PDA

View Full Version : LeBron's diet this summer - no carb/sugar or dairy for 67 days

oarabbus
09-23-2014, 10:30 PM
LeBron James shared new details of the diet that saw him lose more than 10 pounds this summer, and it sounds even more extreme than we realized.
James told reporters at his Nike sneaker event in Oregon that he cut out everything except meat, fish, fruit, and vegetables for 67 days. He did it to "test his mental fortitude," The Oregonian reports.

He told SI:

"I had no sugars, no dairy, I had no carbs. All I ate was meat, fish, veggies and fruit. That's it. For 67 straight days."

He told the Oregonian that he had "lost a ton of weight" — so much weight that he's now trying to put back on a few pounds.

LeBron's weight loss has been one of the big stories of the NBA off-season. After he posted an Instagram photo looking downright skinny in August, speculation began that he was on a Paleo diet. Brian Windhorst of ESPN reported that he dropped more than 10 pounds after going on a low-carb diet.

So what exactly was he eating all summer?

He posted photos of a few meals on Instagram this summer, and they seem to follow the 67-day diet he described.

For one lunch he had "arugula salad with chicken, strawberries, mango, cashews and olive oil/lemon vinaigrette dressing."

lebron james salad
@kingjames

For another he had lobster salad with mango chutney:

lebron james salad
@kingjames

When he was on vacation in Greece the hotel made him a personalized cake, which he didn't eat, apparently because he was off added sugars.

There are multiple theories why LeBron decided to lose weight this summer. Windhorst told ESPN's Bill Simmons that LeBron was in relatively poor shape at the beginning of the 2013-14 season after winning the title in 2013 and getting married that summer. He added that LeBron has always been a bit self-conscious about his weight, listing himself at 250 pounds when he's clearly in the 260s.

lebron james loses weight
@kingjames
LeBron looks svelte going into the 2014-15 season.

There's also a Kobe Effect at work. After Kobe successfully extended his career by losing weight as he entered his mid-30s, a bunch of NBA stars are following his lead. LeBron, Carmelo Anthony, and Dwyane Wade all dropped weight this summer.

A little more than a month before the NBA season, it looks as if the best player in the world is leaner than we've seen him in a long, long time.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/lebron-james-sugar-carbs-diet-2014-9#ixzz3ECEvBweN

dubeta
09-23-2014, 10:33 PM
Still looks big

http://i60.tinypic.com/ev8655.jpg

oarabbus
09-23-2014, 10:38 PM
Still looks big

Yeah... no carb, not no protein dude

G0ATbe
09-23-2014, 10:39 PM
His diet was no PEDs. He "slimmed down" as soon as news of PED testings came up, and now as the season approaches his weight is coincidentally creeping back pound by pound.

oarabbus
09-23-2014, 10:41 PM
His diet was no PEDs. He "slimmed down" as soon as news of PED testings came up, and now as the season approaches his weight is coincidentally creeping back pound by pound.

You know Kobe did the same thing 2 years ago right.

dubeta
09-23-2014, 10:41 PM

Better than taking yearly trips to Germany for illegal 'procedures' there.

If you dont think Kobe's getting his yearly HGH injections you're fooling yourself

Smook A.
09-23-2014, 10:42 PM
All I ate was meat, fish, veggies and fruit
Fish is meat, LeBron :lol

Budadiiii
09-23-2014, 11:17 PM
Does he want a medal for this or something? He seems proud that he did this. It's ****ing easy to eat like that. Unlimited beef, eggs, fish, and fruit? That's all I eat anyway....

This guy isn't mentally tough if that was hard for him

therammingman
09-23-2014, 11:22 PM
fruit = carbs

edrick
09-23-2014, 11:28 PM
Does he want a medal for this or something? He seems proud that he did this. It's ****ing easy to eat like that. Unlimited beef, eggs, fish, and fruit? That's all I eat anyway....

That part was kind of ridiculous. But, if Lebron craves any of the foods that he cut out on a daily basis, that does make it more challenging to not cheat at least once a week.

Budadiiii
09-23-2014, 11:40 PM
That part was kind of ridiculous. But, if Lebron craves any of the foods that he cut out on a daily basis, that does make it more challenging to not cheat at least once a week.
Good. And I know about those cravings... You drink a glass of water and get over, like a man.

