PDA

View Full Version : Who's better at their respective sport--Kobe or Jerry Rice?

sportjames23
09-24-2014, 07:31 AM
How does the 2nd GOAT SG compare to the GOAT receiver?

Kobe's achievements:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_career_achievements_by_Kobe_Bryant

Jerry's achievments:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RiceJe00.htm

The_Pharcyde
09-24-2014, 08:46 AM
Jerry Rice is on another level than Kobe when it comes to their respective sports

ArbitraryWater
09-24-2014, 08:53 AM
This is not close

Ca$H
09-24-2014, 08:57 AM
Good comparison. Both had elite work ethic, stacked teams(Montana, Steve Young, Shaq), and both are not historically talented. Calvin Johnson, Randy Moss, Dez Bryant, and a few others are all more physically/athletically gifted than Rice. Jordan, LeBron, T Mac, Vince Carter, and a few others are more physically/athletically gifted than Kobe. I say Kobe is better because he won with Gasol. Rice needed Montana and Steve Young.

Ca$H
09-24-2014, 08:59 AM
Jerry Rice is on another level than Kobe when it comes to their respective sports

LOL Montana = Shaq. Steve Young >>>> Gasol. Rich Gannon >>>> Odom.

Kobe wins.

sportjames23
09-24-2014, 09:10 AM
This is not close

Which way doe?

3peated
09-24-2014, 09:15 AM
they are both top tier athletes in their respective sports, to the point where you can't place one higher or lower than the other

MP.Trey
09-24-2014, 09:20 AM
Rice = Consensus GOAT at his position and case for overall GOAT.
Bryant = Probably second best at his position all-time and probably top 6-10 but even that is debatable.

Gimme Rice.

Ca$H
09-24-2014, 09:23 AM
Rice = Consensus GOAT at his position and case for overall GOAT.
Bryant = Probably second best at his position all-time and probably top 6-10 but even that is debatable.

Gimme Rice.

Rice had Montana and Steve Young. Megatron and Moss are better than him.

ralph_i_el
09-24-2014, 12:04 PM
Rice had Montana and Steve Young. Megatron and Moss are better than him.

:rolleyes: Like those guys haven't had great QB's and played in great situations in a more pass-first, pass-friendly era.

Montana= GOAT
Rice= SGOAT

ImKobe
09-24-2014, 12:17 PM
You know Kobe lives rent free in y'all heads when you're comparing him to GOATs of other sports...

What's next - Kobe vs Ali?

ImKobe
09-24-2014, 12:19 PM
:rolleyes: Like those guys haven't had great QB's and played in great situations in a more pass-first, pass-friendly era.

Montana= GOAT
Rice= SGOAT

Moss played with shit QBs for most of his career, the year he finally played with an all-time great QB, he had 23 touchdowns in one season and what should have been a SB-winning TD catch. Moss however fell off quick after that.

Moss GOAT deep threat and GOAT WR talent, TO ain't far off either. Rice just had better work ethic and longetivity.

Ca$H
09-24-2014, 12:22 PM
Moss played with shit QBs for most of his career, the year he finally played with an all-time great QB, he had 23 touchdowns in one season and what should have been a SB-winning TD catch. Moss however fell off quick after that.

Moss GOAT deep threat and GOAT WR talent, TO ain't far off either. Rice just had better work ethic and longetivity.

Same description fits for Kobe.

ImKobe
09-24-2014, 12:25 PM
Same description fits for Kobe.

It does really. Both Rice and Kobe are GOAT-worthy in terms of skills at their respective positions.

In Kobe's case, you had guys like T-Mac & Wade, who people thought could be greater than Kobe, but they didn't have the longetivity to match him and they fell way short in terms of individual success.

GrapeApe
09-24-2014, 12:42 PM
Rice put up his numbers when you were actually allowed to play defense. I can only imagine the numbers he'd put up in today's touch football league where scrub QB's throw for 4,000 yards.

Cold soul
09-24-2014, 12:46 PM
Kobe and Rice careers are nearly identical. They both had amazing longevity, crazy competitive, GOAT skill set, and had GOAT work ethic stayed with one franchise. I've always made the comparison in so many ways Rice like Kobe weren't blessed with freakish athleticism at WR position you had freaks like Calvin Johnson, Randy Moss, TO, Dez Bryant, etc. Rice was never as athletic as those guys for Kobe it was T-Mac, Vince Carter, Lebron, and Jordan. These two broke so many records that will stand for a very long time and you can the case are greatest players in their franchise history.

