PDA

View Full Version : CBS Sports: "NBA Coaching Rankings: Our ratings for every NBA coach"

Legends66NBA7
09-23-2014, 08:13 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24720910/nba-coaching-rankings-our-ratings-for-every-nba-coach

[QUOTE]Training camp begins in a week, and players have already trickled into their respective cities to begin training in earnest. We're taking a look at coaches in the NBA this week at Eye on Basketball, starting today with this, your Coach of the Year preseason rankings.

As I looked at last year, ranking coaches is incredibly difficult, and the best way to do it is to break it into tiers because some coaches have different expectations, and that factors into their ranking. It's not just how good a coach they are; most of these guys are unbelievably terrific, which is why they coach in the NBA. It's about their ability to do the job they specifically are tasked with.

The following rankings come with a number on a 1-10 scale. The closer a coach is to 10, the closer they are to being considered the favorite for coach of the year. The closer they are to one, the closer they are to the possibility of being fired. So an 8.0 means that if that team were to win 60 games, that coach would have a great shot at winning coach of the year. Likewise, a 3.5 doesn't mean that that coach is close to losing his job right now, but if the team starts off something like 0-15, the fire under his seat will be insanely hot.

Overall, I wouldn't consider any one coach on the hot seat to start the year, which is rare. There are a few who could find the seats warming quickly with a slow start, but everyone's pretty safe right now, for once.

Coaches are judged on:

JT123
09-23-2014, 08:23 PM
LOL at Spo being one of the elites! :facepalm

bluechox2
09-23-2014, 08:27 PM

they still using them lebron filters

Rojogaqu11
09-23-2014, 08:40 PM
Sad to not see Adelman on list this year.

Milbuck
09-23-2014, 08:42 PM
Well deserved spot for Carlisle. One of the most under appreciated coaches in the league.

But LOL at Spo ranked over Thibs. I'd take Hornacek, Budenholzer, Stotts, Hollins, and SVG over him as well, with plenty more that are arguable..

Legends66NBA7
09-23-2014, 08:46 PM
Sad to not see Adelman on list this year.

He retired.

On April 21, 2014, Adelman announced his retirement from coaching in the NBA. It was also announced that he would stay with the Timberwolves as a consultant.

GrapeApe
09-23-2014, 08:59 PM
I find it funny that people trash Spo yet he's regarded by nearly everyone as an elite coach, most notably current and former peers in the coaching profession (including the guy who hired him).

navy
09-23-2014, 09:01 PM
Erik Spolestra is criminally underrated. He's come a long way from his video coordinator days.

JimmyMcAdocious
09-23-2014, 09:01 PM
Was the the mid to late 00s the GOAT coaching era? With Pop, Carlisle, Phil, Brown, Adelman, Karl, Nelson, Sloan...

bukowski81
09-23-2014, 09:21 PM
I find it funny that people trash Spo yet he's regarded by nearly everyone as an elite coach, most notably current and former peers in the coaching profession (including the guy who hired him).

Its mostly Lebron stans following their agendas so no need to take them seriously

Horde of Temujin
09-23-2014, 09:39 PM
Scott Brooks:roll: :roll: :roll:

Milbuck
09-23-2014, 09:43 PM
I didn't trash him. Just don't think he's a top 4, and sure as hell not better than Thibs. I have him in the lower end of my top 10..

PacerRaptor
09-23-2014, 10:22 PM
Erik Spoelstra?? Wtf you gotta me kidding me. We'll see how great he is next year without Lebron and an injured Wade

Burgz V2
09-23-2014, 10:25 PM
ranking Spo ahead of Thibs is completely ridiculous.

Brizzly
09-23-2014, 10:38 PM
Spoelstra is criminally underrated on ISH, especially by LeBron fans but he is overrated on this list. I'd put him in the "hot commodity" group and push up Frank Vogel. Would also push down Doc Rivers and bring up Stan Van Gundy.

1. Popovic
2. Carlisle
3. Tom Thibadeou
4. Van Gundy
5. Vogel

JT123
09-23-2014, 10:50 PM
Spoelstra is criminally underrated on ISH, especially by LeBron fans but he is overrated on this list. I'd put him in the "hot commodity" group and push up Frank Vogel. Would also push down Doc Rivers and bring up Stan Van Gundy.

1. Popovic
2. Carlisle
3. Tom Thibadeou
4. Van Gundy
5. Vogel
I see what you did there. Pushing all the non white coaches out of the top 5. :coleman:

KyrieTheFuture
09-23-2014, 11:12 PM
People upset about Spo....how about ****ing Doc the most overrated coach EVER? Blatt also has a projected higher rating than Thibs...yea okay

I<3NBA
09-24-2014, 03:04 AM
because RINGS. duh.

if you noticed, the top 4 coaches all have rings. Carlisle has one. Rivers has one. Spo has 2. Pop has 5. They are the only active coaches with rings in the NBA. the rest are ringless.

i would rank Spo above Rivers though.

1. Pop
2. Carlisle
3. Spo
4. Rivers

truth be told, i would bump Thibs down into the hot commodities tier and out of the elites. he runs his players down to the ground. he will definitely never win a championship.

FPJ
09-24-2014, 03:27 AM
Thibs is just as overrated as Rivers is. His rotation is plain awful sometimes, he keeps some players for 40+ mins in stupid situations and the Bulls offense looks messy.

He's a good reg season coach, though.

We'll see how good of a coach Spo is this season.

aj1987
09-24-2014, 03:37 AM
He an idiot when it comes to rotations. Runs retarded plays from time to time as well. Still, he's a pretty good coach, but not elite. I would consider coached like Pop, Carlisle, Thibs, etc. elite. Not Spo.

Graviton
09-24-2014, 03:49 AM
He an idiot when it comes to rotations. Runs retarded plays from time to time as well. Still, he's a pretty good coach, but not elite. I would consider coached like Pop, Carlisle, Thibs, etc. elite. Not Spo.
I used to think Thibs was elite, but after a while you figure out that "elite" regular season performance comes at the expense of his players. Bulls are always dealing with injuries since Thibs has no idea how to manage minutes. He rides his players so hard that by playoff time they are all gassed and half dead. He has no offensive system and just forces everyone to play hard physical defense for 82 games. That's terrible in the long run.

And Spo is just as good as Thibs as far as D goes. His rotating/trapping defense was amazing, if not better than Thibs' own system with Noah as anchor. Both of them suck offensively but Miami still looked better out there with Lebron/Bosh/Wade when they were locked in.

Rotations seem to be the issue of 99% of coaches though, every fan complains about them. :oldlol:

fiddy
09-24-2014, 04:18 AM
Spo and Rivers are ridiculously overrated.

livingby3's
09-24-2014, 04:32 AM
Glad to see Horny being so highly regarded after the last season as a rookie head coach :cheers: mad props. Suns are in good hands