LeBron extends and Kyrie's max extension kicks in, the Cavs are going to have zero flexibility on the open market. None. Nada.

The only potential for adding new/different pieces will be via trade. Letting guys like Tristan and Dion walk will do nothing to help their cap situation.

With Lebron only having signed a one year deal with your team and, as you said, the cavs being over the cap...will they even be able to resign him? They don't have his bird rights..:confusedshrug:

Lord Bean
09-23-2014, 09:47 PM
Players don't walk away from the King.
Because Lebron does the walking and team jumping himself

G-train
09-23-2014, 09:56 PM

Lebron said hey TT is my pal and as part of my deal to come back you have to give him a big contract so he and my agent get paid.

dubeta
09-23-2014, 10:07 PM

This.

Playing with GoatBron is worth 3-4 Million to most players due to LeBron helping to make the players look better than they are (Daniel Gibson, Mo williams, Delonte West)

Which means he will probably sign for 7-8 million a year

KyrieTheFuture
09-23-2014, 11:02 PM
How in the world is this type of thing not incredibly illegal? Or at least a violation of the code of ethics?

andremiller07
09-23-2014, 11:10 PM
In terms of stupidity on par with Rubio seeking max deal

hawksdogsbraves
09-23-2014, 11:11 PM
TT is the most mediocre big ever, why would a big softy who can't play defense expect to get $10mil+?

navy
09-23-2014, 11:15 PM
TT is the most mediocre big ever, why would a big softy who can't play defense expect to get $10mil+?
He tries hard. :no:

navy
09-23-2014, 11:15 PM
He tries hard. :no:

MiseryCityTexas
09-23-2014, 11:19 PM
He's not even worth 5 million. No wonder he played so good last season smh.

G-train
09-24-2014, 12:25 AM

Pretty bad statement/question.

JohnFreeman
09-24-2014, 12:28 AM
Rich Paul is terrible

Brokenbeat
09-24-2014, 02:09 AM
Because Lebron does the walking and team jumping himself

:lebronamazed:

SavageMode
09-24-2014, 02:12 AM
Rather let this scrub walk if I were Cavs FO.

Brokenbeat
09-24-2014, 02:25 AM
Rather let this scrub walk if I were Cavs FO.

Seriously. Dude is out of his mind if he thinks he's getting anything even close to that. :facepalm

kennethgriffin
09-24-2014, 02:33 AM

they never get the chance. lebrons has a habit of leaving premature without notice

RedBlackAttack
09-24-2014, 03:44 AM
With Lebron only having signed a one year deal with your team and, as you said, the cavs being over the cap...will they even be able to resign him? They don't have his bird rights..:confusedshrug:
They do have his Bird rights. Why wouldn't they? The way the cap is structured, you can be over the cap and still extend guys that are on your own team. Hell, you can extend as many as you want as long as you're not afraid of paying the luxury tax (Gilbert has already shown money is no object)... you just can't hunt on the open market.

The Cavs have the option of extending Love, LeBron, Waiters and Thompson... which I'm sure they will.

rightsideup
09-24-2014, 04:01 AM
Should have traded him and waiters for Love and kept wigginsdeal would not have gone thru if wig was not included

dubeta
09-24-2014, 04:03 AM
deal would not have gone thru if wig was not included

Thats something none of us would have ever found out for sure

Bennet, Thompson, and Waiters would have been enough imo

iamgine
09-24-2014, 04:33 AM

They'll still be over the cap but wouldn't it save them a butt load of luxury tax money? Like $40 million or even more?

andremiller07
09-24-2014, 05:03 AM
It has to be the agent saying this cause no way TT is stupid enough to believe he's worth that money, it just doesn't make sense to me how someone that's not that talented (he's not really a guy you would say has massive upside) and really has not done that much can warrant that type of deal.

Guys like Larry Sanders, Favors are both extremely athletic (not undersized either) and have showed that maybe they can be massive forces on the defensvie end (Sanders has proved it)/tere;'s very few people with Favors physical tools), which is why to some degree they warranted those deals they are in some ways game changers. TT i just don't see as a game changer he's that solid glue guy who comes in works and goes home, he won't lose you a game but he won't win you one either.

Taj Gibson is earning around 5-7mil mark and right now regardless of age (since I don't think TT upside is super high) there is a massive difference between the two of them.

JonatanRey
09-24-2014, 05:18 AM
Tristan is an unnecessary player for almost every team.

Undersized+unable to play defense+unable to score. 11M/season is a joke.

He shouldnt be playing more than 25 minutes on a team that pretends to play in the offseason. I mean, he is not a scrub, he just doesnt deserve that money. He doesnt even deserve the half of that.

DukeDelonte13
09-24-2014, 07:32 AM
this "TT can't play defense" is one of the most stupid rumors perpetuated on ISH.

Is he worth 11 mil? No. He's not. Whenever you go into a negotiation you start high. Rich Paul isn't about to walk in and demand 6 million a year for his client.

fiddy
09-24-2014, 07:48 AM
this "TT can't play defense" is one of the most stupid rumors perpetuated on ISH.

Is he worth 11 mil? No. He's not. Whenever you go into a negotiation you start high. Rich Paul isn't about to walk in and demand 6 million a year for his client.
..so he goes onto and demands a ridiculous amount of money. He should demand something closer to his fair market value in the range of 6-7-8 mil per year. If the market decides hes worth more he will get offers of 10+ mil.

DukeDelonte13
09-24-2014, 07:56 AM
..so he goes onto and demands a ridiculous amount of money. He should demand something closer to his fair market value in the range of 6-7-8 mil per year. If the market decides hes worth more he will get offers of 10+ mil.

is 11 million all that ridiculous? I mean it's high but it's not like he's asking for the max.