This guy is a top level athlete, I would hope he could have some discipline with diet, even if it means overcoming weak ass cravings a couple times a day. He needs to man the hell up. He never had a father to tell him that but if I was face to face with lebron, I'd spit a loogie on his grill and tell him to do something about it. If he yells: "security!!!!" I will know my theory's are correct

TheGreatDeraj
09-23-2014, 11:40 PM
That was definitely a low carb diet and not a no carb diet. There are carbs in Cashews, strawberries and mangos.

I definitively expect him to get lighter, because with Kevin Love's rebound then outlet passing ability along with Irving's passing skills, Lebron will need to run the floor and punish the defense.

Plus the Cavaliers have a deep frontcourt with: Varajao, Love, Thompson, Marion and Haywood. I expect Lebron to play primarily the SF position this year, so losing a little weight and focusing more on quickness is a smart idea.

Mr. Jabbar
09-24-2014, 02:12 AM
hes on a crab diet

SavageMode
09-24-2014, 02:18 AM

Lol this guy acting tough online with a wrestling wwe avi..
acting like you know anything about this

It's harder than you think to go without carbs, you feel weak af without sugar

Budadiiii
09-24-2014, 02:22 AM
Lol this guy acting tough online with a wrestling wwe avi..
acting like you know anything about this

It's harder than you think to go without carbs, you feel weak af without sugar
Fruit has plenty of sugar, you ****ing dipshit. And I know all about the paleo lifestyle.... you are zapped of energy until your body adjusts to using fat for fuel, instead of carbs, and then you feel and look better than ever.

LeBron is too p*ssy to go on a real carb restricted diet WITHOUT fruit. And so is your fat ass. You couldn't do it for half a day.

Brokenbeat
09-24-2014, 02:24 AM
Dubeta wants to make a LeBron James salad just so he can toss it. :banana:

I<3NBA
09-24-2014, 02:41 AM
hes on a crab diet
:lebronamazed:
:yaohappy:

oarabbus
09-24-2014, 02:43 AM
hes on a crab diet

:lol

J Shuttlesworth
09-24-2014, 02:46 AM
He shouldn't be avoiding carbs. He should be avoiding empty carbs. You should still eat complex carbs, especially with as much training as these guys do.

RoseCity07
09-24-2014, 02:53 AM
fruit = carbs

That's what I'm saying. I don't understand. I think even a complex carb is a sugar.

CavaliersFTW
09-24-2014, 02:56 AM
Give him a break he just changed States/teams, had to find a new PED dealer. Nothing to worry about guys he'll gain his 10-15lbs worth of illegal weight back.

dubeta
09-24-2014, 03:01 AM
Give him a break he just changed States/teams, had to find a new PED dealer. Nothing to worry about guys he'll gain his 10-15lbs worth of illegal weight back.

So he has no PED connections in Cleveland even though he played there for 7 years? :lol

oarabbus
09-24-2014, 03:09 AM
That's what I'm saying. I don't understand. I think even a complex carb is a sugar.

It is, I just used the title of the article. All sugars are carbohydrates. There are starches and sugars present in all fruits and vegetables, just sometimes a low amount. The title should be no "extraneous" carbs, as in no carbs except the ones that "accompany" fat/protein/fiber/etc naturally.

CavaliersFTW
09-24-2014, 03:15 AM
So he has no PED connections in Cleveland even though he played there for 7 years? :lol
You serious? Drug dealer mortality rate in Cleveland is 2 years at best. He's been out of town for 4. He's practically starting from scratch. :confusedshrug:

BrownEye007
09-24-2014, 03:17 AM
fruit = carbs
So are vegetables but they're a different kind of carbs than stuff like bread, which is what he meant. I cut carbs out of my diet sometimes too that doesn't mean I stop eating fruit and veggies.

iznogood
09-24-2014, 03:35 AM
So are vegetables but they're a different kind of carbs than stuff like bread, which is what he meant. I cut carbs out of my diet sometimes too that doesn't mean I stop eating fruit and veggies.
Then you don't really cut out the carbs, you only pass on a snicker bar somebody might offer. A carb is a carb, looking from macro nutritional standpoint. Especially those found in fruit, which are basically simple sugars. I can see the health benefits of not eating processed sugar, but saying 1000 kcal carbs from fruit will make you loose weight faster than 1000 kcal worth of sugar is wrong.