Cold soul
09-24-2014, 12:52 PM
I've been asked who's the Jerry Rice of the NBA? I say Kobe each and very time for the reasons posted above.

Prometheus
09-24-2014, 01:09 PM
Kobe and Rice careers are nearly identical. They both had amazing longevity, crazy competitive, GOAT skill set, and had GOAT work ethic stayed with one franchise. I've always made the comparison in so many ways Rice like Kobe weren't blessed with freakish athleticism at WR position you had freaks like Calvin Johnson, Randy Moss, TO, Dez Bryant, etc. Rice was never as athletic as those guys for Kobe it was T-Mac, Vince Carter, Lebron, and Jordan. These two broke so many records that will stand for a very long time and you can the case are greatest players in their franchise history.

http://www.nndb.com/people/375/000105060/jerry-rice-1-sized.jpg

Cold soul
09-24-2014, 01:13 PM
http://www.nndb.com/people/375/000105060/jerry-rice-1-sized.jpg

Oh crap I forgot he was with the Raiders in early 2000's with Rich Gannon and company. Well Rice at least had a few productive seasons in Oakland. I should of remember that and Rice ended his career in Denver getting one of last roster cuts.

Mass Debator
09-24-2014, 01:14 PM
There's only 1 other shooting guard that I'd take before Kobe in an all-time draft...Jordan.

There's 2 other receivers I'd take over Rice in an all-time draft...Moss and Calvin.

GrapeApe
09-24-2014, 01:23 PM
There's only 1 other shooting guard that I'd take before Kobe in an all-time draft...Jordan.

There's 2 other receivers I'd take over Rice in an all-time draft...Moss and Calvin.

MAYBE I take Calvin Johnson because of his freakish physical ability, but no way I take Moss and his baggage ahead of Rice.

Xiao Yao You
09-24-2014, 01:29 PM
Rice

Cold soul
09-24-2014, 01:30 PM

I think both their peaks were higher than Rice but Randy had lower valleys he was known to take plays off being lazy while unmotivated at times. I mean look at what happened in Oakland with Moss it was a total disaster at that time in some ways it did hurt his career then thankfully New England rejuvenated his career. Calvin it remains to be seen time will only if anyone can go down as GOAT WR it's him.

kshutts1
09-24-2014, 01:31 PM
A more appropriate comparison would be Wilt v Rice.

ImKobe
09-24-2014, 01:33 PM
A more appropriate comparison would be Wilt v Rice.

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11114/111142124/3907593-8870966785-proxy

kshutts1
09-24-2014, 01:38 PM
I don't understand the gif response.

Wilt and Rice basically own the record book in their respective sports.
Considering their relative greatness, both have disappointing championship counts.
Both changed roles part/mostway through their career.

I'm talking impact and what they did, not the raw physical attributes of Wilt vs the not-as-eye-popping attributes of Rice.

kennethgriffin
09-24-2014, 01:43 PM
kobe = 5 rings
rice = 3 rings

kobe = 2 time finals mvp
rice = 1 time superbowl mvp

kobe = 11 first team all nba's
rice = 10 first team all pro

kobe = 4 time all-star mvp
rice = 1 time pro bowl mvp

kobe = 16 time allstar
rice = 13 time pro bowler

kobe = sporting news athlete of the decade
rice = NFL all decade team

rice leads in allot of catigories. but he had joe montana and steve young for nearly every single play. and those guys are ranked ahead of rice on this list

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2014-06-23/top-10-san-francisco-49ers-of-all-time-nfl-photos-jerry-rice-joe-montana-ronnie-lott-steve-young/slide/2

kobe on the other hand had a better career without shaq than he had with shaq. and won titles with gasol who isnt even top 100 all time in terms of accomplishments in the nba

montana and young are right up there with the best players all time

but most importantly.

IN BASKETBALL

people play the defensive end just as many times as the offensive end

kobe has 12 all defensive teams ( all time record 9 first team all defense )

so in football. kobe would have been the best wide reciever AND one of the best defensive ends

basketball players have 2 jobs. football players have 1 job

and considering kobe was also leading play maker for LA ( leading all 5 teams in assists )

that would also make kobe the quarterback for LA aswell

rice doesnt compare

ImKobe
09-24-2014, 01:45 PM
I don't understand the gif response.

