PDA

View Full Version : Is there a bigger waste of talent than Micheal Beasly?

navy
09-23-2014, 09:03 PM
Title.

Eric Cartman
09-23-2014, 09:18 PM
Due to being lazy and poor work ethic? yea

Due to injury? Greg Oden, Grant Hill etc.

Both? Andrew Bynum

G0ATbe
09-23-2014, 09:28 PM
LeBald. Give Kobe that body and he averages at least 50ppg/10rpg

dubeta
09-23-2014, 10:21 PM
LeBald. Give Kobe that body and he averages at least 50ppg/10rpg

Give LeBron Kobe's body and your username would have been GoatBron

oarabbus
09-23-2014, 10:33 PM

:lol

MiseryCityTexas
09-23-2014, 11:06 PM
Lebron was better than Kobe even before Kobe's injury.

HylianNightmare
09-23-2014, 11:07 PM
Those dudes that did coke and ended up dead or out of the league

Noyze
09-24-2014, 12:09 AM
Nope, because he was overrated to begin with. Beasley is nothing more then another tweener, and we all know tweeners don't lead winning teams. They score alot of points on losing teams but never start for winning ones...Except Charles Barkley.

chocolatethunder
09-24-2014, 09:27 AM
Title.
I'm still trying to figure out why everyone thinks he's talented. I think over the course of his seven year NBA career it's been proven that he is exactly what he seems to be. Let's see, he had one great year in college and one decent year in the NBA. So that's two better than average years out of eight. So two good years vs six bad ones. I think that explains the type of player he is. I was being nice and using his college year as something that could make you think he was talented. However, there have been oodles of players who were studs in college whose games didn't translate to the NBA.

JohnMax
09-24-2014, 10:11 AM
The powerful myth of Michael Beasley's talent (www.sbnation.com/2013/9/11/4719210/michael-beasley-talent-phoenix-suns-nba-free-agencya)

BoogieWoogieMan
09-24-2014, 10:13 AM
Tim Thomas.

During their Bucks' days, Ray Allen use to tell reporters that TT could be the best player in the NBA, if only he could give a shit.

Akrazotile
09-24-2014, 10:18 AM
I'm still trying to figure out why everyone thinks he's talented. I think over the course of his seven year NBA career it's been proven that he is exactly what he seems to be. Let's see, he had one great year in college and one decent year in the NBA. So that's two better than average years out of eight. So two good years vs six bad ones. I think that explains the type of player he is. I was being nice and using his college year as something that could make you think he was talented. However, there have been oodles of players who were studs in college whose games didn't translate to the NBA.

Thats a one hot album every ten year average.

JohnMax
09-24-2014, 10:54 AM
Tim Thomas.

During their Bucks' days, Ray Allen use to tell reporters that TT could be the best player in the NBA, if only he could give a shit.

Who is TT?

CeltsGarlic
09-24-2014, 11:01 AM
Who is TT?

Tim Thomas

Thorpesaurous
09-24-2014, 12:04 PM
Tim Thomas should've been a monster. Derrick Coleman should've been a HoFer too. Rasheed Wallace should've been better than he was. Chris Webber was among the best prospects I'd ever seen (although his issues may have had more to do with health).

But all of those guys at least put together admirable pro careers, even if they weren't what many had envisioned.

Beasley hasn't even done that. But I am inclined to agree with both Noyze and Chocolate Thunder. He was a tweener to begin with, and I'm not sure he was ever that great a prospect to begin with. Tweeners are historically difficult to figure out. And he wasn't a tweener who was a particularly good shooter at that. I thought Durant was a little bit of a tweener, but he could shoot. And Parker is a bit of that now. Beasley was probably closer to Derrick Williams as a prospect, who's fared just about as well.

Dragic4Life
09-24-2014, 12:12 PM
:roll:

Crimsonrain777
09-24-2014, 12:18 PM
Thats a one hot album every ten year average.
good job

Noyze
09-24-2014, 12:46 PM
Tim Thomas should've been a monster. Derrick Coleman should've been a HoFer too. Rasheed Wallace should've been better than he was. Chris Webber was among the best prospects I'd ever seen (although his issues may have had more to do with health).

But all of those guys at least put together admirable pro careers, even if they weren't what many had envisioned.