Cali Syndicate
09-24-2014, 04:15 AM

Sugar is a simple carb. They are the most easiest to digest, basically instant energy.

Complex carbs are found in whole grains, legumes and most vegetables. these carbs take longer to break down giving you a more sustained energy.

I really don't get it though either. Basically he's just cutting calories. That's it. Big whoop.

And Paleo diet is dumb in my opinion. Your body needs carbs, period. if youre active and you don't eat enough carbs, your body will break down the stored glycogen in your body, which a lot is found in your muscles, to fuel itself. Basically your body is breaking down your own muscle tissue. Not only that, the body will also break down all that protein you're consuming as fuel instead of using it as amino acids which the body needs for basically everything, not just muscle growth.

CavaliersFTW
09-24-2014, 04:17 AM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.lemondrop.co.uk/media/2010/10/drugscorbis.jpg

iznogood
09-24-2014, 04:21 AM
Sugar is a simple carb. They are the most easiest to digest, basically instant energy.

Complex carbs are found in whole grains, legumes and most vegetables. these carbs take longer to break down giving you a more sustained energy.

I really don't get it though either. Basically he's just cutting calories. That's it. Big whoop.

And Paleo diet is dumb in my opinion. Your body needs carbs, period. if youre active and you don't eat enough carbs, your body will break down the stored glycogen in your body, which a lot is found in your muscles, to fuel itself. Basically your body is breaking down your own muscle tissue. Not only that, the body will also break down all that protein you're consuming as fuel instead of using it as amino acids which the body needs for basically everything, not just muscle growth.
Maybe you are mixing up paleo and ketogenic diets? Paleo diet doesn't ask you to limit your carb intake.

Cali Syndicate
09-24-2014, 04:37 AM
Maybe you are mixing up paleo and ketogenic diets? Paleo diet doesn't ask you to limit your carb intake.

It doesn't, but how much fruits do you think a person can consume? Physically active people aren't going to hit their caloric needs on the paleo diet.

tomtucker
09-24-2014, 04:44 AM
:lol :oldlol:

tomtucker
09-24-2014, 04:48 AM
watermelons are packed full of sugar................you can feel it on your teeth afterwards

iznogood
09-24-2014, 05:12 AM
It doesn't, but how much fruits do you think a person can consume? Physically active people aren't going to hit their caloric needs on the paleo diet.
I think it's definitely possible, many elite crossfitters eat paleo and they train extremely hard. You probably would need to eat fruits with lots of sugar though - dates, figues, grapes and such. Than there's sweet potatoes, which fit paleo as well.
To be honest, I'm just not sure it's really worth it. Also paleo diet is expensive.

clipps
09-24-2014, 07:18 AM
I think he meant gluten free diet. What a dumb ass.

hahaitme
09-24-2014, 08:35 AM
lmao @ some of the kids in here acting like it's easymode to drop carbs for 2 months.

no bread, no rice, no pasta, etc. meals turn terrible real quick

ArbitraryWater
09-24-2014, 08:55 AM

Not what you think about when hearing meat though... They differentiate that.

Rolando
09-24-2014, 09:25 AM
Great diet however, as many have mentioned, fruits have carbs. What he really did is stay away from "starches". Bread, pasta, potatoes, rice etc.

Excellent diet. Also, 10 pounds is a realistic number for the weight he has lost in that span of time.

Wally450
09-24-2014, 10:29 AM

Maybe LeBron is Catholic

Papaya Petee
09-24-2014, 06:25 PM
Maybe LeBron is Catholic
There's a difference between paltry and actual meat. The carbs and sugars found in just fruit aren't enough to fuel a bodybuilder or a high class athlete like Lebron thru his workouts. Thats why when he cut out rice pasta bread sweet potatoes etc thats why he lost so much weight. Couldn't do it. As a part of my low carb days for the gym I still eat about 150 grams of carbs a day about 300 on normal days and 450 grams on high carb days. I dont know how anyone can go without carbs I feel very flat and weak.

oarabbus
09-24-2014, 06:56 PM
Not what you think about when hearing meat though... They differentiate that.