Some of you people are just :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

He'll probably get something similar to what Andy V got, which was like a 6 year 50 million dollar deal with a team option on the last year that's heavily incentive based. Everyone will freak out when it's announced and in reality he'll get something like 7.5 mill a year.

NumberSix
09-24-2014, 08:18 AM
It's called negotiating people. He doesn't actually think he's going to get that much.

HiphopRelated
09-24-2014, 08:26 AM
This.

Playing with GoatBron is worth 3-4 Million to most players due to LeBron helping to make the players look better than they are (Daniel Gibson, Mo williams, Delonte West)

Which means he will probably sign for 7-8 million a year
Thompson is a guard 3 point shooter?

chips93
09-24-2014, 09:11 AM

lebrons agency represents tristan, so the more tristan makes, the more money lebron and his agency make.

after bledsoe (who he seems to have ****ed up on) tristan will be rich paul/lebron's second free agent, so he will want to prove he can get his clients good money.

im expecting tristan to get overpaid

Nash
09-24-2014, 09:21 AM
Trade him for Larry Sanders

TheMilkyBarKid
09-24-2014, 10:18 AM
That would be ideal for Cleveland, but doubt it will happen.

gasolina
09-24-2014, 11:05 AM
They do have his Bird rights. Why wouldn't they? The way the cap is structured, you can be over the cap and still extend guys that are on your own team. Hell, you can extend as many as you want as long as you're not afraid of paying the luxury tax (Gilbert has already shown money is no object)... you just can't hunt on the open market.

The Cavs have the option of extending Love, LeBron, Waiters and Thompson... which I'm sure they will.
I thought a player should've at least played 3 years with a team to get bird rights?

Lebron's deal is 1 year with player option for the 2nd year right? So wouldn't he have bird rights on the 3rd year?

Wasn't the point of being a free agent in 1-2 years time was so he can cash in the the new salary cap?

HurricaneKid
09-24-2014, 11:11 AM

A) They can't. Salaries don't match.

B) Bucks laugh hysterically and hang up the phone.

4s who can't shoot and can't protect the rim are all but worthless in todays game.

[I]He could well put up something like a 14-8 line on 53 percent shooting, and if he does that, the Cavs will crow that their pending eight-figure overpay is a bargain under a rising cap.

BigTicket
09-24-2014, 11:33 AM
Sure, he's going to ask for it. I would do the same if I was in his position.

I don't think he will get it though, nor should he. He's just not worth that much money. He may be young, but his game has some big holes, and he hasn't improved much in the last three years.

I don't think he has much bargaining power either. If Greg Monroe couldn't get an offer from anyone, why would Tristian Thompson get one ?

AnaheimLakers24
09-24-2014, 11:34 AM
young guys dont want to play with bran

kshutts1
09-24-2014, 11:45 AM
I thought a player should've at least played 3 years with a team to get bird rights?

Lebron's deal is 1 year with player option for the 2nd year right? So wouldn't he have bird rights on the 3rd year?

Wasn't the point of being a free agent in 1-2 years time was so he can cash in the the new salary cap?
Don't know the specifics of owning Bird Rights, but I do think you're right that Cavs don't/won't have them for Love or Lebron.

That said, you don't need Bird Rights to resign your players, even if over the cap. They just need to be on your roster. Bird Rights come into play when you want to offer more money/years than other teams. That's it.

hawksdogsbraves
09-24-2014, 11:53 AM
lebrons agency represents tristan, so the more tristan makes, the more money lebron and his agency make.

after bledsoe (who he seems to have ****ed up on) tristan will be rich paul/lebron's second free agent, so he will want to prove he can get his clients good money.

im expecting tristan to get overpaid

Judging by how poorly he has handled Bledsoe, I don't think he's a particularly good agent. Not too hard to convince a team to give Bran max money.

If he can convince the Cavs to pay Thompson $11 mil a year though, then he's not too shabby. Paul Millsap got $8mil/yr on the open market a year ago and he's twice the player Thompson is, (at least).

DukeDelonte13
09-24-2014, 12:50 PM
Judging by how poorly he has handled Bledsoe, I don't think he's a particularly good agent. Not too hard to convince a team to give Bran max money.

If he can convince the Cavs to pay Thompson $11 mil a year though, then he's not too shabby. Paul Millsap got $8mil/yr on the open market a year ago and he's twice the player Thompson is, (at least).

I think ultimately bledsoe will get paid but I agree about rich paul. You really gotta question any pro athlete's decision making when they are putting their contract negotiations in the hands of some kid who didn't even go to college. Agents are typically practicing attorneys, and Rich Paul is just some kid who bonded with Lebron in high school.

There is a lot more to negotiating a contract than just talking about numbers.

hawkfan
09-24-2014, 01:19 PM
I think ultimately bledsoe will get paid but I agree about rich paul. You really gotta question any pro athlete's decision making when they are putting their contract negotiations in the hands of some kid who didn't even go to college. Agents are typically practicing attorneys, and Rich Paul is just some kid who bonded with Lebron in high school.

There is a lot more to negotiating a contract than just talking about numbers.

Lakers had money to spend, and they had Nash's contract to stretch out, so that would have been a good situation.

Don't know what happened there.

Optimus Prime
09-24-2014, 03:35 PM
LeBron needs to learn from Kobe here.

"Ship his a** outta town!"

Seriously, trade him now while his stock is high. Dude isn't worth nearly that much.

:kobe:

G-train
06-29-2015, 10:51 PM
Interesting.

bobopenguin
06-29-2015, 10:55 PM
lol..

the moment he gets his contract, he's gonna rot until the next contract year.
then Lebron is gonna jump cos he cant stand playing with these clowns.

wally_world
06-30-2015, 02:51 AM
He's worth it, just not sure if for that role in Cleveland