PDA

View Full Version : What happens when you pair Carmelo w a smart pg who can shoot?

el gringos
09-24-2014, 08:42 AM
Carmelo has played with a smart pg who can shoot twice so far

Gerry McNamara= NCAA national championship

Billups= wcf

Carmelo is not today's typical perimeter 3. Carmelo is at his best playing inside-out. Anyone think Calderon might be a great fit?

chips93
09-24-2014, 09:14 AM
i think at this stage we know who carmelo is

maybe you can win a title with him as your best player, but only if he has a great supporting cast, that makes up for his weaknesses

jose calderon is a solid player, but he doesnt move the needle all that much.

JohnMax
09-24-2014, 10:09 AM
Should've went to Golden State than. Curry is a lights out shooter.

Akrazotile
09-24-2014, 10:14 AM
Carmelo has played with a smart pg who can shoot twice so far

Gerry McNamara= NCAA national championship

Billups= wcf

Carmelo is not today's typical perimeter 3. Carmelo is at his best playing inside-out. Anyone think Calderon might be a great fit?

Why would you single out Carmelo for this?

A smart PG who can shoot will usually help any team be successful. Dont try to give Carmelo credit for the pg's impact...

Jlamb47
09-24-2014, 10:18 AM
It makes the team better, Carmelo just need good role players

Akrazotile
09-24-2014, 10:23 AM
It makes the team better, Carmelo just need good role players

Carmelo is a role player too, Im not sure why so many people are obsessed with putting together teams where he has to be the star. Why? Why do bball fans need to believe Carmelo is a superstar? Bc the media says so? People are so stupid.

No team is gonna win with Carmelo playing like a shot-jacking iso ball hero. I dont care how "hot" he is for a stretch of games, it's never gonna last long enough to win four playoff series against good teams.

They need a TEAM on which he plays within a limited role like everyone else. Hes not Lebron. Hes a ROLE player. Period.

I swear man, people just think in whatever parameters espn presents to them. Good lord.

rlsmooth775
09-24-2014, 10:33 AM
He might make the second round

kshutts1
09-24-2014, 10:44 AM
Carmelo is a role player too, Im not sure why so many people are obsessed with putting together teams where he has to be the star. Why? Why do bball fans need to believe Carmelo is a superstar? Bc the media says so? People are so stupid.

No team is gonna win with Carmelo playing like a shot-jacking iso ball hero. I dont care how "hot" he is for a stretch of games, it's never gonna last long enough to win four playoff series against good teams.

They need a TEAM on which he plays within a limited role like everyone else. Hes not Lebron. Hes a ROLE player. Period.

I swear man, people just think in whatever parameters espn presents to them. Good lord.
I agree that he's no Lebron James. No one currently playing is. But I'd like to hear you name 16 other better first options.
Fact is, every team needs a first option, and Melo is a top 5-10 first option, if not top 3-5.

Akrazotile
09-24-2014, 10:47 AM
I agree that he's no Lebron James. No one currently playing is. But I'd like to hear you name 16 other better first options.
Fact is, every team needs a first option, and Melo is a top 5-10 first option, if not top 3-5.

Uh, the world champion spurs dont.

And why are teams like the Grizzlies, Nuggets, Bulls, Suns etc better than the Knicks??

The idea you need a volume chucking iso scorer to be successful is retarded.

Thorpesaurous
09-24-2014, 11:08 AM
I agree with Gringos to a degree. Certainly not that they're a title team. But Calderon is a good fit. Frankly he's just a good player in general, but he's a good fit as well with the Knicks.

In addition to being a good fit with Melo, he's a good fit in the Triangle. The triangle typically doesn't push pace. And they want to minimize mistakes because of it, which Calderon does. And they want their PG to be able to stretch the floor opposite the triangle, which Calderon also does.

And the things Calderon is not great at, pushing tempo, creating for others, penetrate and finishing, creating on PnR, he really won't be asked to do that often.

kshutts1
09-24-2014, 11:25 AM
Uh, the world champion spurs dont.

And why are teams like the Grizzlies, Nuggets, Bulls, Suns etc better than the Knicks??

The idea you need a volume chucking iso scorer to be successful is retarded.
I said "first option". I did not say "volume chucking iso scorer".

Parker is the Spurs first option.

Randolph for Grizz.

Rose for Bulls.

Lawson for Nuggets.

Dragic for Suns.

Now please name 16 first options better than Melo.

Akrazotile
09-24-2014, 12:21 PM
I said "first option". I did not say "volume chucking iso scorer".

Now please name 16 first options better than Melo.

But you clearly equate the quality of a "first option" with iso volume scoring and not all around basketball impact, otherwise you would not think so highly of Carmelo.

There are LOTS of players with more bball impact than Carmelo. Sometimes it's because they know when NOT to dominate the ball and be center of attention. Most of the guys you mentioned are better bball players than Anthony, and there are plenty of others.

Having a player like Carmelo Anthony isnt remotely a prerequisite for success.

kshutts1
09-24-2014, 12:32 PM
But you clearly equate the quality of a "first option" with iso volume scoring and not all around basketball impact, otherwise you would not think so highly of Carmelo.

There are LOTS of players with more bball impact than Carmelo. Sometimes it's because they know when NOT to dominate the ball and be center of attention. Most of the guys you mentioned are better bball players than Anthony, and there are plenty of others.

Having a player like Carmelo Anthony isnt remotely a prerequisite for success.
I'm not arguing that having a player "like Carmelo Anthony" is a prerequisite for success.

I will argue that Melo has more of an offensive impact, as a first option, than most players.

But your reluctance to name 16 better first options is telling me that you can't.

If you don't want to go with the handle of "first option" then please name 16 more impactful offensive players than Melo.

bizil
09-25-2014, 03:02 AM
The thing with the SF position is the fact that point forward kind of skills are a bonus and not a premium. So Melo shouldn't be knocked for not having that kind of game. And of course he's not the best defender either. But he's a true CLUTCH alpha dog who has one of the greatest scoring skillsets ever. He's also one of the top three rebounding SF's in the L too.

So HELL YA Melo can lead a team to a title. But it's a team game so he needs the pieces to win. Billups was still in his prime in Denver and one of the most complete two way PG's ever. After guys like Payton and Frazier, I think guys like Billups and Dennis Johnson gotta come up next. So in that case, Melo had the supporting cast to navigate the tough Western Conference and get to the WCF. It's a shame Amare is hobbled with injury and not the same player. I think the triangle is the kind of offense where both guys could thrive.

Nowitness
09-25-2014, 10:25 AM
He'd missed the playoffs again.