If "They" differentiate meat from fish it's because "they" are morons.

Maybe LeBron is Catholic

People who don't consider fish to be meat are fuxcking idiots. Doesn't matter if you're Catholic, religion isn't an excuse for dumbassery. Catholics eating fish on Fridays because it "isn't meat" is the biggest crock of horseshit and speaks more about poor willpower than anything else.

rmt
09-24-2014, 08:53 PM
It's impossible to do a no-carb diet - even meat has carbs - just slow (acting). With a low carb diet, you replace the carbs with (good) fats - olive, coconut, nuts/seeds, animal fat/skin.

I'm diabetic so I eat meat/fish/eggs, no fruit except avocado and olives, and slow acting veggies - cabbage, brussell sprouts, broccoli, green leafy veggies (no root veggies [no carrots, potatoes, etc]) and LOTS of oils. Guaranteed to lose weight on this diet.

As far as Lebron is concerned, IMO it's great that he lost weight. It'll prolong his career (which is what this summer is all about - young team mates to help carry the team as he ages and less weight on the body).

Eric Cartman
09-24-2014, 09:05 PM
strawberries have carbs sugars, lots of it, also, so do mangos

Trollsmasher
09-25-2014, 06:37 AM
he's down to 250s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI1_rbQpQwc

:applause:

Blue&Orange
09-25-2014, 08:44 AM
Fruit has plenty of sugar, you ****ing dipshit. And I know all about the paleo lifestyle.... you are zapped of energy until your body adjusts to using fat for fuel, instead of carbs, and then you feel and look better than ever.

LeBron is too p*ssy to go on a real carb restricted diet WITHOUT fruit. And so is your fat ass. You couldn't do it for half a day.
Paleo diet if for retards... there are scientific proof of use of grains 30000 years ago unlike paleo retards tell you.

These idiots tell you beans are bad because of the anti-nutrients which is hilarious dumb.

Paleo diet is another tool to collect money from the sheep.

Few weeks ago i run on some blog of some "nutritionist" with a "M.D.", telling all about that there is no problem with the content of omega 6 in nuts and seeds that the problem is the lack of omega 3 and advising people to just pop some omega 3 pills... lol first the problem IS omega 6, the amount of omega 6 consumed have grow ten fold compare do our ancestral, and nuts and seeds have more than cooking oil. Second didn't know the paleolithic man had omega 3 pills at their disposal. :lol

If you want a scientific based diet, go for the katogenic diet, although i also don't advice... long term restricting carbs is bad bad bad.

A healthy diet is moderation and variety, everything is bad for you that's it, evertyhing even those nuts and seeds those paleo retards love, air can make you pass out if you breathe to much, water can kill you if you drink to much.

Andy Hug
09-25-2014, 04:00 PM
Don't know why yall hate on steroids... They're great. Arms be looking like two veiny cocks hanging from my shoulders while looking dryer than a 90 year old snatch

oarabbus
09-25-2014, 04:07 PM
Paleo diet if for retards... there are scientific proof of use of grains 30000 years ago unlike paleo retards tell you.

These idiots tell you beans are bad because of the anti-nutrients which is hilarious dumb.

Paleo diet is another tool to collect money from the sheep.

Few weeks ago i run on some blog of some "nutritionist" with a "M.D.", telling all about that there is no problem with the content of omega 6 in nuts and seeds that the problem is the lack of omega 3 and advising people to just pop some omega 3 pills... lol first the problem IS omega 6, the amount of omega 6 consumed have grow ten fold compare do our ancestral, and nuts and seeds have more than cooking oil. Second didn't know the paleolithic man had omega 3 pills at their disposal. :lol

If you want a scientific based diet, go for the katogenic diet, although i also don't advice... long term restricting carbs is bad bad bad.

A healthy diet is moderation and variety, everything is bad for you that's it, evertyhing even those nuts and seeds those paleo retards love, air can make you pass out if you breathe to much, water can kill you if you drink to much.

Is English not your first language?

Also nutritionists don't have MD degrees.

Baller1986
09-25-2014, 04:12 PM
I love Lebron's passion and dedication to the game.

SpecialQue
09-25-2014, 04:14 PM
I love Lebron's passion and dedication to the game.

I don't.