Beasley hasn't even done that. But I am inclined to agree with both Noyze and Chocolate Thunder. He was a tweener to begin with, and I'm not sure he was ever that great a prospect to begin with. Tweeners are historically difficult to figure out. And he wasn't a tweener who was a particularly good shooter at that. I thought Durant was a little bit of a tweener, but he could shoot. And Parker is a bit of that now. Beasley was probably closer to Derrick Williams as a prospect, who's fared just about as well.

But Durant was 6'9" for Texas at the time, with the handle and the shooting as you mentioned, so we knew he was a SF. Hell, some scouts even pegged him as a tall SG. Jabari Parker is definitely a SF, they just throw around the stretch 4 comparisons alot cause of the way the league is today.

There's a huge misconception that alot of Tweeners don't reach their potential, they are what they are, players with no true position. Thus usually they end up being no more then a spark off your bench. Look at the 6th Man of the Year award winners of the last 20 years, over 90% of them are tweeners. Lamar Odom, Jamaal Crawford, Toni Kukoc, Jason Terry, Danny Manning, Leandro Barbosa, Anthony Mason, John Starks, Antawn Jamison, Ben Gordon ect. Like Beas most of them don't play defense either, usually their size ends up being a liability at one position.

So as it was mentioned earlier Beasley's talent was a myth. He could carve out a solid pro career, but was never gonna be the superstar people pegged him to be out of college. :pimp:

RoTM
09-25-2014, 05:23 PM
If Beasley could shoot like Carmelo they wouldn't be that different.

GrapeApe
09-25-2014, 06:03 PM
Beasley's talent isn't a myth at all. He's in the league based off of pure ability. There's not many guys with such indifference toward the game who can step on an NBA court and average 20ppg.

Smoke117
09-25-2014, 06:13 PM
No. He he was never as talented as you all want to think. He doesn't have NBA athleticism. Sure he dominated in college, but even if he wasn't a lazy sob he wouldn't be anything special at this level.

PsychoBe
09-25-2014, 06:41 PM
your father's sperm

oarabbus
09-25-2014, 07:41 PM
No. He e was never as talented as you all want to think. He doesn't have NBA athleticism. Sure he dominated in college, but even if he wasn't a lazy sob he wouldn't be anything special at this level.

How did he average 20ppg as a first option then if even on a go-nowhere team?

Jimmer is an example of someone who doesn't have NBA athleticism. Or Hasheem Thabeet. Beasley is a top level NBA athlete, he just doesn't have anything else

Da KO King
09-25-2014, 07:46 PM
Beasley was an overrated prospect. His going in the top 3 of the draft was a classic case of group think spurred by the YouTube era of scouting. Everything about his game and his past decisions told you drafting him high would be an error.

People thought he was an elite athlete because on dunk contest performances, totally ignoring that he couldn't play above the rim in games. People saw the rebound totals and thought he was an elite rebounding, ignoring that he never boxed out and would occasionally sacrifice the integrity of the defense to chase rebounds. People thought he would exploit SFs in the post, ignoring that he has no go-to move. They thought he's exploit PFs on the perimeter, ignoring that his ball handling became extremely poor in reduced space of half court.

Beasley was never what the media and fans thought he was.

Bigsmoke
09-25-2014, 07:51 PM
I never believed the hype to begin with. At best I thought he was gonna be Antwan Jamison.

NuggetsFan
09-25-2014, 07:57 PM

He averaged 14/5 on 47% shooting in 25 minutes a night which was good for 2nd on that Miami team who made the playoffs. Averaged 15/6 the next season in just 30 minutes a game. All while being kept on a leash in Miami due to the fact that Wade was in his prime and they were more concerned with winning games than developing Beasley. He could have been dropping 15+ easily on a rebuilding team who was patient with him. Put up 19/6 in Minny after Miami and had a two month stretch averaging 23 points a game on 48% shooting.

Didn't care or have the right mentality, never committed to defense, immaturity made teams give up on him and he started in the worst possible place for a player like him. He would have been better off walking into a Melo/Durant type situation. Talent was always there. Never Melo/Durant talent like was projected but he coulda been similar to Jamison with the right head on his shoulders.

navy
09-25-2014, 07:58 PM
Beasley's talent isn't a myth at all. He's in the league based off of pure ability. There's not many guys with such indifference toward the game who can step on an NBA court and average 20ppg.