Wilt and Rice basically own the record book in their respective sports.
Considering their relative greatness, both have disappointing championship counts.
Both changed roles part/mostway through their career.

I'm talking impact and what they did, not the raw physical attributes of Wilt vs the not-as-eye-popping attributes of Rice.

Rice didn't hold that many records anyways and Moss broke Rice's single season TD record and Rice did not play in a weaker/stone-age era.

Plus, Wilt isn't arguable for GOAT at his position while Rice is more often than none considered the GOAT WR.

kshutts1
09-24-2014, 01:49 PM
Rice didn't hold that many records anyways and Moss broke Rice's single season TD record and Rice did not play in a weaker/stone-age era.

Plus, Wilt isn't arguable for GOAT at his position while Rice is more often than none considered the GOAT WR.
Wilt, like Rice, is arguably the GOAT in his sport.

kennethgriffin
09-24-2014, 01:51 PM
kobe bryant basically played as jerry rice, joe montana and patrick willis for the Lakers

rice played as rice for the 49ers

football players dont compare in the slightest to someone like kobe bryant who does everything

PERIOD

kennethgriffin
09-24-2014, 01:55 PM
there is no such thing as GOAT football player due to the fact that football has so many 1 dimensional players

theres a best QB

theres a best WR

theres a best RB

theres a best DE

theres a best TE

etc...

because a QB is only as good as his offensive line. a wide reciever is basically a conjoined twin with his QB. one without the other is useless

basketball on the other hand. 1 guy can play QB, RB, WR and defense

kshutts1
09-24-2014, 01:59 PM
there is no such thing as GOAT football player due to the fact that football has so many 1 dimensional players

theres a best QB

theres a best WR

theres a best RB

theres a best DE

theres a best TE

etc...

because a QB is only as good as his offensive line. a wide reciever is basically a conjoined twin with his QB. one without the other is useless

basketball on the other hand. 1 guy can play QB, RB, WR and defense

Not my opinion. But Rice was voted #1 football player ever by NFL.com. That's where I gathered that info/opinion from.

GrapeApe
09-24-2014, 01:59 PM
kobe bryant basically played as jerry rice, joe montana and patrick willis for the Lakers

rice played as rice for the 49ers

football players dont compare in the slightest to someone like kobe bryant who does everything

PERIOD

I agree football is too specialized to make a true comparison.

ImKobe
09-24-2014, 02:00 PM

Wilt is arguably GOAT? he isn't even the best at his position :oldlol:

And there's no such thing as a GOAT in the NFL... you can only say GOAT at a certain position, and even then it's highly debatable because Football is so much more of a team sport than basketball.

kshutts1
09-24-2014, 02:02 PM

And there's no such thing as a GOAT in the NFL... you can only say GOAT at a certain position, and even then it's highly debatable because Football is so much more of a team sport than basketball.
Arguably does not mean definitively. Some people have very good arguments for Wilt as the GOAT, much less best C.

And I agree on football, but as I previously stated, none other than NFL.com has Rice as the greatest football player ever.

Cold soul
09-24-2014, 02:08 PM

Well said. You can't compare football players that play a different position against each other while in basketball you can. The NFL is the ultimate team game while a single player has more impact on his team in basketball.

Ca$H
09-24-2014, 02:16 PM
Well said. You can't compare football players that play a different position against each other while in basketball you can. The NFL is the ultimate team game while a single player has more impact on his team in basketball.

That's true but I also think comparing perimeter players to bigs is ridiculous.

Cold soul
09-24-2014, 02:23 PM
That's true but I also think comparing perimeter players to bigs is ridiculous.

Yeah it really is lol. You do see debates who the greater player is between bigs and perimeter players on all-time scale. But yeah you can't really compare them.

oarabbus
09-24-2014, 02:39 PM
Rice > Kobe, Rice perhaps >= MJ

SamuraiSWISH
09-24-2014, 03:05 PM
OP answered it himself. Rice = GOAT WR ... Kobe = 2nd best SG?

sportjames23
09-24-2014, 03:07 PM
Rice > Kobe, Rice perhaps >= MJ

:biggums:

reported

KingBeasley08
09-24-2014, 03:36 PM
Rice for sure

G0ATbe
09-24-2014, 04:09 PM
Easily Kobe.