This, what are these people talking about? You can watch Beasly play and see he has talent. How else did he make it here? Hard work? Elite athleticism? Size? No. This guy can ball. He's just too dumb to realize it.

Smoke117
09-25-2014, 07:59 PM
How did he average 20ppg as a first option then if even on a go-nowhere team?

Jimmer is an example of someone who doesn't have NBA athleticism. Or Hasheem Thabeet. Beasley is a top level NBA athlete, he just doesn't have anything else

You just answered your own question. That Twolves team won 17 games and he averaged 19.2 points on 17 shots...that isn't exactly difficult to do. Averaging 19.2 points on poor efficiency on that Wolves team means absolutely nothing.

MMM
09-25-2014, 08:02 PM
Vin Baker prior to being consumed by his demons looked like he was on the verge of blowing up.

Bigsmoke
09-25-2014, 08:10 PM
Vin Baker prior to being consumed by his demons looked like he was on the verge of blowing up.

Beasley is that but with weed

NuggetsFan
09-25-2014, 08:13 PM
You just answered your own question. That Twolves team won 17 games and he averaged 19.2 points on 17 shots...that isn't exactly difficult to do. Averaging 19.2 points on poor efficiency on that Wolves team means absolutely nothing.

Compared to other All-Stars/elite talent yeah. Compared to regular players, people underrate the ability to get your shot off. Your average NBA player can't average 23 points for 2 months or 19 points for a season.

Secondly he was only 22 at that point. That was his first season getting the leash took off and playing on a team that gave him more opportunities. In Miami with Wade he was benched because of his defense at times, and he wasn't the focal point of things obviously. Durant averaged 20 points on 17 shots his rookie season, Carmelo 21 on 18 shots. Now Beasley wasn't anywhere near them but lots of players struggle efficiency wise in those kinda situations as the star.

Beasley had enough talent to be a fringe All-Star with the right mentality and without all the stupidity. Coulda threw numbers up on lotto teams, was already a 2nd option on a playoff team despite all that stuff as a rookie :confusedshrug:

GrapeApe
09-25-2014, 09:54 PM
This, what are these people talking about? You can watch Beasly play and see he has talent. How else did he make it here? Hard work? Elite athleticism? Size? No. This guy can ball. He's just too dumb to realize it.

Yep. Beasley is a legit 25/8 talent but he treats basketball like most people treat a 9-5 menial job. He punches in, punches out, and collects his check. It's a means of paying the bills and funding his lifestyle, nothing more. Like I said earlier, to be that good at something with complete indifference toward it is remarkable.

Legends66NBA7
09-25-2014, 10:04 PM
Title.

I'd say it's Darius Miles.

navy
09-25-2014, 10:13 PM
I'd say it's Darius Miles.
Why?

Legends66NBA7
09-25-2014, 10:38 PM
Why?

Miles was an all-around player and a highly touted prospect. I've seen comparisons to Kevin Garnett. His frame and wingspan were also similar to Durant.

Unfortunately, he had many off court issues just like Beasley but had a shorter career due to a knee injury. The worst incident was probably to his ex-coach Mo Cheeks.

During the 2004–05 season, Miles made headlines after a confrontation with then-coach Maurice Cheeks in which Miles reportedly insulted Cheeks with racial slurs and remarked he "did not care if the team were to lose the next 20 games" since Cheeks was "going to be fired anyway".

According to ESPN's Chad Ford and other accounts, after Cheeks asked Miles to leave, Miles' response was "Make me." When Cheeks left the room to see Blazers' general manager John Nash, Miles ran behind him shouting, "That's right, run to your daddy."

He had the talent: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8yFXsyGafI

Just not the brain and motor to bring the consistency on and off the court.

akts
09-26-2014, 12:57 AM
There were many.
Off my head ..Benoit Benjamin, The Candy man Michael Olowokandi , Sam Bowie, Shawn Bradley, hell even Harold Miner. The baby jordan that didnt really do squat in the nba, I know there's more I just can't recall off my head right now. All these guys had the talent that had GM's drooling when they picked them.

Adam Morrison was another as well.

Beasley just seems lazy and smokes too much weed.

CarlosBoozer
09-26-2014, 01:19 AM
Beasley's talent was never a myth, he was legit. He could of averaged 24/8 with decent defense if he was never lazy and had actual work ethic.

Random_Guy
09-26-2014, 03:32 AM
There were many.
Off my head ..Benoit Benjamin, The Candy man Michael Olowokandi , Sam Bowie, Shawn Bradley, hell even Harold Miner. The baby jordan that didnt really do squat in the nba, I know there's more I just can't recall off my head right now. All these guys had the talent that had GM's drooling when they picked them.

Adam Morrison was another as well.

Beasley just seems lazy and smokes too much weed.
sam bowie had a respectable career that was plauged with injuries, he was just unluck enough to have been picked before the goat

AirFederer
09-26-2014, 04:06 AM
Miles was an all-around player and a highly touted prospect. I've seen comparisons to Kevin Garnett. His frame and wingspan were also similar to Durant.

Unfortunately, he had many off court issues just like Beasley but had a shorter career due to a knee injury. The worst incident was probably to his ex-coach Mo Cheeks.

He had the talent: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8yFXsyGafI

Just not the brain and motor to bring the consistency on and off the court.

Wow Miles was just sick! So athletic, leaps out of the gym, nice jumper. I guess he lacked in mental stability...

bizil
09-26-2014, 04:56 AM
I would say u could make the case he is. I think part of the problem was he was listed at 6'10 in college. He turned out to be 2 inches shorter so he became a tweener. But dude has the scoring skill set to be an effective SF. He's pretty much the size of Melo and should be an All Star caliber SF who can swing to PF at times like Melo. I just think Beasley is livin the dream, smokin the best green, and hittin the freaks. However u can STILL be a superstar and do the same things! He just doesn't have the work ethic to do it.

Dresta
09-26-2014, 05:46 AM
That was his average at the end of the season, but he came into that season pretty motivated, and looked like he was having a breakout year the first half of the season. This was 5 consecutive games early in the season:

http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?id=301114001
http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?id=301115030
http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?id=301110023
http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?id=301112016
http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?id=301117016

Hitting the gamewinner in that Clippers game. But then he got some ankle injuries in Jan and early Feb and he turned into super hot garbage until this year when it looked like he'd turned a corner in Miami as he was playing some great ball at times. Remember a Raptors game Spo put him in at the end of the game for defensive reasons and he did well.

His talent is undeniable to people who've actually watched him a decent amount, just unlikely to ever be realised. His tweener size is also being exaggerated: he has the same standing reach as Kevin Love, a guy who manages to lead the league in rebounding - his problems are mental, not physical.

AintNoSunshine
09-26-2014, 06:37 AM
:roll: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

ihatetimthomas
09-26-2014, 01:13 PM
People need to consider that perhaps this is what he is. A decent offensive player who doesnt impact the game in any other way. There have been so many guys like that who have come and gone in the league. I dont feel like they are wasted talents bc a lot of them just would not be capable to being a star in the league. He was all hype coming into the league. There are players who actually had talent that was wasted. I dont believe that in Beasley.

ralph_i_el
09-26-2014, 01:50 PM
Beasly somehow became afraid of contact after college. So he sucks at rebounding and finishing at the rim. Doesn't try on D and can't pass. He can shoot though but that's about it.

moe94
09-26-2014, 01:52 PM
slayed

JohnnySic
09-26-2014, 01:54 PM
He's a 6'7" tweener. Too slow for the 3 and not big enough for the 4. And, I guess, unmotivated/lazy.

Despite that, he could have been decent, like the guy in my avatar, who is the same kind of tweener..
<=========

MiseryCityTexas
09-28-2014, 07:36 PM
He's a 6'7" tweener. Too slow for the 3 and not big enough for the 4. And, I guess, unmotivated/lazy.

Despite that, he could have been decent, like the guy in my avatar, who is the same kind of tweener..
<=========

Thunder were idiots for letting Jeff Green go. He was like the Scottie Pioppen to Durant's Jordan.

SyRyanYang
09-28-2014, 07:40 PM
Just as I thought this was going to be another Kobe vs Lebron thread

what a plot twist

good job ish

Smoke117
09-28-2014, 07:53 PM
Thunder were idiots for letting Jeff Green go. He was like the Scottie Pioppen to Durant's Jordan.

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Scottie+Pippen+Charlotte+Bobcats+v+Chicago+R9IFfzZ hTy1l.jpg